Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
And depend on 3 players for the multiple competitions we're in for the rest of the season, 2 of whom are prone to injury and one who has recently returned from a bad injury.
Some really ill thought though and just plain silly posts on here. Smalling (if he goes) will improve the team he joins and will join. One of our rivals, as he's a very very good defender, who is amazing badly underrated on here. I certainly don't want him gone in January as we simply will not be able to get better to replace him.
Rojo, Bailly, Jones, Blind plus Fosu-Mensah as last resort. That makes five if I can count correctly.

He will improve a lesser team no doubt but he is not United level and will be a liability if he goes to any team at that level just like Stones at City.

Bailly just played 4 games in a row for CIV so not really still suffering from injury.

The iron is not hot! I was being glib with 60m. Smalling in the current market right now would fetch 25 I think, it would be the same in the summer. No other team is looking at the goal hes scored and thinking we need him, you don't sign centre backs just for their goals.
Wasn't about the goal, just overall performance was alright.

He's our best and most experienced defender.He hasn't hit top form this season but he's proven himself over a longer period than both Jones and Rojo ever have. People have short memories. Smalling made 55 appearances last season and was one of the best defenders in the league. He was played to death. Rojo and Jones can only dream of playing that many games in a single season without going injured. You do realize that Jone's latest run of games this season has been the longest run he's managed without injury in the last five years don't you? He'll have to have at least one standout season like Smalling 2015/16
Best and most experienced? It's laughable considering he has about the same amount of PL appearances as Jones despite the latter "always" being injured and arriving one year later.

Daley Blind is our most experienced defender. It's arguable who may be our best but it's certainly not Smalling. I'd pick Fosu-Mensah ahead of him any day.

With a team built to pass the ball and defend its quite obvious that the defenders are going to have a lot of protection and be made to look world class. We saw how good he was at the Euros.

My blood boils everytime I see his name in the teamsheet because he is clumsy and always with a mistake in him which is costly for tough games. Not reliable.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Rojo, Bailly, Jones, Blind plus Fosu-Mensah as last resort. That makes five if I can count correctly.

He will improve a lesser team no doubt but he is not United level and will be a liability if he goes to any team at that level just like Stones at City.

Bailly just played 4 games in a row for CIV so not really still suffering from injury.
Mensah is in no way ready to play in central defense for United, just silly to suggest he's more capable than Smalling. Blind isn't considered a central defender by Jose. So it's 3.
So many holes in your posts, you're in no way objective. Smalling is a regular stater when available and there's no way in hell we could replace him this window.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Mensah is in no way ready to play in central defense for United, just silly to suggest he's more capable than Smalling. Blind isn't considered a central defender by Jose. So it's 3.
So many holes in your posts, you're in no way objective. Smalling is a regular stater when available and there's no way in hell we could replace him this window.
Doesn't make the slightest difference. He partnered Smalling thetr laat seasin and if required can play in that position. It's nonsense to think Jose won't play him there because he doesn't see him as a CB.

Tim would be a last resort backup in addition to the other four but it wouldn't have to come to that.

Only thing to make me think we should keep him till the end of the season is the fact we're battling on all fronts so he can be useful in rotation against teams like Wigan etc but I wouldn't trust him to play in an important game like the final vs Southampton for example.

I am actually being pretty objective and am judging him without my United specs on. He'd be ridiculed if he was an opposition player.

Loublaze

ATLien
Best and most experienced? 1. It's laughable considering he has about the same amount of PL appearances as Jones despite the latter "always" being injured and arriving one year later.

2.Daley Blind is our most experienced defender. It's arguable who may be our best but it's certainly not Smalling. 3. I'd pick Fosu-Mensah ahead of him any day.

With a team built to pass the ball and defend its quite obvious that the defenders are going to have a lot of protection and be made to look world class. We saw how good he was at the Euros.

4. My blood boils everytime I see his name in the teamsheet because he is clumsy and always with a mistake in him which is costly for tough games. Not reliable.
Like @Red_toad said, your post is so full of holes it actually looks like you just starting watching United this season.

