g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highfather_24

Eriksen will play as the #10 probably, rotating with Bruno. I reckon we might see Van de Beek being used as an #6/#8 in the double pivot along with Fred, FDJ, Garner etc.

----VdB/Fred---FDJ/Garner
------Eriksen/Bruno

avgp_1

He has adapted, he is playing a lot deeper now than his Spurs days. I think he'll be very useful for us. We lack players who are good in possession at the moment, Mata and Matic were the only ones who could do that last year but they lacked the mobility. Eriksen still has that

If we get De Jong, he can play alongside him and another defensive player. Also we have an able option to do the playmaking if De Jong is not available for some games, which is what concerned me when we went all out for him.

OmarUnited4ever

One of the major attributes for a DM is to tackle and win the ball. McFred are not DMs specifically for that reason while they have other attributes of DM. You can read the game well but you need to tackle and win, otherwise it wont work in PL.
I know for sure Bruno and Eriksen do not tackle a lot , not sure about De Jong. I dont think we would see a lot of Bruno, De jong , Eriksen unless it is 3 at back or when we are chasing a goal.
I think what matters the most is how the whole team plays the game, so things like positional awareness and discipline will be key, tackling is not a the only way to win possession of the ball.

skc_18

I think what matters the most is how the whole team plays the game, so things like positional awareness and discipline will be key, tackling is not a the only way to win possession of the ball.
Yeah theoretically anything can be possible but I don't think there are many clubs which dominated in Europe last few seasons without their DM doing lot of interceptions and tackles(standing or sliding).

Withnail

One of the major attributes for a DM is to tackle and win the ball. McFred are not DMs specifically for that reason while they have other attributes of DM. You can read the game well but you need to tackle and win, otherwise it wont work in PL.
I know for sure Bruno and Eriksen do not tackle a lot , not sure about De Jong. I dont think we would see a lot of Bruno, De jong , Eriksen unless it is 3 at back or when we are chasing a goal.

What are tackles?

OmarUnited4ever

Yeah theoretically anything can be possible but I don't think there are many clubs which dominated in Europe last few seasons without their DM doing lot of interceptions and tackles(standing or sliding).
Busquets & Carrick are not known for being tackling DMs as Casemiro or Ndidi, yet, there were part of teams that dominated Europe

Busquets played for a Barca 2009-2015 version which was very successful and dominated Europe, that team dominated the ball a lot and didn't require a lot of defensive work, but he was intelligent and able to snuff out danger, with positioning and reading the flow of the game, mostly intercepting, not so much tackling.

Carrick, during United's 2007-2009 era of domestic and European success, played for SAF's united that was overall a defensively solid unit (only Ronaldo was given less defensive duties), Carrick was known for his ability to block passing lanes and read the game and make the right movements off the ball, he didn't have to launch into tackles.

But yes, Bruno, Eriksen and De Jong midfield could work, theoretically only for now, we do not know if it actually can work in a competitive game.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
In professional football playing the position and anticipation is more important than tackling. The reason why players such as Carrick and Buskets were acclaimed.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Eriksen will sign on page 100. So obvious.

cyberman

In professional football playing the position and anticipation is more important than tackling. The reason why players such as Carrick and Buskets were acclaimed.
Football moves on though. Busquets has been getting pressed and overran for the last 6/7 years now at the highest level in Europe.

Sultan

But yes, Bruno, Eriksen and De Jong midfield could work, theoretically only for now, we do not know if it actually can work in a competitive game.
The trio on paper would work like a dream for most games. The ball retaining and passing skills of de Jong and Eriksen together with the unpredictability of Bruno seems a great combination.

Real Name

The trio on paper would work like a dream for most games. The ball retaining and passing skills of de Jong and Eriksen together with the unpredictability of Bruno seems a great combination.
This will work well against lesser opponents but not sure for the tougher ones.

