Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegadrivePerson

As a poster above mentioned, City are still running pride initiatives and invest in their women's team.
For now they are.

What do you think is the end goal for sports washers buying up football clubs, golf tournaments etc?

Or are they just doing this out of the goodness of their hearts?

We've already seen what happens when you allow Russian money in to this country. I personally will completely boycott the club if we are taken over by Qatar/Saudi ownership.

Zen86

My sentiments exactly but my path to this point, much like yourself, has been reluctant acceptance, not gleeful anticipation. This is where football has arrived in the 2020’s. If you want to compete with for the biggest trophies this is the only way moving forward, and we all knew this was coming sooner or later.
Even if you ignore the transfer budget/wages side of things, we need significant investment just to avoid the stadium/facilities slipping into further decay. I hate what the oil states have done to the sport but I can't see any other way out for us as it stands. Nobody else is going to invest what's needed to improve our infrastructure. I very much dislike the idea, but I don't think there are any good owners at this level of football.

It's ultimately a path that the Glazers set us on when they loaded the club with debt and generally most aspects of the club.

Strootman's Finger

American consortium would be a nightmare and probably no different to the knuckle dragging pond life we’ve despised for 18 years, I honestly have no issues whatsoever about being owned by an oil state if it means we’re competing for honours regularly and I have no shame in admitting it. I’ve supported UTD for over 40 years and I’ll always support them no matter the owner as it’s simply join in or be left behind in the wilderness, fully appreciate that many others find this view abhorrent and it’s their choice so I have no issues with their views either
How could it possibly be the same? The Glazers bought United at the peak of their success. They then used that success to bleed the club completely dry, without generating any new success and thus sustaining the ability to make money off the club. They let assets like Old Trafford and Carrington completely deteriorate, to the point where they have to be replace, or completely overhauled. This club will need billions in investment, on top of the billions paid to purchase it. We are no way shape or form a cash cow for American investors. No one is buying this club to continue not investing and extracting money, if that could still be down the Glazers wouldn't be selling.

Jack_Daniels

I would rather watch my beloved Manchester United get relegated than being pumped full of oil money and being exploited in a large scale sportwashing operation. Scary to see people starting to rationalize the prospect of Qatari- and Saudi-type owners.

You have become the very thing you swore to destroy.

Luka Mora

I don't know about anyone else but if new owners gave us 700 million to spend I would be pretty embarrassed, and it would tarnish any success we had.

All billionaires probably are dodgy, but there are degrees of dodginess. For example; would you pick Rupert Murdoch over Bill Gates, or the Musk family over the Kapoors? Likewise I would be comfortable with Dubai buying us, but not Qatar. Saudi Arabia would be the worst in my opinion.
I don't think it will tarnish any success. Since the glazers took over we spent over a billion in transfers these last few years albeit marred by penning pinching and selective times of spending on players. We;ve seen first hand that Money doesn't guarantee success. It's not just about spending 700 mil it's about being able to compete with the best of the best

We are in dire need of an injection of cash, not just clearing the debt, we need renovation to training and stadium facilities, recruitment and structure and our best bet is with a arab owner and most of them have a pedigree of making sure the clubs they take over are modernised and hire the best footballing experts in terms of sporting directors, scouts and administration within the club. American owners we have seen have a tendency to interere and believe they know best, which seems to be a European tendency

In an ideal world there would be a good family owner who had was loaded available to take over and be sure to bring us back to the top. But unfortunately we dont live in an ideal world and it's a bit of a catch 22 when you bring ethics into the equation over corporate ownership. The glazers are American and America has committed a load of atrocities which make me sick to the stomach, its just they have so much influence world wide wie are conditioned to play it down or be numbed to it. I think we'd all agree Tom Boely name's isn't associated with war crimes just because he's American

I know thats not what you've implied in your post, but it seems people are quick to associate any Arab owner to high levels of corruption.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't think it will tarnish any success. Since the glazers took over we spent over a billion in transfers these last few years albeit marred by penning pinching and selective times of spending on players. We;ve seen first hand that Money doesn't guarantee success. It's not just about spending 700 mil it's about being able to compete with the best of the best

We are in dire need of an injection of cash, not just clearing the debt, we need renovation to training and stadium facilities, recruitment and structure and our best bet is with a arab owner and most of them have a pedigree of making sure the clubs they take over are modernised and hire the best footballing experts in terms of sporting directors, scouts and administration within the club. American owners we have seen have a tendency to interere and believe they know best, which seems to be a European tendency

In an ideal world there would be a good family owner who had was loaded available to take over and be sure to bring us back to the top. But unfortunately we dont live in an ideal world and it's a bit of a catch 22 when you bring ethics into the equation over corporate ownership. The glazers are American and America has committed a load of atrocities which make me sick to the stomach, its just they have so much influence world wide wie are conditioned to play it down or be numbed to it. I think we'd all agree Tom Boely name's isn't associated with war crimes just because he's American

I know thats not what you've implied in your post, but it seems people are quick to associate any Arab owner to high levels of corruption.
I get what you're saying and it's fair to point out.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The game went a long time ago.

