Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Actually $300m US.

It's not enough to completely revolutionise things, but it's hardly just 'a coat of paint'. It's a very significant amount to inject into the club in a 12 month time frame. How much more is to come in later years, we'll just have to wait and see.
Thank you for correcting me. Too much wine with Christmas lunch.

Castia

So how much has been invested in Old Trafford stadium recently.
But why is the bar so low? This ‘it’s better than nothing’ attitude when the club needs a complete overhaul is why we’re on the path to more mediocrity

Clubs like Everton and Spurs can build a new stadium yet here we are getting shafted with a new coat of paint at OT and fans like you are lapping it up

JediSith

Again, the debt has no real detrimental impact on the footballing side, it doesn't affect FFP, just as a full takeover wouldn't affect FFP.

This news can only be a good thing for the club in my eyes, today os not the day for moaning.
So why was the debt the first concern about the glazer takeover and the concern that remained even when United were winning league tittles and CL? Let’s not revise history. The level of debt is a major handicap.

All the interest spent over the past 20 years on servicing the debt could have paid for a new stadium, or modernised the current stadium and severely updated Carrington. Also don’t forget £1b has been paid on the servicing the debt and the debt is about the same amount that it was when the glazers put it on the club, sometimes it becomes higher!

Castia

You think it stops at 300m?
He won’t be investing more until they sell more significant shares and there’s absolutely no signs of that being the case as it stands so I wouldn’t be surprised

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But why is the bar so low? This ‘it’s better than nothing’ attitude when the club needs a complete overhaul is why we’re on the path to more mediocrity

Clubs like Everton and Spurs can build a new stadium yet here we are getting shafted with a new coat of paint at OT and fans like you are lapping it up
The bar is so low because that is the reality of the current situation. Of course we would all like more. Much more. But at the moment, this is the only deal in town as no other investor is willing to put more in.
At least this money is ring fenced and isn't going straight into the Glazer pockets.

Partridge

I'm sure he will put more in over time. The money will certainly help.

I met him in Manchester when I was doing an interview with sue cook on the dangers of smoking. Lovely man.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
I feel sick to my stomach, we had a once in a lifetime opportunity to be owned by some of the richest people on the planet.

It could have been a fast track to the best of everything...stadium, training faiclities, squad, staff etc.

Instead we now have "local lad" Jim who probably has a 10+ year plan which isnt certain to suceed, all while our rivals keep getting better.

The worst part is, Qatar will now likely buy a rival club, do a newcastle with them and thats one more team we have to compete with for a top four place, let alone a title.

This isnt to blame any of the fans, it was out of our hands - but it's all just very fecking depressing.
Yep, we had a very clear chance to compete at the top again and rebuild United from the ground up, but now we have to settle for this pile of crap and hope and pray for a miracle.

clarkydaz

I feel sick to my stomach, we had a once in a lifetime opportunity to be owned by some of the richest people on the planet.

It could have been a fast track to the best of everything...stadium, training faiclities, squad, staff etc.

Instead we now have "local lad" Jim who probably has a 10+ year plan which isnt certain to suceed, all while our rivals keep getting better.

The worst part is, Qatar will now likely buy a rival club, do a newcastle with them and thats one more team we have to compete with for a top four place, let alone a title.

This isnt to blame any of the fans, it was out of our hands - but it's all just very fecking depressing.
It appears the Glazers were never looking for a full sale bar a ludicrous amount of money. So the Quatar thing isn't worth clinging onto

TheReligion

Abusive
Why? They’ll just be waiting on Jim instead of Joel. There’s nothing streamlined here.
Plus extending budget is because they know the squad needs more, seemingly having that flexibility taken away isn’t a positive
Wrong. That’s not how it will work. That’s not how it works anywhere other than in the world of the Glazers.

Don’t think you follow.

Partridge

To be fair, a full sale was amongst the options. They never said or stated it was a full sale only in any capacity. Just looking at various ways of investment.

Fridge chutney

Can’t see this tweet, what does it say?
Miguel Delany says: "Ratcliffe has actually been discussing minority since May, when it became apparent Glazers wouldn’t sell Football side will revert to Ferguson/Gill structure - no longer have to run major buys past Glazers. Budget allocated"

And Chris Winterburn replies to that tweet with: "A budget being allocated is massive. No more idiocy, changing plans on a whim. Doing nothing then panic splurging after a heavy defeat to start the season. No more having to wait for Joel to okay everything. No more taking weeks just to end up paying more for a player than originally asked."

laughtersassassin

It's a good first step and personally I'll be very surprised if Jim isn't majority owner within the next few years.

He is already the largest single shareholder. The Glazers just own more than him combined and while they'll probably all just follow Joel and Avram we have seen apparent disagreements between siblings in the sale process.

Jim and Ineos are much more successful business people than the Glazers so that gives me a lot of hope that they wouldn't be doing this unless they knew they'd be majority owners sooner than later.

300mil investment + another 5 or so percent owned for Jim is already announced. And reporters am have consistently said this is just the start.

It's all positive so far and with Ineos appointing the CEO and confirmed as having total control on footballing matters it seems they'll have a large amount of control from the get go.

TheReligion

Abusive
He won’t be investing more until they sell more significant shares and there’s absolutely no signs of that being the case as it stands so I wouldn’t be surprised
No signs at all.

Other than selling 25% of the club along with relinquishing control of all football operations and stepping away. For the first time in 18 years.