1. Smalling only has 9 more league apps over Jones but way more apps in Europe (20 to be precise) and domestic cups, putting him at 47 more apps career total. He has more experience period

2. Blind is the most experienced defender overall but you do know he's spent most of his career as a defensive midfielder and leftback right? Sure he also played as a utility centerback before but he only got fully converted to one last season. The decision to play him back there was one of contention

3. No manager going for honors will play an inexperienced 19 year old over a much more experienced player in his prime years, especially at CB. Mourinho values experience. Fosu-Mensah would've probably got much more game time if LVG was still in charge but not at CB, most likely at RB.

4. Your blood will continue to boil then, because Mourinho will continue to rotate between Smalling, Rojo and Jones. Smalling is our tallest defender at 6'4 and kills everything in the air. Mourinho is obsessed with height, aerial prowess, power and speed to a lesser extent. All these things Smalling has in abundance. You surely also know that Rojo and Jones have pretty bad injury records and if one them goes down no one will be surprised. Selling Smalling now when United are in contention for four titles would be absolutely stupid. Again, Smalling managed 55 games last season, something the other two have never achieved in a single season. Better stock up on diuretics its going to be a long season for you

Last edited:

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Like @Red_toad said, your post is so full of holes it actually looks like you just starting watching United this season.

1. Smalling only has 9 more league apps over Jones but way more apps in Europe (20 to be precise) and domestic cups, putting him at 47 more apps career total. He has more experience period

2. Blind is the most experienced defender overall but you do know he's spent most of his career as a defensive midfielder and leftback right? Sure he also played as a utility centerback before but he only got fully converted to one last season. The decision to play him back there was one of contention

3. No manager going for honors will play an inexperienced 19 year old over a much more experienced player in his prime years, especially at CB. Mourinho values experience. Fosu-Mensah would've probably got much more game time if LVG was still in charge but not at CB, most likely at RB.

4. Your blood will continue to boil then, because Mourinho will continue to rotate between Smalling, Rojo and Jones. Smalling is our tallest defender at 6'4 and kills everything in the air. Mourinho is obsessed with height, aerial prowess, power and speed to a lesser extent. All these things Smalling has in abundance. You surely also know that Rojo and Jones have pretty bad injury records and if one them goes down no one will be surprised. Selling Smalling now when United are in contention for four titles would be absolutely stupid. Again, Smalling managed 55 games last season, something the other two have never achieved in a single season. Better stock up on diuretics its going to be a long season for you
It really should tell you something if Jones is picked to play whenever he is fit regardless of his slightly lesser experience according to y'all.

Mourinho does not rate Smalling. He blasted him and Shaw earlier this seasons about their lack of commitment to the team. He does not want lightweights but warriors.

I'm confident that Jones and Rojo will play ahead of Smalling for the remainder of the season as partners to Bailly bar any games where rotation is a must so I think I'll be pretty alright for thr season. For you on the other hand I'd suggest you look at Smalling's performances objectively and look at him for what he is not what you want him to be.

We had 6 losses this season and he played 90 mins in 4 of them. He just came back into the team and we've had 3 wins (Reading, Hull and Wigan) 2 draws (Liverpool - not involved thank god, Stoke) and a loss against Hull.

Rossa

Doesn't make the slightest difference. He partnered Smalling thetr laat seasin and if required can play in that position. It's nonsense to think Jose won't play him there because he doesn't see him as a CB.

Tim would be a last resort backup in addition to the other four but it wouldn't have to come to that.

Only thing to make me think we should keep him till the end of the season is the fact we're battling on all fronts so he can be useful in rotation against teams like Wigan etc but I wouldn't trust him to play in an important game like the final vs Southampton for example.

I am actually being pretty objective and am judging him without my United specs on. He'd be ridiculed if he was an opposition player.
Who are you?

First part, it's not nonsense to suggest Mourinho won't play Blind at cb because he doesn't. What does it tell you when he picks Smalling over Blind then? You didn't even think of that in your whole narrative? May I suggest you don't pursue a career as a novelist.

Smalling was our best centre back last season. Just because he has struggled this season doesn't make him half as bad as you are putting out there. Also, him being an accident waiting to happen has very little to do with factual reality, or are you more into Trump's alternative realities? He's had a few howlers, but so have all centre backs. Vidic certainly had his brainfarts, and Rio had his fair share. If anything, both Jones and Rojo are prone to making more outright mistakes than Smalling.

