Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
The only thing you keep pointing out is that you're anti Qatar. And again you seem to know what everyone is thinking and doing and you say it's futile. Doing nothing is far worse than trying to do something we all want but oh yes, I remember now you know they all want Qatar so have no morals according to you!
You don't know shit mate.

I wonder if you'll do as much to see that Qatar don't take over as much as these fans are doing TO GET RID OF THE GLAZERS. I bet you haven't and won't do anything at all. Also as someone else mentioned I hope you'll delete your account on here and stop supporting utd when Qatar do take over. But I'm guessing you won't do anything then either!
Nah. Doing nothing is the best kind of doing in almost any situation

TsuWave

Looking at the replies to this, it looks like the Qatar takeover is being backed by some of the worst people in United's "support".

Solidarity with our LGBTQ fans.
it’s the internet, plus twitter now pays ad-revenue to verified accounts so antagonising/baiting people is a legitimate way to get paid on Twitter. This thread would probably be better off without this kind of point-scoring as it doesn’t actually pertain to anything substantial to do with the supposed takeover.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Nah. Doing nothing is the best kind of doing in almost any situation
I'm not sure doing nothing is the solution is here tbf.

My issue is the people who did nothing for 17/18 years, who (in some cases) actively mocked people for protesting/boycotting, now chastise people for being concerned about Qatar.

A once proud support practically begging for Manchester United to become a state sponsored sport washing project. The Glazer's lasting legacy.

Screaming "Glazers Out" at all costs will prove to be something that people will regret in a few years.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I'm not sure doing nothing is the solution is here tbf.

My issue is the people who did nothing for 17/18 years, who (in some cases) actively mocked people for protesting/boycotting, now chastise people for being concerned about Qatar.

A once proud support practically begging for Manchester United to become a state sponsored sport washing project. The Glazer's lasting legacy.

Screaming "Glazers Out" at all costs will prove to be something that people will regret in a few years.
You know, I envy you. I don't know you, so pardon if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that you think each person can make a difference. You probably get into heated discussions about the state of the world/our club, not only because you like it, but also because you believe one person can change the world. If Qatar buys us there is nothing we can do individually to change it. If the Glazers stay on, it's not our fault. We're just ticking numbers, absolutely nothing to the club. We care, yes. But "the club" doesn't. It cares about share prices and full stadiums. There is nothing we discuss on here that could change the outcome, whatever it'll be. So, I recommend doing nothing. It's the most sensible thing to do because that is precisely what change I could make in the world. I am not important. In my own world, in my perception of the world, I'm god. But that's the sum of my influence in the grand scheme of things. So, I cherish my energy, and use it in my own little delusional world.

Pes6Monster

Absolutely correct.

The Glazers are laughing at us and I do not blame them.

I do not propose 'doing nothing', and never have, rather we protest not just the Glazers, but the Qatari State Bid and Ratcliffe in equal measure.

Saturday's protest is just 'get rid of the glazers' but nowhere near enough, really, and exposes how fickle its attendants are. May have looked good on MOTD for the ten seconds it was on, though.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I really struggle to understand the plan. Why are they keeping Man Utd when they apparantly have now plan to develop the club? It is inevitable that they will have to sell at one point at this rate. Are they trying to ruin both club and value first? Dont make much sense.

Yorke to Cole

The latest I read was that Raine are working behind the scenes to find an agreement. That was from Romano.

Pes6Monster

I really struggle to understand the plan. Why are they keeping Man Utd when they apparantly have now plan to develop the club? It is inevitable that they will have to sell at one point at this rate. Are they trying to ruin both club and value first? Dont make much sense.
They have attempted a redevelopment of sorts at OT, with safe standing and better disabled access. EtH has got his player's lounge, also, after LvG and Jose were denied. They've also invested seven mill (of United's money) into the training complex.

The Glazers are waiting for Qatar to up their bid. They know they're good for it. Ratcliffe may bid more, but equally greedy shareholders want Qatar's money, so it's unlikely.

