Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
The 'Blind outplaying Smalling' line is one that just becomes true if it gets repeated enough. I'm certain that nonsense was debunked recently with ratings of Blind and Smalling from every game in the 2nd half of last season, where Smalling still came out on top in the majority of games. It keeps coming back though.
By whom? If you mean by Caf, I have no doubt that you are right. I mean, he was rated more than Alderweireld too.

Interestingly, if you look at squawka's rating after that Wolfsburg match (I looked only for EPL, didn't bother for Europa), Smalling got 300 points on 20 matches (an average of 15 points per match) with Blind 362 points on 21 matches (an average of 17.23 points per match). Of course it is not the absolute truth, but it agrees with my rating of them, and what I have been saying since a long time (even when Caf decided that Smalling is Bobby Moore on steroids).

Over the course of the first half, Smalling was much better, but Blind was a bit shit there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Smalling certainly needs a big run of form in the second half of the season.
Bailly has come in and done well, Jones and Rojo are playing well, and you can't see us not going for a good centre back in the summer.

We can't surely run with 5, so Smalling must be number 1 suspect to go as it stands.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I don't want us to sell him but I don't think he will be a mainstay in our first team.His lack of ball playing skills is a major Achilles heel for us and leads to panic with the defense especially with hoofing it out .However Jones will get injured again and Rojo' s form will dip or he might be sent off. So I'd keep him.

Not sure he is willing to be cover though.

Kant-ona

A few months ago, this guy was - next to De Gea - the only player close to what we would call "good enough for Man Utd". Now he is in a difficult situation, however, he has shown that he can be one of the best defenders around, he has shown that he cares about the club, so show some loyalty. Criticism? No problem. But personally I wonder about posts like "hopefully we sell this guy".

ti vu

Well, I just finished watching the game again, trying to get some understanding of where the Smalling critics were coming from (that's not why I watched it again, but I was keeping an eye on it). And it just furthered my confusion.

Smalling made a bit of a mistake for the goal, but otherwise the closest other thing to a 'mistake' was soon afterwards when Adama Traore was able to get around him out wide and put a low pass into the box (but Traore had moments where he went past everyone with that ridiculous pace). Otherwise he was very solid, clearing eveything in his area in the air and not letting anything get past him on the ground.

Meanwhile, Bailly 'mistakes' led directly to two of the better chances for Boro (pushing up somewhat out of position to go for a header, and then not winning it), and I noticed something on watching the game again that I haven't seen anyone else mention - he was quite lucky not to concede a foul right outside the box (and get a yellow) for taking out Traore after he'd passed the ball and was running past him. And if somebody is going down the 'well his mistakes didn't lead to goals' route, earlier in the season he made a very similar mistake as what Smalling did to concede a goal.

Both were generally solid in the game. Nothing more, nothing less.
We played Boro who struggled for goal. Had our CB gifted them 4 chances each then noone can argue if we pay hefty for a new CB this winter transfer.

I wrote in one of the threads yesterday Bailly was BAD too, but unlike Smalling he did try to take responsibility at time., and defend outside our box.

Beside that 1vs 1 Traore you mentioned, Smalling for some reason positioned himself so far off Blind who was targeted, not just this game. What Rojo did well the previous game he started that he cover alot for the left back which Darmian, Blind both was targeted. The feel was that we sniff out the danger further from our goal. Yesterday though, more often than not Blind was 1 vs 1 with Traore with huge space between him and Smalling. Blind subbed off, but the goal again was similar with huge space left between Rojo and Smalling, yet for some reason he drop deep and opened move space and inviting trouble. It's like he's afraid of defending on front foot for some weird reason with all the power and pace he has.

Already talked about his passing earlier in this thread where he refused to attack the space and help create opening for his teammate. He just passed the ball to his teammate for the sake of passing rather. He's not the only one though Fellaini did similar so that we had period of frustration in possession.

Again, in no mean, I want him sold. Just saying he is far from our best CB as some people claimed with all his performance this season, playing injured, rusty or not.

Jaybomb

A few months ago, this guy was - next to De Gea - the only player close to what we would call "good enough for Man Utd".
Where do people come up with this stuff? Martial, Mata, Rashford were all more influential than Smalling last season.

Smalling played good cause of Blind. His calmness on the ball and reading of the game was a big help to him. Put Smalling with Jones, Rojo or Bailly and he is shite. Never a leader.