As for being ridiculed, one Liverpool mate of mine (I know!) and one Arsenal fan praised him like mad last season, so I'm not sure he would be ridiculed at all. Last season, the consensus was that the only defense in the PL he may not have walked into would be Tottenham's.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Who are you?

First part, it's not nonsense to suggest Mourinho won't play Blind at cb because he doesn't. What does it tell you when he picks Smalling over Blind then? You didn't even think of that in your whole narrative? May I suggest you don't pursue a career as a novelist.

Smalling was our best centre back last season. Just because he has struggled this season doesn't make him half as bad as you are putting out there. Also, him being an accident waiting to happen has very little to do with factual reality, or are you more into Trump's alternative realities? He's had a few howlers, but so have all centre backs. Vidic certainly had his brainfarts, and Rio had his fair share. If anything, both Jones and Rojo are prone to making more outright mistakes than Smalling.

As for being ridiculed, one Liverpool mate of mine (I know!) and one Arsenal fan praised him like mad last season, so I'm not sure he would be ridiculed at all. Last season, the consensus was that the only defense in the PL he may not have walked into would be Tottenham's.
Both are backups and for rotation they are not first team players. The whole conversation regarding Blind is that he could be backup if and when needed, keep up.

I already explained how he suddenly became world class after mediocre seasons and was ridiculously being compared to Rio, he had a team in front of him that was tasked with circulating the ball so wasn't exposed much. We saw how amazing he was for England last year too.

Stones was immense too for Everton and was very sought after from Mourinho as well but is now a laughing stock. Smalling is the same among opposition fans. They read comments like the ones made early on in this thread and laugh at you I am sure.

Anyways it's a lost cause to discuss a lost cause.

I am the voice of reason, you hear me murmur now and then, just saying since you wanted to know...

Loublaze

ATLien
It really should tell you something if Jones is picked to play whenever he is fit regardless of his slightly lesser experience according to y'all.

Mourinho does not rate Smalling. He blasted him and Shaw earlier this seasons about their lack of commitment to the team. He does not want lightweights but warriors.

I'm confident that Jones and Rojo will play ahead of Smalling for the remainder of the season as partners to Bailly bar any games where rotation is a must so I think I'll be pretty alright for thr season. For you on the other hand I'd suggest you look at Smalling's performances objectively and look at him for what he is not what you want him to be.

We had 6 losses this season and he played 90 mins in 4 of them. He just came back into the team and we've had 3 wins (Reading, Hull and Wigan) 2 draws (Liverpool - not involved thank god, Stoke) and a loss against Hull.
You do know that Rojo and Jones were left out even when fit before injuries forced Mourinho to play them right? It took Bailly, Smalling and Blind all to get injured before Jones and Rojo were given a chance to play together in that central defence. The consensus at the time was that they were both in danger of being sold. Bailly and Smalling like i've said before played 8 straight games together before they both got injured. What does that tell you? If Mourinho doesn't rate Smalling then why has he getting minutes now when Jones and Rojo are fully fit? Rotation? He's played in 5 of our last 6 games and in his five appearances United have kept 3 clean sheets. Honest question how long have you been watching United?

Last edited:

Rossa

Both are backups and for rotation they are not first team players. The whole conversation regarding Blind is that he could be backup if and when needed, keep up.

I already explained how he suddenly became world class after mediocre seasons and was ridiculously being compared to Rio, he had a team in front of him that was tasked with circulating the ball so wasn't exposed much. We saw how amazing he was for England last year too.

Stones was immense too for Everton and was very sought after from Mourinho as well but is now a laughing stock. Smalling is the same among opposition fans. They read comments like the ones made early on in this thread and laugh at you I am sure.

Anyways it's a lost cause to discuss a lost cause.

I am the voice of reason, you hear me murmur now and then, just saying since you wanted to know...
Holy crap...

Blind is firmly behind Smalling as a centre back, and that should tell you all that you need to know - Mourinho rates him higher. Therefore, it is less likely that Blind will be backup than Smalling. It's not that hard...