I reckon it'll be sorted soon. Qatar cannot be seen to lose and will increase their bid accordingly.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The only thing you keep pointing out is that you're anti Qatar. And again you seem to know what everyone is thinking and doing and you say it's futile. Doing nothing is far worse than trying to do something we all want but oh yes, I remember now you know they all want Qatar so have no morals according to you!
Being anti Qatar is a very reasonable position. In fact being pro Qatar is pretty unethical.

However they are the least worst option and football is totally corrupt anyway so fek it. Bring them on I say.

Andy_Cole

Being anti Qatar is a very reasonable position. In fact being pro Qatar is pretty unethical.

However they are the least worst option and football is totally corrupt anyway so fek it. Bring them on I say.
First time I’ve agreed with you. Everyone who wants us, currently owns us is a bastard. Let’s just get the bastard in who we can benefit from the most.

Last edited:

Pes6Monster

First time I’ve agreed with you. Everyone who wants us, currently owns us is a bastard. Let’s just get the basses in who we can benefit from the most.
A most interesting way of putting it. Unfortunately, football will only continue getting corrupt unless we do something serious to stop it. The sport does not have to be corrupt.

Still an interesting way of putting it. Fair play.

Qatari owned PSG have run multiple LGBTQ+ campaigns.

There’s no reason to believe the owners of United would be anti that stance so please show basic intelligence.
This is how sportswashing works.

Qatari owned psg will run multiple LGBTQ+ campaigns for two major reasons:

A) To bracket the LGBTQ+ cause as being somehow 'Western', and, by extension, make its opposite appear acceptable.

B) It's good for business.

It isn't good enough that Qatari owned psg run multiple LGBTQ+ campaigns, it needs to be Qatari owned Qatar that does so.

Anyone with basic intelligence knows this.

It's truly sickening our club is going to be used for such a devious, underhand tactic and have thousands of essentially bought-off supporters spouting the party line.

Zora

I just don’t feel anything for the club anymore. I don’t relate to it.

We’re a mess from top to bottom. We don’t behave like a giant of a club. We behave like a lower midtable Premier League club.

Brighton, Villa and the obvious ones like City are all ran far better than we have been for a long time now.

I honestly couldn’t care less if we lost our next 5 matches. I just don’t see the point. So what if we have a run in the CL? We aren’t getting near the final.

The league will be about scraping 4th again. We have no style of play. Our owners couldn’t care less about trophies. Our stadium is in a mess. Our football sucks.

I just don’t even care anymore. The Glazers are staying from the looks of things and I was so optimistic a few months ago.

Strapman

I just don’t feel anything for the club anymore. I don’t relate to it.

We’re a mess from top to bottom. We don’t behave like a giant of a club. We behave like a lower midtable Premier League club.

Brighton, Villa and the obvious ones like City are all ran far better than we have been for a long time now.

I honestly couldn’t care less if we lost our next 5 matches. I just don’t see the point. So what if we have a run in the CL? We aren’t getting near the final.

The league will be about scraping 4th again. We have no style of play. Our owners couldn’t care less about trophies. Our stadium is in a mess. Our football sucks.

I just don’t even care anymore. The Glazers are staying from the looks of things and I was so optimistic a few months ago.
Ten Hag is not in the tier 1 of managers of Klopp and Guardiola. He won’t last under Qatari Ownership, as they won’t tolerate getting smashed by six and seven’s at places like Anfield and UAE Etihad. In terms of the signings and style of play, only Ten Hag can take the blame.

No-one forced him to spend the 200M he got last year and this year on Dutch Players, Ajax Players and players he worked with before and is familiar with. That’s his own mental health problem. We know how much power he has at the club, if he told Joel Glazer to hire a Sporting Director, I’m pretty sure they would.

A lot of Man Utd Fans need to start accepting that Ten Hag will be similar to Van Gaal, think of him as a stabiliser sort of manager after the Ole/Rangnick mess, similar to LVG after the Moyes Mess. He won’t take us any better than that. Every ownership group brings their own manager in. Ten Hag will be no different.