AN17

If he could cut out the brainfart moments, he'd be a top player. Looked like a leader for most part of last season, then goes on to get sent off for an unnecessary tackle in the most important game of the season.Been doing it for a while, that red card in Manchester derby, some silly goals conceded due to a moments lapse of concentration can make him look pretty average and liability at times. Needs to get his act together if he intends to be here long term.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I wrote in one of the threads yesterday Bailly was BAD too, but unlike Smalling he did try to take responsibility at time., and defend outside our box.

Beside that 1vs 1 Traore you mentioned, Smalling for some reason positioned himself so far off Blind who was targeted
I do agree with the latter to some extent, there were a couple of times where Smalling probably should have been a little wider to help Blind. But considering he was playing on the left side when he's spent most of his career on the right, doing that a couple of times a game is understandable and hopefully he'll improve. Especially considering that exact thing is a strength of his when he's on his normal right, as he spent all last season consistently covering for Valencia when he was getting caught out of position and also Blind beside him.

With the former, I don't get that at all. Smalling has always been quite aggressive in taking responsibility and winning the ball. A good example is that moment in the second half where he came up and won the ball between two Boro players to keep us on the attack, but then the ref wrongly gave a free kick against him because he was knocked over by one of them and fell into the other.

ti vu

I do agree with the latter to some extent, there were a couple of times where Smalling probably should have been a little wider to help Blind. But considering he was playing on the left side when he's spent most of his career on the right, doing that a couple of times a game is understandable and hopefully he'll improve. Especially considering that exact thing is a strength of his when he's on his normal right, as he spent all last season consistently covering for Valencia when he was getting caught out of position and also Blind beside him.

With the former, I don't get that at all. Smalling has always been quite aggressive in taking responsibility and winning the ball. A good example is that moment in the second half where he came up and won the ball between two Boro players to keep us on the attack, but then the ref wrongly gave a free kick against him because he was knocked over by one of them and fell into the other.
When I mean taking responsibility, for example there is moment when the ball is between Smalling and Bailly on left sided of our formation after we conceded. We need the goal, Smalling was standing there confused and Bailly just had to get there. There is few other occasion when Smalling keeps pointing DDG to move the ball other than his direction while DDG seems to intend to pass it to Smalling.

We were better not only in attack but in defense after Smalling was subbed off despite playing 3 at the back. By this point, I meant ability to defend and killed the space (defend high up field on front foot) is as very important for modern CB/defender. Bailly Rojo Valencia were very comfortable playing this way. We can commit more men forward while with high line we took Negredo out of equation altogether so less opponent attacker to worry about. Rojo and Valencia were even contribute in attack by provide width. Smalling was rusty after injury so we can cut him some slack in his defense, but I don't see him have ability to play such high line into edge of final third like we did later this game.

Last edited:

Kant-ona

Where do people come up with this stuff? Martial, Mata, Rashford were all more influential than Smalling last season.

Smalling played good cause of Blind. His calmness on the ball and reading of the game was a big help to him. Put Smalling with Jones, Rojo or Bailly and he is shite. Never a leader.
Let's see what the players themselves voted: "Manchester United's first-team stars have voted Chris Smalling as their Player of the Year for 2015/16, recognising the defender’s superb season and illustrating the high regard in which he is held by his colleagues."

I know, they are only players, not experts like we are. But still interesting.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Geez a lot of guys are pretty harsh. Smalling is going nowhere any time soon. I think many of you bashing Smalling are not giving Mourino enough credit (or time) to work with the lad. He's got lot's going for him. 95% of the time his positioning is very good. I agree, not always, but in a good CB partnership, each need to cover for the other was we've been seeing between Rojo & Jones. Sometimes it takes a little time for CB's to really mesh. Smalling has the height to compete with the biggest of strikers and wins a lot of aerial battles. Smart move by Jose to swap him in and take Carrick out of the back four after the goal. I can see him & Bailly becoming a top notch combination but I'm glad to see Jones hanging tough and demanding (deserving) a spot in the team.

Jaybomb

I just don't understand why anyone would want to break up the RoJones combination. They are outstanding together and the reason we've been unbeaten for so long.