You explained it, but it was flawed. We held a higher line under LVG, which he handled really well. He also passed the ball better and won even more headers. This season he has not been as good. We'll have to wait and see if he can regain his form, but he was very good last season. Stones is a poor comparison as he was always rubbish defensively at Everton as well, as many pointed out.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
You do know that Rojo and Jones were left out even when fit before injuries forced Mourinho to play them right? It took Bailly, Smalling and Blind all to get injured before Jones and Rojo were given a chance to play together in that central defence. The consensus at the time was that they were both in danger of being sold. Bailly and Smalling like i've said before played 8 straight games together before they both got injured. What does that tell you? If Mourinho doesn't rate Smalling then why has he getting minutes now when Jones and Rojo are fully fit? Rotation? He's played in 5 of our last 6 games and in his five appearances United have kept 3 clean sheets. Honest question how long have you been watching United?
He was on the bench at the start of the season despite being "one of the best" defenders in the league lat season.

Bailly and Blind started all games until Shaw got injured and Jose was forced to move Blind to the left. He brought Smalling in and our results started to suffer. We conceded 12 goals with Smalling at CB having only conceded 4 the previous games when he didn't play.

He stops playing and we go on an unbeaten run getting good results he comes back into the team for rotations sake and the run ends against mediocre opposition no less.

If Mourinho trusted him he'd play in an inportant game against Liverpool with plenty of tall players but obviously he wasn't deemed worthy.

Judging by what you're saying it seems I have been watching United more than you, this season at least.

Holy crap...

Blind is firmly behind Smalling as a centre back, and that should tell you all that you need to know - Mourinho rates him higher. Therefore, it is less likely that Blind will be backup than Smalling. It's not that hard...

You explained it, but it was flawed. We held a higher line under LVG, which he handled really well. He also passed the ball better and won even more headers. This season he has not been as good. We'll have to wait and see if he can regain his form, but he was very good last season. Stones is a poor comparison as he was always rubbish defensively at Everton as well, as many pointed out.
If you see as above Blind started all games as a partner for Bailly with Smalling on the bench until Shaw got injured and he was forced to put Blind out left. He publicly criticised Smalling as being weak and Jose isn't one to harbour weak players.

Defenders do not get exposed much when the team in front is set up to controlling possession. The same as Stones goes for Smalling he is rubbish at defending and ball distribution, Blind is miles ahead of him for both making him a better choice for backup at least. Same as with Stones people like you are refusing to look at the facts.

We will see as the season goes on who is going to be favourite to play now that Bailly has returned to full fitness.

Rossa

If you see as above Blind started all games as a partner for Bailly with Smalling on the bench until Shaw got injured and he was forced to put Blind out left. He publicly criticised Smalling as being weak and Jose isn't one to harbour weak players.

Defenders do not get exposed much when the team in front is set up to controlling possession. The same as Stones goes for Smalling he is rubbish at defending and ball distribution, Blind is miles ahead of him for both making him a better choice for backup at least. Same as with Stones people like you are refusing to look at the facts.

We will see as the season goes on who is going to be favourite to play now that Bailly has returned to full fitness.
Blind is certainly a better passer, but he is not close to Smalling in terms of defending. Maybe Bwuk would agree with you, but not many others. Stones is regarded as being good with his feet but poor at defending - so quite the opposite of Smalling.

The Smalling being weak thing was quite weird seeing as he played through the Chelsea match with a broken toe and was out for quite some time afterwards. I believe it was Rio who said Smalling was the type of player to run through a brick wall for you.

Loublaze

ATLien
He was on the bench at the start of the season despite being "one of the best" defenders in the league lat season.

Bailly and Blind started all games until Shaw got injured and Jose was forced to move Blind to the left. He brought Smalling in and our results started to suffer. We conceded 12 goals with Smalling at CB having only conceded 4 the previous games when he didn't play.

He stops playing and we go on an unbeaten run getting good results he comes back into the team for rotations sake and the run ends against mediocre opposition no less.

If Mourinho trusted him he'd play in an inportant game against Liverpool with plenty of tall players but obviously he wasn't deemed worthy.

Judging by what you're saying it seems I have been watching United more than you, this season at least.

