Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueRed79

Qatar would bring a stain on this club that would be impossible to get rid of. No new owner would be perfect and i have nothing against Qatari people whatsoever. I just don't want a state owning a social institution like Utd. We just need good owners who would run this club properly. Do not need any help from an oil state.

HarryP

It isn't really a major split, not anywhere near 50:50 anyway.

I would say 70% of fans are supportive of a Qatari takeover.

30% are not supportive. But crucially, most of that 30% is pretty soft - only a very small proportion of United fans feel very strongly against a Qatari takeover. Maybe as low as 5%.

HarryP

Have @Wumminator and other members of the 5% confirmed yet whether they would prefer the Glazers to stay with investment from Elliot rather than a Qatari takeover?

stevoc

Can’t they be linked but not actually state owned?
If Boris Johnson’s offspring bought us would we be state owned?
I believe they’re all robbing bastards but can’t people on the outside be rich as well?
When Roman owned Chelsea did Russia own Chelsea? Were they state owned?
Am I asking too many questions?
I don't think you can really compare countries with populations of 65-150 million to a micro state with a population of 200,000.

And for what it's worth if Boris was the former king of England, uncle to the current king and his son the head of the bank of England then it would be a fairer comparison.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Can’t they be linked but not actually state owned?
If Boris Johnson’s offspring bought us would we be state owned?
I believe they’re all robbing bastards but can’t people on the outside be rich as well?
When Roman owned Chelsea did Russia own Chelsea? Were they state owned?
Am I asking too many questions?
It is interesting to compare the likes of Abramovich who quite clearly was strongly linked to Putin:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...on-roman-abramovich-over-clear-links-to-putin

And if we are talking politics then its worth noting that Jim Ratcliffe is one of the biggest donors to the Conservative Party and stong Brexiteer

So if we start talking about 'state owned' then the lines get quite blurry

Fact is that football is now far beyond the 'sportswashing' era and now into full scale geopolitics

cyberman

I don't think you can really compare countries with populations of 65-150 million to a micro state with a population of 200,000.

And for what it's worth if Boris was the former king of England, uncle to the current king and his son the head of the bank of England then it would be a fairer comparison.
Wouldn’t the rich micro state have a far higher chance of just having rich assholes profit off of the country rather than everybody being under the control of the state?
Again, I think it would be state owned but the possibility of rich assholes branching out on their own wouldn’t make us state owned.
It’s like Tories getting their mates rich with the WhatsApp group text.

Frankiekeane

Always thought it was crazy the fans protesting when Murdock wanted to take over, was gutted when the deal fell through! Look at us now, saddled with debt from the Glazers, how romantic!!

Last edited:

stevoc

Wouldn’t the rich micro state have a far higher chance of just having rich assholes profit off of the country rather than everybody being under the control of the state?
Again, I think it would be state owned but the possibility of rich assholes branching out on their own wouldn’t make us state owned.
It’s like Tories getting their mates rich with the WhatsApp group text.
Possibly and if this was just some successful businessman who just happened to be Qatari and had little or no links to the ruling family I'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

But it happens to be the cousin of the Emir, head of the QIB who's largest shareholder is the QIA, which his father used to run, who himself is the former Emir and former Prime Minister.

I mean yeah there's a chance this isn't a state bid. But I wouldn't put money on that. Its telling that no one in the media (that ive seen) seems to be pretending its anything other than a state bid.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Has there been any hint at who the other US bidders are yet, outside of Elliott? Thought there'd have at least been something leaked by now.

Sly1

"But his wealth is tied to the QIB, which is, in turn, 50% owned by the Qatari Investment Authority, the investment branch of Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund"

"The QIB chairman is the son of Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani,the powerful former emir of Qatar who was also a former head of the country's sovereign wealth fund".

These are total lies. These conspiracy theories don't deserve to be circulating on our platforms. Let's kindly find some time and crosscheck whatever we come across before presenting them as fact.

I have no qualms if you don't support the Sheikh 's bid but trying to spread falsehood about them is criminal.

This is in reference to Fluctuation0161 post.

