Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It's still a valid point. Investment in infrastructure won't reap immediate results. So looking at our spending the last decade, the only hope for immediate success a new owner could bring is in installing the 'right' people in the important positions, in my opinion. Spending was never the issue.
Wrong club to focus on immediate success with. We've always stood for youth and the academy.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The Glazers have a habit of backing the manager and spending big when we're out of top 4 it's all about getting the champions league money, hopefully the new owner will be more ambitious than that and back the manager with what's needed to actually win things
Exactly, until they came in we brought new players in if needed, but also when we were in a position of strength to try and keep us there.

Mou Mou Land

Haha yep, it's infuriating.

I'd love to find a decent United youtube channel. How these guys and that Goldbridge fella get so many views is beyond me.
I have yet to find a single decent United channel or podcast to listen to be honest. I find myself listening to the Spurs and Crystal Palace ones which are far more entertaining and realistic. Up until last season, if you wanted a crash course in Samaritan counselling training, the Arsenal podcasts were amazing - the funniest thing online. After that, the perpetual fury of Everton fans raises a smile. :)

The United ones seem to manage to find the most boring monotonic presenters available.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Kind of mad that the Glazers have been able to drive Utd up to the current valuation when we are possibly operating with a 100m summer budget.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What would Qatar investment offer really? Your already one of the highest spenders transfer fee wise and in wages. When Man City got taken over it was significant because they went from not being able to afford anyone, to launching bids for Kaka almost overnight. Its not like you need qatar to be able to do a 100m deal, or offer a 350k a week wage to entice a player.

I really dont understand what you think they will offer in the terms of the transfer market you couldn't do without them?

Or are you wanting the 200m transfer fee on a single payer and 1m a week to someone like Mbappe - the galactico PSG model basically?

Qatar or no Qatar, I dont think it matters all that much
The fact this post gets a like is a joke.

It's been explained plenty of times that the financial situation of the club is nowhere near rosy or even as good as Arsenal's. Yet, we have oppo fans coming on here, reading off the Jenas handbook and lecturing people who have taken the time to actually understand the issues facing the club.

OleGunnar20

Have you seen Sam on UnitedPeoplesTV? He is not as Clickbait and Tabloid like The United Stand.
I haven't. Will give that a go, cheers.
I have yet to find a single decent United channel or podcast to listen to be honest. I find myself listening to the Spurs and Crystal Palace ones which are far more entertaining and realistic. Up until last season, if you wanted a crash course in Samaritan counselling training, the Arsenal podcasts were amazing - the funniest thing online. After that, the perpetual fury of Everton fans raises a smile. :)

The United ones seem to manage to find the most boring monotonic presenters available.
Samaritan counselling training :lol: I quite like the Cafe podcast United Hour. Football weekly & the odd episode of Price of Football are also worth a listen I reckon.

But ayye, it's weird how bad the content is for a club our size.

Last edited:

StamsShinyHead

"SAF you're an old dick, but I respect you."

I quite like Talk of the Devils.

Marcus

The Glazers have a habit of backing the manager and spending big when we're out of top 4 it's all about getting the champions league money, hopefully the new owner will be more ambitious than that and back the manager with what's needed to actually win things
This. United was just a dividend generating machine to them.

Syphon Wallet

Has our current debt prevented us from spending the most (or up there) of any PL club the last decade?

Don't get me wrong, wiping the debt, investing in infrastructure, these are all great things with outstanding long term impact. But nothing you'd expect to change our behaviour in the market over a year or two.
So what about that debt that is now starting to get out of control?
Some of us just want that sorted, so we can invest in the stadium and move forward as a club under our own volition.
Not be saddle with a debt that is only there due to parasitic ownership.

If you want to focus on transfer spend, it will have to be much more frugal going forward, if the current ownership were to continue.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Interesting, most I speak to specifically don't want Qatar. It's interesting on the different viewpoints.

