Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosws87

To be fair the thought of United + Qatar must be terrifying for other clubs.
Cause it is, they will be saying the same stuff as us i'd rather be owned by blah, morals, morals morals.

Put the shoe on the other foot and this was Liverpool we could say anything we want about their owners and how terrible they are, but theres gonna be a good number of people petrified.

Only have to see the quick turnaround since we have been up for sale to see there is a sizeable portion of people that just scream about how they would never join the darkside until the darkside chooses them, then its all good.

stevoc

That's the POV of a British citizen (I presume). It might not be the POV of these people. I don't know Qatari people but I do know alot of Arabs and they tend to be generous but proud people. A slight like that will sting like a slap in the face. Would they stop selling gas to the UK? I doubt it. However I won't be surprise if investment in the UK will be greatly reduced. Also watch up the price of gas soaring
I'm Irish. I think you're overestimating how angry the Qatari's would be at a decision made by a private entity like the Premier League. Sure they'd be disappointed but they aren't going to damage international relations with one of their biggest trading partners over a football club and a decision that government had nothing to do with. But anyway it's a moot point as these new regulations likely won't affect the Qatari bid as it's being presented as a private endeavour anyway.

cyberman

Not at all, this isnt necessarily an issue of legality, and Id like to think that the FA could hold people to a higher set of standards than the government.
It was the government that pressured the FA into allowing the Saudi deal.
I wouldn’t read too much into it

stevoc

This is likely to be the case but I do wonder what those hoping for Qatari ownership would think if this actually forced City and Newcastles owners to sell up because their owners were banned.

Many here feel that the only way to compete with these States is to join them, so in the hypothetical scenario where those owners were banned, would they have they same appetite for Qatar?
Possibly not mate as I've read a lot of people on here say they think state backing is the only way we can compete. Though that's something I don't necessarily agree with.

cyberman

If you think this will apply to Qatar and Manchester United, I have a bridge to sell you. They just had a world cup there FFS. Qatar will run the game in the next decade.
Exactly. By all accounts this simply affects Russian owning an EPL club.

JagUTD

We are talking about disqualification of a business deal based on human rights, not about criticizing it on caf.
It's all part of the same on going debate in this thread. And I've given my view on dealing with nations who have the ability to cause us economic harm if they don't like something.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't deal with any nation that is guilty of systemic human rights abuses but none of us are naive enough to think that will ever be a reality.

Infra-red

Ah that's an elegant way how to hide the hypocrisy. I wonder how the government would act towards the FA if these nations decide not to invest + sell oil and gas to the UK because of it
Norway is our largest supplier of oil and gas to be fair. 50% of our oil imports and 75% of our gas imports come from Norway.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
The financial report as broken down by Sky Sports today just really emphasizes how shocking these owners have been for our club. 18 years and no debt reduction, actually after the borrowing of the past year we are now at around 700m in debt. Can't wait for them to go.

Teja

Put the shoe on the other foot and this was Liverpool we could say anything we want about their owners and how terrible they are, but theres gonna be a good number of people petrified.
I would just give up on football if Liverpool had Qatar and City had Abu Dhabi.

Member 125398

Ok, then: transnational associations (as written in their own statute) is one thing… supranational associations (behaving like states themselves, as your posts seem to imply) are a really different sort, pretty much out of the statute. Both are based in Switzerland and, as such, potentially liable to the Swiss government rule, in case things get sour and they become a nuisance.
I'm not really sure what you're on about but, if you're unhappy about football associations, then surely having better checks and balances on the members of those associations is a good thing.

Spoony

The People's President
The financial report as broken down by Sky Sports today just really emphasizes how shocking these owners have been for our club. 18 years and no debt reduction, actually after the borrowing of the past year we are now at around 700m in debt. Can't wait for them to go.
Can't believe they were allowed to buy club. Screw the fans eh.

stevoc

Presumably they have voted for it too? I’d think both City and Newcastle will be fine, as would a Qatar takeover of United. (Unfortunately)
Of course they will my post was tongue in cheek mate Because no regulation regarding human rights abuses that is actually worth anything would ever be voted in by Abu Dhabi/Saudi Arabia and a fair few clubs still hoping to win the Oil State lottery.

Member 125398

That's the POV of a British citizen (I presume). It might not be the POV of these people. I don't know Qatari people but I do know alot of Arabs and they tend to be generous but proud people. A slight like that will sting like a slap in the face. Would they stop selling gas to the UK? I doubt it. However I won't be surprise if investment in the UK will be greatly reduced. Also watch up the price of gas soaring
If you want to stock up on wood, there's a poster on here who has a lot of land and a bit of a leaf problem. I'm guessing he wouldn't mind losing a few trees.

stevoc

Norway is our largest supplier of oil and gas to be fair. 50% of our oil imports and 75% of our gas imports come from Norway.
And that's just Gas imports as I believe the UK produces 50% of its own Gas that it uses annually.

The UK isn't at all reliant on Qatar for Gas.

Infra-red

And that's just Gas imports as I believe the UK produces 50% of its own Gas that it uses annually.

The UK isn't at all reliant on Qatar for Gas.
Yes, correct, about half the gas the UK consumes is sourced domestically (from the UK's North Sea reserves).

Bosws87

Wow didn’t know we had 150k people on the seasons ticket waiting list!
We don’t it’s a myth, if you ring up the day after or just before renewals you can always get a season ticket.

That’s why the list never gets any smaller.

Mr. Robot

biggest clue they are selling is "Glazers are not taking dividends"
Exactly this. How anyone still thinks that the Glazers are still considering staying on at Utd is beyond me. The club is skint thanks to these parasites and they're going to make a huge amount of cash by selling.

If I was Joel or Avram, I wouldn't dream of keeping the club after the financials which were released today. Why would they want to stay? It makes no sense. They're all about money and they've bled the club dry - there are no more unicorns or chocolate rainbows to ride. It's over. @HarryP

JagUTD

Who's stressing though?

Maybe the Caf can chip together for a bottle of radox for them. Help them relax.

TsuWave

Seriously though, if you are private - prove it! I’m sure you’d garner a lot more support.
support to buy a privately owned asset? Doesn't he just need the money?

haven't most fan polls favoured his bid anyway, as it stands?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Nearly 1000 pages with no actual relatively reliable information in thread about the sale.
This is getting as good as the DeJong saga

Castia

He. Is. Worried! :wenger:

Seriously though, if you are private - prove it! I’m sure you’d garner a lot more support.
Doesn’t need more support he’s the overwhelming favourite?

Jim and his potential of keeping us 600m+ in debt can get fecked in all honesty

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
How does he prove that he is private?
Show us where the funding is coming from. Prove he has the private capital to fund the bid. Explain how he has made his billions.
Maybe, you know, show his face in public or release a video or something.
Even his spokespeople can’t answer basic questions about him. It’s not good enough to just say “I’m private, honest mate - trust me!”

Status
Not open for further replies.