Sly1

Qatar would bring a stain on this club that would be impossible to get rid of. No new owner would be perfect and i have nothing against Qatari people whatsoever. I just don't want a state owning a social institution like Utd. We just need good owners who would run this club properly. Do not need any help from an oil state.
So far,there is no proof that there is a bid from Qatar. No state is buying the club.

davidmichael

This is how I imagined the agreement to be between Raine and the Glazer’s so you’d imagine that basically guarantees a sale as Raine won’t have put this much effort and work into sourcing buyers and the legwork involved throughout if they had a single doubt that the Glazer’s were definitely selling, the whole talk of buying out the other siblings or investment through Elliott is a negotiating tactic to get more money in a sale.

Infra-red

Has there been any hint at who the other US bidders are yet, outside of Elliott? Thought there'd have at least been something leaked by now.
No. It has been speculated that Josh Harris and David Blitzer were weighing up an offer for a minority stake (via Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment) - they also lost out on the Chelsea bid and it has been written that some of the consortia who failed to buy Chelsea would try for United.

On Elliott, I believe they have simply offered financing for any potential bidder (and for Avi and Joel to buyout their siblings) rather than actually making a play for the club themselves.

I expect there will be a few interested parties from the US (both minortity stakes and full takeovers), but unlike Ineos and Qatar, they have chosen not to go public with their bids at this stage.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Man City, Newcastle, and PSG do not feel less about being the sports washing machine of horrible human rights countries. They see nothing wrong with it. It is the rest of the football world that judges them harshly. All MU fans could warm up to the idea, it would still be a sports washing machine for a horrible situation. Most of the fans here were very critical of the World Cup because of who hosted it. Now they might get a shiny new stadium and all is fine.

crossy1686

career ending
Article quote from an online publication:
1) Manchester United (3)
They’re going to be really proper good again, aren’t they? It’s not ideal for those of us who grew up through the Ferguson years, but at least there are ample silver linings. Erik Ten Hag is a good manager doing a good job and it’s nice to know that you weren’t losing your mind all those years wondering “Would Manchester United not be better off if they got a proper manager, though? Why don’t they just do that?” Marcus Rashford is the most in-form forward in world football, which is also good. And also Cristiano Ronaldo is in the mud. And Piers Morgan is in the mud.

Still, though, Manchester United being good instead of funny is a high price to pay. On current form should definitely end their own quite long trophy drought on Sunday in the Carabao and extend Newcastle’s extremely long one.
Never doubt where they would prefer us to be and don't misunderstand their current 'concerns' about our ownership.

Spoony

The People's President
Man City, Newcastle, and PSG do not feel less about being the sports washing machine of horrible human rights countries. They see nothing wrong with it. It is the rest of the football world that judges them harshly. All MU fans could warm up to the idea, it would still be a sports washing machine for a horrible situation. Most of the fans here were very critical of the World Cup because of who hosted it. Now they might get a shiny new stadium and all is fine.

Suppose it's as bad as being bank rolled by Putin. Oh.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Martin Samuel just brought up on Talksport about SJR trying to buy Chelsea and being a season ticket holder and if he is such a big United fan why did he not go and watch United. That he is a multi-billionaire so living in London is not an excuse.

ShinjiNinja26

Martin Samuel just brought up on Talksport about SJR trying to buy Chelsea and being a season ticket holder and if he is such a big United fan why did he not go and watch United. That he is a multi-billionaire so living in London is not an excuse.
This was blatantly obvious to everyone that isn’t blindly backing him due to their dislike of Qatar. Utd fan my arse!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If I was a billionaire residing in London I would still 100% get a season ticket and travel to Manchester to watch a few games a month.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
People have season tickets for multiple reasons - especially if the price doesn't even register. If it's your local club, it's a nice thing to have access to and from a business perspective it'll no doubt give him access to areas to negotiate/impress potential investors and customers by taking them to. It could also have been a comp season ticket too.

stevoc

This was blatantly obvious to everyone that isn’t blindly backing him due to their dislike of Qatar. Utd fan my arse!
Let's be honest whether or not Jim is a die hard United fan is neither here nor there. None of these guys trying to buy United are diehard United fans.