To be fair the majority of polls open to members of the fanbase that mostly go week in week out (United We Stand for example) have come down pretty strongly on the side of Radcliffe's bid.
Ye it is interesting and obviously even our matchgoing fan base is huge with many different opinions represented, I guess we can all only talk anecdotally about our own personal network

IIRC that UWS poll was several months ago, unless there has been a new one?

I think opinions have swayed away from Ratcliffe as more info has come out over the months. In particular his option to buy only part of the shares has not gone down well with the matchgoing massive, also question marks over how he would finance a new stadium.

Just like on here, there is definitely a split on the Jassim Vs Jim debate and many are not that happy with either option, but every matchgoer i know would take both ahead of staying with the Glazers

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I think Sultan mentioned similar amongst matchgoing fans as well, unless i am mistaken now.

Hey bud. Yeah maybe i threw that around "too easily" but kinda reading between the lines or interpreting what wumminator was saying, or trying to push. Maybe when i say "some", I should just say a couple who are very active in this thread to correct myself :lol:
He is part of the vocal minority with an extremist view

I do know matchgoers who are against the Qatari bid but I don't know any who say they would stop going if they took over

Giggsyking

Good thread:

That is the right answer to this hilarious thread. I put more money, time and passion into united than 3 locals combined.

So this take is stupid.

People in the far east or far west needs to wake up in the middle if the night to watch a game.

II would argue for me they are far more committed to the club than a local who is 10 minutes walk from the club.

Mou Mou Land

Just like on here, there is definitely a split on the Jassim Vs Jim debate and many are not that happy with either option, but every matchgoer i know would take both ahead of staying with the Glazers
I think INEOS's problem is that as details of the bid come out it is being seen more and more as just an extension of the Glazers rule. The Qatari bid is popular because it promises 100% severance from them.

Reactions: Rood

Neil67

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2021/22
Ye it is interesting and obviously even our matchgoing fan base is huge with many different opinions represented, I guess we can all only talk anecdotally about our own personal network

IIRC that UWS poll was several months ago, unless there has been a new one?

I think opinions have swayed away from Ratcliffe as more info has come out over the months. In particular his option to buy only part of the shares has not gone down well with the matchgoing massive, also question marks over how he would finance a new stadium.

This is spot on, most of my friends and supporters that I have spoken with were all for Sir Jim 12 months or so ago but once he put his pyjamas on and got in bed with the Glazers, we all jumped out!

fergosaurus

"Let me humbly explain"

Then mentions in every sentence that he's a match-goer so therefore superior to 99% of United fans.

He even looks like an obnoxious wanker.

sifi36

Has our current debt prevented us from spending the most (or up there) of any PL club the last decade?

Don't get me wrong, wiping the debt, investing in infrastructure, these are all great things with outstanding long term impact. But nothing you'd expect to change our behaviour in the market over a year or two.
We have consistently failed to cut our losses on players who aren't good enough, partially because of the write-down in book value that it would entail. If we sell a player for less than the remaining amortisation (even if the fee has long since been paid i.e. Maguire) the loss is taken in the year of the sale, even if the cash left the account years ago. Selling Maguire this Summer for less than ~£27m will result in a loss on the balance sheet. If we can't get that, we won't sell him. If we didn't have £25m in debt interest and £40m in dividends leaving the club every year, we could afford to take that loss.

Our debt is also one of the reasons why we often inexplicably extend contracts, to reduce the annual level of amortisation.

We signed Bruno in 2020 for 65m Euros on a 5.5 year deal.
This results in annual amortisation of 11.8m Euros
With 3 years remaining, his remaining book value was 35.5m Euros
We extended to 2026 (so now four years left)
Amortisation falls to 8.86m Euros

We only tied him down for one more year and all that did is reduce the amortisation costs - we're about to do the same with Lisandro Martinez too apparently. In Bruno's case, the sporting side aligns with the financial side, but what about Eric Bailly or Anthony Martial? Did either of those two deserve their last extensions?

