g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

Even if you're going to an auction to buy a sideboard if you're really interested in bidding for a particular sideboard you don't fanny around the auction room with other potential bidders telling everyone how great that sideboard is and you're determined to buy it. Because you'd be a fecking idiot if you did that. Unless you knew the guy selling the sideboard and was working with him to drive up the price. And that's just a sideboard

That's essentially what Jim is doing with a £6bn asset and I think it's naive to think there isn't something else going on here that isn't entirely on the level
I mean most of the bidders for Chelsea went public. It's not that odd.

Sviken

The clubs a joke but the name carries weight. Right.
What's so difficult to understand about that? We're a bit of a joke at the moment. That doesn't suddenly erase the legacy and history the name itself carries.

stw2022

Maybe once bids were formally made. He hasn't even bid. That's not the story. It's "interested" as it was a few months ago.

Big Jim has announced he's interested in bidding....again. He's a Glazer backed stalking horse. Tease out the bidders by making them think there's now pressure to press ahead now there's confirmed other "interest"

Bid or don't. The club is for sale why the feck are you telling journalists you're "interested in bidding"? Do it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He absolutely is, let's not kid ourselves. Ask yourself this - would Klopp be able to achieve the same thing Guardiola has at City? I'd argue with 90% chance that yes, he would. Would Guardiola have managed to achieve the same thing Klopp has done with Liverpool? That would be a resounding "NO" imo. Guardiola has never been tested at any club he's been. He's always taken club who financially dwarf the competition. Closest thing to a challenge would be his first season at Barca, but even then - Barca and Real are pretty clear cut above the rest of La Liga. As far as Liverpool's squad, I'll disagree on this as well. The squad is aging, their midfield and defense are at the moment complete trash and even Salah is really not performing that well. Sure, he had dips with Dortmund in his last season as well, but what do Liverpool and Dortmund have in common? They haven't invested shit in a rebuild. Liverpool, for almost the entirety of Klopp's tenure, have been working on a net profit. That's not how you compete with a club that can buy a 100 million player in City and then promptly bench him. He's not SAF, but he is the closest thing to SAF in modern football given what he has done with the clubs he has taken that have no business in competing for trophies. In contrast, Guardiola has never went through these deep waters. He's bailed every time things have started to turn south for him. At both Barcelona and Bayern he left when he needed to spice up things and at City so far he hasn't, but he has unlimited budget there anyway. He really doesn't require any rebuilds.

Man City before Pep were a "newborn" club, so to speak. They were still struggling to become a 'big' club and enticing overpriced players with ridiculous wages and transfer fees. And said City also had to compete with Mourinho and SAF, who although heavily gimped by spending, was still SAF. Guardiola's only challenge, I'm sorry to say, has been Klopp who has vastly inferior resources to him.

You're talking how much we've spend, but again you're forgetting that all of this has come at a huge cost in other areas of the club. We're lagging behind almost every other top club, hell even clubs like fecking Spurs are dwarfing us when it comes to proper football structure. A lot of this has to do with money. We haven't won the league in 10 years now, how have we been able to compete? As a matter of fact, we haven't even come close to winning the league. A lot of this has to do with bad decisions, true, but most if it has to do with the money we don't have. Players look at United and ask themselves - what can United offer that other teams in the PL can't? Just a name? In the '00's we used to be THE club to play for. Madrid and United were the clubs every player wanted to be in. Now we are considered a bit of a joke. Thankfully, the name still carries some weight, but that can only get you so far.
It has 0 to do with the money! Come on. You aren't seriously claiming that our problem the past decade has been money? And then put Spurs as an example? That's exactly my point isn't it? Spurs have made good decisions over time to increase their stature and improve their facilities. United, yes we've ignoring other portions. Instead of putting money in the structure, in the facilities, the Glazers take out dividends (166m since 2016) and have thrown away 750m since the Glazers took over on debt repayments. That's almost 1 BILLION pounds just thrown out because of shite ownership. Under normal ownership, that billion is reinvested into the club structure and facilities, and in addition to this, the 1 billion that was spent on transfers the past 10 years would be spent more wisely. Less money wasted on managerial sackings, and so on.

0% of United's issue since Sir Alex left has been related to how much money the club brings in. Come on. How can anyone claim that when all the facts points to United, after 10 years of mediocrity, still having the capability to outspend everyone in terms of year after year net spend and is always among the top wage spenders? What more can you actually ask for from a financial perspective? It's pure greed to want anything more, and being dramatic on the back of nothing to claim that United can't compete financially.