Sultan

Football moves on though. Busquets has been getting pressed and overran for the last 6/7 years now at the highest level in Europe.
I only watch Barcelona occasionally these days so not sure of his present performances. He's also getting old and not playing with the same quality of players will obviously have an effect on his performances. He was a master at his role and dark arts when Barcelona were at their peak.

Pronewbie

Peep
What measurable qualities do you speak of? Tireless running with mediocre outcomes? Fletcher and Park were levels above them and weren’t regular starters for the club.

Obviously I don’t think this new midfield is good enough to win the league, but it is a great starting point to compete for top 4.

I just went to look at Fred's stats. 3.6 tackles (49% success-rate) and interceptions per game:
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5906/Fred/stats

Pogba - 2.1 tackles (68% success rate) and interceptions per game
https://www.premierleague.com/players/3920/Paul-Pogba/stats

McT - 2.5 tackles (54% success rate) and interceptions per game:
https://www.premierleague.com/players/14824/Scott-McTominay/stats

———

Eriksen apparently averaged 3.2 tackles and interceptions at mighty Brentford at LCM, while offering impressive control and offensive threat. They also drastically improved their results and possession stats after Eriksen joined:
https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/how-christian-eriksen-transformed-brentford

De Jong averaged 2 tackles (70%+ success rate) and interceptions per game as CM and despite Barca’s higher possession stats. I’ll agree that the proof is in the pudding as to whether he can make the PL transition defensively.

Bruno averaged 2.2 tackles (53% success rate) and interceptions per game:
https://www.premierleague.com/players/23396/Bruno-Fernandes/stats
———

As for the DMs who played in recent title-winning sides - Michael Carrick averaged 2.3 (but includes stats from his attacking days and declining years), Fabinho 3.2, Fernandinho 3.7, Kante 5.3(!), Casemiro ~5, Busquets 3.4. Meanwhile, muppet favourite Ruben Neves averaged 3.6 (similar to Fred).

So yes, in my opinion there is every reason to believe that a midfield trio of Eriksen, De Jong and Bruno is more balanced than the previous one of Pogba + Bruno + Mc/Fred. If Eriksen and De Jong can average 2.8 as a double pivot they would be on par, if not better, than a Pogba + Mc/Fred pairing defensively, while offering more in terms of control and attacking output.

Individually - if Pogba plays, he’s a massive defensive burden and loses the ball too often in dangerous positions. if McT/Fred plays instead, they are a control and attacking liability.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If anyone think that any of FdJ, Eriksen, Bruno, or VdB is close to Busquet or Carrick defensively, you'll be in for a shock. Are people here so young to remember how the latter two played (at their peak)?

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

Agreed, but it still needs to function inside a "functioning" team that has a good offence and solid defense (attackers & defenders need to work as a part of a unit)

El Jefe

If anyone think that any of FdJ, Eriksen, Bruno, or VdB is close to Busquet or Carrick defensively, you'll be in for a shock. Are people here so young to remember how the latter two played (at their peak)?
Yup its a lazy comparison. Regardless of if they were tackling midfielders or not, Carrick and Busquets were defensive midfielders, they just happened to be really good at passing too.

De Jong is not a DM and I'm not even sure if Eriksen is a CM as he's always played more of an attacking midfield role. I know we want to see all our new toys in the same team but I really don't see a midfield of FDJ, Eriksen and Bruno.

cyberman

I only watch Barcelona occasionally these days so not sure of his present performances. He's also getting old and not playing with the same quality of players will obviously have an effect on his performances. He was a master at his role and dark arts when Barcelona were at their peak.
But I’ve made this point in here before so I might be repeating myself but Busquets is 34. He has been in midfields that have been completely overrun since they last won the CL at a stage he was supposedly in his prime. He’s like Pogba, you can see the evolution of the game happen within his career to where his strengths aren’t that strong anymore and his deficiencies are ruthlessly exposed.
You can’t really have Deep laying midfielders anymore. They become pressing triggers for the opposition.