ShinjiNinja26

Let's be honest whether or not Jim is a die hard United fan is neither here nor there. None of these guys trying to buy United are diehard United fans.
You’re right it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, I just found it funny that there were people trying to claim he was a true Utd fan while justifying the fact he had a Chelsea season ticket. Like it’s not very easy for a billionaire to attend Utd games while staying in London if he wanted to. I mean there’s hundreds of regular working class folk that do it on a weekly basis without fuss.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
:rolleyes:

He was boycotting the Glazer ownership.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Well, I'm not sure how they could pay it off. £200m+ in repayments per annum. Just how?
the Elliot Group and others would be my concern. They seem to be willing to buy an minority stake and leave the Glazers in charge. Also there are rumours of others that have not gone public with similar offers. I really hope you are right and they have to go but they do seem to have an ability to bend things to suit their finances.

The Glazers out movement need to still keep making noise until they are gone even down to putting a spotlight on the like of the Elliot Group who i am sure don't want too much attention.

Telsim

Rumor has they are Oaktree and Liberty Media.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
No. It has been speculated that Josh Harris and David Blitzer were weighing up an offer for a minority stake (via Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment) - they also lost out on the Chelsea bid and it has been written that some of the consortia who failed to buy Chelsea would try for United.

On Elliott, I believe they have simply offered financing for any potential bidder (and for Avi and Joel to buyout their siblings) rather than actually making a play for the club themselves.

I expect there will be a few interested parties from the US (both minortity stakes and full takeovers), but unlike Ineos and Qatar, they have chosen not to go public with their bids at this stage.
I haven’t seen this anywhere other than RedCafe speculation.

The only thing I’ve seen is a minority investment which would keep the Glazers around, not specifically them buying out their siblings

Mr. Robot

I'm hoping you'll say this is someone significant who has recently worked for Raine, possibly on the Chelsea deal

But i'm guessing he's just a random guy?
Yes but he’s also a speaker of sense.

There’s far too much money and business relationships involved in this for the Glazers to just walk away from it.

enghuei

Cheats at Tetris
It's not the same situation. Maybe the below will help answer your questions?

In a statement confirming the bid, the sheik said the funds would come from the Nine Two Foundation, an entity of which there is little public record. But his wealth is tied to the QIB, which is, in turn, 50% owned by the Qatari Investment Authority, the investment branch of Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund. The QIB chairman is the son of Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the powerful former emir of Qatar who was also a former head of the country’s sovereign wealth fund.
https://qz.com/qatar-bid-manchester-united-glazer-jim-ratcliffe-ineos-1850136144
This is factually incorrect. QIA owns roughly 18% of the share, not 50%.

MTF

I do not see how they can use Elliot’s money to buy their siblings. It is just too much money, the debt would be not sustainable.

Unless it is part debt, part minority stake for Elliot.

In any case, if Elliot is involved, it will be the end of Glazers at United, cause the moment they will start missing payments (which they will), Elliot is gonna look to replace them. However, they can do a massive damage in meantime. As you said, selling the stadium could be on the card cause Elliot doesn’t give a feck about ethics of doing so.
I sometimes explain or some might say 'defend' what financial firms do given some familiarity with the business models, but when it comes to Elliott my impression is pretty much what you're saying: they just see $, and usually shorter-term $ at that, to be extracted painfully if necessary.

cyberman

Sure, yes. But it's bloody unlikely in this case.

Obviously not.

Obviously not.
Why not? Was Roman not in the position by being friends with Putin who had so much control over the money that he forces Oligarchs to do his bidding? The Oligarchs whose riches he using as a piggy bank to fund the war? That’s basically state owned in all but name if we’re using Qatar rules right?
I asked days ago if there’s any proof the royal family literally controls every investment by rich people from their region or can they not just ask permission? There is a big difference that just seems to be swatted away.
I have absolutely no doubt you need to have bloody good connections in the state or have a position of power to accumulate obscene wealth but there’s a little leap to go from that to the the royal family owning absolute everything

Status
Not open for further replies.