Sylar

Was happy to see him come on instead of fellaini for the height difference, just cos it made more sense (and allowed Carrick to move forward).
He did well today when needed which was good to see after his last game.

m1y2

This and Lingard thread lures so many stupid posters, why are we even discussing something like selling him, he was our best defender last year ffs.. Rojo and Jones are having a great run of form and if they maintain their form I have no problem with them staying our first choice now but Smalling showed he's monster of a player when in form so there is no way he will not improve under Jose, he will and I think he will eventually end up partnering Bailly so we go for the pure power, after this season halfway through I am convinced we don't need any CB, we have them four, plus Blind and great some youngsters coming through

stevoc

Surprised some people actually think Blind was a better Centre back than Smalling last season.

Blind isn't even a centre back, it took Jose all of 6-8 weeks to figure that out.

ti vu

Geez a lot of guys are pretty harsh. Smalling is going nowhere any time soon. I think many of you bashing Smalling are not giving Mourino enough credit (or time) to work with the lad. He's got lot's going for him. 95% of the time his positioning is very good. I agree, not always, but in a good CB partnership, each need to cover for the other was we've been seeing between Rojo & Jones. Sometimes it takes a little time for CB's to really mesh. Smalling has the height to compete with the biggest of strikers and wins a lot of aerial battles. Smart move by Jose to swap him in and take Carrick out of the back four after the goal. I can see him & Bailly becoming a top notch combination but I'm glad to see Jones hanging tough and demanding (deserving) a spot in the team.
I think the issues is with Smalling himself not being vocal, communicate well to build a partnership. More often than not, it's his partner given it Evans, Rojo, Jones, Blind, Bailly doing the commander role. There is no equal mutual communicating as we see in good partnership in Rio-Vida and to lesser extent RoJones recently. I didn't mean Smalling didn't point or communicate. What I meant is more often than not when Smalling command, pointing, his teammate simply ignore him on many occasion as if they don't share same view of play. With RoJones, Bailly Blind earlier in the season, we season that they trust each other and seem to think in similar way hence better interchange, better notice each other communication.

You can rewatch these last couple games and see how Smalling was ignored at time to make sure I am not talking nonsense.

Surprised some people actually think Blind was a better Centre back than Smalling last season.

Blind isn't even a centre back, it took Jose all of 6-8 weeks to figure that out.
I think it's not as clear cut as you meant.

There is this modern ball playing CB who is less competent in traditional CB stuff but is held on high regard by possession based team. They try to defend as a team further away from goal and using possession as main defensive tactic. In that sense, Blind was better toward the end of last season. Blind had flawless vs Hull City earlier in the season that Mourinho had no choice but to stick to him until Blind being found out. Smalling has not been doing much better so it's pointless to point out who's better than who now. Smalling definitely more favored by Mourinho if we have to defend deep though. Playing the optimal style Mourinho's trying to implement I think both suffering from different flaw and IMO prevent them to become first choice had the other 3 being fit.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
I just don't understand why anyone would want to break up the RoJones combination. They are outstanding together and the reason we've been unbeaten for so long.
Thanks to a change in formation and Carrick getting back into the team offering top notch protection in front of the back four. Same way you always talk about Blind and Smalling only doing well last season because of LVG's defensive tactics

AkaAkuma

I think Smalling was one of the main players to benefit from Van Gaals tactics, something Mourinho also alluded to earlier in the season (without naming names). He looks a very good player when he knows his role, but under pressure he isn't particularly composed or a dominant character.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think Smalling was one of the main players to benefit from Van Gaals tactics, something Mourinho also alluded to earlier in the season (without naming names). He looks a very good player when he knows his role, but under pressure he isn't particularly composed or a dominant character.
Smalling dominated the players he was tasked to mark last season. Including Kane, Vardy, Lukaku and others. He stepped it up with his aggression and he was encouraged by LVG to do so. I don't know what games you were watching last season. Just look at his compilation vids for last season. He was very aggressive and very proactive and handled himself very well under pressure

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
A few months ago, this guy was - next to De Gea - the only player close to what we would call "good enough for Man Utd". Now he is in a difficult situation, however, he has shown that he can be one of the best defenders around, he has shown that he cares about the club, so show some loyalty. Criticism? No problem. But personally I wonder about posts like "hopefully we sell this guy".
If by "a few months" you mean a year, and if you by him and De Gea you mean De Gea, him, Martial & Carrick, then sure.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
This and Lingard thread lures so many stupid posters, why are we even discussing something like selling him, he was our best defender last year ffs.. Rojo and Jones are having a great run of form and if they maintain their form I have no problem with them staying our first choice now but Smalling showed he's monster of a player when in form so there is no way he will not improve under Jose, he will and I think he will eventually end up partnering Bailly so we go for the pure power, after this season halfway through I am convinced we don't need any CB, we have them four, plus Blind and great some youngsters coming through
:rolleyes:

RedCurry

Obviously there's a lot of good/bad analysis on this thread but I haven't seen it being mentioned. Smalling looks far more comfortable playing on the right side of CB pairing. Every time he plays LCB he gets his body is all sorts of weird positions and lands in trouble. It's not as evident in the goal conceded against Boro but that own goal against Everton in FA Cup was a prime example. He really should only be played as a RCB.

