Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelinho87

Yes, we only overpaid for Antony by one Gakpo (I won't even mention the elephant in the room) because we said we'll chase FdJ for the whole summer until it was clear even to our negotiators (if you can use that word) that he won't come. We then went for a PR disaster-in-the-making like Arnautovic and a dressing room bomb like Rabiot.

We failed to get those two as well and just went and splashed 60m and long-term contract for a player in his 30s, overpaid for Antony and failed to get Gakpo because we ran out of money.

We then couldn't spend in January because of all the feck-ups in the summer. But yeah, complete agenda.
I'd argue most of this was on EtH, anyhow as I've pointed out before only on United players do we moan they're in their 30s.. do we think City fans moan KdB is 31? Or Madrid fans moaned about the age of Modric? Casemiro has been worth every penny of his transfer fee.

Nick7

Yes, we only overpaid for Antony by one Gakpo (I won't even mention the elephant in the room) because we said we'll chase FdJ for the whole summer until it was clear even to our negotiators (if you can use that word) that he won't come. We then went for a PR disaster-in-the-making like Arnautovic and a dressing room bomb like Rabiot.

We failed to get those two as well and just went and splashed 60m and long-term contract for a player in his 30s, overpaid for Antony and failed to get Gakpo because we ran out of money.

We then couldn't spend in January because of all the feck-ups in the summer. But yeah, complete agenda.
FDJ was all on ETH. Arnautovic, and Rabiot were also ETH picks. ETH chose Antony over Gakpo. Seems your problem is with the manager, not Murtough.

Castia

One thing I would say is that the Jim bid as been on the table for months…if they were really interested in that option then why haven’t they accepted that bid?

They 100% want to sell to Qatar I don’t buy the narrative that Jim is well ahead.

Nick7

Why would they want to sell to someone who’s continuously bidding lower than the other option? :houllier:

Marcelinho87

One thing I would say is that the Jim bid as been on the table for months…if they were really interested in that option then why haven’t they accepted that bid?

They 100% want to sell to Qatar I don’t buy the narrative that Jim is well ahead.
Jassim has spent the past 5 weeks pinging bids at nobody, doesn't even seem like Raine are bothering to answer him yet they are in advanced negotiations with Ratcliffe which is beyond the bid on the table process... It's a 5bn+ acquisition not the purchase of a 2k ford fiesta, bit more to it than 3 sheets of paper and a signature.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
FDJ was all on ETH. Arnautovic, and Rabiot were also ETH picks. ETH chose Antony over Gakpo. Seems your problem is with the manager, not Murtough.
The clue is in the job title. Manager and we're supposed to have a structure. But I am sure there's a comeback for that as well.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Do you and @Berbaclass have bunk beds with matching Jassim duvet covers? :smirk:
But thats the thing, if Jim was that far ahead and SJ was just saving face with this new bid, why hasn't Jim being appointed as preferred bidder yet? Surely that tells you that the Glazers aren't as keen on the bid as the journos make out to be?

Marcelinho87

The clue is in the job title. Manager and we're supposed to have a structure. But I am sure there's a comeback for that as well.
If we had such a structure he'd be head coach, not manager... It's obvious he has been entrusted with the transfer process similar to how it was under SAF.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
But thats the thing, if Jim was that far ahead and SJ was just saving face with this new bid, why hasn't Jim being appointed as preferred bidder yet? Surely that tells you that the Glazers aren't as keen on the bid as the journos make out to be?
He's a stalking horse

mu4c_20le

Because it takes time to engineer the deal. Rumours are that SJR is already working with the banks behind the scenes, so it's not like they're just sitting and browsing twitter. For the Glazers it makes no sense to announce anything and their silence is actually making the rookie Qatari delegation team squeak their bums.

You can' believe anything you want but it doesn't add up for me.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Dickheadness aside….would Arnautovic done better than Weghorst?

Rightnr

If we had such a structure he'd be head coach, not manager... It's obvious he has been entrusted with the transfer process similar to how it was under SAF.
In any case, my point was that the circus is far from over for the summer and nothing we've done so far has let me to believe the opposite.