I'm not sure what your last sentence has to do with anything. United's name doesn't carry the weight it used to because of mismanagement for years turning us into a mid table team despite being the biggest spenders. It is one thing to be mid table in spend, and to have to be spot on every year just to compete and have 0 wiggle room. Teams who have a net spend of 0 because they need to move players on at the right times and find gems and be coached perfectly to compete. United doesn't have that restriction and nothing points to that. United has been managed like garbage the past 10 years. We've had garbage managers, and garbage owners, garbage transfer committees, etc. We've wasted 1 billion on transfers and shit managers. And then wasted another 1 billion on shite ownership because of debt repayments and dividend payments.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is all becoming very public. At least we might know a bit more about the eventual winner and project before the Glazers sign off, even if we cannot do much about it.

Sviken

Because its a contradiction of epic proportions
in what way? You can be both at the same time. The club isn't in good state at the moment. To deny that is to just lie to ourselves. Ten Hag might change that, but it's way early days to even talk about that. But at the same time it has history and legacy that few other clubs can match. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for you to understand.

It has 0 to do with the money! Come on. You aren't seriously claiming that our problem the past decade has been money? And then put Spurs as an example? That's exactly my point isn't it? Spurs have made good decisions over time to increase their stature and improve their facilities. United, yes we've ignoring other portions. Instead of putting money in the structure, in the facilities, the Glazers take out dividends (166m since 2016) and have thrown away 750m since the Glazers took over on debt repayments. That's almost 1 BILLION pounds just thrown out because of shite ownership. Under normal ownership, that billion is reinvested into the club structure and facilities, and in addition to this, the 1 billion that was spent on transfers the past 10 years would be spent more wisely. Less money wasted on managerial sackings, and so on.
And what have Spurs done with their financially good decisions? They're still a top 6 club, same way they've always been since more than 15 years ago.

0% of United's issue since Sir Alex left has been related to how much money the club brings in. Come on. How can anyone claim that when all the facts points to United, after 10 years of mediocrity, still having the capability to outspend everyone in terms of year after year net spend and is always among the top wage spenders? What more can you actually ask for from a financial perspective? It's pure greed to want anything more, and being dramatic on the back of nothing to claim that United can't compete financially.
I feel llke i'm repeating myself constantly now. At the cost of literally everything else that makes a top club. Our stadium is in need of repair, our training grounds need improvement, youth, overall club infrastructure. We're lagging heavily behind there. And not only have we not cleared the debt off, it's still rising. We're not pulling that money out of our asses, it's taken from somewhere else.

I'm not sure what your last sentence has to do with anything. United's name doesn't carry the weight it used to because of mismanagement for years turning us into a mid table team despite being the biggest spenders. It is one thing to be mid table in spend, and to have to be spot on every year just to compete and have 0 wiggle room. Teams who have a net spend of 0 because they need to move players on at the right times and find gems and be coached perfectly to compete. United doesn't have that restriction and nothing points to that. United has been managed like garbage the past 10 years. We've had garbage managers, and garbage owners, garbage transfer committees, etc. We've wasted 1 billion on transfers and shit managers. And then wasted another 1 billion on shite ownership because of debt repayments and dividend payments.
Who has competed so far by having a net profit except Liverpool? And even Liverpool have hit a dead end that they won't escape from just in a year or two.

Giggsyking

"(Ineos) never wants to be the dumb money in town, never, never," he (SJR) told The Times in 2019. (United) haven't got the manager selection right, haven't bought well. They have been the dumb money, which you see with players like Fred. "We won't look elsewhere until we have had a good run here (at Nice). We need to find out how to be successful before you ever want to write a big cheque. It's quite difficult."

How's Nice doing?
Shit

Godfather

Well at least we know how to properly protest against the owner should Ratcliffe be tight arsed with us

TheReligion

Abusive
in what way? You can be both at the same time. The club isn't in good state at the moment. To deny that is to just lie to ourselves. Ten Hag might change that, but it's way early days to even talk about that. But at the same time it has history and legacy that few other clubs can match. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for you to understand.

And what have Spurs done with their financially good decisions? They're still a top 6 club, same way they've always been since more than 15 years ago.

I feel llke i'm repeating myself constantly now. At the cost of literally everything else that makes a top club. Our stadium is in need of repair, our training grounds need improvement, youth, overall club infrastructure. We're lagging heavily behind there. And not only have we not cleared the debt off, it's still rising. We're not pulling that money out of our asses, it's taken from somewhere else.

Who has competed so far by having a net profit except Liverpool? And even Liverpool have hit a dead end that they won't escape from just in a year or two.
You said the club is a joke.

I see what you are saying about how things have been run but no need for the over dramatic sensationalism.