No matter what you say though, a player coming from injury sometimes can struggle to fit right away. Especially in this instance because since his last game, we have really turned around our style of play.

ti vu

Obviously there's a lot of good/bad analysis on this thread but I haven't seen it being mentioned. Smalling looks far more comfortable playing on the right side of CB pairing. Every time he plays LCB he gets his body is all sorts of weird positions and lands in trouble. It's not as evident in the goal conceded against Boro but that own goal against Everton in FA Cup was a prime example. He really should only be played as a RCB.

No matter what you say though, a player coming from injury sometimes can struggle to fit right away. Especially in this instance because since his last game, we have really turned around our style of play.
Problem is we have Jones and Bailly also favor right sided of the CB position. Making them play on the left may as well negate their passing. Adding that with Smalling limited ability on ball, we may risk playing hoof ball majority of the game vs teams pressing well and well organized. This point was mentioned before in this thread and the Lindelof thread where people speculated that Mourinho may want to add a LCB since Blind was no longer fancied at CB with Rojo our only comfortable option.

It's not we turned around our style of play, but we clicked, and struck balance with RoJones (Jones and Rojo had worse games than their previous especially for Jones). Both can help building tempo and rhytm form the back to certain good level, which Smalling struggled while Bailly is still erratic with his passing.

Ferguson

Smalling is an excellent CB when played on the right.

Jones will always get injured playing the way he does, and then he'll be out of the team. Rojo is playing the best football of his career, but we still don't know how long this form can last.

Selling Smalling is the dumbest idea around. You don't sell a guy who is proven in the Premiership to get a guy who has only done it in the Portuguese league.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
You can rewatch these last couple games and see how Smalling was ignored at time to make sure I am not talking nonsense.
I don't think it's the just last couple of games you have to watch. Smalling was a key last year to us not being humiliated. As bad as our season was, Smalling was consistently one of our best players. Moreover he had some stellar games & matured immensely as the year progressed. This year he's been injured lost his place in the starting eleven; that's just the way football works sometimes. Make no mistake, Smalling has a role in the team & I'm sure he'll play his part in whatever successes we achieve in 2017.
As for leadership, before his injury I'm pretty sure he was captaining the team in the absence of Rooney and Carrick, no? That suggests to me that somebody who knows a few things about leadership thought he could handle the on-field communications?
If Carrick is rested & Rooney is still hurt who will skipper the side? If Smalling plays, will it be him or is Pogba ready to take the armband? Only Jose knows.

ti vu

I don't think it's the just last couple of games you have to watch. Smalling was a key last year to us not being humiliated. As bad as our season was, Smalling was consistently one of our best players. Moreover he had some stellar games & matured immensely as the year progressed. This year he's been injured lost his place in the starting eleven; that's just the way football works sometimes. Make no mistake, Smalling has a role in the team & I'm sure he'll play his part in whatever successes we achieve in 2017.
As for leadership, before his injury I'm pretty sure he was captaining the team in the absence of Rooney and Carrick, no? That suggests to me that somebody who knows a few things about leadership thought he could handle the on-field communications?
If Carrick is rested & Rooney is still hurt who will skipper the side? If Smalling plays, will it be him or is Pogba ready to take the armband? Only Jose knows.
The communicating on field, leadership on field may be different than in dressing room. Some players have both, some have only one aspect.

Rooney is our captain and well high regarded by his teammate but as countless of Rooney thread, people pointed out he is not a good captain. Keane may be tense and players don't communicate with him off pitch as friend but on the pitch he commands and dictate our play. Carrick is similar to Rooney that he lacks they captain aura but respected as senior figure in the squad. At time, both can't lift the team spirit which we saw in Keane, Vidic...

If anything it was the leadership in this team that took a huge blow under Moyes. LVG took the job with little leadership and had to spend on his trust on Rooney and went to death with his my captain always play policy.

