Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

onemanarmy

Why are people crying its 'only' €300m? €300m will likely go towards redevelopment of the South stand, increasing its capacity and will finally fix the leaky ass roof.

This is step one, granted there will be many steps until he has full control, but it's a start.
People like to cry.

I'm very positive about this. No state ownership, first time money is being put in the club in over a decade, new football structure.

DSG

Skeptics seem to be under the impression that the 6 Glazers are a unified bloc and will maintain control through their combined voting power. Personally I don't think that's the case; like you, I also believe this will give him effective control.
The fact that all reports indicate that transfers are slow, poor org structure, board sign off is slow indicates that it’s very difficult for Joel Glazer to achieve consensus.

Pes6Monster

Glazers were on their knees. In one year they would be selling whole club. Now, show goes on.
It's because of the size of United the Glazers were not 'on their knees'. They're billionaires with other interests. Had United somehow folded it'd have hurt them, yes, but not cripple them.

The 'show' is 'not going on', either, the football side of the club (the side we care about) now has a new administration - which is desperately needed.

The details and approach of the Jassim bid in a professional capacity we're said to be vague.
It's been suggested the Glazers did not take kindly to being tacitly criticised by them, but considering they attempted to get PSG's crowd involved into upping their state bid, I can't say it was much of a factor.

SJR read the room right. Spotted the schism within the family and found the correct bid. Qatar just got too cocky.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Why are people crying its 'only' €300m? €300m will likely go towards redevelopment of the South stand, increasing its capacity and will finally fix the leaky ass roof.

This is step one, granted there will be many steps until he has full control, but it's a start.
Kirkby, Liverpools brand new training ground finished in 2021, cost them £50 mill. In other words, 1/6 of that amount would get us a brand new training ground. The rest for the stadium is a great start.

Loon

:lol:
It’s entirely possible the initial $300m will be spent on the structure and football set-up.

DSG

He won’t be investing more until they sell more significant shares and there’s absolutely no signs of that being the case as it stands so I wouldn’t be surprised
Capital injections are usually handled by the issuance of new shares. Since the money is used by the club, no individual sells their shares. It means everyone will be diluted equally.

He is obligated to inject 300m. The board may approve additional capital injections. He isn’t obligated, but he could inject more if he wanted to and the board agrees.

Also, people are looking at the 300m and laughing, but it’s possible that the 300m will be used as equity for OT renovation and the rest will be financed with loans. Typically, in commercial real estate, 30/70 is common split, they might spend up to 1b on OT.

cyberman

Wrong. That’s not how it will work. That’s not how it works anywhere other than in the world of the Glazers.

Don’t think you follow.
What part of that tweet do I not understand? Do other clubs get millions signed off without asking the owners?
Please explain

George The Best

Can someone explain the significance of Trawler?

I guess the 300m is from Sir Ratfcliffe personally, so he set up Trawler to put in 300m by gaining shares. So after that investment, there will be INEOS, Glazers and Trawler with class B shares?

Why do this? Can they not just fund it from INEOS?
INEOS won’t own any B shares, just Glazers and Trawlers (Sir Jim)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
INEOS won’t own any B shares, just Glazers and Trawlers (Sir Jim)
INEOS has been given board seats, so I'm thinking this ownership structure with Trawlers may have been done to circumvent multi-club ownership rules and/or sponsorship rules (e.g., if INEOS legally owned us there may have been some restrictions around them also being a sponsor).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why? They’ll just be waiting on Jim instead of Joel. There’s nothing streamlined here.
Plus extending budget is because they know the squad needs more, seemingly having that flexibility taken away isn’t a positive
So a completely different scenario then. I mean, Jim and Joel are definitely two different people, right?

NotThatSoph

If that does happen it will still have the result of diluting the Glazers overall holding tbf.
Sure, but from the Glazers' perspective accepting a dilution of shares is quite different than selling. In both scenarios they lose some control, but with a capital injection they'll keep their investment intact. That's pretty relevant for any of the siblings whose reason for not selling is a belief that the value of the club will keep increasing, so it should be much easier to accept.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jim-ratcliffe-manchester-united-takeover-explained-76ng05jzh

Somebody posted a breakdown of the article on reddit.

Interesting bits:

- It is understood that director of football John Murtough will leave his position, following recently departed chief executive Richard Arnold, as Ratcliffe brings in people he believes are capable of turning things around.

- it is expected Ratcliffe will bring in a new structure with the aim of improving their strategy.

- Ratcliffe is expected to bring a number of his trusted people into the club though the billionaire is likely to have the final sign-off on any major football decisions.

- A new director of football is a key appointment. Michael Edwards, the former Liverpool recruitment chief, and Paul Mitchell, sporting director at Monaco with experience across a number of European clubs, are among the many names who have been considered. Iain Moody, former sporting director at Crystal Palace, has worked as a consultant to Ineos at Nice and may have a role in the new set-up.

- Sir David Brailsford is expected to be involved at Old Trafford overseeing a transformed performance and recruitment department.

- He wants to renovate and potentially expand the stadium but more investment would be needed if the stadium were to be fully modernised.

- But as a source told The Times in October, “There is no point having a stadium as magnificent as Tottenham’s if you haven’t got the team”. So the main project is sorting out the club’s recruitment and structure behind the scenes.

- Ratcliffe wants to have full ownership and there is an expectation that this purchase of a partial stake is the first move towards full control.