Tommy79

Man City before Pep were a "newborn" club, so to speak. They were still struggling to become a 'big' club and enticing overpriced players with ridiculous wages and transfer fees. And said City also had to compete with Mourinho and SAF, who although heavily gimped by spending, was still SAF. Guardiola's only challenge, I'm sorry to say, has been Klopp who has vastly inferior resources to him.
Like we have never done that right, like to snatch Robson from liverpool who were winning everything at the time and done it many a time since. And you might want to check your history as they didnt start spending big till 09, hmm wasn't José out in Italy with Inter then and didnt return till after AF retired, so city were never competing against Jose and AF at the same time.

And be wary of saying things like, oh pep only had to deal with klopp, as till Wenger AF only had to deal with big Ron one season, doglish another before he ran upstairs, keegan another before his epic live meltdown the clown, and then it was only Wenger for 7 years before Jose rocked up who (wenger) like klopp didnt get to spent big money either.

Tinúviel

It has to be a state backed club or we will be left behind. Its as simple as that.

To all these people in this thread with a grandiose sense of self importance, i assume United is a big part of your life?

You'd rather virtue signaling on things you have absolutely no say in or effect on than to have your favorite team win?

These ME investors wont disappear because you feel like a good person and get a few pats on the back. They will move on to another club and we will fall further behind.

Life is hard and you should take the crumbles thrown at you. Or someone else is.

United is a hugh part of my life and life is short so if the ride will get a tiny bit better with ME owners, so be it.

If you truly want to be a good person you should move out in the woods and build yourself a little cabin with your bare hands. Because, make no mistake, we are all tainted by corruption.

That's my two cents anyway. Be free to disagree.

Reactions: Sultan

bosnian_red

Spurs with their financially good decisions have transitioned into being a standard prem club to being firmly in the big 6 bucket where they compete with the big 6 every year, have a clear gap with the rest of the league in terms of their revenue, etc, which will enable them to compete long term. Spurs are not United. But the idea is the same. They have made good decisions over time and have gone from something similar to what Aston Villa were to being set in the top 6 in terms of money.

You are repeating yourself because you clearly aren't reading what I am saying :lol:. United don't need state funded owners to be at the top. United just needs competence. It is not at the cost of literally everything else that makes a top club. Our stadium and training grounds and infrastructure is in need of revamp, because it has been neglected. It hasn't been neglected because we have spent on transfers. It has been neglected because we have shit owners, and because 1 billion has been drained out of the club for no reason other than the Glazers taking it out of the club. That's my point. Under any normal ownership, over the past 20 years, we would have spent another 1 billion on internal club things. Another 1 billion spent on facility upgrades, renovations, etc. That isn't at the expense of the transfer fees we have spent the past 10 years. That is in addition to that amount.

Again, we are not where we are because the club doesn't generate enough money. That is 100% incorrect. What you want, is to have enough money that it pushes through incompetence so you are incapable of failing. Nobody is incapable of failing. Incompetence will always come back to bite people in the ass. That is where we are. What we need to get out of it, is an owner to come in and clear the debt, and then manage with competence.

Liverpool have hit a transition period that again, every team has to go through. Which is fine, it happens. What will feck them is Klopp likely won't stay through a transition into another big team, as that takes time. United is another animal compared to Liverpool, but Liverpool has shown that it's possible anyway. But what you quoted is me saying that United doesn't have the restrictions of needing to maintain a net profit. We have loads of transfer market strength, as we show every year. We just need to, you know, not be dumb. Which is hard for football clubs.

crossy1686

career ending
The Chelsea buyout was a consortium, and they're spending money like it doesn't matter, with the stadium to pay for yet for them, so what's the thinking here, reach a point where they have paid for a young squad and better stadium, and then start to take money out in dividends? In which case it'd going to take a very long time to get their money back, or sell the club on again in 5-10 years?
Skim off the top, move money around, use the cash that they generate here to service debt and boost other ventures. Sell for equal or more in time.

red thru&thru

No doubt Ratcliffe will try and generate support from the fans. We all remember the Lfc game where a banner with his face was being taken around and a lot of support online.

The fans could be crucial for any bid.

Eddy_JukeZ

Like James Ducker has reported, expect other bidders to go public in the coming weeks. I'm personally expecting some big hitters from the ME or America to win the bidding. Someone like Steve Ballmer from the US could potentially emerge and he has the wealth to make things happen.
Ballmer would be interesting.

