g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosws87

Is there anything to be read into the fact that the Qatari’s haven’t just gazumped all other bidders to bypass all these added rounds of bidding?

Maybe the data room numbers made for grim viewing in terms of our future earnings/expenditures.
It’s more reassuring they haven’t it’s not a great look if they just chucked money at it, as this would only come back to bite United whenever they tried to dip into the transfer market etc.

The fact they aren’t panicking or just chucking money at it should be reassuring, from all parties.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
it’s like an episode of succession this Man Utd take over (for those who have seen that brilliant series).

ManRed

If Ineos wins then the pressure on them will be huge from the start as they are not the fan favorites. If they dont deliver within 2-3 years I expect similar glazer type pressure on them too.

Do we know the date of final sale announcement?

dinostar77

Really? Sceptical it would be decided over a bank holiday though it may not be in the US.
Its bollocks. Utd are a listed company on NYSE. Legally they have to report any major news like this to the NYSE first.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So how do we think the MUFC stock will react to the news when the NYSE reopens today? My trading App says After Hours price is up 3.24% which is weird considering the stock was tanking with news the Glazers might be staying. This is the most concrete news we have had yet that they are likely staying in some capacity.

Presumably this is the reaction to them not raising capital to stay on as majority shareholders?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If Ineos wins then the pressure on them will be huge from the start as they are not the fan favorites. If they dont deliver within 2-3 years I expect similar glazer type pressure on them too.

Do we know the date of final sale announcement?
No one is winning just yet. This round was designed to chose a preferred bidder. Which reports suggest will be chosen in the next week or so. Then the Glazers will get into detailed negotiations with that preferred bidder and that can take days or months. There's no guarantee even then they will come to a deal.

But most likely if a preferred bidder is chosen I think we will know by the end of May what the outcome is and I think if a sale goes ahead, it'll probably be announced around the end of the current season.

stw2022

Because thats not how businesses work. INEOS is a seperate entity to Utd. The same debt model we have now will continue under ratcliffe.
And Ineos has debt obligations and repayments to meet itself. So it is utterly fanciful to think Ineos funds will be used to clear ours.

As you know - as anyone who isn't living in a fantasy world knows - the purchase of United will be largely funded by borrowing that it will ultimately be the clubs finanical obligation to pay for.

Ineos cannot afford to buy United outright. Not even close. Those who think it does need to understand that 'revenue' isn't the same as 'having money'

Barthez

So it’s all over and INEOS won then by all accounts. Should be a busy day ahead today as details come through hopefully

dinostar77

And Ineos has debt obligations and repayments to meet itself. So it is utterly fanciful to think Ineos funds will be used to clear ours.

As you know - as anyone who isn't living in a fantasy world knows - the purchase of United will be largely funded by borrowing that it will ultimately be the clubs finanical obligation to pay for.

Ineos cannot afford to buy United outright. Not even close. Those who think it does need to understand that 'revenue' isn't the same as 'having money'
Exactly with ratcliffe we are swapping american glazers for an english one.

They are going to borrow the money to finance the deal and saddle Utd with the debt of repaying it at a time when cheap borrowing of finance is t possible. Sheikh Jassim bid is the one that would be best for utd and its future. Ineos bid is best for glazers.

From Ineos own investor page about ineos finances.

https://www.ineos.com/investor-relations/trading-statements/trading-statement-q2-2022/#:~:text=Net debt was approximately €,the end of June 2022.

Net debt was approximately €5.2 billion at the end of June 2022 (including the Gemini Term Loan). Cash balances at the end of the quarter were €2,698 million, and availability under undrawn working capital facilities was €781 million. Net debt leverage was approximately 1.4 times as at the end of June 2022.

Roboc7

It’s not fanciful though and I’m sure any debt repayments will be funded by other companies in the INEOS group. It would t make any sense to spend so much on Utd and then expect the club to be able to fund debt, would be a completely pointless endeavour.

INEOS will have billions of debt already I’m sure, this will be something they’ve budgeted for and it won’t be anything like the debt that Glazers have saddled the club with.

dinostar77

It’s not fanciful though and I’m sure any debt repayments will be funded by other companies in the INEOS group. It would t make any sense to spend so much on Utd and then expect the club to be able to fund debt, would be a completely pointless endeavour.

INEOS will have billions of debt already I’m sure, this will be something they’ve budgeted for and it won’t be anything like the debt that Glazers have saddled the club with.
INEOS are a listed company, and have shareholders they have to report to. They can't just put billions of debt repayment onto one of their companies in their group. The board would lose thier jobs and they would have shareholder revolt which would hit the shareprice and their market capital.