You don't really know what you're talking about do you? Context! You say Smalling started on the bench at the beginning of the season. You're wrong. He was suspended for the first game because of a yellow card he got in the F.A cup final last season. Further more, he was also INJURED in preseason. Are you following so far? He wasnt match fit so he came off the bench for the Hull city and Southampton games. He played no part in the home loss to City, and this is when United's form started to dip because it was clear that Pogba and Fellaini were not a good fit in a two man midfield. This is also when Pogba started to get criticized heavily. That frailty in midfield was exposed in the next game again against Fyenoord. But tell me this, why do you think Mourinho started Smalling the minute he regained full match fitness and started him in 9 games straight after that until he got injured? He was clearly his first choice center back alongside Bailly who played in 8 of those 9 games.

As for the part in bold, wrong again. Blind wasnt forced out to the left because of Shaws injury. Shaw wasnt even injured when Smalling and Bailly started their 8 game run playing together. Smalling and Bailly started that run against Fyenoord, and niether Blind nor Shaw were on the bench, it was Rojo who played leftback. Shaw played 85 minutes in the next game after that against Watford (this is when he got injured or dropped as he didnt play next few games). Blind first played as leftback against Leicester and by that time Shaw hadn't played in three games. Mourinho's criticism was more directed at Shaw and it proved unwarranted as far as Smalling is concerned because the medical team ruled Smalling out with a foot injury the day after Mourinho made those premature comments. Everyone knows this. Stones has been exposed several times this season playing under a manager obsessed with possession so that assessment is flawed. It doesn't always have the same results. If Mourinho didnt rate Smalling like you say then why has he STARTED 5 of our last 6 games? It looks loke its Rojo and Jones who are being rotated around him at the moment

Last edited:

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
You don't really know what you're talking about do you? Context! You say Smalling started on the bench at the beginning of the season. You're wrong. He was suspended for the first game because of a yellow card he got in the F.A cup final last season. Further more, he was also INJURED in preseason. Are you following so far? He wasnt match fit so he came off the bench for the Hull city and Southampton games. He played no part in the home loss to City, and this is when United's form started to dip because it was clear that Pogba and Fellaini were not a good fit in a two man midfield. This is also when Pogba started to get criticized heavily. That frailty in midfield was exposed in the next game again against Fyenoord. But tell me this, why do you think Mourinho started Smalling the minute he regained full match fitness and started him in 9 games straight after that until he got injured? He was clearly his first choice center back alongside Bailly who played in 8 of those 9 games.

As for the part in bold, wrong again. Blind wasnt forced out to the left because of Shaws injury. Shaw wasnt even injured when Smalling and Bailly started their 8 game run playing together. Smalling and Bailly started that run against Fyenoord, and niether Blind nor Shaw were on the bench, it was Rojo who played leftback. Shaw played 85 minutes in the next game after that against Watford (this is when he got injured or dropped as he didnt play next few games). Blind first played as leftback against Leicester and by that time Shaw hadn't played in three games. Mourinho's criticism was more directed at Shaw and it proved unwarranted as far as Smalling is concerned because the medical team ruled Smalling out with a foot injury the day after Mourinho made those premature comments. Everyone knows this. Stones has been exposed several times this season playing under a manager obsessed with possession so that assessment is flawed. It doesn't always have the same results. If Mourinho didnt rate Smalling like you say then why has he STARTED 5 of our last 6 games? It looks loke its Rojo and Jones who are being rotated around him at the moment
I'll just leave a few things here to show how inaccurate your post is and will come back to the thread when I am proven right.

1. 5th August Jose confirmed Smalling was back in training with the group ahead of the community shield. He said he needs minutes because he hasn't had much in preseason but decided not to give him more than one minute in two games and chose to leave him completely out of the derby.

2. Jose blamed Shaw for one of the goals vs Watford but it later came out that he was carrying an injury in that game too. He didn't play again for a month.

3. When Mourinho started playing Smalling at CB we started shipping goals and as much as you want to blame that on Pogba and Fellaini the latter might have something to say considering he was one of the better players during those losses. Performance thread will trstify to that. Smalling's form on the other hand will show that only a few times he has been considered as above average on this forum.

This is no place to discuss Stones but to compare Pep's attacking posession football with LVG's zombie posession football is enough for me to realise I should stop wasting my time.

He has come into the team to provide relief in rotation. He will be no more than a bit part player for this season and the more he stays out of the team the better we will do. I go back to what I said before that we should cash in on him while we still have the chance.