Smores

What measurable qualities do you speak of? Tireless running with mediocre outcomes? Fletcher and Park were levels above them and weren’t regular starters for the club.

Obviously I don’t think this new midfield is good enough to win the league, but it is a great starting point to compete for top 4.

I just went to look at Fred's stats. 3.6 tackles (49% success-rate) and interceptions per game:
https://www.premierleague.com/players/5906/Fred/stats

Pogba - 2.1 tackles (68% success rate) and interceptions per game
https://www.premierleague.com/players/3920/Paul-Pogba/stats

McT - 2.5 tackles (54% success rate) and interceptions per game:
https://www.premierleague.com/players/14824/Scott-McTominay/stats

———

Eriksen apparently averaged 3.2 tackles and interceptions at mighty Brentford at LCM, while offering impressive control and offensive threat. They also drastically improved their results and possession stats after Eriksen joined:
https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/how-christian-eriksen-transformed-brentford

De Jong averaged 2 tackles (70%+ success rate) and interceptions per game as CM and despite Barca’s higher possession stats. I’ll agree that the proof is in the pudding as to whether he can make the PL transition defensively.

Bruno averaged 2.2 tackles (53% success rate) and interceptions per game:
https://www.premierleague.com/players/23396/Bruno-Fernandes/stats
———

As for the DMs who played in recent title-winning sides - Michael Carrick averaged 2.3, Fabinho 3.2, Fernandinho 3.7, Kante 5.3(!), Casemiro ~5, Busquets 3.4. Meanwhile, muppet favourite Ruben Neves averaged 3.6 (similar to Fred).

So yes, in my opinion there is every reason to believe that a midfield trio of Eriksen, De Jong and Bruno is more balanced than the previous one of Pogba + Bruno + Mc/Fred. If Eriksen and De Jong can average 2.8 as a double pivot they would be on par, if not better, than a Pogba + Mc/Fred pairing defensively, while offering more in terms of control and attacking output.

Individually - if Pogba plays, he’s a massive defensive burden and loses the ball too often in dangerous positions. if McT/Fred plays instead, they are a control and attacking liability.
There's more to being a defensive midfielder than tackles, that's far too basic of a comparison. Carrick who you bolded is a perfect example, his strength was cutting off the lines and making interceptions.

All our current lot have okay tackling stats but they let attackers run through them easily. Our lines get broken because players don't shield and cut off the passing lanes.

Erickson, FDJ, Bruno would have the same issue as they're not that type of player.

Pronewbie

Peep
I’m not sure about Busquets but Carrick’s greatest defensive strength was his ability to screen the defence during opposition transitions, meaning teams had a harder time threading balls through dangerous, more central areas. This meant that his tackling and interception stats may not be very high, because he’d already marshalled out any possibility of pass into his area. It is possible that the game has evolved since then but I’d imagine that his defensive awareness would still be relevant in today’s game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yup its a lazy comparison. Regardless of if they were tackling midfielders or not, Carrick and Busquets were defensive midfielders, they just happened to be really good at passing too.

De Jong is not a DM and I'm not even sure if Eriksen is a CM as he's always played more of an attacking midfield role. I know we want to see all our new toys in the same team but I really don't see a midfield of FDJ, Eriksen and Bruno.
Yes. Ajax might get away with FdJ and non-DM in the past because the whole team were geared on possession based style, from top to bottom.
With us, those three would be out of breath by 30 minutes, chasing the loose balls or defending because of attack and defence couldn't keep the ball.

Sultan

But I’ve made this point in here before so I might be repeating myself but Busquets is 34. He has been in midfields that have been completely overrun since they last won the CL at a stage he was supposedly in his prime. He’s like Pogba, you can see the evolution of the game happen within his career to where his strengths aren’t that strong anymore and his deficiencies are ruthlessly exposed.
You can’t really have Deep laying midfielders anymore. They become pressing triggers for the opposition.
Very good points.