Marcelinho87

In any case, my point was that the circus is far from over for the summer and nothing we've done so far has let me to believe the opposite.
I know what you mean but as with anything it takes time.

Since Woodward left things have gotten better in regards to a structure been in place, slowly but most definitely gotten better.

OleGunnar20

Yeah it was a complete farce of an 'interview'.

Any one of us could have given that same Q&A - 5th bid, deadline Friday, we dont know, we dont know.
"It's clear Friday is going to be an important day", after telling us that was deadline day 30 seconds prior.

Insight™️

croadyman

I could have warmed to Ratcliffe in time IF he hadn't offered to keep the leeches or outlined his plans for managing the debt ages ago (obviously won't clear it). Unfortunately he didn't do either so he will get a deserved icy reception from fans

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Matt Lawton is one of the most reliable journalists around and I don't believe for a second that what he wrote today is a narrative. It's reality. Even the likes of Mike Keegan continue to report that SJR is ahead.

Castia

Jassim has spent the past 5 weeks pinging bids at nobody, doesn't even seem like Raine are bothering to answer him yet they are in advanced negotiations with Ratcliffe which is beyond the bid on the table process... It's a 5bn+ acquisition not the purchase of a 2k ford fiesta, bit more to it than 3 sheets of paper and a signature.

Oh I know it takes time but sources are still saying there’s no preferred bidder if it was at the point where Jim had the deal done for weeks/months I’m sure we would have known about it

Marcelinho87

Oh I know it takes time but sources are still saying there’s no preferred bidder if it was at the point where Jim had the deal done for weeks/months I’m sure we would have known about it
The sources have spent a good chunk of this saga spouting bollocks, evident when they claimed Qatar's bid had gone in (3rd one) and then they all scrambled the next day to say it hadn't and nobody knew why and they needed an extension.

Rightnr

I know what you mean but as with anything it takes time.

Since Woodward left things have gotten better in regards to a structure been in place, slowly but most definitely gotten better.
As much as I don't really rate Murtough, I firmly believe most of our bad negotiating is actually to do with the fact they have to ring the Glazer clowns every time they need to make a significant outlay.

This slows us down and makes our negotiating team less able to switch targets. If we get a more involved owner/boss, especially one who actually understands football, it'll be better for sure.

Castia

Matt Lawton is one of the most reliable journalists around and I don't believe for a second that what he wrote today is a narrative. It's reality. Even the likes of Mike Keegan continue to report that SJR is ahead.

That one line he used was buried within the article he didn’t have the balls to lead with that story which would 100% be massive exclusive it was a rather odd article

Giggsyking

Lets break down the bids based on the assumption that the widely reported 5bn for 9-2 and 6bn from Ineos are correct.

From the Glazers POV
With 9-2's bid being based on a 5bn EV valuation, it pays the Glazers 2.9bn.

With Ineos bid being capped at a 6bn EV valuation, it could pay the Glazers up to 3.6bn, of which app. 2.3bn is paid today, and up to app. 1.3bn is paid in 2026.

What is better, (a) 2.9bn today or (b) 2.3bn today and 1.3bn in three years? (b) is clearly better. .If the Glazers get a 10% yearly return on the extra 600m they get from 9-2 today, Ineos bid is still better with 400m. If they get 20% yearly return, the difference is 170m.

It seems like Ineos bid is variable regarding the remaining "18%". The impact of the variable part will not be massive. It is possible to with a fair amount of certainty forecast what our revenue will be in 3 years time. The UK TV deals runs to 2029 right. In the US, it runs to 2028. We won't all be watching the PL with VR glasses in 36 months time. But sure, we can do a lot better without the Glazers point of view. If the Glazers go with Ineos -- the variable part should be fairly obtainable.

From the fans POV
9-2 would pay the debt and has pledged to invest 1bn in the club. That totals app. 1.78bn. It is very similar to what Boehly has pledged to invest in Chelsea FC (1.75bn).

How much will Ineos invest in the club? I don't think there has been any report on that. What we can do is look at Ineos bid for Chelsea:

We got to assume that Ineos in no event will be willing to in total invest -- less -- in MUFC than in CFC. With Ineos bid for the shares of MUFC being 3.6bn, we must be able to assume that Ineos would be willing to invest 900m into the club. This match their total 4.5bn commitment for Chelsea.

