Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I’m still not convinced Qatar will lose this. This same Qatar that managed to win a World Cup Bid. Yes with corruption and back handers. If they want United badly they will get United. I’m sure of it.
That's the bit that now doesn't seem as likely as it did before.

Appletonred

Ratcliffe is already a billionaire so not sure if buying Utd is anything other than a vanity project feeding his ego, the flagship if you like on top of all the other sporting interests that Ineos are involved with.

whitbyviking

1) ineos may not have £3-6b in liquid cash, but they certainly have the clout to pay the repayments out of their own pocket. if they don't and put that debt on the club, expecting the club to generate it, it's obv a stupid move. what they can do, is make the repayments comfortably themselves whilst increasing the club's loan account (most likely) but it won't matter really, the club won't be under threat in that case.

2) the key question is why they're willing to risk so much just to own 50% of united, the samr reason why the glazers didnt want to let go in the first place, because they understand the impact monetised future technology eg VR/holographic technology, will have on the club.
the glazers realise they cant keep spending £200m a season to keep up with City and now Newcastle too, along with all the economic uncertainty going around..but they would have preferred to have kept united or kept some shares in united to get that share of the pie 10-15 yrs from now.

ask yourself, if 10 years from now you can switch on a device, preferrbly not VR goggles...and experience OT as if you're physically seated there, or as if you're in the dugout or tunnel..but you had to pay £1k a year (or the equivalent in terms of inflation), would you do it?
if United were in a big game...and 40m people all around the world paid £10 each for that experience...
the only downside is the disgusting idea that a player might cost £1b one day..and it would be another dog poo player playing like pogba. there needs to be a cap on the transfer market eg clubs should be mandated to promote x amount of youth players every game for example. that would be nice.
Ask yourself how much money Ineos make from any of the sport organisations they own/sponsor, or any of the existing football clubs they sponsor/own. The answer is more than likely nothing.

It is clear as day to anybody with an ounce of common sense they are not doing this for profit, personal profit that is. The club will profit as we have for many years, and hopefully at a better rate of return without money being leached out. There are a lot of rumours Ineos will be sold shortly to "big oil". If/when that happens the debt will in all likelihood be wrapped up in the sale price with the club moving under a separate business debt free. At that time the ex-Ineos owners will be exceptionally wealthy with more liquid assets.

Some of the above is speculation, but it is much more believable speculation based on what we actually know than the speculation on what Qatar have promised, since we don't even know the source of funding, wealth of Jassim and his family etc.

I'll say it again, this thread would be much shorter if people just admitted they want what City appear to have: unlimited oil money.

Here's a hypothetical though - once the debt is moved around, the interest payments and dividends gone and the turnover/profit set back to normal how much do people think the new owner would need to put in place to "compete". Based on history of when we made decent profits I think the amount would be relatively small, maybe £150-200m each season on top of what we earn as profit, and both of the prospective owners can easily manage that.

Another general question - do people honestly believe that even Qatar would invest in the stadium and Carrington without debt? I'm pretty sure they have already stated they would use bank loans (at 0% interest if I remember rightly). As others have said "debt is debt". No investor who has a billion sat around in a bank is going to pay for that type of work, they would take a loan and use that billion as an investment in something else, that has a higher interest rate than the debt.

RedDevilRoshi

I’m still not convinced Qatar will lose this. This same Qatar that managed to win a World Cup Bid. Yes with corruption and back handers. If they want United badly they will get United. I’m sure of it.
They need to up their bid which going by what they have said previously, they won’t be held to ransom by the Glazers and will walk away.

LARulz

Respected financial expert Ben Foster
Don't really disagree with him. He's speaking on his own behalf as a fan/ex-player

Also if that's the case can ignore literally everybody who isn't a financial expert, and then begs the question why you even come to discuss with non experts

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
People are getting themselves into a mess over the word debt.

750m debt with the Glazers is different to 750m debt with someone else.

The Glazers had no intention of clearing that debt as it would cost them real money, they only wanted to take.