Back to Smalling, LVG named Darmian Blind Shaw as 3 guaranteed starters at the start of his second season despite Smalling was main stay toward the end of the first. Jones was playing with those 3 for majority of pre season and only injury prevents him to challenge Smalling for that RCB spot. As I said above you can easy see in game how players blend with each others and for preferred partnership.

Being one of the best in a different system with different mentality not equals to being able to transfer that to another system and different mentality. Removing RVN for benefit of opting for a more fluid, free flowing system with inferior goalscorer Saha as no 9 (injury prone) helped us move forward since Saha has better understanding with Ronaldo Rooney. RVN's flaw in scoring outside the box makes, aerial threat, makes our play too static and predictable.

Mata, Valencia were given the armband by Mourinho on different occasion, so i don't think we need to worry about missing of these official captains since even captain Rooney has become droppable. The team is evolving and there would be changes. When Mourinho first took over the LVG's old captains order was kept as not to destabilize the dressing room, just like how LVG had Fletcher as vice captain before his departure and Carrick took the place.

Last edited:

ti vu

Smalling was great last season. But people keep forgetting the real hero at the back during that period. That was David de Gea.
3 times (record) consecutive POTY can't be underappreciated? That's how bad we were last 3 years. That's a different topic though.

RedRoach

Like I have been saying in the "Rojo and Jones must play thread", Smalling never convinced me in his first few seasons where we played a system similar to what we are playing now, apart of his injury problems at the time.

There is no doubt that the LVG system brought the best out of him and playing in a super defensive way where our goal keeper was our star player for consecutive seasons allowed him to shine in that system. In the system we are playing now I remain unconvinced he can be the leader of our defence.

Good player no doubt, but not the final solution to our defence at the back. I do hope I am proven wrong and he can adapt to the way we play now, just like Jones and Rojo are proving me wrong about my previous thoughts on them, but so far I remain unconvinced.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
I don't think it's because they necessarily want the partnership broken up, it's probably just because they're sick of reading this monstrosity of a word.

Why is it you write this anyway? I'll keep this brief.

1. Is it perhaps because you read it somewhere and thought it was extremely clever and then decided to adopt the word and run with it. We only get one shot at life sir, don't waste it by copying the rubbish work of others.

2. because you refer to everything in your life like this. e.g if you happened to be swimming in the ocean and saw a shark and octopus would you tell people that you saw a 'sharktopus'? If you had a really close friend would you refer to it as your bromance? Or if you had a brother and sister called Jennifer and Ben(Jennifer being your brother) do you just call them Bennifer? Or in fact are you actually called Jay and you have a friend called Bomb and you call yourselves Jaybomb? Your username makes sense now, as does your bromance. Pretty unfortunate name for your friend Bomb there. Not sure why you haven't capitalised the letter b in your username either, bad form Jay, bad form. I hope he has an account called jayBomb to compensate for the complete lack of respect you've shown his name. If you're reading this Bomb, don't let Jay push you around, it's bang out of order.

3. Is it in fact because your phone or tablet or computer or similar technological device autocorrects Rojo and Jones to 'RoJones' (you've just made me type that god forsaken word out now and I quite frankly feel lesser of a man). I was feeling mantastic before this event occurred and you've just destroyed me with that word, I feel like my life no longer has purpose.

4. Is it because you've actually combined them because it sounds like the Spanish word 'cojones' which means testicles? If this is indeed what you have done then I bow down to your brilliance old chap, to make a hilariously witty remark like that is truly exemplary. I've actually just smashed my head on the floor now because I've bowed with an insane amount of enthusiasm. It hurts. I forgive you though because you've made my year with that reference. Jay - you've got some really big cojones.

5. Is it because it saves you time rather than having to write 'Rojo and Jones'. If you want to save time perhaps being on a forum isn't the best thing for you. You'd never find me on an Internet forum wasting my time on silly things. Time is of the essence.

6. Also now I've just realised you probably wrote it on your phablet didn't you?

I bet you love a frappuccino for brunch to chillax don't you? Or do you like a toffee instead? (A mix of tea and coffee but you knew that didn't you). I do too.

Have a nice day.

Robbie Boy

I don't think it's because they necessarily want the partnership broken up, it's probably just because they're sick of reading this monstrosity of a word.

1. Is it perhaps because you read it somewhere and thought it was extremely clever and then decided to adopt the word and run with it. We only get one shot at life sir, don't waste it by copying the rubbish work of others.

