Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partridge

I can’t believe I’m actually saying this but as an employee of Glazer’s his reward makes sense.

He facilitated the club purchase in an extraordinarily beneficial way for the Glazer’s, and while he was Chief Executive he did marvellously commercially again in a way to financially bolster the Glazer’s pockets without requiring them to invest any of their own money.

Woodward was horrible at anything tangibly football related. Running a club, negotiating contracts or transfers etc etc. But as a purely financial officer the guy is a savant.

The guy won’t be anywhere near a chief exec of another football team. But you can bet your bottom dollar a lot of people who look at his stewardship from purchase to sale and will throw millions at him for employment or consultation.

I obviously dislike the bloke, but can absolutely see why the Glazer’s would love him.
[/QUOTE]
You know, after I made that remark, I thought about exactly what you have said here. I remembered his mental sponsor surge, and everything else. But then I think, he has an incredibly puncable face, his "we can do things in the transfer market" statement, which was Feckin retarded, and additionally, that picture of him pointing, in the stands, at old Trafford. Small things, sure, but added up together, it's enough to make a man feckin furious. I almost despise him.

AneRu

Is it possible to see if he still owns them? Because you have to wonder why he hasn’t sold them now the shares are at a premium and will crash if Ineos buy the club or the Glazers stay.
He is the third person after Joel and Avram that believes wholeheartedly in Brand United. He, above anyone else due to being trusted by Malcom, Joel and Avram, will have the inside track of what's happening. I think he was the one banker who identified United's potential for the Glazers, drew up the financial playbook and joined the raiding party.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm hoping this is being timed from a "now it can be told" perspective rather than a "lets exploit all the anger at the glazers staying" angle.

It's a little early for the usual xmas book selling wave so maybe significant.
Thats why I thought it was weird timing -- in isolation -- that the initial article I posted yesterday. The same Times' writer who posted that news yesterday will be his ghostwriter too.

But I think its more about the Glazers selling out and how that whole journey started. If they were staying I doubt it would sell much -- you won't have a big segment of potential buyers who will want to buy a book to further enrage yourself. Most people prefer reading or watching something with a happy ending.

Last edited:

Pes6Monster

[/QUOTE]I've been trying to work out what the feck you meant by this.
What certainties are there in any sale or non-sale scenario for United?
[/QUOTE]

That is actually my point.

A full sale to Qatar absolutely suits the Glazers and associated cronies.

United will get an owner currently failing in meaningful competition through their psg franchise. Or worse in Ratcliffe.

Certainty for the Glazers and uncertainty for us.

What’s this crap! ! Any form of sale that gets rid of the Glazers will reward them handsomely, whoever buys the club either In a majority or full sale.
My concern is where United go next.

The Glazers will do what suits The Glazers, not United. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate in selling to either Qatar or Ineos.

Neither party has evinced any particular nous in running a major football team, though the latter's mammoth financial advantages have bought domestic titles in France, this advantage will not exist in the EPL or the CL.

A full sale at the moment means we become a state sponsored sport washing exercise.

We should be critical of all those who want to become custodians of Manchester United. Not welcoming them because we think they might give us a better chance of winning some trophies.
Absolutely right, but we are already there in some respects. Remember, Russian and Saudi state investment has already been pumped in. Ditto Dubai. A few others historically.

I challenge supporters concerned with the abuse of human rights to not cancel their support but display their disgust around the stadium.

A few 'democracy for Qatar' banners would not go amiss.

So what’s the point ? Isn’t football all about winning trophies or do you want to be just competing for the morals cup every year?
Luckily for MancunianAngel, your quite legitimate question is not an either/or scenario.

United won a trophy last season and remained fairly competitive in previous years. There has been enough invested into the squad, albeit mismanaged, to compete.

Mismanagement is the key problem and there is no guarantee Qatar's money will solve the problem. In fact, the psg evidence suggest more misery.

Hope I'm wrong.

I'd like us to remain some element of morality yes.
Why is that now considered a bad thing?
Won't beat Liverpool every time we play them.
why not?

forget it, chief, it’s not worth it, apparently.

that will need Covid and subsequent lockdowns to return. police will do rioting fans no end, a few jail sentences. with respect to us, we have supporters willing to twerk for dictatorships. any major disruption is a pipe-dream.

be honest man. United fan all my life but most United supporters follow us because they think we will win every week and rule all and sundry like a King. when it doesn’t happen we are as bad as the scouse.

this is why Qatar appeal to so many supporters because it entitles their sense of entitlement. ‘morals cup’ they cry. their idea of morality is United doing whatever we want and if you disagree you are an enemy.

MUFC The Religion.

tread careful chief
Bang on.

Member 101269

Thats why I thought it was weird timing -- in isolation -- that the initial article I posted yesterday. The same Times' writer who posted that news yesterday will be his ghostwriter too.

But I think its more about the Glazers selling out and how that whole journey started. If they were staying I doubt it would sell much -- you won't have a big segment of potential buyers who will want to buy a book to further enrage yourself. Most people prefer reading or watching something with a happy ending.
Or in the absense of news it might sell better with fans seeking insights.

clarkydaz

Woodward has been their right hand man throughout, i dont see how he would incite them with a tell all if they were staying on

Brophs

The One and Only
Edward Woodwardwardward’s book will be a load of self-serving shite. Don’t fall for it.

sglowrider

Woodward has been their right hand man throughout, i dont see how he would incite them with a tell all if they were staying on
That's why I think it's a tell-all with them leaving in mind. I doubt he would do or say anything to jeopardise his share value.

