Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JagUTD

I’m assuming that they would create a new company and terms of the contract if one or two Glaziers remain because that would be untenable, I think this is SJR only chance a merger with Joel and Avram, at the clubs expense let’s hope it never comes to that !
:lol:

Only one perspective bidder appears to be considering working with the Glazers in any capacity and it's not Failsworths Finest.

stevoc

Think you you’re confused. These people in the article you posted are not living in government housing, how can they are there illegally. At the very least acknowledge your article is not related to Qatar’s mistreatment of labourers instead of coming up with “but they should investigate it” and a bunch of other hypothetical scenarios not mentioned in the article
Come on mate, be serious here.

Do you seriously think the Qatari government are unaware there are massive camps in Qatar housing tens of thousands of migrant workers in appalling conditions.

And the conversation we are having isn’t and hasn't been specifically about what that article covers. It drifted from your first few replies where you kept bringing up the UK for some reason. So you can't have your cake and eat it mate.

I'll ask again as you seemed keen earlier to wave away any criticism as propaganda. Do you have any defence for the appalling treatment and exploitation of hundreds of thousands of migrant workers (possibly millions over decades) in Qatar that the Qatari government turns a blind eye to?

MiamiSpartan

Something I haven't seen mentioned in here, though maybe I have missed it, but what possible impact could any potential reopening of the Saudi takeover of Newcastle have on any potential Qatari takeover of United?

Even if there isn't any action taken against Newcastle, could it still cause the Premier League to be more cautious in regards to future State backed takeovers claiming not to be State backed?
I could be wrong, but I think the state owned issue with Newcastle is the particular state that owns them, and specifically the state-ordered/MBS-ordered assassination of Khashoggi.

So I don't think that would affect a Qatari bid. And I'm against any state ownership, which the Qatari bid would be. I just don't think that's how we can hope for it to be denied.

RORY65

I could be wrong, but I think the state owned issue with Newcastle is the particular state that owns them, and specifically the state-ordered/MBS-ordered assassination of Khashoggi.

So I don't think that would affect a Qatari bid. And I'm against any state ownership, which the Qatari bid would be. I just don't think that's how we can hope for it to be denied.
I think the issue is that they insisted it wasn't under state control (despite the PIF being a sovereign wealth fund, presumably the Premier League don't know the definition of "sovereign"). Then when LIV golf got into a lawsuit with the PGA Tour they stated that they shouldn't be required to provide information for discovery as the PIF is "a sovereign instrumentality of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" and the Newcastle chairman is a "sitting minister of the Saudi government" which contradicted their previous assertion.

I don't think the issue is the particular state but that they had previously insisted that the PIF was separate from the state. I imagine that's part of the reason why this bid is being led by a guy who on the surface is far enough away from the state that such issues likely wouldn't arise.

Appletonred

Not sure the Glazers can afford to risk a 3rd round of bidding tbh, they will surely accept Qatar into the exclusivity part of the sale imminently.

lucas11

They just chose the sheikh as the preferred bidder, but its not happening bc the glazers dont want to give away the club for cheap, poor man ratcliffe is out

This wouldnt let me post a twitter link its on qatarifc

al tuna

$6b bid formally put in for Washington Commanders in NFL, news breaking in the States. Bid meets Snyder's evaluation. I genuinely have no idea what to expect though since Snyder is a total maniac and highly unpredictable. How he's lasted this long is unreal with the amount of nonsense he's been a part of over the last few decades.

Wonder if this will have the least bit of an impact for United's process. Probably not.

Giggsyking

There is no proof it is or isn't. But 100% it is. It is how business is done in the region.

The Qatari bidders aren't even trying to claim it is their own cash. They are getting it (they claim) from a mysterious foundation - The Nine Two Foundation. I wonder who owns that?

And the bidder himself is wealthy (but almost certainly not that wealthy) from his role in QIB which is 50% owned by the Qatari Investment Authority which is part of the Qatari wealth fund. Everything on such a big scale involves the state.

Oh yes - and the QIF already own PSG so they need to distance themselves from the United bid as they would have to sell PSG otherwise.
16%

Skills

Snitch
$6b bid formally put in for Washington Commanders in NFL, news breaking in the States. Bid meets Snyder's evaluation. I genuinely have no idea what to expect though since Snyder is a total maniac and highly unpredictable. How he's lasted this long is unreal with the amount of nonsense he's been a part of over the last few decades.