If you're against Regimes, Arab States, Oligarchs, Oil Barrons or ghastly Americans to the point you'd rather see United relegated than sell its soul...you won't get your wish. The highest bidder or investor will jump aboard the ship.

The days of a local person/consortium or even the fan-owned dream are incredibly unrealistic and will never ever happen. This is the danger of being one of the biggest Sporting Organisations on the planet - like me those who jumped aboard as the Premier League and United grew hand in hand during the 90s have contributed to where this is going.

You either support the club for the club and disassociate current and future owners, or you give it up imo. There is definitely no middle ground or compromise here.

There are few organisations, individuals, consortiums or regimes who have the resources to take on United and improve United at the same time, and not a single one is likeable for a variety of reasons.

the_cliff

If you're against Regimes, Arab States, Oligarchs, Oil Barrons or ghastly Americans to the point you'd rather see United relegated than sell its soul...you won't get your wish. The highest bidder or investor will jump aboard the ship.

The days of a local person/consortium or even the fan-owned dream are incredibly unrealistic and will never ever happen. This is the danger of being one of the biggest Sporting Organisations on the planet - like me those who jumped aboard as the Premier League and United grew hand in hand during the 90s have contributed to where this is going.

You either support the club for the club and disassociate current and future owners, or you give it up imo. There is definitely no middle ground or compromise here.

There are few organisations, individuals, consortiums or regimes who have the resources to take on United and improve United at the same time, and not a single one is likeable for a variety of reasons.
Agreed. With big money comes corruption. Not just in football, in everything.

That being said, it's still sad to think about and can understand if people are annoyed and don't see the same United anymore, so I don't think your second point of no middle ground or compromise is valid.

marktan

Already pretty disillusioned with football and i think this would be gg for me with United. Maybe I'll take up running or something instead.

Puskas_007

Completely agree, the only other option would have been the club being bought out in a membership scheme, BUT that would have already had to have happened because the acquisition cost is too eyewatering for that to be realistically achievable.

Thing is, if we'd have been member owned in the 80s we'd have probably sacked Fergie (not my vote in hindsight obviously!), so it is not as though that's a dream scenario either.

Totally agree with the above post, the way things currently are, to compete, which means best players on highest wages with best facilities/infrastructure, you need a billionaire, and we are then at their mercy....

City have had all the success due to money being pumped in, but it's all to do with that, they owe everything to a cash cow, but it's hard to see how else it possible because of the amounts of money being thrown at the game currently.

My only hope is that it does feel like the clubs revenues mean that if it was actually run properly, money spent on the infrastructure (i.e., not on dividends) and on players that will actually fit a cohesive plan, we could have been fighting nearer the top, so could someone with business savvy see that and make it happen, feels like pie in the sky but not impossible...

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Agreed. With big money comes corruption. Not just in football, in everything.

That being said, it's still sad to think about and can understand if people are annoyed and don't see the same United anymore, so I don't think your second point of no middle ground or compromise is valid.
People are allowed to be disillusioned...but as pawns in a world with 2,668 billionaires we have no means to instigate compromise.

We couldn't stop the Glazers...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I would rather watch my beloved Manchester United get relegated than being pumped full of oil money and being exploited in a large scale sportwashing operation. Scary to see people starting to rationalize the prospect of Qatari- and Saudi-type owners.

You have become the very thing you swore to destroy.
I am afraid that I am still a bit far off in reaching the wealth of a saudi/Qatari prince

Strootman's Finger

Why is everyone so convinced an oil state will take over. I haven't seen any real news to suggest that's the case. Am I missing something?

Giggsy13

Let’s be honest, it’s now nearly 2023. The days of Jack Walker types owning a club and investing their own money is long gone. Very few people in the world can afford to do that without expecting a ROI. I’ve accepted this is where we are at. If it’s oil money, it is what it is. Part of me thinks it would be better for the club than more American investors looking for regular large dividends. We are more likely to see stadium redevelopment, the neighbouring community invested in, training ground investment, staff etc.
100% this. It’s an unfortunate means to an end, but the reality is state ownership isn’t going anywhere and United being owned by one of the oil nations will have our rivals shitting themselves. I’ll take that as well tbh.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment by the poster. Relax, there will be no implementation of Shariah law at Old Trafford. Your human nature comment whatever that means, will not be affected.
Do you have any news on who might be buying Manchester united? I remember that you used to give us some valuable and detailed info on how these ME families work.