2. because you refer to everything in your life like this. e.g if you happened to be swimming in the ocean and saw a shark and octopus would you tell people that you saw a 'sharktopus'? If you had a really close friend would you refer to it as your bromance? Or if you had a brother and sister called Jennifer and Ben(Jennifer being your brother) do you just call them Bennifer? Or in fact are you actually called Jay and you have a friend called Bomb and you call yourselves Jaybomb? Your username makes sense now, as does your bromance. Pretty unfortunate name for your friend Bomb there. Not sure why you haven't capitalised the letter b in your username either, bad form Jay, bad form. I hope he has an account called jayBomb to compensate for the complete lack of respect you've shown his name. If you're reading this Bomb, don't let Jay push you around, it's bang out of order.

3. Is it in fact because your phone or tablet or computer or similar technological device autocorrects Rojo and Jones to 'RoJones' (you've just made me type that god forsaken word out now and I quite frankly feel lesser of a man). I was feeling mantastic before this event occurred and you've just destroyed me with that word, I feel like my life no longer has purpose.

4. Is it because you've actually combined them because it sounds like the Spanish word 'cojones' which means testicles? If this is indeed what you have done then I bow down to your brilliance old chap, to make a hilariously witty remark like that is truly exemplary. I've actually just smashed my head on the floor now because I've bowed with an insane amount of enthusiasm. It hurts. I forgive you though because you've made my year with that reference. Jay - you've got some really big cojones.

5. Is it because it saves you time rather than having to write 'Rojo and Jones'. If you want to save time perhaps being on a forum isn't the best thing for you. You'd never find me on an Internet forum wasting my time on silly things. Time is of the essence.

6. Also now I've just realised you probably wrote it on your phablet didn't you?

I bet you love a frappuccino for brunch to chillax don't you? Or do you like a toffee instead? (A mix of tea and coffee but you knew that didn't you). I do too.

Have a nice day.
That was brief :eek:

CG1010

Have a nice day.
:lol: What a rant! Promote this guy...

Havak

Pokemon master
Smalling is a better player than Jones and Rojo, if you can't see that then you're just being ridiculous.

That said, breaking up the Jones & Rojo partnership is not worth doing right now. If they're both still fit come the Liverpool game (probably our most important game thus far) they will start it together.

Eventually, Bailly, Smalling or maybe a new signing will become the first choice partnership.

That's as far as the entire disucssion needs to go.

Irrational.

Maybe he just needs the Rojo/ Jones transformation treatment from Mourinho, who does seem to prefer the more aggressive, instinctive defender type. Smalling has the problem of adjusting from the LvG crab system to which he was perfectly suited and had more time to think. He'll learn and adapt.

Andy_Cole

Have a nice day.
Best. Post. Ever.

RedCurry

Problem is we have Jones and Bailly also favor right sided of the CB position. Making them play on the left may as well negate their passing. Adding that with Smalling limited ability on ball, we may risk playing hoof ball majority of the game vs teams pressing well and well organized. This point was mentioned before in this thread and the Lindelof thread where people speculated that Mourinho may want to add a LCB since Blind was no longer fancied at CB with Rojo our only comfortable option.

It's not we turned around our style of play, but we clicked, and struck balance with RoJones (Jones and Rojo had worse games than their previous especially for Jones). Both can help building tempo and rhytm form the back to certain good level, which Smalling struggled while Bailly is still erratic with his passing.
We did turn around our style though. Smalling's last game against Chelsea had a midfield of Herrera and Fellaini.

In my opinion, the biggest reason for our current form is introduction of Carrick into the starting lineup. He practically plays as a third CB at times. He takes on so much creative job from the deep that our CB's can primarily just defend. Our defenders are pushing up further now because Carrick provides reliable cover. Take Blind's goal against Sunderland for example, Rojo made a run to the edge of the box, Blind ended up next to Zlatan inside the box because Carrick stayed back as the last/second last defender.

Jones and Rojo are clearly better than Smalling on the ball though. But Rojo is a LCB by trade. Jones has done a decent job there in the past, although he does look better as RCB. But if Smalling does have to start a game, I'd rather see him in a position where he's most comfortable because he looks a lot better player when he's playing with confidence.

RedRoach

Have a nice day.
Bloody hell that was funny, you had me in stitches. Should go down as an all time classic on here. Bravo Sir. :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.