Glazers are going my friend, they can’t afford to stay. Only States can afford to buy Man Utd, UAE and Saudi Arabia are gone. Only Qatar is the final one left without a PL Club, Glazers will be aware of this, they won’t have a exit route if they stay. Qatar will buy another club, most likely Tottenham. Glazers won’t ever get £5 Billion again

Yorke to Cole

The 72 stages of United sale. Not sure what we’re on now: “apathy”?
What about the quote on 16th June from the BBC Economist Faisal Islam stating Jassim has "gone 3-2 up in the 89th minute."

If that is the case, how many minutes of stoppage time are being played?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
What about the quote on 16th June from the BBC Economist Faisal Islam stating Jassim has "gone 3-2 up in the 89th minute."

If that is the case, how many minutes of stoppage time are being played?
Looks like the new FIFA regulations have come into play :lol: 20 mins added time

spwd

I never said it wasn't and I agree with the rest of your post.
It's the cnuts fault for putting a ridiculous price on the club that only 2 bidders in the world are willing to even consider.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We seem to have reached an impasse within the two groups Glazer family. I suppose it will be a question of who gives in first because in the end someone will have to. It would be very helpful if one of the bidders pulled out. Protest against Ratcliffe at this point might be effective. He is the one holding things up with his bullshit voodoo economics bid feeding the greed of J&A Glazer.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
A most interesting way of putting it. Unfortunately, football will only continue getting corrupt unless we do something serious to stop it. The sport does not have to be corrupt.

A) To bracket the LGBTQ+ cause as being somehow 'Western', and, by extension, make its opposite appear acceptable.

It isn't good enough that Qatari owned psg run multiple LGBTQ+ campaigns, it needs to be Qatari owned Qatar that does so.

It's truly sickening our club is going to be used for such a devious, underhand tactic and have thousands of essentially bought-off supporters spouting the party line.
Since when does the politics of a football club directly correlate with that of a country? Are Manchester United now a conservative club as the club is based in the UK?

Should PSG stop all pro LGBT+ activities because it’s not the same in Qatar? No of course not it’s utterly ridiculous.

The point is the club is a focus for QSI , France and European football, showing support to LGBT+ groups is always a positive whether it’s sports washing or not, it’s not like they do all this then snugger behind everyone’s backs “but not really”.

What would be the point of that?

It’s like saying MAKE SURE YOU RECYLE then someone goes and recycles and then you say “hehe I mix my recycling at home” I mean ok , great but your still making others recycle and that in itself is good.

massey

The point is the club is a focus for QSI , France and European football, showing support to LGBT+ groups is always a positive whether it’s sports washing or not, it’s not like they do all this then snugger behind everyone’s backs “but not really”.

The point of that is to just look good and you can say snigger behind everyone's backs but thats all it is as in reality Qatar sports is a subsidiary of the Qatari government sovereign fund a government and state that criminalises gay people with imprisonment it would be like a government that imprisons people for being Asian and then buying a sports team in China or anywhere and promoting Asian culture whilst sportswashing.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Definitely that Harry guy's second account with a slightly different agenda.

Dazzmondo

If the actual results are positive who cares about the motives? The Women's team who have been massively under-invested in would receive far more investment because Qatar would have a motivation to make that investment, something the Glazers and probably Ratcliffe would not. I'm sure LGBTQ+ would be supported no matter who takes over.

Pes6Monster

Since when does the politics of a football club directly correlate with that of a country? Are Manchester United now a conservative club as the club is based in the UK?
This is just silly. The UK (which has devolved governments for its constituent members) is not a 'conservative' country - it is a democracy. In a democracy, one can feel free to remove or even publicly denounce a government. Freedoms completely lost in dictatorships like Qatar.

Should PSG stop all pro LGBT+ activities because it’s not the same in Qatar? No of course not it’s utterly ridiculous.
By 'it's not the same' you actually mean it is the polar opposite - homophobia is law.

PSG should be demanding an end to homophobia everywhere and yes, that includes Qatar, but they are obviously set up to promulgate the false equivalence you alluded to.

