g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verminator

I am exposed to sport washing more then the typical 'most important' United fan did. The reason being that we Maltese tend to be exposed to two main Leagues (ie Serie A and the EPL) and the Serie A was literally shaped by sport washing (ie Agnelli-Juventus link is nearly as old as football itself). Back when I started to understand football the main guys were AC Milan. Berlusconi was sports washing in a big way at the time ie by hoarding the best players of my generation. Some of those players were way better to anyone I've ever seen in a United shirt. But that' an argument for another day.

Still I chose United because we were a properly run club who was successful through his means and did things the proper way. I was a bit pissed off when the Sky bid went tits up (mainly cause Edwards was skint and an ahole who was hated by each and every United fan I knew who was close to SAF) but I understood and I agreed the reason why it was stopped. United with Sky would have become unstoppable and that wasn't fair.

Then the Glazers bid for United. To my surprise the deal went through despite it would have crippled us massively. But that's not all. Soon enough new owners were allowed in. First it was Roman who was evident that he was shady from miles away, then Abu Dhabi and now Saudi. No one said anything about the unfair competition those people will bring in the EPL especially now that we were competing with 2 broken legs. The EPL gave the nod and soon enough the 'noisy neighbours' started becoming the most successful. The same rival fans we protected by keeping Sky out started laughing at our misery. No one gave a toss about our fortune and our debt. This should not come at a surprise considering how Beckham and Phil Nev were treated by the Ingerlund fans as opposed to how those same fans treated Seaman who made himself an utter fool of himself against Ronaldinho

I finally realised that actually I was being an hypocrite. I claim to be a United fan and yet I didn't put my club first in the name of competition. So I won't make that same mistake again. If United becomes unstoppable then I'd love every second of it. May we become the Bayern Munich of the EPL and the Real Madrid's version in the CL. I'd enjoy every second of it.
You forgot Taksin Shinawatra.
City are the first club to be bought twice by state money. First time it was embezzled.

Fluctuation0161

I have zero issue with the idea that he could have been supporting United in the early 90's or before.

It is however quite fortuitous that the year he became a United fan was '92, a year in the club's history that has already been heavily branded in recent times, allowing him to incorporate that concept into his his bid. And it will seem even more fortuitous if, purely hypothetically, any members of the class of 92 who have no issue taking Qatari money lend their name to this ownership group in the future.

But hey, maybe I'm just unfairly cynical about the sincerity of this totally-not-state-backed good samaritan with a mysterious pool of cash.
I'm also totally not cynical about Gary Neville recently doing the rounds heavily defending Manchesters City's ownership and their structure, despite their 100+ charges of cheating, a structure that could be similar to the Qatar ownership model. Does he have any business interests over there?

Fridge chutney

Quatar are a complete no-no. Nation state sports wash get fecked. This is the club of the Busby Babes. Of Newton Heath. Of Charlton, Law and Best. A club with soul. Ratcliffe sounds not great. Brexiteer, fracking, finger in many pies, Nice, etc. But the bubble will burst. No one knows how long before oil money, sportswash crashes into the law of diminishing returns. Better stay outside the plastic world. Better keep SOME vestige of dignity, while doing our best on the field and in the stands. The PR of both parties, mostly can be taken with a pinch of salt. Therefore I give a reluctant, uncertain, qualified yes to Ineos and Ratcliffe.
This is the camp i'm in right now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I am exposed to sport washing more then the typical 'most important' United fan did. The reason being that we Maltese tend to be exposed to two main Leagues (ie Serie A and the EPL) and the Serie A was literally shaped by sport washing (ie Agnelli-Juventus link is nearly as old as football itself). Back when I started to understand football the main guys were AC Milan. Berlusconi was sports washing in a big way at the time ie by hoarding the best players of my generation. Some of those players were way better to anyone I've ever seen in a United shirt. But that' an argument for another day.

Still I chose United because we were a properly run club who was successful through his means and did things the proper way. I was a bit pissed off when the Sky bid went tits up (mainly cause Edwards was skint and an ahole who was hated by each and every United fan I knew who was close to SAF) but I understood and I agreed the reason why it was stopped. United with Sky would have become unstoppable and that wasn't fair.

Then the Glazers bid for United. To my surprise the deal went through despite it would have crippled us massively. But that's not all. Soon enough new owners were allowed in. First it was Roman who was evident that he was shady from miles away, then Abu Dhabi and now Saudi. No one said anything about the unfair competition those people will bring in the EPL especially now that we were competing with 2 broken legs. The EPL gave the nod and soon enough the 'noisy neighbours' started becoming the most successful. The same rival fans we protected by keeping Sky out started laughing at our misery. No one gave a toss about our fortune and our debt. This should not come at a surprise considering how Beckham and Phil Nev were treated by the Ingerlund fans as opposed to how those same fans treated Seaman who made himself an utter fool of himself against Ronaldinho

I finally realised that actually I was being an hypocrite. I claim to be a United fan and yet I didn't put my club first in the name of competition. So I won't make that same mistake again. If United becomes unstoppable then I'd love every second of it. May we become the Bayern Munich of the EPL and the Real Madrid's version in the CL. I'd enjoy every second of it.