Tarrou

the only way he'd sell even any copies is if it's a tell-all

who would be his target otherwise? he was a massive failure and all United fans hate him

Plastic Evra

the only way he'd sell even any copies is if it's a tell-all

who would be his target otherwise? he was a massive failure and all United fans hate him
300 pages of a ghost writer explaining that every Woodward sanctioned transfer was great, actually.

Spoony

The People's President
That's why I think it's a tell-all with them leaving in mind. I doubt he would do or say anything to jeopardise his share value.
He found out a few weeks ago that Glazers were off and decided to tell all in a book. Or something?

That sound plausible.

IRN-BRUno

It's not Woodward's book is it? That tweet makes it sound like he's just contributed to someone else's, it's probably just a couple of quotes.

sglowrider

He found out a few weeks ago that Glazers were off and decided to tell all in a book. Or something?

That sound plausible.
Makes more sense. It's the timing to me.

If they were staying he wouldn't do it in case it screws up the share value.
It has to have some story worth telling -- won't be some procedural story like a dummies book for club takeover

cyberman

I'm hoping this is being timed from a "now it can be told" perspective rather than a "lets exploit all the anger at the glazers staying" angle.

It's a little early for the usual xmas book selling wave so maybe significant.
Yeah, I’m sure NDAs were signed but if Glazers sell United do we know if they are still applicable?

Last edited:

AneRu

Or like all other Class A shareholders he is being denied a windfall by the Glazers obstinance that he feels a tell-all book will make their position untenable with the fans and push them over the edge? Long shot!

sglowrider

Or like all other Class A shareholders he is being denied a windfall by the Glazers obstinance that he feels a tell-all book will make their position untenable with the fans and push them over the edge? Long shot!
Leverage? He also claimed that he only agreed to the super League so that he can have leverage with uefa for negotiation.

AneRu

Leverage? He also claimed that he only agreed to the super League so that he can have leverage with uefa for negotiation.
Don't know, the Glazers don't seem like they feel any fan pressure especially having completed the Adidas deal. Also Woodward is an insider, he is Malcom Glazer's ceremonial 7th kid, it wouldn't shock me to find out he is quarterbacking this strategic review. They have always relied on and trusted him.

Plastic Evra

It's not Woodward's book is it? That tweet makes it sound like he's just contributed to someone else's, it's probably just a couple of quotes.
It's gonna be a lot of reheated apologetics sprinkled with a few ITK nuggets. Edit : Ed's quotes, I mean.

NWRed

That is actually my point.

A full sale to Qatar absolutely suits the Glazers and associated cronies.

United will get an owner currently failing in meaningful competition through their psg franchise. Or worse in Ratcliffe.

Certainty for the Glazers and uncertainty for us.
Your point was specifically about a full sale (to Qatar), you said

'Full sale only' equals massive reward for Glazers and proven uncertainty for United.
but a partial sale (to Ratcliffe) equals greater reward for the Glazers and at least equal uncertainty, so what the feck were you on about?

48 hours

from the BBC article, which is an interview with the Cardiff chairman

Dalman says Cardiff's Malaysian owner remains committed to the club but the chairman remains open to the idea of additional investment.

"I've been meeting a lot with US private equity funds and the valuation of football clubs is going through the roof. Americans are determined to come into this market quite heavily," said Dalman.

"I spoke to the owners of Leeds when we were there, and Championship clubs are valued at three times their revenue, give or take.

"Manchester United are going to announce their sale at £7.2bn-7.3bn, which is roughly 10 times their revenue.

cyberman

Not showing but apparently this man helped the Glazers buy United.
And feck him

jadaba

Quite intriguing. A 2003 Guardian article suggests he "personally brokered" the first shares bought up by Glazer. Also according to another ancient Guardian article, he used to be a season ticket holder at OId Trafford, at least 19 years ago.

Am I clutching at straws? Yes. But this doesn't seem to only be a case of some random football club owner speculating, he may very well still have links of interest. Whether those past links are frankly no longer relevant or reliable is the question I guess.

bstb3

£7.2bn? Thats nonsense surely. Nothing we know about the bids so far are anything like that much. It sounds more like speculation and possibly what his Glazer buds have told him they want. If they are genuinely expecting and holding out for that price we'll be here a while yet. Even Boehly would blush.

laughtersassassin

£7.2bn? Thats nonsense surely. Nothing we know about the bids so far are anything like that much. It sounds more like speculation and possibly what his Glazer buds have told him they want. If they are genuinely expecting and holding out for that price we'll be here a while yet. Even Boehly would blush.
Probably dollars. Currency's always get mixed up when people quote figures

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Sounds like speculation to me, but it could be something in it considering the news about him helping them by the club originally at some point this saga has to end and hopefully it will be soon.

croadyman

Sounds like speculation to me, but it could be something in it considering the news about him helping them by the club originally at some point this saga has to end and hopefully it will be soon.
Yeah but does that mean Ratcliffe over Jassim

Status
Not open for further replies.