Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Out of curiosity, is JD Deitch an American Ipsos exec, based in Paris?

Acquire Me

I don't think that what he has written is particularly well put and he does come across as being a bit superior, but I get his point, which is fans support the club in different ways and have different experiences and expectations.

The way I read it, he is fed up with the "buy this star", "announce Mbappe," "spend billions" style tweets that you see all the time, his mistake is maybe splitting this between match going fans and foreign fans, whereas it is far more nuanced than that, what he should do is split it between angry twats and fans.

There are plenty of examples in this thread of posters laughing at people worried about a Qatari take over or the other way around, I imagine he has rightly had enough of that.
Well said

stevoc

There has been some social progression in Qatar over recent years, the best example being their abolishment of the migrant kafala system. You could also read this report from PwC for further examples:
Qatar’s ESG Journey: Past, present, and future through a legal lens (pwc.com)

In any case, I think there's two different aspects to consider when talking about this matter of cultural transfusion - political and social.

Where I think even the likes of Amnesty International get it wrong whilst assessing this matter is they very quickly make a judgement on whether there has been transfusion between two countries after only a decade or so of increased integration, where such transfusion would only ever have had time to take place at the less permeable political level.

To use your example of Russia, it is true the Russian government has not bent one little bit towards adopting a more "Western" philosophy in parallel to closer integration with the West over recent decades. Nor should we have ever have really expected it to, given those currently governing in Russia are of an age born and indoctrinated within the fiercely anti-Western USSR. However, the change we haven't yet seen the fruits of is at the social level - the blossoming segment of more liberal-minded young people in Russia today, influenced by the romanticism of Western culture in media, the international friends they've made, the foreign job opportunities they've been afforded. These people may not yet have grown up into positions that can affect matters at the political level, but as Russia's current nationalist majority continues to age and this younger generation grows in its power and influence, such changes may well begin to manifest at the political level.

In the specific case of Middle Eastern countries buying into football, I would argue that it's the younger, more malleable generations in those countries that will be most affected by the increased interest in our culture. Maybe they won't yet be a position to influence things at the political level in their countries. But one day they most likely will be.
The huge difference is that those countries you mention don't want to integrate with the West. Unlike many of the countries in the Gulf - led by UAE and Dubai specifically, whoare seeing it differently. They all want to diversify their economy to move towards a more sustainable future away from fossile energy sources.

Dubai has led charge by targeting Western money through finance and hospitality (the other sector they are focusing heavily on is renewable energy technology). This has led to significant changes which has them aligning more and more with Western society. The difference that only two decades has made (from the first time I went there) has been quite remarkable, even if they have some way to go on several areas.

Qatar has obviously seen that and wants a slice of the pie. Unlike Dubai, they have chosen sports investments as way to promote their country for tourism (a part of their vision to diversify the economy), hence the insane investment in the World Cup, PSG and potentially targeting United fits right in with that. They are now also opening up for external investment in the country. Even Amnesty has acknowledged that progress has been made, obviously with some way to go.

Funnily, even the heavily conservative KSA regime are/have been planning to build a Western-oriented city in the desert.
Interesting replies cheers, it's a topic I'm interested in and hope to look more into at some point.

Himannv

"and don't intend to go there".
"or don't think you ever will."

I think his meaning is quite clear. "Match-going fans are the "true fans" and all the others just don't get it and their opinions don't matter." He does try to backtrack out of the hole he dug himself in later on of course.

I'm not saying he has made no good points at all in that thread of his - I agree with some of it, but that underlying superiority and his gross generalization of fans takes away from the more salient points he's trying to make.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
The match going fans are just as divided as the wider fan base on the new owners.

Cloud7

He's not saying that - he's saying he doesn't care about the opinion of someone who doesn't go to games. Not sure how that's ok, particularly considering he's supposed to represent United fans in general (match-going or otherwise). Perhaps he means something else, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

Ahh we're back to the old 'superior fan' discussion. Always seems to come back to this doesn't it?

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
He started off on his rant after a United fan said they would never want to go to Old Trafford because it was full of 79k drunkards.

I’m one of these 70k+ plus Drunkards that goes to games every week home and away, and European games. This is the type of idiot that gets right up our noses!! I don’t usually rant on here but I’m starting to get sick to my teeth of some of sh@t I’m reading on here at the moment, some of you need to give your head a wobble!!