Loublaze

ATLien
I'll just leave a few things here to show how inaccurate your post is and will come back to the thread when I am proven right.

1. 5th August Jose confirmed Smalling was back in training with the group ahead of the community shield. He said he needs minutes because he hasn't had much in preseason but decided not to give him more than one minute in two games and chose to leave him completely out of the derby.

2. Jose blamed Shaw for one of the goals vs Watford but it later came out that he was carrying an injury in that game too. He didn't play again for a month.

3. When Mourinho started playing Smalling at CB we started shipping goals and as much as you want to blame that on Pogba and Fellaini the latter might have something to say considering he was one of the better players during those losses. Performance thread will trstify to that. Smalling's form on the other hand will show that only a few times he has been considered as above average on this forum.

This is no place to discuss Stones but to compare Pep's attacking posession football with LVG's zombie posession football is enough for me to realise I should stop wasting my time.

He has come into the team to provide relief in rotation. He will be no more than a bit part player for this season and the more he stays out of the team the better we will do. I go back to what I said before that we should cash in on him while we still have the chance.
1. Your first point doesn't mean shit and you're kicking yourself in the foot because its in agreement with what I wrote about Smalling not being match fit for the start of the season hence the decision to play Blind instead. He barely kicked a ball in preseason and he was suspended for the Bournemouth game. Before the City game Smalling only played a total of 8 or so minutes coming off the bench in two games so it made sense that Mourinho went with Blind and Baily for that one. He did start the next game against Fyenoord and started the next 8 games until his foot injury. I've asked you more than once why you think Mourinho gave him that run if he didn't rate him. Im not holding my breath for an answer

2. This is another pointless argument and you're kicking yourself in the foot again. Was it not you who said 'Blind started all games as a partner for Bailly with Smalling on the bench until Shaw got injured and he was forced to put Blind out left? If that statement is true then Blind would've played as a leftback against Fyenoord after the news of Shaw's injury, but he wasn't even involved against Fyenoord as it was Rojo who played as leftback. This is the lineup for the Fyenoord game

De Gea, Darmian, Bailly, Smalling, Rojo, Herrera, Morgan S., Mata, Pogba, Martial, Rashford. Subs: Memphis, Ibra, Carrick, Young, Romero, Fosu-Mensah, Fellaini.

http://www.skysports.com/football/feyenoord-vs-man-utd/teams/366948

Do you even fact check? Funny you say my post is inaccurate. Laughable! The fact that Shaw was found to be carrying the same knock when he played against Watford doesn't vindicate you because he started that game with Smalling, Bailly and Valencia at the back. Blind was on the bench and didn't play. Blind did play the next game against Northampton partnering Smalling in the heart of defence and Rojo played leftback. Blind did play as a leftback in the game after that against Leicester with Smalling partnering with Bailly. The fact that Rojo played the first game after Shaw's injury at leftback render your argument useless. To put this more in more perspective, Bailly and Blind haven't partnered in central defence since the City loss at Old Trafford. According to your bullshit argument they played all games as partners until Shaw got injured, with Smalling on the bench and that's been proven to be an alternative fact

3. United saw an upturn in results when we played a midfield three of Herrera, Carrick and Pogba. Pogba had more freedom and Carrick provided the protection. Thats the tweak that changed our fortunes no matter how you try to explain otherwise. You should stop wasting your time because you have nothing to bring to the table but alternative facts

Last edited:
Man Utd 0:0 Hull City

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Special mention to Smalling who came on and immediately became one of our worst players on the pitch, which took some doing. Just beyond hopeless against a Hull side not even trying to score. He's gone from one of our key players to 4th choice centre back at best.

Ekeke

Special mention to Smalling who came on and immediately became one of our worst players on the pitch, which took some doing. Just beyond hopeless against a Hull side not even trying to score. He's gone from one of our key players to 4th choice centre back at best.
Really didnt happen and created our best chance

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Really didnt happen and created our best chance
He's crap at the moment and looks like a scared dog on the field. I don't know what's happened to him as I thought he was excellent at times last season under LvG.

prath92

wouldnt say he was the worst player. he did his job and even contributed to attack. did his part admittedly

villain

Hates Beyoncé
What the hell

Rossa

Where the hell did that come from? He did absolutely no wrong. He should have had an assist and was fine defensively. That shot from Markovic was an amazing piece of skill - it happens. Other than that, he did the basics right. An average performance.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol: Wow. Our entire midfield and attack looked potless against a side near guaranteed for the drop but Chris Smalling is to blame.