Highly doubt he's got any interest in owning 2 teams though.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Do people actually think ratcliffe could buy us on his own without any debt. If he can leverage Ineos then fair enough.
Good question, but do not worry. From my view point at least, the following assumptions can be trusted:
(a) Nobody will be looking to buy us only to sell (a club at the same level as) West Ham. If you do not insert a lot of money to the club — that is what will happen.
(b) No kind of investment case that would attract investors like Malcom Glazer can be made. It could if you could buy us for 1bn. Not for 5-6.
(c) Put Manchester United plc in 4-6bn in debt — we will play in the Championship within 3 years. It is not happening.

I am not worried for a bad buyer. I get the concern given the history — but that doesn’t scare me. I think the biggest concern would be the huge economic downturn that we currently see resulting in nobody tabeling a high enough bid to convince the Glazers to sell. Getting a first bid in from Ratcliffe that surely won’t be that high, but at the same time at least legit, that is a big step on the way and only good news.

We can attempt to debate the merit of different owners — but it will not matter one bit. The Glazers will take the highest bid. Whomever we get, will results in good things for the club in terms of investment in infrastructure and the squad. Some owners would be more likable than others.

Lastly, we can discuss deep pockets and of course it’s to an extent relevant. But while teams can cheat with sponsorship deals etc — there are certainly limits nowadays that didn’t even remotely exist just 5-10 years ago. If someone buy this club and invest say around 2bn — there is no way a team like City or Newcastle or PSG could come in and spend twice as much as we could.

Giggsyking

Spurs with their financially good decisions have transitioned into being a standard prem club to being firmly in the big 6 bucket where they compete with the big 6 every year, have a clear gap with the rest of the league in terms of their revenue, etc, which will enable them to compete long term. Spurs are not United. But the idea is the same. They have made good decisions over time and have gone from something similar to what Aston Villa were to being set in the top 6 in terms of money.

You are repeating yourself because you clearly aren't reading what I am saying :lol:. United don't need state funded owners to be at the top. United just needs competence. It is not at the cost of literally everything else that makes a top club. Our stadium and training grounds and infrastructure is in need of revamp, because it has been neglected. It hasn't been neglected because we have spent on transfers. It has been neglected because we have shit owners, and because 1 billion has been drained out of the club for no reason other than the Glazers taking it out of the club. That's my point. Under any normal ownership, over the past 20 years, we would have spent another 1 billion on internal club things. Another 1 billion spent on facility upgrades, renovations, etc. That isn't at the expense of the transfer fees we have spent the past 10 years. That is in addition to that amount.

Again, we are not where we are because the club doesn't generate enough money. That is 100% incorrect. What you want, is to have enough money that it pushes through incompetence so you are incapable of failing. Nobody is incapable of failing. Incompetence will always come back to bite people in the ass. That is where we are. What we need to get out of it, is an owner to come in and clear the debt, and then manage with competence.

Liverpool have hit a transition period that again, every team has to go through. Which is fine, it happens. What will feck them is Klopp likely won't stay through a transition into another big team, as that takes time. United is another animal compared to Liverpool, but Liverpool has shown that it's possible anyway. But what you quoted is me saying that United doesn't have the restrictions of needing to maintain a net profit. We have loads of transfer market strength, as we show every year. We just need to, you know, not be dumb. Which is hard for football clubs.
If you think you can build a new stadium plus pay off our debt with "investors as owners", you are dreaming. Nobody can buy a club for 7b and pay 3 extra billion on a new stadium and club debt.

slored1

He's another sportswasher but with less money than the rest. Mediocre option but at least better than the Glazers I guess.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Thinking about this , I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a media stunt , everyone knows he was interested but claimed the club wasn’t for sale. Now the club is for sale he’s kind of forced to show interest.

I don’t think he’ll end up winning the process with INEOS and I don’t think his bid is serious.

Sviken

If you think you can build a new stadium plus pay off our debt with "investors as owners", you are dreaming. Nobody can buy a club for 7b and pay 3 extra billion on a new stadium and club debt.
They could, but again we're reaching back to the original point - they won't be investors. The club as it stands, per the price alone, is not a viable investment. Let alone paying off the club's debt, renovating Old Trafford and the training grounds on top of competing with the rest of the PL on transfers. Whoever buys the club, he's not doing it for profit.

red thru&thru

Thinking about this , I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a media stunt , everyone knows he was interested but claimed the club wasn’t for sale. Now the club is for sale he’s kind of forced to show interest.

I don’t think he’ll end up winning the process with INEOS and I don’t think his bid is serious.
Could he be working with the Glazers in getting others to pay more?

There's so many possible theories.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
No doubt Ratcliffe will try and generate support from the fans. We all remember the Lfc game where a banner with his face was being taken around and a lot of support online.