I would assume (yes I don't know for sure like anybody else) that INEOS/ SJR would approach the debt differently and look towards clearing it over time.

What I am saying is if managed properly then the debt itself isn't an issue, just the Glazers left it to rot and grow.
This is a great post. Debt isn’t the enemy you think it is people!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
INEOS makes around 2.5b per year so servicing and paying off an 8b debt isn't that difficult if they wished to. Furthermore United can afford to service its own debt and spend 150m on transfers every season especially if they have the right coaching and recruitment set up that can guarantee CL football every year.

If Ineos want capital appreciation then they have to invest in infrastructure and playing staff, there is no way around it. The fact of the matter is that United wouldn't need to spend +250m every season, maybe every other 3rd or fourth season. Realistically speaking, if we spend 250m on Osimhen, Caicedo and Costa what would we need in 24 that would be so expensive beyond a few bench players?

Interest on the 3b acquisition debt INEOS would have to take will be in the 150m range, which will also lower their tax burden. After this summer United would never need additional support for transfer spending and the figure they would need is probably less than 150m.

They can afford the takeover, it's in their interests to get United competing and reestablished at the top table of the English and European game. City recently sold 10% of their stake for $500m, the Glazers are looking for a billion plus for a minority stake and so are PSG. There is money to be made but it's only there if you invest. The Glazers failed because of misdirected investments under an incompetent CEO, not because of debt.
Indeed.

In terms of the spending on players required, it's important for people to remember that we've spent as much as we have because we've been failing, leading us to throw good money after bad and going through repeated "rebuild" phases. Once you get to the point where you actually have a functioning high-level team and you're just looking to maintain it season by season, the need to spend greatly drops. For example City's net spend over the last five years (officially, anyway) has been approx -€21m, -€96, -€109m, -€45m, and +€11.6m.

JustinC00

Furthermore United can afford to service its own debt and spend 150m on transfers every season
No we can't. It's why the glazers are looking to sell a stake because they can't get oil from the United tap anymore. They couldn't even pay themselves a dividend last quarter because we have no money. Why do you think someone like Gakpo or Felix who could easily been had didn't happen while we had to settle for a Burnley player who was on loan to a Turkish club?

And now we are gonna be saddled with more debt without paying any of the debt the glazers put us

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
If after all this the best we can do is Jim teamin up with Glazers, it will be quite a damning set of circumstances.
Certainly would be a blow considering everyone thought there would be a lot of interest.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Got to say a lot of the defences about INEOS and debt is very similar to what we heard about the Glazers in the beginning. A lot of it comes down to getting the right coaching and recruitment which INEOS have shown to be great at and so there isn’t a need to have much room for mistakes.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I agree with Ben Foster's sentiments.

All I want out of the new owners are to clear the debt, invest in the club infrastructure and hire the best football people to run the club as they see fit. Anything else is a bonus.

We've been nerfed by debt repayments for so long. It's a miracle and a testament to the club's commercial strengths that we've only just began to see the effects of that. Clear the debt, and let the club compete on it's own merits without being hamstrung.

I suppose this makes me more of a Qatari bid supporter than INEOS and Ratcliffe, then so be it.

Judas

Open to offers
It would be the 2nd worst outcome, with the Glazers staying in total control being the obvious worst. I don’t see why anyone could be positive or excited by this potential mess.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Ratcliffe will know full well the massive backlash about keeping the Glazers on. He must have one hell of an explanation/plan going forward to justify it
You say that but the customers were happy to fill up the stadium, with very few exceptions.

If the Glazers got away with it for so long, a Union Jack draped owner will basically play the OGS card at a high level and for longer.

EtH will win a couple of smaller trophies and the customers will keep delivering.

MiamiSpartan

He’s outwitted no one he’s just structured a different type of deal with some fancy play with words you can spout out in the media to the masses it will eventually get misconstrued as he’s paying more/there’s more money on the table which isn’t true.

