Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Tbf, Pogba should fight for his place as well; he hasn't been that good. Herrera has been really good when he has played, and Fellaini has been our best midfielder thus far.
You are, of course, right, but I think, for now anyway, Pogba should be a guaranteed starter purely because we need him to adjust here ASAP and the fact that we know how good he can be. I agree that Herrera and Fellaini have both been good whenever they've been given the chance but the players I mentioned for the 3 are just my personal preference. I'd have no issue with Herrera and/or Fellaini starting instead, though.

Rossa

You are, of course, right, but I think, for now anyway, Pogba should be a guaranteed starter purely because we need him to adjust here ASAP and the fact that we know how good he can be. I agree that Herrera and Fellaini have both been good whenever they've been given the chance but the players I mentioned for the 3 are just my personal preference. I'd have no issue with Herrera and/or Fellaini starting instead, though.
No issues with that. Pogba hasn't been so poor that he should be benched.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ah good. We're back to normal. The untouchable best-in-the-league "carried Smalling for half a season" Daley Blind was little lazy and played someone onside today, so Smalling's reputation has returned from being a no-footed clogger of Conference level back to the Vidic-Incarnate Demigod who would have twatted City single handed if given the chance.

Anticipating him perhaps making an error against Feyenoord which will punt him back to the tier of Titus Bramble if he had feet made of sledgehammers, and the kneejerk cycle will continue forevermore.

Haven't looked in the Blind thread today. Are we back to him being 2nd choice LB and last-resort DM rotation options only yet?

podurban2

Surely will make his first start of the season on Thursday? Excited to see him back, hope he can regain his once magnificient form.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Really hope he plays tomorrow.

Fantastic defender when he is on his game. His under par passing probably won't be exposed as much under Mourinho as it did with LvG.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hopefully he plays alongside Bailly. We have already seen how good he is alongside Blind so it would be good test to play alongside Bailly.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Hopefully he plays alongside Bailly. We have already seen how good he is alongside Blind so it would be good test to play alongside Bailly.
I think it could be a great partnership with those two, both beasts.

Obviously we would miss Blind's passing, but if we moved him or Carrick up as the DM i think it would make up for it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think it could be a great partnership with those two, both beasts.

Obviously we would miss Blind's passing, but if we moved him or Carrick up as the DM i think it would make up for it.
Yeah again everything points to 4-3-3. Hopefully we switch to it sooner than later. Blind playing as DM means more or less he will have same time on the ball to pick up passes then we can play Herrera/Schneiderlin/Fellaini alongside Pogba.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Yeah again everything points to 4-3-3. Hopefully we switch to it sooner than later. Blind playing as DM means more or less he will have same time on the ball to pick up passes then we can play Herrera/Schneiderlin/Fellaini alongside Pogba.
It really does.

Maybe we will see it against Feyenoord, Rooney not in the squad! :drool:

Bwuk

So frustrating watching him, Rojo and Darmian take forever to play the pass.

Devil may care

I thought he got pulled out of position too much tonight, but it's his first game so I'mn not sweating it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's not good enough for where we want to be. One of the most overrated players we've ever had.
There's a whole bunch of more overrated players in this side currently that aren't "good enough for where we want to be". Take your pick.

Mike09

I don't see anything wrong with Smalling today though. So does Bailly nothing wrong with both of them. Rojo was the culprit for the goal. Once we have Valencia and Shaw back again on Sunday the back four will be so much better and more organised defensively. The full back that we played today are basically the same full backs that we used majority last season.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Thankfully he ain't first choice anymore. Normal service to be resumed against Watford please Jose.

The United

We can always use him to play as 2nd target striker along with Zlatan at the end of games when we hoof the ball up though. Bring smalling on!

ZDwyr

First match in ages with fecking Rojo alongside him. He was shoved up front for the last 15 minutes too. Way too early to make any sweeping statements, but of course that is what will happen. Needs a run of matches.

Handré1990

It wasn't his best or worst game, but he is limited as some have already stated. It's so annoying watching him control and pass the ball, he never plays it under pressure when facing towards our goal. He was one of many reasons why we couldn't get a grip. He didn't do any big mistakes as I could see, but is this enough?

SambaBoy

He has some quality but he is at the end a really limited player.
Is that a major problem? He's a CB.

Ideally I want someone who can defend but also bring the ball out the back, but if it's a choice between a great defender with poor passing ability or a average defender who can play, then it's defender first for me.

I'm sure some people on here would rather have a Blind than a Vidic type defender. It's an added benefit if they can play but the reason why Vidic's on the ball limitations were never really exposed were due to Scholes and Carrick. Vidic wasn't terrible on the ball but rarely played a pass more than 10-15 yards. Scholes/Carrick would come deep, dictate the play and spray the balls that we are now expecting our CB's to play.

Our CB's pick up the ball now and there is no deep lying playmaker who can dictate the play from deep, hence why there is so much responsibility on Blind to play from the back because he's our main source of creativity from deep. If we had a prime Carrick/Scholes, we wouldn't even be mentioning Smalling's poor passing ability, just as we didn't 4/5 years ago when both were playing.

Robbie Boy

He's definitely good enough to be in the squad. He's very overrated by some on here, though.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Become a popular scapegoat it seems.
This is all it is. He played well, and wasn't even at fault for the goal (Rojo was, as he was throughout the entire game, completely out of position) especially considering it was his first full competitive match all season.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's definitely good enough to be in the squad. He's very overrated by some on here, though.
He's not overrated. He was very, very good for a few months last season, and decent till the end of the season. Given how the rest of our defenders were well below par last season (Blind not included), the expected reaction regarding Smalling was always going to be positive and somewhat overwhelming.

Personally, I think Blind had a better season, last year, however, considering it was his first injury free year, Smalling was quite impressive.

Yesterday, both he and Bailly looked comfortable, however, if you have Rojo to your left, you're going to have your work cut out.

Robbie Boy

He's not overrated. He was very, very good for a few months last season, and decent till the end of the season. Given how the rest of our defenders were well below par last season (Blind not included), the expected reaction regarding Smalling was always going to be positive and somewhat overwhelming.

Personally, I think Blind had a better season, last year, however, considering it was his first injury free year, Smalling was quite impressive.

Yesterday, both he and Bailly looked comfortable, however, if you have Rojo to your left, you're going to have your work cut out.
Yeah he's good. I said overrated be a few on here and he definitely is. There's some who think he is top class but he isn't. He's a good player and, as I said, definitely good enough for our squad. Can't really understand why some are complaining about him when there's far worse in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.