Christian Pulisic | Chelsea player

Jaybomb

He's a United player if I ever saw one. I'd be gutted to see him move elsewhere. He's perfect for us and could be our next poster boy.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
He's a United player if I ever saw one. I'd be gutted to see him move elsewhere. He's perfect for us and could be our next poster boy.
Best and most popular US player playing for the most popular club in the US that has US owners. :drool: Woodward and the Glazers must be licking their lips.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
An interesting "fact" from the piece on 60 Minutes, the USA has more than 4.5 million youth players, more than any other country. Is that even true? I would assume that based simply by size alone China has more people doing everything than any other country.

Assuming the US youth participation fact is true, however, it makes sense to me that there would be some WC talent being identified (Pulisic was identified by EU scouts at age 12) and then trained appropriately in the US or elsewhere. Frankly, it is more surprising that there hasn't been more WC talent from the US than just Pulisic given the level of participation and resources available.
Most youth players in the US play multiple sports. Many youth talents (especially the athletic ones) choose to concentrate on the more lucrative American sports when entering middle school/high school. And I would imagine that most parents prefer their kids to follow the traditional American professional athlete path - middle school, high school, college, and then pro - than sending their kids to be trained at an MLS club or uproot their lives and move to Europe. And we all know that kids should be trained by professional clubs early on in life (say before 12 y/o) otherwise it would be too late for the kids to develop into world stars.

Pulisic is different. His parents are coaches. They had a plan on training him - have him play footsall with older kids, concentrate on individual creative skills over team play, etc. They also moved to Germany so that Christian can train with Dortmund (remember the rules that put Barca and Madrid in troubles). I would imagine that it will take a while until US has another true star in their team.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Most youth players in the US play multiple sports. Many youth talents (especially the athletic ones) choose to concentrate on the more lucrative American sports when entering middle school/high school. And I would imagine that most parents prefer their kids to follow the traditional American professional athlete path - middle school, high school, college, and then pro - than sending their kids to be trained at an MLS club or uproot their lives and move to Europe. And we all know that kids should be trained by professional clubs early on in life (say before 12 y/o) otherwise it would be too late for the kids to develop into world stars.

Pulisic is different. His parents are coaches. They had a plan on training him - have him play footsall with older kids, concentrate on individual creative skills over team play, etc. They also moved to Germany so that Christian can train with Dortmund (remember the rules that put Barca and Madrid in troubles). I would imagine that it will take a while until US has another true star in their team.
It seems Pulisic did not push him as hard as you would expect them to. It seems Pulisic was mostly self motivated growing up. And he did not join Dortmund until he was 16 since he has a Croatian passport he did not have tow wait until 18 like most Americans.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713937-the-christian-pulisic-blueprint

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
It's not Woodward's duty or role to scout, so doesn't matter if Woodward is not aware of the player. ;)
What scouting would be needed for Pulisic? The talent and quality is clear to see. I feel the likes of Abramovic, Guaporta, Florentino Perez have/had far more knowledge of players than Woodward. Who does a decent job closing the deals though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What scouting would be needed for Pulisic? The talent and quality is clear to see. I feel the likes of Abramovic, Guaporta, Florentino Perez have/had far more knowledge of players than Woodward. Who does a decent job closing the deals though.
It's not their role to know very much about players. They will have scouts, DoFs, Coaches to do all that.

Also who knows more about players is pure guess work. For all we know Woodword might be having huge database with all the players strengths and weaknesses,

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's not their role to know very much about players. They will have scouts, DoFs, Coaches to do all that.

Also who knows more about players is pure guess work. For all we know Woodword might be having huge database with all the players strengths and weaknesses,
He probably does, it's called "Football Manager" :wenger:. In all seriousness, he probably does.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A player I am certain will play for us at some point.
I wouldn't be so sure. He's gonna be 20 next year and all the big clubs are gonna be circling around him. I think he will make the move next year but with Jose as our manager I doubt he'd take a 20 year old prodigy over established talents like Griezmann or Ozil or Sanchez( I know they don't play the exact same position as him but have similar roles). And if he moves to another big club it's gonna be that much harder to get him.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)

It's not their job but it sure comes in handy. We go by the way of every new manager that comes in, Florentino Perez for example targets a specific group of players who are now fundamental to the succes of Real Madrid and the upcoming succes of them too. He is a prick but very knowledgable and smart, Woodward seems more like the financial giant who gets the deals done. Which isnt surprising as that was his role to begin with.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Every international break he does well against some 3rd rate nation and the hype goes up a bit. :houllier:

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Every international break he does well against some 3rd rate nation and he hype goes up a bit. :houllier:
Happens with every half decent player from any team, let the Americans have this, he could be their first superstar.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I wouldn't be so sure. He's gonna be 20 next year and all the big clubs are gonna be circling around him. I think he will make the move next year but with Jose as our manager I doubt he'd take a 20 year old prodigy over established talents like Griezmann or Ozil or Sanchez( I know they don't play the exact same position as him but have similar roles). And if he moves to another big club it's gonna be that much harder to get him.
He'll come here in the summer. Won't let him roast on that stick during the World Cup. Price and demand would increase even more.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fantastic talent and still 19. It seems we have lots of young players today who aren't just potential and 'need to be eased in', they're already good enough to be a starter: Pulisic, Mbappe, Dembele, Asensio, Rashford, Martial, Coman etc.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He'll come here in the summer. Won't let him roast on that stick during the World Cup. Price and demand would increase even more.
I hope you're right and we sign him next summer. But I just can't see Mourinho signing him. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though, as I would love to have Pulisic here.

