Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Wonder who partners Bailly when he comes back from AFCON? Which could be very soon as Ivory Coast are in danger of cocking it up.

I'm assuming that Bailly is selected as Jose bought him and seems to like him. Smalling, Jones and Rojo have all made a case to be included recently though.

Robertd0803

His rubbish distribution is probably why him and Blind worked so well (to a certain extent) as Blind can actually pass the ball forward.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It's a weird one for me. I really like Smalling and appreciated his performances last season.

But seeing Jones and Rojo put in defensively competent performances, while also being able to pass the ball out to an acceptable standard, shows how much Smalling hinders us, especially when Carrick isn't playing.

I don't value passing ability from CB so much, which is why I was never a huge fan of Blind at CB. But having Smalling actually hinders the team, his technique is way below the standard of the average CB.

prath92

I thought he was meant to be the best defender in England? At least that's the type of stuff that was written about him in here over the past couple of years.
He is and always has been quite average.
he probably is englands best defender to be fair.

RedMaestro

Wonder who partners Bailly when he comes back from AFCON? Which could be very soon as Ivory Coast are in danger of cocking it up.

I'm assuming that Bailly is selected as Jose bought him and seems to like him. Smalling, Jones and Rojo have all made a case to be included recently though.
Since Rojo seems to be Mourinho's left side CB than maybe this is the "easy" answer?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nothing wrong with his defending but damn did he look nervy on the ball against Stoke. Guess that lack of match practise has really effected him on that part, under LVG he wasn't THAT bad.

redflair

Can't we just say that we have a solid pool of four centre backs and hope they can stay injury and error-free?

As far as I can tell, the standards appear to be quite high, positioning is decent and mistakes have been minimised.

To pick any two of the four and not be worried about the overall structure of the team is a good position to be in.

marlowe78

Don't know what the matter is with him. He's always had his weaknesses but I don't remember ever seeing him so lacking in composure.

Hull City 2:1 Man Utd

Rossa

Keeping our defense in one piece and had a vital tackle that would else have resulted in a goal. Good thing this thread is quiet. Sometimes people in here are, well I will not utter those words in here for fear of being banned.

Bwuk

Keeping our defense in one piece and had a vital tackle that would else have resulted in a goal. Good thing this thread is quiet. Sometimes people in here are, well I will not utter those words in here for fear of being banned.
How many times has he punted the ball forward to no-one. You cannot build from the back with him in the team.

SirAF

Ageist
Looks like he is about to fall over when he's got the ball! Makes me nervous every time

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yeah, pretty much the only player in defence tonight who is playing well, altough that tackle would never happened if he didn't switch off three seconds before. Jones looks drunk for some reason.

Hojoon

He's a one man defense at times but he also gives the ball away when he has no right to.

Rossa

How many times has he punted the ball forward to no-one. You cannot build from the back with him in the team.
Just like you can't have a serious discussion about a player whom you dislike with you. Smalling hoofs it and DDG hoofs it - see a pattern? Our players, bar Carrick, are rubbish at making themselves available for a pass.

Robbie Boy

I think he's looked nervy as feck and his hoofball bollox gets annoying. Some people on here are desperate to get everyone to believe he's a top class player. He clearly isn't.

Rossa

Yeah, pretty much the only player in defence tonight who is playing well, altough that tackle would never happened if he didn't switch off three seconds before. Jones looks drunk for some reason.
What mistake did Smalling make? Jones is all over the place today and also ruined the offside trap for that incident.

manc-in-exile

Smalling has been dreadful so far, looks like an accident waiting to happen every time the ball goes near him. Can't see him lasting under Jose.

Rossa

He's the only defender doing his job and winning headers and commanding the box, and people moan about his passing when none of our midfielders and no other defender is exactly impersonating Scholes out there. Feckin agenda driven...

Bwuk

Just like you can't have a serious discussion about a player whom you dislike with you. Smalling hoofs it and DDG hoofs it - see a pattern? Our players, bar Carrick, are rubbish at making themselves available for a pass.
See below.
I think he's looked nervy as feck and his hoofball bollox gets annoying. Some people on here are desperate to get everyone to believe he's a top class player. He clearly isn't.
Spot on. Our players get ridiculously over rated on this forum. People talk Smalling and Shaw up like it's Ferdinand and Evra.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Rojo and Jones concede a penalty, yet people are more critical of Smalling, even though he cleared a shot from Rojo's man, and has been fine except his distribution.

Makes sense

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jones has been a lot worse so far, even Rojo at LB, yet this thread will get bumped to the top.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
It's no coincidence that our solid looking defence has gone to pot since he's come back in. I have never rated him and genuinely hope we get shut in the summer.

Eddy_JukeZ

His distribution is so poor that I don't think he can be ever be 1st choice for a top team.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Get rid in the summer, not good enough for any title winning side

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I like Smalling, think he is a very good defender when on form but even then he is very poor on the ball and today he is awful in that particular segment. Jose didnt help him with the fullback selection as both are crap on the ball as well but that doesnt change the fact he is awful as well.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His ability on the ball is abysmal. Gueardiola's worst nightmare.

prath92

he won the tackle after ball watching and letting Dawson go. Was a crunching tackle. He headed a ball straight to hull player and I lost the no.of times he conceded possession when there was no need to try passes he doesnt have the ability to make.

Anustart89

Glad Mourinho's put him firmly in the back-up part of the squad. He's woeful with the ball, and lack of playing time has made him so insecure defensively as well. I'd rather his place in the squad is shared by TFM and Tuanzebe.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This is incredible, he is literally our only player who is good at defending tonight yet he gets more criticism than anyone. Jones looks literally drunk, and Rojo and Darmian keep proving they are terrible fullbacks, but somehow it's Smalling's fault. This place is great, I wonder what people are watching. :lol:

Rossa

See below.

Spot on. Our players get ridiculously over rated on this forum. People talk Smalling and Shaw up like it's Ferdinand and Evra.
I have completely given up on discussing with you, so I see absolute no point. Smalling could play like Beckenbauer out there and you would still criticize him, so there is no point. He's been our best defender by some distance tonight, and yet he "looks nervy" makes people rate him. As long as Smalling doesn't give the ball away when "looking nervy" or fall over when "looking awkward" I don't give a feck what his tango skills may be like. His passing has been no worse than anyone else today and he has defended very well. Darmian has been rubbish and Jones is all over the place and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.