g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Mike played well today, did a tough job well. Glad to see him coming back to his old self.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
There was one moment towards the end of the game when the ball came towards him and he just panicked and smashed it forward even though no opponent is even close to him, at that point I really don't know what else to say
Seriously man I wanted to break something at that moment. You could see that his teammates weren't thrilled either

lawliet354

Seriously man I wanted to break something at that moment. You could see that his teammates weren't thrilled either
So did I man, both me and my brother just hold our heads, I really did not understand what was on his mind at that time

He probably think Herrera and Jones beside him is Crouch and Affellay

Eddy_JukeZ

His poor distribution kills us at times. He's just so poor on the ball. Never looks assured in possession.

jem

That pissed me off as well. He brings certain things to the table, and I really do think he played very well during most of LVG's reign, but his lack of composure on the ball can be really frustrating.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think one of Rojo/Jones/Smalling will be sold next summer and i have a feeling it's going to be Chris.

His technical ability are just poor, can't have that in a top team. He often looks nervous when receiving the ball.

Robbie Boy

Missed the game today but reading some ratings from various sites and the consensus seems to be that Smaling was atrocious or he done ok :lol:

ti vu

Smalling was played to man marked Crouch. Stoke couldn't do anything in first half bar that aerial duel Crouch won leading to Mata own goal ( own fault for not tracking back probably). Doing well defensively man marking Crouch but same old story about wonky distribution.

Steven7290

Missed the game today but reading some ratings from various sites and the consensus seems to be that Smaling was atrocious or he done ok :lol:
Overally he did ok, can point out one or two mistakes but nothing major. It was just very frustrating to watch him be on the ball. You'd think for a pro of his level he must know what to do with the ball other than clearing it out of play with about zero pressure.

Jaybomb

He was at fault for the Stoke goal today. Went in for an unneccessary heading challenge with Crouch way up the pitch and didn't track back quick enough for the big counter that followed.

He had one good moment that I remember, when he dived infront of a shot and blocked it... thats it. There was a moment where he literally headed the ball into Arnautovic's path and Stoke nearly scored. He's a mess at the back.

The sooner Rojo comes back into the side, the better.

Loublaze

ATLien
He was at fault for the Stoke goal today. Went in for an unneccessary heading challenge with Crouch way up the pitch and didn't track back quick enough for the big counter that followed.

He had one good moment that I remember, when he dived infront of a shot and blocked it... thats it. There was a moment where he literally headed the ball into Arnautovic's path and Stoke nearly scored. He's a mess at the back.

The hate continues. Same ol story

Deleted member 101472

I can't see him being a mainstay in a mourinho team. The fact that I'd rather have Marcus Rojo ahead of him- who I've referred to before as our worst ever player- says it all. Abysmal at times today and the effort he goes to to use his right foot will eventually give away a goal, never seen someone so unwilling to make simple passes with his weak foot.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Overally he did ok, can point out one or two mistakes but nothing major. It was just very frustrating to watch him be on the ball. You'd think for a pro of his level he must know what to do with the ball other than clearing it out of play with about zero pressure.
Speaking of mistake, Jones made much worser ones against the dipper and Arsenal. I don't think that one awful clearance should be looked into that much. Ferdinand used to make a lot of long ball to nowhere in every game. If one or two awkward passes enough to make him out of the team, United would need another 100% turnover of players.

Water Melon

He is more "right-legged" than Tony V, which limits his game a lot. Will stay in the team as a member of our squad but will hardly be a nailed-on starter. Bailly is the man it seems and rightfully so.

Esquire

His poor distribution kills us at times. He's just so poor on the ball. Never looks assured in possession.
He just looks so disturbingly nervous when he's on the ball. Takes forever to make his decision and his passing mechanics are so poor. I know everyone says defenders needs to be able to defend first and foremost but there is something to be said about staying calm in situations where you get the ball as a CB. Every single instance he got the ball today he wanted to hoof it. Unacceptable.

Esquire

The hate continues. Same ol story
Hating on Smalling is easy. Because he is not a United starting CB. He is too erratic and lacks composure on the ball. Think he is a pretty good defender but should not start over Bailly, Jones or Rojo at this juncture. That is why come summer he will be at risk because Mou will probably bring in a CB as rumoured.