Finally, wiping the debt adds ~£50m to our FFP kitty immediately, which almost certainly will be utilised.

grahamo

Posters asking what would qatar offer?United have by far the biggest fan base in the UK and probably the planet. We deserve owners that are as ambitious as that fan base. We certainly do not deserve those Glazer idiots who know absolutely nothing about football playing football manager with Our club. (Example: Idiot Glazer refusing to sell Martial as Martial is his favourite player!! You couldn't make this sh£& up!)
I believe the qataris would put football people in charge of running the football side of things and give the huge fanbase the infrastructure it should have. Uniteds transfer spending has definitely been hindered by the debt dumped on us by the Glazers. That will stop with a change of ownership for definite. Glazers Out!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
"Let me humbly explain"

Then mentions in every sentence that he's a match-goer so therefore superior to 99% of United fans.

He even looks like an obnoxious wanker.
It actually doesn't say anything like that - you obviously haven't read it properly or misunderstanding it

But it's not much to do with this thread so not sure why it's even posted here

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
We have consistently failed to cut our losses on players who aren't good enough, partially because of the write-down in book value that it would entail. If we sell a player for less than the remaining amortisation (even if the fee has long since been paid i.e. Maguire) the loss is taken in the year of the sale, even if the cash left the account years ago. Selling Maguire this Summer for less than ~£27m will result in a loss on the balance sheet. If we can't get that, we won't sell him. If we didn't have £25m in debt interest and £40m in dividends leaving the club every year, we could afford to take that loss.

Our debt is also one of the reasons why we often inexplicably extend contracts, to reduce the annual level of amortisation.

We only tied him down for one more year and all that did is reduce the amortisation costs - we're about to do the same with Lisandro Martinez too apparently. In Bruno's case, the sporting side aligns with the financial side, but what about Eric Bailly or Anthony Martial? Did either of those two deserve their last extensions?

Finally, wiping the debt adds ~£50m to our FFP kitty immediately, which almost certainly will be utilised.
Really good post, thank you for that. Certainly a different point of view to the impact the debt has.

Like I said, I'm not doubting wiping it will have great benefits down the line, I'd just be wary to expect immediate returns unless a new owner goes on an unparalleled (well there's still Chelsea) spending spree on day one

Crackers

greasy ginfers

Great post, thanks!

kirk buttercup

I admire match day fans and personally would love to go to more matches,but due to Geography or financial constraints, work commitments or Family commitments or number of or multiple other reasons 99% of Man United fans can't attend the matches. Does that make them support the team any less ? I wouldn't think so. Does that stop them spending in other ways on club merchandise, sports packages on TV which United benefit from? No they are usually happy to cough up hard earned cash to support the club. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on who they would like to see take over the club but let's be clear whether you're a match day fan or not we all want what's best for the team we love , we all want to return to the top and see success again, what package that comes in will be debatable on many fronts with Morals and financial issues front and centre. No need to try belittle fans we all are United fans.

grahamo

United fans want Glazers out more than anything . The Ineos bid that keeps the leeches involved straight away proves that Ineos are not listening to the fans. Will this change if the bid is successful? Probably not.

alexthelion

I feel like that guy has overreacted and typed out an entire essay after reading some silly comment from a troll on Twitter. All international fans are not the same, and while he does try to add that as a disclaimer at the end of the tirade, it often sounds like he's grouping everyone into a single less-knowledgeable set of fans who wouldn't know anything about the club unless they are at OT every week.
It's Wum, isn't it.

Telsim

Good thread:

What exactly is good about this thread?

Arguing with an imaginary, self-created foe to make yourself seem better and superior is peak Twitter. What makes it even funnier is that he says he doesn't believe Twitter is real life... and then proceeds to create some unspecified and vague, but monolithic group of the fanbase, all based on a single Twitter reply by another random guy. And then goes further and puts himself above the group he created. Proper Twitter moment.

Unless he is specifically targeting Twitterites, which is probably by far the most illogical and lack of common sense thing you can do. I mean, you can't even prove the person you are responding to actually exists.