No sign whatsoever. None.

At this stage do you even know what you’re writing? :lol:

NotThatSoph

These 300m have nothing to do with the selling of shares, they're issuing new ones.

Pes6Monster

Yep, we had a very clear chance to compete at the top again and rebuild United from the ground up, but now we have to settle for this pile of crap and hope and pray for a miracle.
The Qatari's inability to close this deal is the proof you need they weren't up to much.

They thought they'd swan in with the full sportswash package but had no idea who they dealing with. Sheer arrogance. Whenever they promised a billion to do up the local area, the Glazers immediately realised that money was in play and could be spent on them.

They attempted to exert pressure buying off David Beckham and Rio Ferdinand in 'ambassador' roles, only for the Glazers to laugh at their stupidity. Like they give the first feck what club legends think. Incompetent morons. Imagine the United Tax on every transfer and negotiation. Yikes.

We'll see what Ineos et al can do, it's hardly awe inspiring, but Qatar would have been an utter disaster.

DSG

So the Glazers allowed Ratcliffe to have partial control/all of football ops of the club for all of £1.3billion? Or were they so desperate for some capital injection?
What I’m saying is that the writing is on the wall. The Glazers want to cash in IMHO. Think of it this way… there are these siblings, some of whom have no interest in owning a football club. And when they realize they will need to improve the stadium, meaning capital from their pockets, or loans, they are reluctant to commit. So, obviously, sell the club. But not all siblings agree with the valuation… some want to hold on. Those that don’t can sell to SJR. Or, they can issue new shares which dilutes all shareholders equally.

The point is that they are selling and you can see with the additional capital committed of 300m plus another 1.3 to 1.5b to purchase 25% of the class A non voting shares. That puts his outlay at 2.9b - 3.1b for 55%-60% of the club. The Glazers wanted 6b…. So, pretty close.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Actually, he's getting equity for that $300mn. Glazers are agreeing to put that money towards the stadium instead of pocketing that amount.
The club is issuing new shares for that amount - the 300m isn't a transaction between him and the Glazers.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
What I’m saying is that the writing is on the wall. The Glazers want to cash in IMHO. Think of it this way… there are these siblings, some of whom have no interest in owning a football club. And when they realize they will need to improve the stadium, meaning capital from their pockets, or loans, they are reluctant to commit. So, obviously, sell the club. But not all siblings agree with the valuation… some want to hold on. Those that don’t can sell to SJR. Or, they can issue new shares which dilutes all shareholders equally.

The point is that they are selling and you can see with the additional capital committed of 300m plus another 1.3 to 1.5b to purchase 25% of the class A non voting shares. That puts his outlay at 2.9b - 3.1b for 55%-60% of the club. The Glazers wanted 6b…. So, pretty close.
This is how I interpreted it too.

The four other siblings wanted out entirely and preferred Qatar for that reason, whole Joel and Avram wanted to stay on. Hence the months-long impasse.

So to get the other four on board, SJR had to offer them an eventual exit path.

redshaw

It will be a slow crawl out the hole we're in, getting the training facilities improved, better people making the right decisions which should reflect well on the pitch in time thus leading to improved prize money and sponsors/merch.

Glazers started off wanting investment and sale was mentioned second.

The details and approach of the Jassim bid in a professional capacity were said to be vague.

Last edited:

pascell

Why are people crying its 'only' €300m? €300m will likely go towards redevelopment of the South stand, increasing its capacity and will finally fix the leaky ass roof.

This is step one, granted there will be many steps until he has full control, but it's a start.

DSG

25% of the class B shaers ~17% of the club.
25% of the class A shaers ~8% of the club.
He has no control on the PLC board as he can not veto any major decision even after his investment in the form of 300m that might give another 5% of the club.
After reading the official statement from the club, he is obtaining 25% of the B shares — this indicates that he’ll be purchasing directly from the Glazers. They will either be equally diluted or he’ll purchase individually. In addition 25% of the A shares. We don’t know if they will convert to voting shares — I would imagine so. We don’t know the board bylaws. The 300m will be treated as a capital injection most likely, meaning all shareholders will be diluted equally. Also, my guess is that those will also be voting shares… That would give him 31% of the voting shares. I see this as effectively controlling the company.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
After reading the official statement from the club, he is obtaining 25% of the B shares — this indicates that he’ll be purchasing directly from the Glazers. They will either be equally diluted or he’ll purchase individually. In addition 25% of the A shares. We don’t know if they will convert to voting shares — I would imagine so. We don’t know the board bylaws. The 300m will be treated as a capital injection most likely, meaning all shareholders will be diluted equally. Also, my guess is that those will also be voting shares… That would give him 31% of the voting shares. I see this as effectively controlling the company.
Skeptics seem to be under the impression that the 6 Glazers are a unified bloc and will maintain control through their combined voting power. Personally I don't think that's the case; like you, I also believe this will give him effective control.

DSG

This is how I interpreted it too.

The four other siblings wanted out entirely and preferred Qatar for that reason, whole Joel and Avram wanted to stay on. Hence the months-long impasse.

So to get the other four on board, SJR had to offer them an eventual exit path.
I re-read the official statement. He’ll have 31% of the company and be the biggest individual shareholder by far. It’s an incredibly powerful position. The total outlay initially committed is more like 2b.

‘I think people are looking at the Glazers as a monolith, but I sincerely doubt that. When you have a billion worth of a large asset, there are all different kinds of voices in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.