Loublaze

ATLien
Hating on Smalling is easy. Because he is not a United starting CB. He is too erratic and lacks composure on the ball. Think he is a pretty good defender but should not start over Bailly, Jones or Rojo at this juncture. That is why come summer he will be at risk because Mou will probably bring in a CB as rumoured.
I doubt Smalling will be sold. Mourinho values experience, and he likes physical tall defenders. Smalling is 6'4. The worst that will happen to Smalling is he'll slip down the pecking order but IMO he's not going anywhere

ti vu

I doubt Smalling will be sold. Mourinho values experience, and he likes physical tall defenders. Smalling is 6'4. The worst that will happen to Smalling is he'll slip down the pecking order but IMO he's not going anywhere
Share same view except pure height (physicality yes). Smalling is one of the better if we need a man marking CB similar to today. Smalling is also one of the better box defender. If manage game time well, he is useful which is hard to replace. Only problem is his inability on ball in game we need solid rhythm and attack the other team.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Some of the comments here are a way over the top. He's no world beater but certainly not as bad as is being made out.

Football fans love a scapegoat.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Some of the comments here are a way over the top. He's no world beater but certainly not as bad as is being made out.

Football fans love a scapegoat.
I agree.

Unfortunately in terms of CBs we've got 3 backups, a horde of promising youths and just 1 first teamer.

m1y2

he often gets critisized for the lack of his ball playing abilities when hes okay but today, I didnt like his display on the ball, he looked nervous, cleared the ball twice when he could play it out, he was defensively solid but if he wants to displace Rojones he needs to step up. The goal wasnt really his fault, he lost the header in the middle of the pitch but crouch was always favourite to this one and he managed to got back quickly enough, was just unlucky goal so its really pathetic from some ppl here who would blame him for everything he could...

hes no3 now for me..

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout

Don't really see how you can blame him for the goal or say he was too slow to get back, he was in a good position to cut out the cross if it didn't hit Mata.

The header straight to the Stoke player was terrible though, lucky it only led to a poor shot. Other than that he was pretty solid, although fairly poor with the ball.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Mike played well today, did a tough job well. Glad to see him coming back to his old self.
He actually didn't. No composure or good distribution at all. Whenever a ball comes towards him, he panics and trashes the ball away. He will be 4th choice

Steven7290

Speaking of mistake, Jones made much worser ones against the dipper and Arsenal. I don't think that one awful clearance should be looked into that much. Ferdinand used to make a lot of long ball to nowhere in every game. If one or two awkward passes enough to make him out of the team, United would need another 100% turnover of players.
The fact that Jones made a worse mistake in a totally different game has nothing to do with what Smalling did in yesterday game. Ferdinand hoofed the ball from times to times especially in his last years but we all know he was one of the best ball playing defender around.

Smalling has always been weak on the ball that he made up for in excellent defending. It doesnt help by us watching Rojo and Jones play regularly, then Smalling came in and looked absolutely inferior in that aspect.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In my opinion we've got 1 top quality CB and 3 backups. One of them has to leave to make space for a top quality first team defender to partner Bailly. Now Rojo can cover LB and CB + he's the only left sided CB we have. Hodor is dumb but he's an honest lad and he provide inches something Mou likes. In my opinion is Jones. He's just too injury prone

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
“David [De Gea] didn’t touch the ball. The defenders did exactly what we trained during the week – to keep Peter Crouch always far from goal. Obviously Peter is not dangerous outside the box, he’s dangerous inside the box but I don’t remember him touching one step in the box except one situation in the second half. Even corners where they are very dangerous they didn’t have many or if they had one or two max.”

Looks like Mourinho was happy with his(and Jones') performance, they obviously did what he asked them to do.

The United

He just looks so disturbingly nervous when he's on the ball. Takes forever to make his decision and his passing mechanics are so poor. I know everyone says defenders needs to be able to defend first and foremost but there is something to be said about staying calm in situations where you get the ball as a CB. Every single instance he got the ball today he wanted to hoof it. Unacceptable.
He is a good defender.

Regarding with defenders being able to play football in general, people who say they don't need are a bit weird. You would want all the 11 players being comfortable with the ball and can pick out a pass fast and accurate to have every advantages you can have against other top teams. United always have had some CBs that can do it in almost all of their great teams.

You hardly see anyone talking about how keepers don't need to be good on the ball like they do with defenders. Which is weird.

C'est Moi Cantona

Was in fashion last season but not so much this time round, as people say it is easy to fall into the too much criticism trap becasue of this, he is a good option to have, but he is simply never going to be a top defender imo, his on the ball skills just haven't progressed.

Jig1234

Smalling been terrible this season. Looked a liability at most times. Would not be surprised if he is one defender we let go in summer. I'd love someone like virgil van dijk to partner Bailly. Jones/Rojo as a second pair.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I thought he was meant to be the best defender in England? At least that's the type of stuff that was written about him in here over the past couple of years.
He is and always has been quite average.

DanClancy

Its very frustrating at time, sometime in the 2nd half a ball came into the box with no Stoke player with in 20 yards off him and surround by United players he just felt the need to kick it away as far as he could.

Status
Not open for further replies.