Lyng

It actually doesn't say anything like that - you obviously haven't read it properly or misunderstanding it

But it's not much to do with this thread so not sure why it's even posted here
Wasnt that thread also in part a response to some foreign fans who want the match going fans to empty the stadium? And in that regard I agree with him. That having been said the whole notion that match going fans are somehow more commited is moronic at best, given how much some of us pay to watch United. (And I have been to Old Trafford but that cost me alot)

I dont like this whole divide between match going and those who are away. We are all United fans and instead of telling each other what to think or do, we should focus on our love for the club.

alexthelion

Man Utd wouldn't be the global juggernaut they are now if it wasn't for International fans.

Turning up to matches or being from Manchester was important 25-30 years ago when the Premiership wasn't as big but now with world wide audiences, it really doesn't mean as much. Do you think sponsors pay hundreds of millions of pounds every year so a hand full of mancunians can see their name? They pay all that money so audiences in China, Asia, America, Africa can associate their brand with Manchester Utd.

Before you get on your high horse and proclaim you are the gatekeepers for supporting Man Utd, keep in mind United wouldn't have a tenth of their spending power if it wasn't for international fans.
This.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ratcliffe wanting to keep the Glazers to try and trump Jassim is something I understand. To me, it's not even about that.

I just think his ownership of Nice has been awful. It reeks of incompetence.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/20/manchester-united-fans-nice-jim-ratcliffe-psg - Just take a gander at that. If anyone wants to debunk the stories in that article, I'm all ears.

Some highlights:

"This version of Nice, owned by a detached pharmaceutical company and lacking a true sporting director or smart recruitment policy, was unrecognisable from the precise and methodical outfit run by Rivère, Favre and Fournier in 2017.

The lack of planning and joined-up thinking left Nice with a talented but horribly disjointed squad this season.

Having taken two months to even attend a game after buying the club, Ratcliffe’s ownership of Nice can be described as “hands-off”. However, his decision-making over the last three years – although admittedly indirectly via Rivère, who remains something of a figurehead president, his brother and Brailsford – has led to Nice’s continued stagnation. The supposed aim of becoming PSG’s main rivals in Ligue 1 has never really looked like being realised. In the last 12 months alone, Ineos have sacked Fournier, Favre and Galtier, while also sidelining the popular and previously successful Rivère.

Less than six years ago, Rivère, Fournier and Favre led the best-club run club in Ligue 1, a project that became a model for the rest of the division. The future may yet be bright for Nice, but there has been plenty of change and even some chaos during Ratcliffe’s reign."

A Nice fan on Reddit: "He’s been terrible. Promising/lying to us multiple times about his dedication to the club. Putting at top management his protege Dave Brailsford who doesn’t know much about football and did the worst recruitment this summer. I think INEOS doesn’t understand football. I feel for MU fan when they will find out."

He seems more incompetent than Woodward/the Glazers in terms of running a football club.

greenoffpearson

I admire match day fans and personally would love to go to more matches,but due to Geography or financial constraints, work commitments or Family commitments or number of or multiple other reasons 99% of Man United fans can't attend the matches. Does that make them support the team any less ? I wouldn't think so. Does that stop them spending in other ways on club merchandise, sports packages on TV which United benefit from? No they are usually happy to cough up hard earned cash to support the club. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on who they would like to see take over the club but let's be clear whether you're a match day fan or not we all want what's best for the team we love , we all want to return to the top and see success again, what package that comes in will be debatable on many fronts with Morals and financial issues front and centre. No need to try belittle fans we all are United fans.
Agree, but if you live within a stones throw of Old Trafford and can afford to go why would you not go? Would it really be an effort or strain surely the inverse.

If you live on the edge of Lancashire then more variables are involved and the Midlands, Ireland Scandinavia, Nigeria or Australia even more.

Being lucky enough to go to the match is a privilege not a chore or burden?

I have a family friend who recently travelled from Australia, he spent thousands on travel/hotels for himself his wife and son, scalped for tickets, it wasn't even one of the better games, looted the shop. For him it was dream come true.

I admire fans like him and the fans who go to away games, that is where there is real effort involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

spwd

Status
Not open for further replies.