Neil67

The match going fans are just as divided as the wider fan base on the new owners.
Are we? Most of us know who we want! Going on a % of who I go with to the games plus the people I drink with, stand with and talk with (all season ticket holders) there’s only one name being mentioned, Qatar.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Is it? I disagree with the OP. He's basically saying any fan who don't go to games are fair weather, glory hunting fans. This idea in itself is disrespectful to the club.
No, he’s not. Read it.
If you're gatekeeping then just stop already. People can support which team they want. They can prefer whichever owner they want. They can support no one and switch between watching whoever they want. They can be glory hunters. They can be fair weather. At the end of the day it really makes no fecking meaningful difference to anything.
I mean, OK? But there’s a big reason why people saw AFC Wimbledon as the good guys and MK Dons as the evil face of football. Clubs are supposed to have continuity and a connection with their community and represent them. People should be fighting to ensure that Manchester United maintains an identity and that involves some degree of gatekeeping. If you advocate United becoming a completely generic superclub, whose players could be replaced by any FIFPro XI and whose stadium could be migrated anywhere in the world, then you should be looked down upon.

Negative Red

I don't see the relevance in the JD Deitch post. What makes his opinion more important than anyone else's? Those representing MUST never come across particularly well either to me.

Ananke

Fecking hell, we're back to this superior fan bullshit again. Yes I know he didn't specifically mention the term superior fan but you know what he's trying to reach. It's so fecking cringeworthy for adult fans to talk like this. It's football FFS the club, players, board, owners don't even know who you are no matter how superior of a fan you may think you are.
This ^

It seems, largely speaking, he’s been offended and then gone on a rant…to which he’s most likely offended an even larger amount of the fan base. It’s written poorly with strong emotion there but the superiority is clearly seeping out of that thread all over the place.

cyberman

The man is even making excuses about the context of his tweets being missing after being called out. Hard to pretend he’s making any sort of good point after that when he knows it reads as shite

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I’m one of these 70k+ plus Drunkards that goes to games every week home and away, and European games. This is the type of idiot that gets right up our noses!! I don’t usually rant on here but I’m starting to get sick to my teeth of some of sh@t I’m reading on here at the moment, some of you need to give your head a wobble!!
I know, people pretending Salman Bin Ahmad and the like are anything like a real supporter. They might be of some value to the commercial side of the club, but that’s not the same thing as them being a supporter at all. Their relationship with whichever football club they reckon they support is about the same as what mine is with Coronation Street or Homes Under The Hammer.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Who on here has agreed with that one kid

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Have you considered getting help for your drinking problem?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Are we? Most of us know who we want! Going on a % of who I go with to the games plus the people I drink with, stand with and talk with (all season ticket holders) there’s only one name being mentioned, Qatar.
That's interesting. You saying match going fans (based on your experience) are pro-Qatar (unless i read your response wrong)? Would have thought it's majority other way, especially according to what wumm's been trying to say in here.

Nori-

Man Utd wouldn't be the global juggernaut they are now if it wasn't for International fans.

Turning up to matches or being from Manchester was important 25-30 years ago when the Premiership wasn't as big but now with world wide audiences, it really doesn't mean as much. Do you think sponsors pay hundreds of millions of pounds every year so a hand full of mancunians can see their name? They pay all that money so audiences in China, Asia, America, Africa can associate their brand with Manchester Utd.

Before you get on your high horse and proclaim you are the gatekeepers for supporting Man Utd, keep in mind United wouldn't have a tenth of their spending power if it wasn't for international fans.

Neil67

That's interesting. You saying match going fans (based on your experience) are pro-Qatar (unless i read your response wrong)? Would have thought it's majority other way, especially according to what wumm's been trying to say in here.
I can only go on the % of people that I I know but yes the impression is that the the match going lads/ladies want QATAR…..

Sir Erik ten Hag

Even the current manager of Manchester United (being touted as the savior who would bring the club back to glory) is Dutch and obviously didn't come from Manchester. Our top goalscorer of all time is Rooney, a scouser. So let's stop this Manchester-born high horse.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I can only go on the % of people that I I know but yes the impression is that the the match going lads/ladies want QATAR…..
Aargh, seems (almost) the opposite of what some "matchgoing" fans on here are pushing - that it's the foreign fans, with "less" attachment/morals (whatever they call it) to the club who are pushing for Qatar etc etc.

Thanks Neil.

TsuWave

Guy didn’t raise any good points. It’s just repackaged gatekeeping and xyz are better United fans rhetoric

grown man talking about “this doesn’t mean you won’t ever be accepted”

for feck’s sake :lol:

cyberman

I can give two perspectives.
I have family from both sides who live in Manchester , both sides have season tickets for either City or United. The United fans want Qatar while City fans want Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.