However, how many top teams can we realistically say are going to go hard at pressing in the Premier League? I would say at best about 4/5. If the press gets beaten with the ball-playing skills of Eriksen and FdJ the opposition can be counter-attacked easily.

Pronewbie

Peep
There's more to being a defensive midfielder than tackles, that's far too basic of a comparison. Carrick who you bolded is a perfect example, his strength was cutting off the lines and making interceptions.

All our current lot have okay tackling stats but they let attackers run through them easily. Our lines get broken because players don't shield and cut off the passing lanes.

Erickson, FDJ, Bruno would have the same issue as they're not that type of player.
I’m using his points against him. I also posted a follow-up on Carrick and un-bolded it in my edit as I wanted to explain that better in a separate post, which you have done so succinctly.

I disagree with your 2nd point. I think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Especially since Ten Hag’s Ajax weren’t exactly defensively porous in the champions league, averaging 1 goal conceded per game in 32 matches. For a team competing for top 4, I’d gladly take that.

Edit: For the record - City conceded 25 goals in 30 group matches. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt for the 1st season. And as a long-suffering fan, I’d gladly watch attacking exciting football while we get the balance right.

Last edited:

Trex

Most people were saying VDB would be the DM when we signed him in a DVB-Pogba-Bruno midfield too.
Turns our DVB he was Bruno alternative, enough with the mental gymnastics, Eriksen is always the most advanced midfielder in trio and so is Bruno, to fit together in a team one would have to play wide or as a false 9, except if ETH wants to play a City type double 10 system.

AdNani

Most people were saying VDB would be the DM when we signed him in a DVB-Pogba-Bruno midfield too.
Turns our DVB he was Bruno alternative, enough with the mental gymnastics, Eriksen is always the most advanced midfielder in trio and so is Bruno, to fit together in a team one would have to play wide or as a false 9, except if ETH wants to play a City type double 10 system.
He didn't play as a 10 for Brentford

Amadevs

Supports
United
Okay, I don't want to be the chicken here, but I am sensing something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
I mean, how many days have passed since the "verbal agreement"? Ten, maybe, or even two weeks?
How long does the medicines take, even for a heart issues in the past?
What worries me is "verbal agreement" - this could mean "Ye, I will sign for ya guys, but until you drag me to sign the contract, I will be checking and waiting for my other options? Okay with you? Great, thanks, count me in."

Far more completed deals have collapsed in the past - see Obi Mikel for example.
If it's not done by Friday, I reckon someone has changed his mind.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well you can be glass half empty, or half full, depending on what you choose to see. The media tend to see Eriksen as a decent enough player, a good replacement for Lingard/Mata, but not anything to get excited about. Alternatively, you can view Eriksen as being a regular starter and part of a potentially massive upgrade to our central midfield in a Scholes-like role.
I believe like you that we will see him in a deeper scholes like role. He’s got the passing to surprise a lot of people. He’s no bench sitter

tidraKS

We played half of the season and got to a Champions League with a Carrick-Giggs midfield, and you're saying we cannot play a Frenkie-Eriksen-Bruno midfield. Of course we can, the same as City plays Rodri-Silva-KdB. It's a matter of the setup.

Trex

We played half of the season and got to a Champions League with a Carrick-Giggs midfield, and you're saying we cannot play a Frenkie-Eriksen-Bruno midfield. Of course we can, the same as City plays Rodri-Silva-KdB. It's a matter of the setup.
Unless ETH plays something like
Eriksen Bruno
De Jong
De Jong plays this role in front of a back three for the dutch national team. But the idea of Eriksen playing any deeper than this would be a new role in his career.
At Brentford he played with Norgaard and Janelt who are more defensive partners.

bazza3727

Folks need to remember that for the coming season five subs are allowed, which gives plenty of room for the manager to use various combinations. It may also stop players moaning about not getting enough playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.