If your a shareholder in the Ineos group and not a utd fan, why would you care about ineos spending so much money on a ego trip for their CEO? You wouldnt. You'd be up in arms about the proposed purchase.

Ratcliffe is going to do a leveraged buyout just like the glazers did.

stw2022

Why would Ineos investors allow that the happen? Why would Jim himself double the already massive debt burden on a (comparatively) hugely profitable company to buy one that isn't?

Why would he risk financial and industrial confidence in his crown jewel business by doubling its debt burden overnight simply to buy a football club that will not benefit that company's investors, clients, partners, reputation at all and will actually put the company in greater monetaetrisk and greater debt?

Sorry but I think the desperation to get rid of the Glazers is having people believe some very silly, and very fanciful things about how any Ratcliffe deal to purchase United will be structured and paid for.

Woodzy

Is there anything decent to suggest that Jim is the front runner or is everything just based on the higher valuation on the share price? Everyone seems to be calling this done but I’ve seen feck all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
INEOS are a listed company, and have shareholders they have to report to. They can't just put billions of debt repayment onto one of their companies in their group. The board would lose thier jobs and they would have shareholder revolt which would hit the shareprice and their market capital.

If your a shareholder in the Ineos group and not a utd fan, why would you care about ineos spending so much money on a ego trip for their CEO? You wouldnt. You'd be up in arms about the proposed purchase.

People will rightfully tell you that the shareholders are Ratcliffe and two other people, that's not the issue with what people are suggesting. The issue is the industry that INEOS is in, it's an industry that burns cash through operating expenses, especially in terms of research and infrastructures. INEOS is an actual company that needs money to operate, they can't bleed it.

stw2022

Eve IF Ratcliffe manages to roll the debt burden of both entities into one, what do you think the odds of Ineos paying interest repayments that a few years ago were £300m a year just with their own debt burden, and we'll be allowed to build a new stadium and spunk £125m on a world class striker?

Being owned by Ratcliffe will see our spending restrictions where everyone scaremonged they were under the Glazers, but never actually were.

Marcelinho87

People are getting themselves into a mess over the word debt.

750m debt with the Glazers is different to 750m debt with someone else.

The Glazers had no intention of clearing that debt as it would cost them real money, they only wanted to take.

I would assume (yes I don't know for sure like anybody else) that INEOS/ SJR would approach the debt differently and look towards clearing it over time.

What I am saying is if managed properly then the debt itself isn't an issue, just the Glazers left it to rot and grow.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Exactly with ratcliffe we are swapping american glazers for an english one.

They are going to borrow the money to finance the deal and saddle Utd with the debt of repaying it at a time when cheap borrowing of finance is t possible. Sheikh Jassim bid is the one that would be best for utd and its future. Ineos bid is best for glazers.

From Ineos own investor page about ineos finances.

https://www.ineos.com/investor-relations/trading-statements/trading-statement-q2-2022/#:~:text=Net debt was approximately €,the end of June 2022.

Net debt was approximately €5.2 billion at the end of June 2022 (including the Gemini Term Loan). Cash balances at the end of the quarter were €2,698 million, and availability under undrawn working capital facilities was €781 million. Net debt leverage was approximately 1.4 times as at the end of June 2022.
The only palatable way for this to work for me is if Ineos and Ratcliffe are planning to make their money and pay off the debt through a future sale of the asset, so any profit is purely asset appreciation in the long run.

We'd still be limited compared to what Qatar are offering but it won't be that big of a deal.

Roboc7

Why would Ineos investors allow that the happen? Why would Jim himself double the already massive debt burden on a (comparatively) hugely profitable company to buy one that isn't?

Why would he risk financial and industrial confidence in his crown jewel business by doubling its debt burden overnight simply to buy a football club that will not benefit that company's investors, clients, partners, reputation at all and will actually put the company in greater monetaetrisk and greater debt?

Sorry but I think the desperation to get rid of the Glazers is having people believe some very silly, and very fanciful things about how any Ratcliffe deal to purchase United will be structured and paid for.
Saying INEOS will be doubling their debt by borrowing all 5bn is an extremely silly thing to say and total nonsense.

The INEOS co -owners were at Old Trafford for the due diligence so safe to assume they are all well aware of what’s going on. They spend a lot of money on sport through ownership and sponsorship. They have their reasons whatever they are.

I’m sure whatever INEOS borrow will keep their debt ratio at a level they are comfortable with.

stw2022

The Glazers had no intention of clearing that debt as it would cost them real money, they only wanted to take.

I would assume (yes I don't know for sure like anybody else) that INEOS/ SJR would approach the debt differently and look towards clearing it over time.

