Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He has really regressed. Looked quality under LVG.
One isolated positive season in 7 suggest that the spell of good form was a freak rather than this seasons's mediocrity being regression.

I'd offer him to Arsenal in exchange for Calum Chambers; Wenger has always been hard for him, while Chambers has been class for Boro, has a high ceiling and could also play Mourinho's inverting leftback role.

Cloud7

Not watching this game due to circumstances, but thought I'd give my input. For what it's worth I've never warmed to Smalling. From the time he arrived when Fergie was here until now I never really rated him or thought he was an adequate replacement for Rio and Vida. To me he never really displayed anything that made me think he should be here. There was that period under LVG when he was good, but the evidence suggests that that was more of a patch of good form rather than his actual quality. Stark contrast to Jones who I could actually see why he was bought from his first few games here. I actually didn't mind when stories came out that Arsenal wanted Smalling, albeit horrified when it was rumored that we wanted the perma-crock Vermalen to replace him.

Smalling should be out of the club in the summer.

Kag

Really mate, you need to drop this Smalling thing you have going and sometimes open yourself up to admitting he's maybe not as good as you think/hope.
He's fine. I know what our problems are and they start with the manager and end at attackers like Lingard and Rooney.

That goal today is a great goal. Sometimes we concede goals like that. We should be positive enough to get ahead in the first place and have a go at the opposition.

When we start doing that then all of the defenders at the club will be under less pressure and start receiving the credit they deserve.

I know what our problems are and they start with the manager and end at attackers like Lingard and Rooney.
Well I agree with most of that obviously, but just look how much easier the Spurs CB's build up the play. Ours are horrific at it and it's a big problem for us, we looked absolutely light years better with Rojo & Bailly there.

OneUnited24

That goal isn't an error. It's a ridiculous cross into a really tough area that only needs a tiny flick to hit the net. Giving away the free kick was the problem
You dont think letting a striker run across you is an error? Or let him get the run on you

Kag

I wouldn't bother trying to reason with Kag where Smalling is concerned, he's got the total blinkers on.
Or I don't change my mind every couple of weeks on the basis of a few games. Smalling has consistently demonstrated good defending at centre half since arriving here. It was only until this season he's received any great criticism - most prominently because of a game in which he broke bones in his foot. I'm willing to be rational about this one and wait for the return to top form.

Just like I was rational about Rojo when he also demonstrated good form at centre half under Van Gaal - alongside Smalling funnily enough. I knew he was capable if only given the chance. I was right about Rojo back then and I'm right about Smalling now.

el3mel

Was going to call him terrible defender but I just realized he can't be called a defender anymore. He's just another body in the box with no use.

Must go in summer.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Where Smalling is very poor is composure. He does not have a cool head. He cannot play it out from the back.

I would not read too much into their goals from crosses. Crosses are often a case of bad luck because the opposing team throws men forward.

Jaybomb

He's honestly terrible but I've been telling everyone this for ages now.

It's not even a surprise when he's at fault for a goal anymore. He's just an anxious mess at the back. I'm praying he doesn't start in the final cause if he does, we WILL lose.

Just like I was rational about Rojo when he also demonstrated good form at centre half under Van Gaal - alongside Smalling funnily enough. I knew he was capable if only given the chance. I was right about Rojo back then and I'm right about Smalling now.
I was right about Rojo, loved him at CB in his first season.

I'm also right about Smalling, not good enough, even when on top defending form he will never discover the kind of calmness required to be a top class CB.

AndyJ1985

I'm trying to decide who the worst footballer is between Smalling and Rooney. I reckon Smalling wins it. Calling him fecking trash would be an understatement.

Mr.Plow

If Jones could keep fit he'd be a decent back up option, Smalling on the other hand just isn't good enough.

Giggs86

Can we all just agree that he is not United quality? This is not even up to debate anymore. We can stick with him and Jones if we want to stick to finishing 4th-7th. If we want to challenge for the title we have to get some quality in. We can't be polishing a turd forever.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nar, after xmas last season his form took a nose dive, his end to the season was especially poor and cost us. Could have even cost us the FA Cup.
Aye, last season was a really black mark on his report card. Had always thought his up and down form was just down to injuries yet he had a terrible last few months despite staying fit. Seems like a nice chap so I don't like slagging him off but he's too inconsistent for the position he plays and (unlike Jones) not at an age where he'll get much better from here.

AXVnee7

He's 27 :eek:.

27 is younger for in "CB years" than it would for a striker, but it still highlights how long we've persisted with these guys only to be let down. We can't keep waiting for them to "come good". Mourinho should be looking for some replacements in the summer.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I really don't like him and I usually back every United player who's currently at the club (only 2 I haven't in the past 5-6 years are Rooney since 11/12, ADM after 3-4 months @ Utd and Smalling.)

Djemba-Djemba

Also has to be said that Mourinho has a great record for getting top class performances out of central defenders and Smalling is conspicuous as our only CB not to impress at all this season. The rest of them have all put together some decent runs of form.
That's a fair point actually.

Even Jones had that run pre Xmas where he was pretty good.

Smalling has looked a nervous wreck all season.

stevoc

Also has to be said that Mourinho has a great record for getting top class performances out of central defenders and Smalling is conspicuous as our only CB not to impress at all this season. The rest of them have all put together some decent runs of form.
Thats a bit harsh mate i think after coming back from injury when Bailly was out right up to the League Cup final he had a run of i think 12-13 starts where we only conceded like 5-6 goals. He was pretty solid in that run bar the final.

klayton88

Was he really that good in that LvG season or was the rest of the team just utterley shite?

Status
Not open for further replies.