The 'not really' is what Qatar actually believe, and are using your applause for. 'Both sides of the argument' are in effect when you support it.

This is why it is wrong. Homophobia is not to be tolerated in any context. You should not face any negative political pressure because of your sexuality.

Same with city's 'Rainbow Laces' routine. Such an outburst in the UAE will land you significant jail time.

It’s like saying MAKE SURE YOU RECYLE then someone goes and recycles and then you say “hehe I mix my recycling at home” I mean ok , great but your still making others recycle and that in itself is good.
It's nothing at all like this.

The point of that is to just look good and you can say snigger behind everyone's backs but thats all it is as in reality Qatar sports is a subsidiary of the Qatari government sovereign fund a government and state that criminalises gay people with imprisonment it would be like a government that imprisons people for being Asian and then buying a sports team in China or anywhere and promoting Asian culture whilst sportswashing.
Yep.

Buying consent whilst simultaneously attempting to shut down dissent as itself being 'homophobic'.
Utterly vile, but it works on the weak-minded.

If the actual results are positive who cares about the motives? The Women's team who have been massively under-invested in would receive far more investment because Qatar would have a motivation to make that investment, something the Glazers and probably Ratcliffe would not. I'm sure LGBTQ+ would be supported no matter who takes over.
The 'actual results' are the status quo:

Qatar continue their repression of homosexuality with punitive measures (the death penalty is in play here) whereas the UK continue law they have anyway.

Qatar will be able to embolden and galvanise their repressive political structure, only now with your tacit consent.

We do not need Qatar to promote such causes to us, here in the UK, where homosexuals already have universal suffrage and full representation in law.

We need Qatar to change their own laws, mores and ethics.

Dazzmondo

The 'actual results' are the status quo:

Qatar continue their repression of homosexuality with punitive measures (the death penalty is in play here) whereas the UK continue law they have anyway.

Qatar will be able to embolden and galvanise their repressive political structure, only now with your tacit consent.

We do not need Qatar to promote such causes to us, here in the UK, where homosexuals already have universal suffrage and full representation in law.

We need Qatar to change their own laws, mores and ethics.
And you think Qatar's suddenly going to change these laws when they have no motivation to? At least by integrating more with the west it creates pressures to change these sort of laws over time. They'll be looking to continue increasing tourism in particular, and removing these laws against homosexuality will in the long-term probably increase the profits from tourism. Doesn't mean laws will suddenly change tomorrow, but there's a decent chance things will start to change within 10 or so years, even if it's simply less strict laws against homosexuality at first.

Isolating countries does nothing to improve the rights of the people within those countries, if anything it makes it worse because they have no reason to change. Even if the motivations are good, in general the only thing these stances do is make the person arguing them feel good about what they're representing. Continuing to apply pressure to change these sort of laws is good, but it is more likely to be successful with an understanding of why these states might actually change.

As an example, the UAE which has become probably the biggest tourist hotspot in the Middle East, hasn't imprisoned anyone for homosexuality since 2015, despite it still being technically illegal. You'd hope that it eventually completely decriminalises it, but even if Qatar was to reach a similar level of not enforcing the law against homosexuality within a few years, that would be some progress. Before the UAE began attracting tourism and had to worry about PR, the laws were enforced very strictly. Isolating them did nothing to help the people actually living within the country.

philippexyz

Why just the Glazers don't announce that they're staying or something? It's almost been a year since the "search for a strategic solution" and there have been basically no news for months. Even journalists are tired of this saga and have basically gave up.
Lack of knowledge about what is happening with the club's ownership for this long is really irritating.

I expect the status quo - Glazers staying for now because all 6 of them can't find an agreement and they may never will. But there's still a small itch that something positive might happen(Qatari full takeover) and that's infuriating.

It's the hope that kills you.

Pes6Monster

And you think Qatar's suddenly going to change these laws when they have no motivation to? At least by integrating more with the west it creates pressures to change these sort of laws over time.