At least you are honest. :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'm also totally not cynical about Gary Neville recently doing the rounds heavily defending Manchesters City's ownership and their structure, despite their 100+ charges of cheating, a structure that could be similar to the Qatar ownership model. Does he have any business interests over there?
I think he’s probably just in favour of being able to do similar with his club.

Lrf

I can appreciate those who care more about football than who owns the club and therefore welcome the richest bidder, in this case Qatar.

I do not appreciate those who are doing mental gymnastics and are throwing out allegations of rasicm and whataboutism to defend the regime. This is what they want from buying United. There are thousands of Newcastle fans defending Saudi Arabia. There are tens of City fans defending the UAE. There will be millions of United fans defending Qatar just because they buy us nice things.

If we end up state owned I will be done supporting the club.

Member 101269

All this talk of sports washing.

How about social investing.... green washing?

RORY65

All this talk of sports washing.

How about social investing.... green washing?
Nobody thinks that any of the bidders will be good people (you don't have that wealth without almost certainly being a cnut) but there are varying degrees to it. Personally I don't think a state should own a football club and don't want them owning United.

Member 101269

Nobody thinks that any of the bidders will be good people (you don't have that wealth without almost certainly being a cnut) but there are varying degrees to it. Personally I don't think a state should own a football club and don't want them owning United.
There is no evidence a state has bid.

RORY65

There is no evidence a state has bid.
Apart from the guy who has bid being a relative of the emir, seemingly having nowhere near the assets to do so and the main shareholders of the bank of which he is the chairman being QIA.

Member 101269

Apart from the guy who has bid being a relative of the emir, seemingly having nowhere near the assets to do so and the main shareholders of the bank of which he is the chairman being QIA.
So no evidence of state bidding/ownership. Just you adding 2 + 2 together and getting way more than you should..

Dion

What you create in your mind is yours..
And you denying reality doesn't make it so.

A state actor, using state funds is state ownership. There's absolutely nothing about the absolute monarchy controlled economy of Qatar that makes private wealth on the scale required to buy United possible. It's a state bid obfuscated to get around dual ownership rules, even the most shameless of those who want the Qatar bid to succeed acknowledge this. You're kidding nobody.

Oh and @city-puma here's another one.

MTF

If he's not the state, then the bid should be dismissed from the off because he's a nobody who doesn't have 5 billy.

Member 101269

He’s separate from the state in the same way City’s sponsors are.
You're an expert in ME states and able to conduct comparison analysis?

And you denying reality doesn't make it so.

A state actor, using state funds is state ownership. There's absolutely nothing about the absolute monarchy controlled economy of Qatar that makes private wealth on the scale required to buy United possible. It's a state bid obfuscated to get around dual ownership rules, even the most shameless of those who want the Qatar bid to succeed acknowledge this. You're kidding nobody.
You seem to be making this up as you go along.

Dion

You seem to be making this up as you go along.
He's the son of the former PM, who works for a state owned bank, funded by a state owned SWF. You're lying to yourself because the truth is uncomfortable.

Member 101269

He's the son of the former PM, who works for a state owned bank, funded by a state owned SWF. You're lying to yourself because the truth is uncomfortable.
You don't know me from Adam, pull your comment in.

Many people have networks.. SJR is close to the UK government. That isn't evidence of funding, it's suggestion of historical networks.

cyberman

Two players who largely try to do the same thing. Balanced attacks don't work like that.
Worked for Madrid
Especially with Rashford as a 9 now. Both would finally have support on their breaks since someone else could keep up!

Dion

You don't know me from Adam, pull your comment in.

Many people have networks.. SJR is close to the UK government. That isn't evidence of funding, it's suggestion of historical networks.
Nope, no can do. It's abundantly obvious.

Being the son of the former PM and current employee of the state owned bank isn't "having historical networks". You know this, the truth is simply too embarrassing for you to admit.

AlPistacho

INEOS most profitable year was 2021, just when crude oil a key ingredient in 90% plus of its products were at lowest level prices due to the pandemic.

I’m curious to see how they do in 2022 and 2023 when Crude oil has been at highs.

Member 101269

Nope, no can do. It's abundantly obvious.

Being the son of the former PM and current employee of the state owned bank isn't "having historical networks". You know this, the truth is simply too embarrassing for you to admit.
That's suggestion of historical networks nothing more..

Member 101269

INEOS most profitable year was 2021, just when crude oil a key ingredient in 90% plus of its products were at lowest level prices due to the pandemic.

I’m curious to see how they do in 2022 and 2023 when Crude oil has been at highs.
Q3 reported profit is down approx. 500m

RORY65

That's suggestion of historical networks nothing more..
Those historical connections being currently being the main shareholders in the bank of which he is the chairman? Or historically, and in fact still currently, being a relative of the Emir?

SirAF

Ageist
This, fecking this :devil:

Dion

Ah yes, because relationships are static.
Being a current employee of the fund which is providing the money for the deal is not a historical relationship. You know this, you just can't admit publicly that it's a deal funded and driven by a state because ethically you find that uncomfortable.

And you should, it's abhorrent

Status
Not open for further replies.