Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor trail

I'm not sure, it sounds like wishful thinking. Maybe I'm just being sceptical but the idea of Qatari owners looking at their new playtoy football club including a strong women's team, and then thinking they should go and increase women's rights back home, seems far-fetched.

I'd love to see it happen, don't get me wrong, but it seems like something more intended to raise the rep of the country as a whole rather than making them fix things?
I don't see how the things go hand in hand it's an investment nothing more. I don't understand this revolutionist theory that if a certain buyer purchases a club they must change their own philosophies / laws to conform because it's an investment. There are valid issues within their own countries rightly so but this can be said about almost every nation that is in existence today.

Football for example includes diversity and inclusion (races, ethnicities etc) and there are various relative financial institutions around club infrastructure who in their executive fields of hierarchy lack diversity so must football enforce that any club that has ties with any of world leading private bank have them reform their policies to ensure they are compliant with diversity in their corporate structures as a reflection ? The same can be said for brands that create kits, boots and sponsors who somehow will use unfair trading practices in less developed countries to help bolster profit margins and use trade policies to import those products and distribute them. If that's the case then cull Cadbury as a partner because most cocoa comes from poverty ridden farmers in Africa who are paid pittance and enforce child labour while these companies reap profits in the billions. Why are there no threads on this ?

The reality is that the world is inherently flawed and if there's extravagance to ostracize one don't forget the rest.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The club was always going to be sold. Never believed the talk of minority ownership. That’s doesn’t do anything for the Glazers.
One look at the books and what needs to be done and you can see the Glazers have little choice.
You also don’t bring in FAs and waste a bunch of people’s time. You’ll never sell anything again.

Infra-red

The club was always going to be sold. Never believed the talk of minority ownership. That’s doesn’t do anything for the Glazers.
One look at the books and what needs to be done and you can see the Glazers have little choice.
You also don’t bring in FAs and waste a bunch of people’s time. You’ll never sell anything again.
The are four prospective minority owners through to the second round...

DownRiver

Financial question: would the glazers prefer a bid which pays off the debt that they initially created, or one which lets the debt keep going?

Any impact on future ventures in which they can borrow money to pay for?

Infra-red

Financial question: would the glazers prefer a bid which pays off the debt that they initially created, or one which lets the debt keep going?

Any impact on future ventures in which they can borrow money to pay for?
Makes no difference to the Glazers either way and they won't care what any prospective owner's future plans for the club are. The debt is the club's obligation, not the Glazers'. Highest bid wins.

Gazza

We enter the endgame…

Soon United will be owned by people who simply want the club at the top of the game without debt and with a competent infrastructure that can support the club at the top for decades to come.

Some will be upset with the morals of our owners home country and their human rights records however it should be distinguished from what is ultimately a sporting project in a country that has its own moralistic issues.

Sports and Politics often overlap but it should only be highlighted for good. If the powers that be in Qatar see how we operate in the UK and understand how the women’s teams for example is a shining beacon of success and how equal opportunities can flourish I am confident they will be inspired and look to improve at home issues.

However football is football, escapism, 90mins of passion energy and dreams I believe Jassim an co represent that vision and share the belief we all have that United can be at the top of the pile with the right support.

I find myself excited of the prospect of being at the top table again and having the means to do things the right way on and off the pitch.

I really hope the Qatari approved Shiek Jassim Al Thani bid wins and begin planning for one of the most exciting summers in 17 years.

LETS GO
I mean, just say you want your team to be successful and you don't care about discussing Qatar's political/human rights issues? The bolded part is just naive mealy-mouthing.

Mr. Robot

I mean, just say you want your team to be successful and you don't care about discussing Qatar's political/human rights issues? The bolded part is just naive mealy-mouthing.
Oh don't start this again, this thread is actually readable today.

red thru&thru

Webby and O'Neil (are these fellas connect to the club?) think that the deal could be in jeapordy. Although its probably just a lure to get us to click on their video.

I liks O'Neil. Wears his heart on his sleeve. But I couldn't take him seriously in this one, as he kept calling Jassim, Jasmine! Haha

Also, I'm not too sure why he thought the sale is in jeopardy? Anyhow, sale is happening.

stevoc

After the fall of the USSR there was a school of thought that integrating Russia with the West via business and politics could spark a change in their culture with regards to laws, human rights etc. Not only did that obviously fail spectacularly the opposite has probably been true.

This is the same sort of thinking.

red thru&thru

The logic is not sound.
Qatar set up a women’s national team to satisfy the FIFA requirements for hosting the World Cup.
In FIFA’s 30-plus-page bid evaluation report of Qatar, in the section about developing the sport, Qatar outlined its commitment to the “promotion of women’s football, including creation of special facilities.”
The team played its first matches in a tournament in 2010 and were beaten 18-0, 17-0 and 12-0. They haven’t played a game since 2014 and have dropped out of the FIFA rankings as a result.
In Qatar, the disappearance of the women’s team was in many ways an old, familiar story: When it came to resource allocation, men’s soccer came first.
That’s hardly a glowing endorsement of women’s football, which is concerning for Utd women’s supporters when important players like Russo are out of contract. It’s also indicative of women’s importance in Qatari society which running United is unlikely to change.
How are the PSG ladies getting on?