The fans could be crucial for any bid.
Someone asked at the TUS, if owners will present their plan for the club. I wouldn’t be surprised if that happen. Say you have 4 potential bidders. One got the best “pedigree”. One will invest more than the rest in the club. A third will involve the fans. A 4th have no benefits at all.

How should we expect these type of bidders to act? Like it’s not far fetched to expect the guy with the best pedigree — Ratcliffe — to go out and let everyone know that he is in the running. Could the one who will invest the most let the fans know that? Doesn’t seem far fetched.

At the same time, it does not really matter, right. Sure some group could tear down heaven and sky if the wrong owner gets involved, could scare someone off.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am glad that he went to public. Now real buyers (Saudi, Qatar, Dubai) will start bidding.
This could be over in March. I hope.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Question is who owns Ineos? Is it listed or is it Jim? The other shareholders wont like if he (hopefully) pumps money into the club. That for me is a key issue
Good question, think it’s about 70/30 between Ratcliffe and some others. Will look into it more.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
The review process with Raine can be very intensive. I have a hard time picturing any scenario where a group could keep the fact they are involved a secret, so I don’t see the point in trying. It isn’t the sort of situation where someone can slip a bid past prospective buyers.

If it is handled the way Raine would normally (and for you, hopefully), then the “price” is only one phase, and it will be broken down into detailed plans for debt management, infrastructure investment, etc. where is the investment coming from?

I’m always wary of “net worth”, so Ratcliffe would make me nervous.

Abramovich liquidated nearly all his assets prior to buying Chemsea and didn’t blink an eye at throwing upwards of 30% of his worth or more into Chelsea.

But that is very rare for individual owners.

Think of it this way: Ratcliffe’s net worth (not Ineos’) is roughly 6 B? That’s not much more than Boehly’s, and Boehly isn’t the money guy for Clearlake.

If Ineos, not Ratcliffe alone, are the buyers then that would create an entirely different set of issues and potential problems.

Whoever buys you, to do it right, is going to need to come out with around 3B in cash on hand AFTER the sale, just to right the ship. If I were a United fan I would want to know how serious Sir Jim is about United. Would he be Roman-level serious about the percentage of his wealth he would willingly put in the team? Or would he be all about “balancing he books and growing over time”? Basically the Glazers but only slightly better?

I would feel better if they made the requirements and criteria Raine were set more public, like with Chelsea. The Glazers owe United fans at least that much.

croadyman

Can anyone here go to his French team forum and ask the fans their about him ?

I think we can get a pretty good idea about him as an owner
Yeah that sounds like a good idea and will definitely help to give a picture of how he runs a club

bosnian_red

We don't need to build a new stadium. Renovate Old Trafford and the facilities. But at the same time... I don't expect any owner to come in and "gift that" out of their own pocket. We need an owner who comes in and clears the debt during the purchase, and then just doesn't take money out. And then you refinance to fund renovations with the clubs own money... because that is a club thing and it's fair to take out debt on the club to refurbish the stadium that belongs to the club, and it's a pretty normal thing to do. I am very ok with operating fairly and normally, even if it means there is down years or times where you have to struggle through a bit as you prioritize spending. That's the way it's always been. By no means should the expectation be that an owner comes in and just gifts us a refurbished Old Trafford out of the goodness of his own heart. Also on that, not sure why some people want a new stadium rather than just renovating Old Trafford. I'd much rather just update Old Trafford like Real Madrid did with the Bernabeu. Moving to a new stadium would be a shame IMO.

And who is buying the club for 7b?? It'll be 5bn.

Spoony

The People's President
We don't need to build a new stadium. Renovate Old Trafford and the facilities. But at the same time... I don't expect any owner to come in and "gift that" out of their own pocket. We need an owner who comes in and clears the debt during the purchase, and then just doesn't take money out. And then you refinance to fund renovations with the clubs own money... because that is a club thing and it's fair to take out debt on the club to refurbish the stadium that belongs to the club, and it's a pretty normal thing to do. I am very ok with operating fairly and normally, even if it means there is down years or times where you have to struggle through a bit as you prioritize spending. That's the way it's always been. By no means should the expectation be that an owner comes in and just gifts us a refurbished Old Trafford out of the goodness of his own heart. Also on that, not sure why some people want a new stadium rather than just renovating Old Trafford. I'd much rather just update Old Trafford like Real Madrid did with the Bernabeu. Moving to a new stadium would be a shame IMO.

And who is buying the club for 7b?? It'll be 5bn.

Cost of an extensive renovation is north of a billion quid too. So it's going to cost a lot regardless... the new Camp Nou is costing over billion. But yeah it would be my choice too. Also a new stadium's stands wouldn't be as close to the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.