Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom Merrilin

Because a route to full ownership is likely more Glazer bullshit. Like they have fed the fans for years to pacify them.

If they were willing to give up full ownership, why not do it now?
If it is bs it would be Ineos bs not Glazer.

Because nobody has made an offer for immediate full ownership that meets their valuation.

littlepeasoup

Hypothetical;

The commercial side of the club wants a summer tour in Asia because it’ll bring in a shit tonne of money but the sporting side of the business would prefer a different type of tour maybe closer to home for performance reasons. Who wins?

mu4c_20le

I’ve calmed down and settled.

Ultimately the glamour of the Qatar bid was alluring. The idea of it was so promising and spectacular that it was definitely too good to be true.

I don’t think their involvement is dead, they will be back soon enough to invest or buy the club off Jim.

Now the sporting control aspect of Jim’s bid is interesting not too long ago he mentioned how it was frustrating how the club is being run and he thinks structural change is needed.

If Qatar hadn’t been involved and before they were we were all VERY excited about Jim buying the club.

It’s hard not to go mad and think we’ve sounded it all up the wall for a decade but the sporting control aspect is promising IF true,

However does Arnold vote this through knowing he may be chopped? Maybe he’s above “sporting decisions” weird and interesting times ahead..
Good post, particularly the bolded part because I wanted to point out something similar a few dozen pages back before the withdrawal news. Before Qatar even entered the scene, everyone was resigned to the Glazers staying forever and would've begged for Ratcliffe to try and buy us.

As for Arnold, not sure if he gets a vote, but he's basically Tom Wambsgam right now.

MrBest

This club is gone in my opinion. Its an utterly mess from top to bottom. Even if Jim gets 25% nothing changes. How did we get here, I despise American business people.

jadaba

Such depressing news. I have the same sunken feeling in my gut as when Kendall didn’t get the company.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Glad it’s SJR and not Qatar. A local billionaire who’s a lifelong fan of the club over Petrostste ownership every day of the week.

we need this to evolve into a full takeover over the coming 2-3 years, and I’m confident it will.

Sir Jim getting sporting control is a big step forwards. The Glazers are utter clowns. No it’s not going to revolutionise our club overnight but this is a step in the right direction.

clarkydaz

Hypothetical;

The commercial side of the club wants a summer tour in Asia because it’ll bring in a shit tonne of money but the sporting side of the business would prefer a different type of tour maybe closer to home for performance reasons. Who wins?
if they are looking at exiting in the near future, they probably dont care that much anymore. I see it as Ineos doing all the work while they can relax in the backseat

MiceOnMeth

We are so so fecked. We'll not win a title for another 20 years at this rate. Will be fun watching city surpass us in Premier Leagues while those leeches are still sucking every last penny out of us.

arthurka

Didn't want the Qataris to take over United but that didn't mean I wanted Brexit Jim and the Glazers to go to bed together. Feck this shit, Glazers are a pest.

macheda14

If this goes through, and Mr Ratcliffe is minority owner with the Glazers sticking around.. I think I’m finally done with the club, it’s not Manchester United, and if we’re honest it hasn’t been for a very long time.. our club died when those parasites forced us into debt and dragged us into a position where we couldn’t possibly compete.. this is the Glazer athletic club, and they don’t deserve anyone’s support
There are reasons to stop supporting the club but having the same owners as we have had for a long time isn’t one of them. Could even argue getting bought by Qatar could be one of them.

This club is gone in my opinion. Its an utterly mess from top to bottom. Even if Jim gets 25% nothing changes. How did we get here, I despise American business people.
It is being reported it’s a stepped process. He/INEOS will own the club within the next 5-10 years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's 25% with a route to full ownership. Why does everyone ignore that part?
Because that part is clouded with if/maybe/one day/. Classic PR bs from Jim's camp.

Reality is; somebody bought 25% of shares which allows Glazers to stay in club for years now. Will they sell in future? Maybe. Maybe not. And when is that future? In 2 years? 5? 10? Who knows?

The Hilton

We have zero knowledge of where that 25% goes. Could go to The Glazers, could be split between Glazers and minority shareholders and it could be all going to minority shareholders, so lets not assume anything.

Also, tell me why he would make only a 25% investment?
This sale process shows a) the Glazers dont want to full sale and b) there is a minute pool of potential buyers. Practically only Sovereign Wealth funds have the money.
So if you take a 25% stake in a business in the hope that you can flip that in the future, then you better be sure that someone will want to buy that stake. This process has showed how difficult it that actually is.

Of course it is. 70 year old man isn't investing to make a profit if and when a bigger fish comes in a buys the whole club for 10+bil. He wants to come in, take control and be lorded as the man who saved Man United.