UDontMessWith24

I've noticed that "play thing" or "play toy" has become a very popular buzz term. Can someone explain to me the practical implications of being one in the context of a football club?

Mr. Robot

I am not starting anything and you can always ignore it. But for your benefit I will leave it there.
I actually enjoy your posts mate, I mean no offence. I'm just so fed up with the same repetetive arguments. I'm not partcularly fond of the idea of a state owning Utd either but this thread should surely just be for updates and news now? We've all had our say and shared our feelings on a potential Middle Eastern ownership.

UDontMessWith24

That would be a fascinating discussion, but let's start with throwing everything they own or and everyone they're in bed with (not literally) on the table before we begin that discussion.

Gazza

After the fall of the USSR there was a school of thought that integrating Russia with the West via business and politics could spark a change in their culture with regards to laws, human rights etc. Not only did that obviously fail spectacularly the opposite has probably been true.

This is the same sort of thinking.
But let's not talk about any of that, because this thread is for news only, or something...

MTF

I've noticed that "play thing" or "play toy" has become a very popular buzz term. Can someone explain to me the practical implications of being one in the context of a football club?
Most common one would be an owner that gets too personally involved in decision making, overriding whatever hierarchy is in place to run the club. Buying X player because they like them, sacking Y manager because they had a falling out (maybe over the manager not playing player X). The overall situation where the owner is in a sense bigger than the club, and feels no compunction about interfering in anything big or small.

Also in the context of being owned by a nation state, the club being used in promoting that nation state. So in the case of PSG they always do a few friendlies in the winter in the Middle East. It's not inherently bad for the club, but I imagine there's no discussion as to whether it's the best decision for the team.

Gazza

I actually enjoy your posts mate, I mean no offence. I'm just so fed up with the same repetetive arguments. I'm not partcularly fond of the idea of a state owning Utd either but this thread should surely just be for updates and news now? We've all had our say and shared our feelings on a potential Middle Eastern ownership.
This is the takeover discussion thread in a discussion forum. It doesn't say anywhere that it's for news and updates only. If you want news and updates, I would suggest you go to news sources. Just a suggestion, since you're so fed up with the discussion here?

Just because "we've had our say" doesn't mean the discussion is over. People who are Pro-Qatari bid want the discussion to be over so they can move on from tricky moral discussions and focus on which players we're gonna buy with the state-backed wealth.

red thru&thru

Not a clue, why don’t you enlighten me?
Ah, I just thought you'd know as you're so educated on Qatar and the way they deal with women’s football, as you highlighted with the national team.

I just thought you may know about the PSG ladies team.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can't wait for this to be over to be honest. The endless bollocks debate is doing my nut in. I come into this thread hoping for some kind of factual developments being reported and discussed. Instead the same old bickering and bullshit.
I’d suggest using the live tweet feature and filter to United only

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Ah, I just thought you'd know as you're so educated on Qatar and the way they deal with women’s football, as you highlighted with the national team.

I just thought you may know about the PSG ladies team.
I don’t support PSG, therefore have very little interest in either their men’s or women’s teams - apart from when United are knocking them out of the CL :smirk:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This is the takeover discussion thread in a discussion forum. It doesn't say anywhere that it's for news and updates only. If you want news and updates, I would suggest you go to news sources. Just a suggestion, since you're so fed up with the discussion here?

Just because "we've had our say" doesn't mean the discussion is over. People who are Pro-Qatari bid want the discussion to be over so they can move on from tricky moral discussions and focus on which players we're gonna buy with the state-backed wealth.
It is absolutely insane to which the extent some people want to ignore the horrendous elephant in the room. The people buying and owning our football club have raised money through the oppression and state backed murder of vulnerable people. This will never go away. This will never be something that will be ignored. If you don’t like discussing this, then the next few years will be horrendous.

Member 125398

We enter the endgame…

Soon United will be owned by people who simply want the club at the top of the game without debt and with a competent infrastructure that can support the club at the top for decades to come.

Some will be upset with the morals of our owners home country and their human rights records however it should be distinguished from what is ultimately a sporting project in a country that has its own moralistic issues.

Sports and Politics often overlap but it should only be highlighted for good. If the powers that be in Qatar see how we operate in the UK and understand how the women’s teams for example is a shining beacon of success and how equal opportunities can flourish I am confident they will be inspired and look to improve at home issues.

However football is football, escapism, 90mins of passion energy and dreams I believe Jassim an co represent that vision and share the belief we all have that United can be at the top of the pile with the right support.

I find myself excited of the prospect of being at the top table again and having the means to do things the right way on and off the pitch.

I really hope the Qatari approved Shiek Jassim Al Thani bid wins and begin planning for one of the most exciting summers in 17 years.

LETS GO
Are you not concerned that we could end up in the same position as City?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So are the Yankee leeches in Manchester too, or is it the club hierarchy (Arnie and Johnny M) giving the tour? That would seem odd given that it was reported a few weeks ago that people over here were in the dark about the whole process…..
Fletch is the tour guy

Status
Not open for further replies.