Wonder if this will have the least bit of an impact for United's process. Probably not.
NFL franchises are far more profitable than European football clubs due to the salary cap. Apples against oranges.

Packers for instance made 70m dollars in profit in 2021. That's the only franchise that publishes their numbers. Thats a small market team so the likes of Washington probably make double that.

George The Best

Can you elaborate on what the 'exclusivity' period means? Does this lock out other potential bidders or is it the end game?
Not necessarily the ‘end game’ but both parties would hope to finalise the deal within it. An exclusivity period is usually a limited, set amount of time, by which the seller and one bidder try to negotiate a deal at the exclusion of all other interested parties. If no deal is reached by the set deadline then the field is opened up again to other interested parties. The only problem I see with this is, that to have a meaningful negotiation both parties need to put their cards on the table at the outset. So far, as best as is known, the Glazers have not given their asking price to any of the bidders. It is usually a relatively short period though, 2 - 8 weeks normally, sometimes up to 12 weeks but I wouldn’t expect it to be that long in this case - if it gets to an exclusivity stage at all.

AlPistacho

Come on mate, be serious here.

Do you seriously think the Qatari government are unaware there are massive camps in Qatar housing tens of thousands of migrant workers in appalling conditions.

And the conversation we are having isn’t and hasn't been specifically about what that article covers. It drifted from your first few replies where you kept bringing up the UK for some reason. So you can't have your cake and eat it mate.

I'll ask again as you seemed keen earlier to wave away any criticism as propaganda. Do you have any defence for the appalling treatment and exploitation of hundreds of thousands of migrant workers (possibly millions over decades) in Qatar that the Qatari government turns a blind eye to?
Nope. Don’t gaslight. The article was posted. I pointed out that the article is about people falling victim to visa scams and is a criminal matter. You started talking about “well if the Qatari government cared they’d investigate”

So i pointed out that every country has criminality (to varying levels) and you don’t know what they Investigate.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I knew it would be them as soon as twitter was mentioned.

They said Jassim had a private agreement with the Glazers about a week before bids closed. Avoid like the plague
Yeah definitely, all "rumours of hearing from twitter" are stemming from this account.

Telsim

We won't hear anything for a while. Raine will have to examine the offers and present them to the Glazers. And then who even knows what's the situation within their family? Credible reports they aren't on the same page regarding the sale, so probably some "Succession" shit behind the scenes. Besides, Keegan reported a third stage around Easter is fully expected.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We won't hear anything for a while. Raine will have to examine the offers and present them to the Glazers. And then who even knows what's the situation within their family? Credible reports they aren't on the same page regarding the sale, so probably some "Succession" shit behind the scenes. Besides, Keegan reported a third stage around Easter is fully expected.
With that pace, this will not end until June.

stevoc

Nope. Don’t gaslight. The article was posted. I pointed out that the article is about people falling victim to visa scams and is a criminal matter. You started talking about “well if the Qatari government cared they’d investigate”

So i pointed out that every country has criminality (to varying levels) and you don’t know what they Investigate.
Which had nothing to with the article, the topic or Qatar.

So you can't make any reasonable defence of Qatar's treatment of migrant workers but you don't want to admit that, I thought as much.

cyberman

Wouldn’t Elliott have to value United at 6b to be considered viable for investment?

AlPistacho

Which had nothing to with the article, the topic or Qatar.

So you can't make any reasonable defence of Qatar's treatment of migrant workers but you don't want to admit that, I thought as much.
Not quite sure what you don’t understand. An article about visa scams in Qatar was posted in a misleading context about Qatar’s treatment of migrants. I pointed out that the article was about criminality. People then started talking but “but what about the camps (which no longer exists)” or more ridiculously “well if the Qatari government cared they’d investigate and stop it” how else stevoc, how else, am I supposed to get the point across that crime & scams exists everywhere.

If you hold Qatar responsible & claim it doesn’t investigate crimes in its country then apply the same standard to every country.

Or just acknowledge that the post was posted in a misleading light and isn’t the stick you’re looking for to beat the state with.

Status
Not open for further replies.