As an example, the UAE which has become probably the biggest tourist hotspot in the Middle East, hasn't imprisoned anyone for homosexuality since 2015, despite it still being technically illegal.
The first salvo is a common position with sportswashing proponents. I'm not referring to answering your own rhetorical question, either, though it too is a good one. I mean the 'Western co-operation' angle.

Qatar is a dictatorship. It can absolutely decide to change its laws at any stage it wants to. However, it chooses to invest in sportswashing so it does not have to.

It's also prudent for them to make inferences regarding the 'West' as when it doesn't happen, a plethora of 'yeah, but the West' arguments emerge.

As though it's a 'colonial mindset' that people should not be openly persecuted because of their sexuality and if only 'the West' would drop this 'arrogance', Qatar might just stop.

It sounds crazy but I live in Stockport and work amongst city folk. Believe you me, it happens.

Furthermore, homosexuality being illegal in the UAE is your point of departure.

The law is there. It can be utilised at any given stage. Homosexuals know they can be removed at any given stage, for any 'offence' and possibly imprisoned without legal aid. Therefore they tow the line. Same with any journalists daring to criticise the 'beloved' government.

There's no reason the UAE do not just decriminalise homosexuality, either.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Qatari owned PSG have run multiple LGBTQ+ campaigns.

There’s no reason to believe the owners of United would be anti that stance so please show basic intelligence.

https://x.com/psg_english/status/1525529557545140225?s=46&t=BENxQbNwlN1pIMGY-MJfyQ
Aljazeera + also does that stuff, but everyone knows the owners would never do that in their own country. But even then, Qatar is not the worst country in that region in regards to gay rights. Saudi, Iran, Libya are all worse.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I find it hard to believe United only has two potential bidders and not more. It's crazy.

jadaba

The first salvo is a common position with sportswashing proponents. I'm not referring to answering your own rhetorical question, either, though it too is a good one. I mean the 'Western co-operation' angle.

Qatar is a dictatorship. It can absolutely decide to change its laws at any stage it wants to. However, it chooses to invest in sportswashing so it does not have to.

It's also prudent for them to make inferences regarding the 'West' as when it doesn't happen, a plethora of 'yeah, but the West' arguments emerge.

As though it's a 'colonial mindset' that people should not be openly persecuted because of their sexuality and if only 'the West' would drop this 'arrogance', Qatar might just stop.

It sounds crazy but I live in Stockport and work amongst city folk. Believe you me, it happens.

Furthermore, homosexuality being illegal in the UAE is your point of departure.

The law is there. It can be utilised at any given stage. Homosexuals know they can be removed at any given stage, for any 'offence' and possibly imprisoned without legal aid. Therefore they tow the line. Same with any journalists daring to criticise the 'beloved' government.

There's no reason the UAE do not just decriminalise homosexuality, either.
Saying there's 'no reason' for either of these countries to decriminalise homosexuality is quite a dismissal of a complex reality. They may be absolute monarchies but they are absolutely not immune from internal power struggles, two of the past three accessions to the Qatari throne have come through coups (within the family), so if the Emir were to simply bow to external pressure to enact such a major change of law without some form of internal / national consent, you can imagine it would serve as fuel for potential plotting enemies.

As tragic as it is, targeting the LGBTQ+ community is an easy leadership popularity boost in some Arab dictatorships. The younger generations are gradually becoming more supportive of LGBTQ+ rights, but it's going to be an incredibly long journey before this becomes the mainstream view across the countries.

Qatar, the UAE, and others in the region, are obviously pushing for and excited by a greater global role. But there will naturally be powerful elements of the old guard including religious authorities that are anxious about some of this engagement, including their exposure to what they would perceive as 'Western concepts of homosexuality' etc. They unfortunately cannot simply be dismissed or made to disappear despite the Emir's absolute rule, not as long as they continue to whole sway and such perceptions remain commonplace among the populations.