What I am saying is if managed properly then the debt itself isn't an issue, just the Glazers left it to rot and grow.
Look at how Ineos manages their own debt. They just pay the interest, exactly the same as the Glazers.

To be fair as does every sensible business. Debt for corporations isn't like a credit card to pay down and then plan on buying a new TV. It's a rolling credit facility to fund an ongoing concern.

The Glazers managed United's debt like anyone else would.

Roboc7

The INEOS co -owners were at Old Trafford as part of the ownership due diligence etc, they’re on board.

At the end of the day if the Qatari’s have bottled it or were never that serious there is no bottomless pit of cash arriving. Debt will be part of the club’s future one way or another. I am sure INEOS have plans to spend and invest one way or another.

Last edited:

stw2022

Saying INEOS will be doubling their debt by borrowing all 5bn is an extremely silly thing to say and total nonsense.
Ineos already have debt of £4.6bn. Where does a company that owes £4.6bn find £5bn from to buy something else and not double its debt burden?

El Presidente

And who's paying for that? We must be the only club that is paying for their own buyout not once, but twice in the last 20 years.

Reactions: 711

KnowNowt

Yeh that’s not right the times haven’t released any such article, they just went with the headline that Jim was pricing the shares at a higher value which is standard business practice for a smaller percentage.
Eve IF Ratcliffe manages to roll the debt burden of both entities into one, what do you think the odds of Ineos paying interest repayments that a few years ago were £300m a year just with their own debt burden, and we'll be allowed to build a new stadium and spunk £125m on a world class striker?

Being owned by Ratcliffe will see our spending restrictions where everyone scaremonged they were under the Glazers, but never actually were.

Long post – apologies

The game I see is that the incumbents (4 Glazers - goers + 2 Glazers - stayers) may sell the club or at least a controlling portion of it to JR or SJ. Clearly they will decide who wins purely on their perceived money values of offers and nothing else. Someone had put some figures to this and come up with the goers getting £575m each and that the stayers will get £700m each. This is a useful exercise to give us some idea. If I was in goers group I’d say Yeah, right - think again guys. We'll soon see that the arrangement needs to be such that they all get the same price per share, the goers and the stayers. So they need to pool the loot in some appropriate manner. They all need to be happy.

Now the stayers are to be in a position where they will have a minority (10% each is bandied about) with special sweet deals if selling at a prearranged price within a stipulated time. If the goers see any inequity in this part of the transaction, they will want a slice of that loot too from the stayers.

From where JR is sitting we could assume that he sees something like the £575m and £750m given to each one of the 2 groups. He sees that as - once the goers are paid up (£575m each) the stayers remain and they need a higher share price as they hold the balance of power hence the £750m. It is the balance of power that holders have that decide the true value – not the average share price. Someone out there has already stated it that partial offers have to be at a premium to the whole in terms of share price. That price is at a maximum when the stake is 50%+ . Each additional share adds diminishing value to the buyer.

For example – 2 sets of people – A holds 49%, B holds 51%

If B’s holding is valued at £51m, would people value A’s portion at £49m or in another way how much would B offer for A’s portion or any part of it?

Another case: A 49%, B 49%, C 2% if A & B valued at £49m each, is C only worth £2m? I do realise that if A & B merge, C's position won’t look so pretty – but it will be worth well north of the £2m if A or B might want it.

You cant proportion out a share price and apply that to every scenario - makes no sense of the dynamics that will exist.

In the first scenario B can feck A up with everything legal he can and then frustrate him in every possible way so that he will accept a much lower price. I don’t know the current minority interests’ protection laws as my last knowledge of that stuff goes back to 1979 when I left for a different field - no use whatsoever.

Not too sure if any of the posters here or journalists know any exacts in relation to the offers and how they are framed. SJ may up the bid yet, he may not but he seems happy with his position. Only the Glazers & Raine know and the rest can guestimate. We are in the dark in more ways than one is my opinion.

The Glazers aren’t dumb. The stayers will be very wary of accepting any deal with JR where they are in the minority (20%) and that is why perhaps they will take SJ’s offer. When Malcolm Glazer started this shitty period, Utd was a nice juicy and very easy target. None of the Glazers show any appetite for gambling with their own money. That is my last crumb of comfort. JR (if I believe a recent post that researched it) has already shown how he is rather adept at screwing minorities to the wall. He has every incentive to give us another 5 years of mediocrity and achieve his own goals. Help me out - give me some pointers as to why I’m wrong.

stw2022

And who's paying for that? We must be the only club that is paying for their own buyout not once, but twice in the last 20 years.
That's how business works. Many large companies that could have afforded to pay their obligations off many times over choose not to as paying the bare minimum interest on debt is widely considered the preferred choice.