Pagh Wraith

Like many, over time in the USA the pronunciation of family names changes (like towns, etc). The way he and his family pronounce their name isn't the way it would be pronounced in the Balkans.

Makes for interesting TV, German announcers mangle it regularly (being more comfortable with Balkan names)
Yeah, I get that. Just think how ridiculous it would sound if someone said Vidick or Modrick though.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, I get that. Just think how ridiculous it would sound if someone said Vidick or Modrick though.
But lots of American names are like that. They sound ridiculous in the "original" context, but are normal in American English.

NFL quarterback Jay Schroeder pronounced his name "Shray-der", for example - and obviously in German "Schröder" is a common name pronounced very differently. Pulisic is just another example of that same process where immigrant names slowly become "American" over a few generations.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Like many, over time in the USA the pronunciation of family names changes (like towns, etc). The way he and his family pronounce their name isn't the way it would be pronounced in the Balkans.

Makes for interesting TV, German announcers mangle it regularly (being more comfortable with Balkan names)
There is a fantastic recent one, where somebody explained it´s Puli-sick and then called him Puli-sitsch three times in the same sentence. It´s just not happening. Creatures of habit.

PieCrust

He's better than Rashford, who currently starts for us. As long as he doesn't go to Liverpool, who ends up being linked with him every summer, I'll be happy.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
There is a fantastic recent one, where somebody explained it´s Puli-sick and then called him Puli-sitsch three times in the same sentence. It´s just not happening. Creatures of habit.
Because frankly it's not 'mangling' a name to pronounce it as it is meant to be pronounced. "Pah-lease-ick" is not an acceptable pronunciation of the name, even if it's the one the family itself uses or prefers.
Names are not personal property or individual invention. It's a Croatian name. If someone named "Smith" would insist on being pronounced "Smitt" you wouldn't indulge him either, would you?

You're not calling them Ana Ivanovick, Milla Jovovick, or Rod Blagojevick either. The "ic" at the end is pronounced "itsh" and that's the end of it.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Isn't his preferred position the RW? That would suit us to a tee. Add the fact that he is an United fan and extremely marketable and this just makes too much sense.

Sterling Archer

Best and most popular US player playing for the most popular club in the US that has US owners. :drool: Woodward and the Glazers must be licking their lips.
Oh boy oh boy that would be fantastic

Every international break he does well against some 3rd rate nation and the hype goes up a bit. :houllier:
You are embarrassing yourself. Youngest foreign player to score in the bundesliga,youngest of any nationality to score a brace and has been progressing really well since then.

Not hype. He is one of the most promising young footballers. And on the international scene, well Friday he did more for his team qualifying hopes than Messi. Pressure doesn't seem to faze him much.

Solo Toure

Isn't his preferred position the RW? That would suit us to a tee. Add the fact that he is an United fan and extremely marketable and this just makes too much sense.
Agreed, this summers transfer window will be pretty exciting for us.

Obviously I am hoping for young players to step up from the academy and the fringes, TFM, Tuanzbe, Andreas, Gomes and others.

There are opportunities in numerous positions as the likes of Tony V, Carrick, Zlatan, Shaw(LB in general), Young will have left or will have a lack of game time.

So RB,LB,CM,RW,AM positions are areas where we should be looking to fill with quality acquisitions in the near future.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You are embarrassing yourself. Youngest foreign player to score in the bundesliga,youngest of any nationality to score a brace and has been progressing really well since then.

Not hype. He is one of the most promising young footballers. And on the international scene, well Friday he did more for his team qualifying hopes than Messi. Pressure doesn't seem to faze him much.
A brace is two goals in a match, right - or am I lost in translation here? He hasn't done that yet. And the youngest foreign player to score in Bundesliga is still Sahin, which actually shows how little that means.
But yes, you clearly seem to know better.

I'm not even saying he isn't talented btw. I would say however that from watching both him and Dembele play for the same team, that he is a tier below the Frenchman and thus I don't really get (from a sporting perspective) why he is praised like some certain world class player.

He played most his matches as a RW, but I reckon that also has a lot to do with Reus and Dembele (initially) occupying the left. Now that Yarmolenko is taking the RW role I expect him to play a lot more on the left. And FWIW one guy from Spielverlagerung ("the" German tactics blog) claimed that someone from the club told him they could see him develop into a a more central role a while back (iirc).

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

A brace is two goals in a match, right - or am I lost in translation here? He hasn't done that yet. And the youngest foreign player to score in Bundesliga is still Sahin, which actually shows how little that means.
But yes, you clearly seem to know better.

I'm not even saying he isn't talented btw. I would say however that from watching both him and Dembele play for the same team, that he is a tier below the Frenchman and thus I don't really get (from a sporting perspective) why he is praised like some certain world class player.

He played most his matches as a RW, but I reckon that also has a lot to do with Reus and Dembele (initially) occupying the left. Now that Yarmolenko is taking the RW role I expect him to play a lot more on the left. And FWIW one guy from Spielverlagerung ("the" German tactics blog) claimed that someone from the club told him they could see him develop into a a more central role a while back (iirc).
Youngest to score a Brace in the bundesliga. Look it up if you don't believe my word.