If he wanted to make a profit, he would continue to do what has already made him the richest man in England.
Ratcliffe is buying the shares of someone though, right. Minority shareholder or Glazers, neither of those are much good to the club. It's possible that the Glazers could throw past performance out of the window and invest some of it back in the club, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to entertain it as a realistic possibility.

As for expecting him to take full ownership, that's just you projecting your desires onto the situation. Don't get me wrong, now that he's on board I'd like that to happen too, and I'm sure he'd love to take over fully, but I don't see how it can. He couldn't afford to buy them out at the Glazers' current valuation, let alone after any increase in valuation, so short of a collapse in value (which can only mean really bad things for us) we're stuck with them continuing to leech, and he's just along for the ride.

Werd.

He wants sporting control, but who decides the financial side of things? Will things like transfer fees/budgets still need to be approved by Joel/Avram?

Matriac

Absolutely chuffed at this news, brightened my weekend. Was very concerned what state-ownership might mean for the club.

Would have preferred the Glazers gone, but this seems like the only step in that direction that they're willing to entertain, so I'm happy with it. I feel certain that Jim/Ineos have put plenty of provisions in there to ensure that everything benefits them, and by extension the club, in the long run.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
So United will probably be in the mud for another 5-10 years at least.

Damn City are really going to dominate us for a while. Oh well it’s only football i guess.

Maybe we will have some good europa league runs and maybe a carabo cup or two.

gregwar

Just bleak isn't it? A bit of hope of getting rid of the Glazers, and we had either state ownership or a greenwashing continuation of the Glazers as the answer. I'm glad I'm more arsed with non-league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have zero knowledge of where that 25% goes. Could go to The Glazers, could be split between Glazers and minority shareholders and it could be all going to minority shareholders, so lets not assume anything.

Also, tell me why he would make only a 25% investment?
This sale process shows a) the Glazers dont want to full sale and b) there is a minute pool of potential buyers. Practically only Sovereign Wealth funds have the money.
So if you take a 25% stake in a business in the hope that you can flip that in the future, then you better be sure that someone will want to buy that stake. This process has showed how difficult it that actually is.
Theres an athletic article answering this. He gets immediate sporting control.

Amarsdd

There are reasons to stop supporting the club but having the same owners as we have had for a long time isn’t one of them. Could even argue getting bought by Qatar could be one of them.

It is being reported it’s a stepped process. He/INEOS will own the club within the next 5-10 years.
I thinks its reported as majority owners in 1 year at the earliest and 100% in 3-6 years

littlepeasoup

if they are looking at exiting in the near future, they probably dont care that much anymore. I see it as Ineos doing all the work while they can relax in the backseat
But will Ineos install their own commercial people or will they still be acting on behalf of the Glazers?

It just seems like a muddying of the waters which isn’t good for anyone.

Thom Merrilin

Have you actually read the news? One thing that would change immediatly is who has sporting control of the club. Also going off the reports it looks like the Glazers will be out of the club in 3-6 years if this bid is accepted.

IrishRedDevil

United, never ever ever do things the straightforward way.

Now it’ll be years thinking ‘‘who runs the club, who makes the decisions’’.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Glad it’s Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE and not Qatar. A local billionaire who’s a lifelong fan of the club over Petrostste ownership every day of the week.

we need this to evolve into a full takeover over the coming 2-3 years, and I’m confident it will.

Sir Jim getting sporting control is a big step forwards. The Glazers are utter clowns. No it’s not going to revolutionise our club overnight but this is a step in the right direction.
lifelong apart from the few years supporting chelsea

Moriarty

True but if the people they hired to handle the bid were any indication then we'd more likely be another PSG clown show than City's oiled machine, which is probably what most are fantasizing about.
The bid was to buy United lock, stock, and barrel. The Glazers always said they were looking for strategic investment possibilities. Now they have what they wanted. Jassim never wanted just a piece.

Roboc7

Something will change, be pretty stupid to spend so much money and just inherit the Glazers problems for an inflated fee and only be able to sit and watch them continue to run it into the ground.

I don’t get this idea of RIP Utd because of this news, the Glazers have killed the club already and they have done it deliberately as part of a conceived plan. I get why people don’t like INEOS but they will at least have the intent to try and improve things. It may be a shit show but we are one already and same applies to any new owner.

Thom Merrilin

Because that part is clouded with if/maybe/one day/. Classic PR bs from Jim's camp.

Reality is; somebody bought 25% of shares which allows Glazers to stay in club for years now. Will they sell in future? Maybe. Maybe not. And when is that future? In 2 years? 5? 10? Who knows?
I mean, you can believe it or not but all the reports say that Ineos want full control and that there's a route to 100% ownership in their bid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Where has 5-10 years come from? I doubt it's that long. The man would be 80 before he gets a majority. I don't buy that time line.

Status
Not open for further replies.