It’s fantastic use of the media that’s for sure.

A more accurate statement would be he knows he can’t compete with Qatar on a full buyout so he moved the goalposts.
It's not just media BS. Ineos valued the club (as a whole) at more than what the Qataris did. The Glazers can sell outright to him now at that valuation of they want, in which case they get more than Qatar is offering. Joel and Avram reportedly don't want to sell now. Thus the option for them to stay (and according to Castles, with a big incentive to sell with within the next 2 years).

Anyone using Qatar wanting to buy out the additional 31% notn wned by the Glazers as proof that they're offering more is the spin. Qatar's bid did not include that 31%, because the Glazers can't sell that. They would do that later, separately, and likely at a MUCH lower price per share than they offered the Glazers.

The fact is, according to reports, that Qatar NEVER bid for a valuation of the club anywhere near what the Glazers would accept. If Qatar were the only bidder, the Glazers would stay in full control.

The midfield general

Posters on here have short memories before the Sheik said he was interested in buying the club, people were hailing Jim Ratcliffe as our saviour.I would rather have him making decisions than the glaziers anytime.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It would be the 2nd worst outcome, with the Glazers staying in total control being the obvious worst. I don’t see why anyone could be positive or excited by this potential mess.
What would be the second worst outcome?

HarryP

If news had broken last Summer that Ratcliffe had agreed a deal to become the majority shareholder and the Glazers influence would be dramatically diluted, everyone would be popping the champagne corks.

But because the spectre of a full sale was raised and Qatar dangled their oil money, Ratcliffe suddenly becomes a 'British Glazer' who wants to line his own pockets and has no interest in the welfare of the club. Absolutely embarrassingly juvenile stuff from anyone speaking like this.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The more I’ve thought about it I’m okay with either outcome. I think both take the club in a better direction.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Ben Foster shares his preference for Qatar, acknowledges it requires putting morals to one side, which he then blames on fans rather than owning himself.

He's a wrong 'un, that one, I keep trying to tell people.

Rightnr

Goldbridge really is a stupid cnut isn't he.
Foster too. He managed to get almost every fact wrong in that video.
Now you on the other hand are a source of insightful analysis

chickensgowoof

This is a great post. Debt isn’t the enemy you think it is people!
This is a terrible post, and I cant become a verified user?! You are just assuming they would want to clear the debt over time, they flippin wont.
There is tax deductibles, share holders to please first. Then there is extra debt from sorting out the stadium, or even better building a new one.

Man City have got to where they are by paying for the best of everything, from Cleaning Staff to Manager.

We will be sitting around watching Newcastle, Man City, probably Liverpool and Spurs when they are sold winning everything, whilst we go the same way as Nice.

But hey at least we will have that proper Club status, even though we are owned by a greedy corporation.

Woziak

Ineos have 3 shareholders only.

Also how do you put multiple billions of debt on a company that struggled to pay a debt of 700 million over 18 years and who also have a turn over of £600 million, some of opinions on business in this thread are interesting to say the least.
I totally agree the absolute disdain for the Ineos group is just crazy, they don’t have the money to buy the club, they can’t afford to buy players or invest in stadium rebuild, it’s a complete hog wash. If the company gave outbid SJ and Qatar they have the funds as this has been checked in the last two weeks. For the record Ineos have amounted nearly €10bn Of profits in last 8 or 9 years. Look below at link https://www.statista.com/statistics...the gross profits,at nearly 1.3 billion euros.

I accept that some of this is being used to reinvest in their core business but the annual Turnover is $60 billion and making a profit. It’s been know for years that the company has been stockpiling cash, building up reserves to invest.

Now just because you have a pot of gold doesn’t mean you always use it, but you can use it as collateral where you can use a banks money at more favourable rates because your business rating is blue chip like Ineos but the notion that they can not afford to buy man United, absorb the debt or pay for players is insane.