Best case scenario of Ratcliffe ownership is that both Ineos and United will also be perpetually in debt, happy enough to simply pay off interest and refinance intermittently. United will be required to use its profits to contribute towards paying

dinostar77

Just look at what one of the worlds richest men did, Elon Musk when he bought Twitter. Did he pay out of his own pocket? No. Did he saddle SpaceX or Tesla with debt from Twitter buyout? No. He leveraged the finance.

"...Elon Musk bought Twitter using a leveraged buyout: He paid with borrowed money. : The Indicator from Planet Money Elon Musk bought Twitter for $44 billion, but almost a third of it was in loans—and Twitter's on the hook to pay them back. This strategy, popular in the '80s, is called a leveraged buyout...."

Ratcliffe will do the same, his crown jewel is INEOS. He wont risk that for a football club.

Blood Mage

The stricter FFP rules might be a factor in the Qataris not being desperate to acquire the club. It's harder to engage in financial doping now and United's finances are in a bad state.

Telsim

What a blunder by the Qatari, though. They seriously thought they can sway the Glazers their way by promising investment into the club. I didn't expect them to be this naive.

It's just a matter of making INEOS official now. I'm wondering if they will wait until the season is over to prevent any fan unrest? It will also take a month to see the deal through, probably.

clarkydaz

Ratcliffe will know full well the massive backlash about keeping the Glazers on. He must have one hell of an explanation/plan going forward to justify it

stw2022

What's United's debt burden now? £1bn?

Okay so imagine it being suggested that it would be entirely feasible that United could purchase another business for roughly the same amount as the debt it currently has. About £1bn. It's purchasing a smaller, far less profitable business compared to what United itself is. Not only will United do that but it'll also ensure the debt of that company is paid off. Not only that it'll also alleviate that smaller companies debt burden entirely. Whilst keeping the Uniteds £1bn debt burden untouched.

Not only that it'll not obligate that new company to use its future profits to pay for the additional debt that United incurred in purchasing that company and clearing its debts.

Lads if that above scenario sounds fecking insane to you, please can we stop pretending that this is Ratcliffe's plan to buy United.

Mmm-Qatarian

Imperfect as Brexit Jim's offer might be, I have to admit there's some part of me who sort of wants him/INEOS to win out over the Qataris.

I was in the away end at the Etihad recently to watch City play Leicester and holy feck, it's the most soulless stadium I've been to by a mile. As incredible as their team is, I don't really want United to turn into that.

stw2022

If I had to choose I'd guess I'd prefer Ratcliffe. I'd rather the club was ran as a business because I think that's only way of assuring long term sustainability. Also the whole persecution of gay people and human rights abuses thing.

But if people think it'll be the end of debt, repayment obligations and restrictions on spending, they've got a very nasty surprise coming.

El Presidente

Imperfect as Brexit Jim's offer might be, I have to admit there's some part of me who sort of wants him/INEOS to win out over the Qataris.

I was in the away end at the Etihad recently to watch City play Leicester and holy feck, it's the most soulless stadium I've been to by a mile. As incredible as their team is, I don't really want United to turn into that.
Have you been to St James' Park recently?

JustinC00

The stricter FFP rules might be a factor in the Qataris not being desperate to acquire the club. It's harder to engage in financial doping now and United's finances are in a bad state.
Yikes. This is just wrong. Our state is because the money sucking glazers saddled the club with debt and used our profits to pay the minimum while stuffing their bank accounts and using as as their fat piggy bank. Qataris would clear the debt and not use us as a piggy bank. There would be no reason for them to resort to financial doping. We aren't Citeh, we actually make a feck load of money that would justify any big spending.

JustinC00

That stadium would be like that if they had a billionaire philanthropist that fought crime. It has nothing to do with the ownership.

flameinthesun

Of the two from a challenging city perspective I'd much rather Qater.

Regarding Ineos, not sure how funding a stadium rebuild, improving training ground, improving data analytics, whilst providing Ten Hag with a proper warchest to challenge City can be done whilst bearing in mind realistically this isn't a charity offer from Ineos who will be looking for ROI.

Additionally Ineos knows fan sentiment regarding the glazers as well as their views on debt alongside the ambition of the fans to become no1 again. If their purchase keeps the glazers, doesn't allow us to compete realistically with the likes of city et al, then its a no for me as it doesn't change much.

Add in things like Jim being pro brexit, chelsea season ticket holder etc its all a bit underwhelming l.

Status
Not open for further replies.