Change and progress can happen, Qatar may one day allow gay marriage, but it will take decades and it's unreasonable to expect its criminalisation to be snapped away overnight. I agree with you that the UAE allowing the criminalisation of homosexuality to continue despite no imprisonments remains hugely chilling for any LGBTQ+ person, but @Dazzmondo makes an important overall point about it: look at Singapore - a conservative state where homosexuality was criminalised for decades, as the country opened up economically and engaged with the West, it began to loosen and quietly drop its enforcement of anti-gay laws to pave the way for its gradual and organic acceptance. Last year, it finally decriminalised homosexuality.

This sort of cultural acceptance change is not insignificant for such societies, this change will take years to form fully and it's possible that its first movements have already begun.

seasidedaz

I feel exactly the same they don’t seem to care and some supporters arenow doing the same. I have followed this club for 53 years through the thick of it. Relegation the Doc bringing us back on line won’t mention much about his sacking. The late 70s and the cup years from Ron Atkinson then the unbelievable Fergie years which really spoilt us united fans ,to which the bar was raised And now we are at watch this space we can do other things other clubs can’t Loans Now all that work has been undone which is unacceptable

putzmcgee123

I find it hard to believe United only has two potential bidders and not more. It's crazy.
This is a point I feel gets overlooked. Purely speculating, the two ideas that come to my mind are:

1. The Qatari bid scared off a lot of competition, and people "in the know" believed the Qatari bid would simply counter bid slightly higher than whomever is "leading" until they win.
  2. There was a sense the Glazers were unwilling to part with control of the club unless an unrealistic "feck you" valuation was met and serious interest was deterred.

Yorke to Cole

This is a point I feel gets overlooked. Purely speculating, the two ideas that come to my mind are:

1. The Qatari bid scared off a lot of competition, and people "in the know" believed the Qatari bid would simply counter bid slightly higher than whomever is "leading" until they win.
  2. There was a sense the Glazers were unwilling to part with control of the club unless an unrealistic "feck you" valuation was met and serious interest was deterred.
So how will this develop or what do you think may occur during the autumn months?

putzmcgee123

So how will this develop or what do you think may occur during the autumn months?
I am thinking (hoping?) the Qatari group are close to wrapping it up and we will get an announcement in September, with the transaction closing later in 2023. That is solely based on my attempt at reading between the lines and speculating.

Plastic Evra

I mean you're buying a club with massive debt and possibly massive investments in infrastructure coming soon to be made. They also maxed out the revenue but it's really like if they left a massive stool in the loo they didn't flush, smiled about it on the way out and you'll have to pay them for the privilege.

Also as someone said Qatar bid probably dissuaded a lot of other bidders. You expect that if 92F is serious you'll never beat them in an auction.

Yorke to Cole

Does this expenditure point to any direction in which a possible takeover may occur or not?

The Muppetier says it is a Glazer window and points to them scummers staying as it does not take from next years budget, by using the credit line.

The negativity around this club is horrendous.

Last edited:

Yorke to Cole

I am thinking (hoping?) the Qatari group are close to wrapping it up and we will get an announcement in September, with the transaction closing later in 2023. That is solely based on my attempt at reading between the lines and speculating.
Yes. I hope you are right. I am sick of how this club is being run. Please just leave.

lostcauz

Does this expenditure point to any direction in which a possible takeover may occur or not?

The Muppetier says it is a Glazer window and points to them scummers staying.
We knew coming into this window that we had £100-150m to spend and the club kept briefing about difficulties complying with FFP beyond those figures.

The glazers don’t want to overspend because they’re the glazers plus the club don’t have the money or the assets to boost our window any further.
Not only that, the Glazers will only get their money after debt has been paid or factored into the purchase price so it’s understandable they don’t want to increase debt.

The other side to it is any potential owner doesn’t want to be crippled by FFP in future windows by having a overspend on players this window.

Basically the bare minimum is being done and you wouldn’t get any more until the club was fully in another owners hands.

Artimities

Glazers are going to sell. Its a Glazer summer and they have been tight as a frogs ass. Honestly if ETH gets top 4 with this team then he is a miracle worker. This squad is built to flounder and reach nothing but middle tier. No way this squad gets Champions League football this coming season. Glazers are taking money and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.