AFC NimbleThumb

Miguel Delany says: "Ratcliffe has actually been discussing minority since May, when it became apparent Glazers wouldn’t sell Football side will revert to Ferguson/Gill structure - no longer have to run major buys past Glazers. Budget allocated"

And Chris Winterburn replies to that tweet with: "A budget being allocated is massive. No more idiocy, changing plans on a whim. Doing nothing then panic splurging after a heavy defeat to start the season. No more having to wait for Joel to okay everything. No more taking weeks just to end up paying more for a player than originally asked."
Thanks.

pascell

Kirkby, Liverpools brand new training ground finished in 2021, cost them £50 mill. In other words, 1/6 of that amount would get us a brand new training ground. The rest for the stadium is a great start.
And they've done a phased redevelopment of two stands at Anfield, with the first two phases costing £190m.

We would only need to redevelop the South stand and renovate the remainder of OT for the time being, which puts the infrastructure in a good place.

I'll wait to pass judgement fully on what's transpired but the early signs are promising.

Fts 74

We're such a divided fan base these days it's quite sad actually. I understand a lot of people wanted a full sale and a clean break I would've preferred it too,but absolutely no way did I want us to end up state owned that would've been too much.Most of my wife's family are blues who take great pleasure rubbing my nose in how bad we are at the moment, My reply is you've become everything you hated about us but worse with your cheating and everything else, one day it will all come crashing down.

Maybe I have an overly romantic view of my club borne out of my 40+ years supporting us, we should be the standard bearers, best in class that makes us the unique club that we are, the last decade has removed most if not all of that, but this deal whilst not perfect, is a Start on the path back to where we belong.We don't have a divine right to win trophies that has to be earned, but back challenging properly and playing great, exciting football.

I just cannot understand why it's being totally dismissed by so many, the Glazers clearly didn't want a full sale, this is a huge opportunity to start actually putting the team first bring it on I say.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But every year we've had stories saying that our budget is £xm for the summer. Are the press now admitting they had no clue all along?
Who cares what the press think. Certainly not me.
In truth they know F.All.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jim-ratcliffe-manchester-united-takeover-explained-76ng05jzh

Somebody posted a breakdown of the article on reddit.

Interesting bits:

- It is understood that director of football John Murtough will leave his position, following recently departed chief executive Richard Arnold, as Ratcliffe brings in people he believes are capable of turning things around.

- it is expected Ratcliffe will bring in a new structure with the aim of improving their strategy.

- Ratcliffe is expected to bring a number of his trusted people into the club though the billionaire is likely to have the final sign-off on any major football decisions.

- A new director of football is a key appointment. Michael Edwards, the former Liverpool recruitment chief, and Paul Mitchell, sporting director at Monaco with experience across a number of European clubs, are among the many names who have been considered. Iain Moody, former sporting director at Crystal Palace, has worked as a consultant to Ineos at Nice and may have a role in the new set-up.

- Sir David Brailsford is expected to be involved at Old Trafford overseeing a transformed performance and recruitment department.

- He wants to renovate and potentially expand the stadium but more investment would be needed if the stadium were to be fully modernised.

- But as a source told The Times in October, “There is no point having a stadium as magnificent as Tottenham’s if you haven’t got the team”. So the main project is sorting out the club’s recruitment and structure behind the scenes.

- Ratcliffe wants to have full ownership and there is an expectation that this purchase of a partial stake is the first move towards full control.
Sounds good to me.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It’s not guessing, it was common sense. You just chose to ignore it.
It wasn't common sense; it was, in fact, the opposite of that. However, there is a path forward for majority control (more capital injections would give him more shares) but no explicit clause.

To pretend as if those who guessed correctly had some type of insider knowledge isn't worth entertaining.

cyberman

You’ve a very strange debating style. Willing to completely contradict yourself in consecutive posts. Re-read the post of yours I responded to. Pay particular attention to the question you open it with.
What are you blathering on about? This is the post I quoted and asked the question of.
I think many people are neglecting to acknowledge how significant these changes will be.
I didn’t ask how it was different, I was asking why it was significant.
Maybe you should reread my post before jumping in? It’s not even a debating style, I was asking a question. Who sets out here to debate?
By the way read the non answer I got back if you’re taking about nonsense posts

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Actually, he's getting equity for that $300mn. Glazers are agreeing to put that money towards the stadium instead of pocketing that amount.
Most likely it was a stipulation for the 300M specifically. No way they would have been allowed to pocket that 300M.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
But every year we've had stories saying that our budget is £xm for the summer. Are the press now admitting they had no clue all along?
If you read the athletic article, it seems like they approached every season with a budget and a price for every player. It also happens that everyone and their dog can bend Murtough and whichever class clown he hires that summer to lead negotiations over a barrel and a couple of defeats in the first two league games creates a circus where all sense goes out the window.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If you read the athletic article, it seems like they approached every season with a budget and a price for every player. It also happens that everyone and their dog can bend Murtough and whichever class clown he hires that summer to lead negotiations over a barrel and a couple of defeats in the first two league games creates a circus where all sense goes out the window.
Yeah I read the article. Shambolic. I think the panic buying of Casemiro and Antony for £160m has actually set us back worse than this summer.

cyberman

Ive said this every single summer. Not one source has ever got near the ballpark of our budget.
It wasn’t that we couldn’t afford a higher budget, it was always this is how much we are allowed to spend in terms of ffp. Thats not something that be fudged with a phone call to Joel Glazer

Status
Not open for further replies.