Rossa

:lol: Wow. Our entire midfield and attack looked potless against a side near guaranteed for the drop but Chris Smalling is to blame.
People see what the bloody hell they want to see. I actually think people are genuinely trying to sound intelligent when making such posts. Being negative is better, or something like that.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Where the hell did that come from? He did absolutely no wrong. He should have had an assist and was fine defensively. That shot from Markovic was an amazing piece of skill - it happens. Other than that, he did the basics right. An average performance.
He didn't close down Markovic or either corner. De Gea was livid with him.

Also that header in added time where he gave Hull position instead of getting the throw in. The such typical Smalling.

Had no effect on us drawing so having a go at him is just venting frustration really.

ti vu

Also that header in added time where he gave Hull position instead of getting the throw in. The such typical Smalling.

Had no effect on us drawing so having a go at him is just venting frustration really.
This. What is he trying to do with that header? It's 99% our throw in unless the Hull player is Ronaldinho.

The Markovic chance, IMO, what he did wrong was playing him onside, and ended up in 1 vs 2 against Hull players situation, which he couldn't just close down Markovic and risked another Hull player free in dangerous area.

As I pointed out weeks ago, Smalling tends to play man marking style and at time doesn't cooperate with his CB partner. We're trying to play zonal defense under Mourinho. And to play it to the best, we need the CB partnership (and the defensive line as a whole) to be on the same wave length. There would be the time when defender in zonal defense system was put in 1 vs 2 which he needs to rely on the system aka offside trap, than trying to hunt down the ball carrier. Sometimes Smalling just went to man hunt mode, only to later realized the 2 vs 1 situation which he couldn't move.

That back pass for De Gea though.
Yes. Supposed last push for a winner and he still tried to ask other players to pass it out instead of taking responsibility. The pace of pass is very wrong, which made it hard for DDG who ended up miskicking the ball.

I don't think he 's one of the worst like another poster said, but definitely a quality drop from what Jones did before got off with the injury. Smalling was not poor by any means (I think is solid), but there is more to be desired from him in case we try for a winner/ chase the game.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What the feck, why on earth would someone bump this thread after this game :lol:

Jaybomb

Whenever I see a pacey attacker coming up against him, I shit myself.

And it looks like Smalling does too.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Didn't really have to do a lot but a good header to mata for the best chance of the game. Concerning how he didn't close down their player much quicker and tighter for the shot that hit the post.

ZDwyr

:lol: people are hilarious. Smalling is way down the blame list. He was perfectly adequate I thought, should have had an assist too.

Ekeke

He left Markovic only the post which thankfully was enough to stop it going in. Was by no means amazing in that situation but Markovic did the best he could other than beating Smalling, which is what Smalling avoided.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He left Markovic only the post which thankfully was enough to stop it going in. Was by no means amazing in that situation but Markovic did the best he could other than beating Smalling, which is what Smalling avoided.
Markovic could have put it in without hitting the post. Could also have taken a shot to the right of De Gea. Meanwhile De Gea couldn't see a thing.

Manny

Grammar Police
He pissed me off with the Markovic effort. Just stood off him :mad:

Would have cost us that measly point.

Loublaze

ATLien
What an agenda driven post. You have nothing to back this up with

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Smalling is a defender, while his assist to Mata's failed strike was good he was poor when he came on. Our defence was solid throughout and both Rojo and Jones were contenders for MoM. As soon as Smalling came on things started to look shaky and Hull had few chances. Sure this was due to us playing very high line and attacking but that's the whole point of Smalling being crap when he doesn't have much protection.

He nearly cost us the point with the Markovic effort because of his stupidity in positioning. From minute 85:15 if someone can provide a video or gif you can see Rojo moving forward towards the ball and leave Hernandez in an offside position while Smalling is back-pedalling and moving sidewys closer to the ball too playing him onside and leaving Markovic in acres of space on the other side. He should have closed him down instead of moving towards the ball and even then after Markovic recieves the ball he doesn't close him down enough meaning he was able to get the shot away.