The club under SJR will be miles better off financially, the two goblins unfortunately might stay and there may be real questions on how much of a fan SJR is and how much he wants to win, but with new FFP and sustainability rules, he has more than enough money to make united a force again, they may not be as rich as they would have been under Qatar but is that really what people wanted with all the human rights and homophobia issues that come with that now confirmed state bid .

AneRu

The more I read about it, the more it seems to be the case. Why would Ineos assume all debt and leave United to just spend on itself? If it is to grow its value, even Glazers managed to do so while we struggled with debt and they taking regular dividends. So it's perfectly possible that we will keep functioning the same way while still growing in value because of our brand value and huge following.

As of now, nothing is clear but this seems more plausible than SJR thinking of this as just a legacy project with no profit to be made from this, as some seem to suggest.
We didn't struggle with debt but we struggled with their incompetence. The money wasted on dogshit players like Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku and others who didn't deliver any sporting success could have renovated Old Trafford or if it had been spent by someone who knew what they were doing would have funded a PL or CL win. Let's not rewrite history, if Woodward had moved heaven and earth to land Klopp we'd talking differently right now.

Glazers have never really invested a penny of their own money into the growth of the club. If they had they would be selling for much right now, imagine if they had put in just a portion of the money they got when they sold off shares on the NYSE we would be so far ahead of the competition. Ten years ago 500m would have been enough to mordenize facilities, for example. If INEOS follow the same script they would have the same issues.

Mmm-Qatarian

Am I missing something about Ratcliffe's bid?

It doesn't strike me that he's keeping Joel and Avram around so they can hold hands and make all the decisions collectively. It sounds like they'd have very little influence over decision-making going forward, and would purely be there because they think they can get more for their shares in the future. Essentially, it seems like a ploy on his part to try and win out against a stronger financial force in Qatar.

Ideally, I'd rather have all the Glazers gone now, but I'd also ideally not have us become a soul-dead sportswashing project.

Judas

Open to offers
I don’t mind Goldbridge, he’s a funny bloke, but my word is he insufferable when it comes to this takeover business. Although he’s not as bad the idiots he’s energizing and egging on who send in stuff about being furious at fans for not storming the pitch and setting OT ablaze, constantly slagging off match going fans etc. beyond idiotic shite.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Got to say a lot of the defences about INEOS and debt is very similar to what we heard about the Glazers in the beginning. A lot of it comes down to getting the right coaching and recruitment which INEOS have shown to be great at and so there isn’t a need to have much room for mistakes.
You are 100% spot on. I remember those days and the conversations in here were very similar.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree.

I think there's another twist to come in the coming days because I've always felt the Qatari group was waiting for Ratcliffe to completely show his hand, which he seems to have done now. And it's not a surprise that Ratcliffe is looking to get his foot through the door even if it means keeping the Glazers around on a minority stake.

Because when the news first broke about Ratcliffe wanting to buy the club last year via The Times and Matt Dickinson in particular, it was reported about Ratcliffe even being open to a minority stake, which would eventually lead to a full-takeover in the future.

On the other hand the Qatari offer has been described via reports as one where the Qatari group won't be reckless and they're said to be vary of the the Glazers/Raine making them bid against themselves. So I feel now that Ratcliffe has possibly shown his hand in the final round of bidding, that Qatar will counter his offer. Which makes sense at this stage rather than reports about them blowing the competition out of the water, which isn't at all sensible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm sure there are a lot of echoes.

But in actual factual terms, there are massive differences differences between the two scenarios. Which is a lot more important than whether arguments on the internet sound familiar.

Rightnr

I be actually like Golbridge but he didn’t even know like a lot of people what the bid was for and how it was structured
Oh, he definitely doesn't come across as the most clued-in on the deal here but there is an element on here that whenever anything gets posted from the social media side is quick to not just criticise but call names. Listening to them, you'd think some of these guys are the devil. They also are first to pass judgment if you offend their sensibilities.

Some (a lot actually) of these same people are pushing for Ratcliffe in such an unashamed way it's unbelievable hypocrisy. Proper Brexit gammon stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.