Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick.

Fluffed two clearances. We will lose to Ajax if our defenders play like this.

lopiop

I hope one of him and Jones are shipped out. Clumsy defenders who instil panic in the back line.

Sp00ks11

The shocking thing is him and Jones are no longer young up and coming defenders, none of them have improved at all and are hopelessly injury prone anyway.

I hope atleast one goes this summer, preferbly smalling as he is older and I just think he is a coward. He is constantly bricking it whenever he has the ball at his feet.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
His first season was his best. Massively overrated last season other than a brief run of good games. Not good enough IMO, needs to be shipped out in the summer.

buckooo1978

to put it in perspective I think Smalling has looked a confident commanding centre half for about a year - I'd say from Christmas 2014 to Christmas 2015

he really seemed to improve after the sending off at City but he's looked nervous and sloppy for a long time now

Sylar

He has really regressed. Looked quality under LVG.
I think a lot of that is due to the way we were playing. For me hes a penalty box defender where he will deal with headers and such.
But when hes on the ball and such, hes bad.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I think he's a confidence player that needs to know he has the backing of the manager to play at his best. He knew van Gaal rated him and was very good for most of his reign. This season he's been publicly questioned by Mourinho a couple of times and hasn't looked anywhere near as assured when he's played. Been a disappointing season for him all in all and can't have many complaints if he's down the pecking order next season. He's definitely still good enough to be here though and I think he will be next season.

Akshay

Staff
Having a poor game so far. The problem is even when he's on good form he's really bad on the ball. I'd rather he stays than Jones for fitness reasons, but I don't want him as a starter next season. And I was a big believer in him last year.

I think he's a confidence player that needs to know he has the backing of the manager to play at his best. He knew van Gaal rated him and was very good for most of his reign. This season he's been publicly questioned by Mourinho a couple of times and hasn't looked anywhere near as assured when he's played. Been a disappointing season for him all in all and can't have many complaints if he's down the pecking order next season. He's definitely still good enough to be here though and I think he will be next season.
Nar, not having that. Mourinho bigged him up to begin with and had him as his number one CB, he was still shite.

Stop making excuses for all these players.

sizzling sausages

Scout
Nar, not having that. Mourinho bigged him up to begin with and had him as his number one CB, he was still shite.

Stop making excuses for all these players.
We went through a phase of conceding 1 goal in 10 hours with him playing most of those minutes so he wasn't shite all season. He was shite when he played with an injury and when he has just came back from the injuries he's had this season. Decent for the periods in between but nowhere near as good as last season.

When did Mourinho big him up btw?

ilovethisgameahahah

Unfortunately Smalling and the rest of the atrocious players on our team are on massive wages and will be almost impossible to sell over Summer. The club has strong armed itself into the situation we're in.

OneUnited24

That's a great goal. The cross borders on indefensible. Some awful agendas in here.
He kept Kane goal side. Surely try and get in front of him or not let him get the run on you.

Thing with smalling is you can probably defend all of his errors but at this level we don't need a defender who keeps making them. If he starts the final Ajax will have a field day

sizzling sausages

Scout
Only saw it once but it looked like he could've got his body in the way of the flick by Kane if he was better positioned.

Kag

He kept Kane goal side. Surely try and get in front of him or not let him get the run on you.

Thing with smalling is you can probably defend all of his errors but at this level we don't need a defender who keeps making them. If he starts the final Ajax will have a field day
That goal isn't an error. It's a ridiculous cross into a really tough area that only needs a tiny flick to hit the net. Giving away the free kick was the problem.

Blame our players when they make genuine mistakes, but this fascination with pretending as if every conceded goal is a glaring error is just petulant and petty. Letting Welbeck go free last week was an error. That Kane goal certainly wasn't. It's just really good from Eriksen and Kane.

We could win this game if we score three goals, by the way. Smalling isn't at fault for that. Neither is Jones, or Bailly, or Blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.