Tarrou

Why is everyone so convinced an oil state will take over. I haven't seen any real news to suggest that's the case. Am I missing something?
its a lot of cash to fork out for 20m a year in dividends, and the club needs investment too

unless there is some other clear revenue stream or growth potential available its hard to see value investors taking the risk

nothing is certain though obviously, its just speculation at this point

The Urban Goose

Funny seeing people backtrack and trying to justify state ownership.
feck that shit.. absolutely not ok.
Not that the club will miss me... I'm irrelevant and I know that.. but I'm not going to sit and pretend its all good and be fine with it.
Yep. If this happens I'll become a plastic Forest fan.

Luka Mora

The Ultimate Top Red demonstration would be to stop supporting the club because of oil owners whilst trying to make fellow fans feel guilty for supporting the club.

You simply can't top that, it will be Top of the Top initiation

LordSpud

The Ultimate Top Red demonstration would be to stop supporting the club because of oil owners whilst trying to make fellow fans feel guilty for supporting the club.

Unfortunately thats where I can end up seeing RedCafe going. Even in this thread its quite toxic and you can imagine every thread being derailed by the "ones who have stopped supporting".

I can only hope those who do follow through with the whole stopping the support or changing the club, if they insist on staying on here, take it to the Football or General forums.

Scottynaldinho

I will delete my caf account while stop watching any kind of football if you become a part of a sprotswashing project.

crossy1686

career ending
Already pretty disillusioned with football and i think this would be gg for me with United. Maybe I'll take up running or something instead.
Probably for most of us, at least until it becomes majority owned by middle eastern investors anyway. Honestly I'd rather be able to casually watch United instead of being annoyed every week anyway.

the_cliff

It won't matter and won't do anything. The fact of the matter is we are small stakeholders in the grand scheme of things. If MUFC lose 1 million fans because of the takeover they replace us with 10 million more worldwide and 50 million worldwide if they sign an Mbappe. May not be fair but that's what will happen.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
If an Arab oil dictatorship buys Manchester United I will be pretty disgusted. But I will probabaly still watch for a while. I certainly won't give them a penny but then I don't now.

Hammondo

I'd have to stop supporting united, which would probably see me giving up football.

I think only plastic fans will stay.

crossy1686

career ending
Lads, the best thing you can do, instead of throwing a paddy and threatening to delete your Caf accounts/destroy your TV if the football is ever shown again, is just hold them fecking accountable by forcing them to fund the women's team effectively, force them to employ certain minorities and openly homosexual staff, and donate within certain communities that go against certain Middle Eastern cultures. Just leaving, instead of continuing to be a stakeholder, makes life a whole lot easier for them.

Skills

Snitch
I'm actually quite excited about this great fanbase purge.

I've always thought that we have a lot of fans, but essentially a lot of very low quality fans. This will be the true cultural reset the club needs.

ROFLUTION

I'd probably support a lower league team. Maybe my old favored club Deportivo la Coruna who floats around in a depressing state in 3rd tier spanish football. Rather a real club with struggles than a hollow one.

It'll definitely feel weird as my whole family are United-fans. I don't think I'm the only one in my family who will cut United out if a sale to an oil-state happens.

I don't believe in seeing it through and how an arab-ownership goes, because that'll eventually probably convince me to just go along with being a United-fan again eventually.

I do hope that mass riots erupt if this ownership is taking place however. United is a club for the fans, yet many of us has had NO SAY about criteria of owners in this sale whatsoever. Really shows what bloodsucking cancerous vermin the Glazers are.

oneway

I'd have to stop supporting united, which would probably see me giving up football.

Just do it and leave the rest of us alone, if you feel that way change your team or the sport. People going on and on "i am done with Utd" if the sale happens then move on no one is forced to watch Utd. I have supported Utd since the second division and will continue to do so regardless. Utd for life and i no have beef with the opposing views. City are doing fantastically well with Dubai ownership because it is run very well and has aspiration to win titles, we are struggling to get into the Champions league.

Kaos

Absolute nonsense. A small number would call it quits but to make the generalisation that the only ones left behind would be a bunch of Fairweather plastics is ridiculously reductionist.

Fan loyalty first and foremost is to the club, never the owners.

You can despise the ownership and yet continue to support the club. Otherwise we wouldn't even have any fans if your logic applies to the universally despised glazers.

Status
Not open for further replies.