Few other things as well like back passing to De Gea and general ball distribution simply shows that he really is our poorest centre back and too rightly is down the pecking order.

He can provide relief in rotation but considering we have won just one game since he's been back in the team and could have lost twice in one week to poor opposition like Hull doesn't fill me with enough confidence to grant him even that.

Playing against Blackburn is as much as I'd be comfortable with Smalling in the team.

Last edited:

m1y2

He pissed me off with the Markovic effort. Just stood off him :mad:

Would have cost us that measly point.
as a defender in his situation, he was blocking the angle to for a pass to another incoming player from his left, there was very very little space for the shot, if markovic managed to find that pass that could have been the goal, last piece of positioning was fine, he might have reacted quicker before it went to the situation but his positioning was safe to say okay, as the goalkeeper should always be on the shot and defender on the killer pass. He could have stepped out but Markovic as a lot of other players with close control could have dribbled him in this situation. I am not sure if I explained it well enough for someone who watch football only on telly but I tried my best, no problem.

but yeah just let's all blame Smalling, he's a great scapegoat, even though he could have been played more aggressively and decisively, he's done fine past few games, with the confidence back, he'll probably react quicker but at least he doesn't lose his mind like some players.. It was a safe desicion from him this time, decision which defenders do plenty, then it's on the players if they can exploit it, good piece of play from Markovic

Manny

Grammar Police
as a defender in his situation, he was blocking the angle to for a pass to another incoming player from his left, there was very very little space for the shot, if markovic managed to find that pass that could have been the goal, last piece of positioning was fine, he might have reacted quicker before it went to the situation but his positioning was safe to say okay, as the goalkeeper should always be on the shot and defender on the killer pass. He could have stepped out but Markovic as a lot of other players with close control could have dribbled him in this situation. I am not sure if I explained it well enough for someone who watch football only on telly but I tried my best, no problem.

but yeah just let's all blame Smalling, he's a great scapegoat, even though he could have been played more aggressively and decisively, he's done fine past few games, with the confidence back, he'll probably react quicker but at least he doesn't lose his mind like some players.. It was a safe desicion from him this time, decision which defenders do plenty, then it's on the players if they can exploit it, good piece of play from Markovic
I have to disagree.

I can see what your are saying but to me it looked like he stood off, got caught on his heels and gave Markovic that yard of space and the time to get the shot off. I'd have thought forcing Markovic wide would have prevented the through ball, cut the angle for the shot and forced Markovic onto his weaker foot. What Smalling did wasn't fine at all, imo.

A better forward with better execution afforded that time and space would have stuck that in the net.

Last edited:

m1y2

I have to disagree.

I can see what your are saying but to me it looked like he stood off, got caught on his heels and gave Markovic that yard of space and the time to get the shot off. I'd have thought forcing Markovic wide would have prevented the through ball, cut the angle for the shot and forced Markovic onto his weaker foot. What Smalling did wasn't fine at all, imo.

A better forward with better execution afforded that time and space would have stuck that in the net.

thanks for posting the video. so I remembered it well. In this case you can see that Rojo fall asleep a little so Smalling is covering a potential pass to the other hull player running through the centre, it's actually a clever little run by their striker. nothing wrong with that leaving space for Markovic, and covering the pass to the guy in more dangerous position... here there's a little hesitation from Smalling who having been more aggressive and decisive could react quicker and get to the ball quicker but he turned too slowly but I already mentioned that in my previous comment.. once the ball got to Markovic first he's done well to stand him off not to get dribbled to the middle or letting slip the pass to the striker from the inside, he kept him shooting almost standing, and keeper should have that covered imo, even though it'd be harsh to criticise degea for not covering the front post as Markovic could go to the middle and have a shot too but he could have time to move then, Smalling trying hard to stay on his tiptoes jsut about puts weight on his right when markovic decides to shoot so he can't block the shot. His positioning in the final phase was good, he could have done better catching the pass before. He forced markovic going wide maybe didnt expected having a shot this early but still covered that angle so Markovic just about couldnt score..

Wouldn't criticize him there much, there are situations in football which in which attackers are in advantage and you can't do nothing about it, unless you risk or they fail to take the advantage. Positioning wise he's done better than Rojo

Status
Not open for further replies.