Is 900m enough? No, I don't think it is. I won't expand on the math in this post but having looked at the numbers in the past, to afford a new/rebuilt OT we probably need up towards 1.5bn -- at least -- for it to not have an impact on our transfer budget. I am not surprised by 9-2's pledge of a total of 1.78bn, because that is a very reasonable number. There is no point in contributing like 2.5-3bn to the club, we couldn't spend the money over 10 years due to FFP anyway.

So hopefully Ineos is willing to invest more in MUFC than in CFC. I think it is good business for Ineos to do that. We are a bigger club, so the upside is higher. But we just have no reports in this regard so its anyone's guess.
He is not going to invest anything in the club while the Glazers are his partners. He will not give them free ride and they will not accept diluting their shares. That is why he will not invest anything anytime soon and that is why he avoided mention anything about investment in the club, why would he ignore such a good PR if he intends to invest in the club?

Berbaclass

He is not going to invest anything in the club while the Glazers are his partners. He will not give them free ride and they will not accept diluting their shares. That is why he will not invest anything anytime soon and that is why he avoided mention anything about investment in the club, why would he ignore such a good PR if he intends to invest in the club?
Never really considered this till now but if the premium that Ratcliffe pays to potentially buy the Glazers out after 3 years or whatever is based on the stock price then it wouldn't make sense for him to invest a great deal in that time as he will be costing himself money down the line if his investments increase the value of the club.

lex talionis

"Shambles" would be harsh on Murtough, but United are still far from a model club in its transfer dealings. We got Casemiro over the line quickly, but we dithered over Antony and then at the last minute paid well over the odds. But here we are and our management team is what it is, until it's not.

Berbaclass

"Shambles" would be harsh on Murtough, but United are still far from a model club in its transfer dealings. We got Casemiro over the line quickly, but we dithered over Antony and then at the last minute paid well over the odds. But here we are and our management team is what it is, until it's not.
I actually don't mind Richard Arnold. I respected him for being pretty frank about the situation when he went to that pub.

Giggsyking

@Rhyme Animal doesn't seem to understand that Sheikh Jassim is the son of a former Prime Minister of Qatar and has just told me he's got nothing to do with the Qatari Government and it's policy.

:lol:
You sound uninformed about the ME politics, his father has been sidelined by the Emir for a decade now. His father is nowhere near the governmental or the political circle never mind his son who has never been involved in politics and is only a businessman!

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I could have warmed to Ratcliffe in time IF he hadn't offered to keep the leeches or outlined his plans for managing the debt ages ago (obviously won't clear it). Unfortunately he didn't do either so he will get a deserved icy reception from fans
That’s far from a given. Why not wait to hear what he has to say when he isn’t bound by an NDA before jumping to conclusions.

FujiVice

Why would they want to sell to someone who’s continuously bidding lower than the other option? :houllier:
Because its his job to find the deal they really want, not the deal they ask for. Otherwise, they'd have bid the asking price and looked like mugs.

MF1138

Did Jassim employ Woodward and Judge to do the bidding for him? Seems awfully similar.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why wouldn’t they have sold to SJR already if the bid was that great and so far ahead…

Giggsyking

@Berbaclass

One thing I really do Love is that Jassim has made it so that if the Glazers remain, there will be so much pressure on them and Jim Brexit to run the club well moving forward.

It won’t be the same as it’s been in the past. The publicly stated pledge to clear the debt completely and invest properly in the infrastructure has made it so that any attempt to carry on as before will be very, very hard for them get away with without much higher scrutiny.

It means that Brexit Jim’s reign will be met with an immediate demand for competent action and I think that’s really important.
I dont think they will be affected at all now they have a British version of them (Jimmy) that they can hide behind. RATcliffe obviously does not care for face value, he is proven BS in regards of promises (footballing wise in the case of his clubs) or political (in the case of Brexit) so the fans moaning will have zero effect on his face..

Status
Not open for further replies.