Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teja

Stock not rising any more though. Should be, shouldn't it?
There's always uncertainty, so it'll trade at a discount until the takeover's all but done. The deal might still fall through, the PL might reject Qatar etc. etc.

JagUTD

:lol:

Starting to think after successfully convincing Jassim to up his bid, twice, they're now going to see if they can convince Ratcliffe to do the same.

Teja

Absolutely buzzing! Just the idea of not having to think about the Glazers makes me so happy.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
From the story:

Manchester United would not be allowed to negotiate with any bidder other than Sheikh Jassim for the exclusivity period. It could not be learned how long this period may last. The sources cautioned that the situation remained fluid and a new bid from Ratcliffe could prevent Sheikh Jassim from securing exclusivity.
Right, so nothing is locked in until the LOI is signed, but sounds like we're on the verge, otherwise this release wouldn't have come out.

MTF

Stock not rising any more though. Should be, shouldn't it?
Thinking in terms of pure probability of the full takeover deal (the deal that the stock most benefits from), the likelihood has gone up on this report, but is not yet that close to the sort of 99% that would send the stock pretty much up to the acquisition price. Negotiating exclusivity is still a step before exclusivity agreed, and then deal agreed. There's still room for SJR to up his bid, as the story explains.

Blood Mage

The crazy thing is this could still be a private bid for all we know and we're all getting giddy thinking we're about to become a financial superpower.

RedDevil250

I'd imagine so, though they're a financial site, no a sports one right? Dno if that makes them more or less reliable
Probably more reliable on this. This isn't specifically sports related news, this is a large business move involving a sports club. Lots of non-sports people involved here unlike a transfer, for example.

Teja

Yep.

Going to miss this thread.
I'm not, this is a contender for the worst thread in the history of the Caf. I thought it'll take some doing to beat the FdJ thread but here we are less than a year later.

Castia

I can finally say today I am Qatari

Feels like we've just won the treble

Ibrahimorich

It will happen. It’s inevitable. It might not be right away, but it will. We will one day be involved in a transfer, or a re-development, or a something which requires us to spend more than we’d budgeted for, or should be able to spend, and the people that own us, who’ve never had to deal with not getting their way or encountered a problem they couldn’t solve with money, will find a way to get that money used for their gain….

Just like City did, despite it being perfectly possible to grow them more organically over time, just like Newcastle are already doing with their sponsors, despite already being a more “marketable” team than City were, and just like Qatar themselves did with the Neymar & Mbappe deals that broke the transfer market, or the World Cup bid that saw 7 FIFA officials arrested in the aftermath and a criminal investigation opened into the bidding process FFS!

it will happen. And all the same people will excuse it and defend it, precisely because being Man Utd will be the perfect cover for it, and a much more easily defendable reason for spending ludicrous sums. And even if it doesn’t, there will always be doubts as to whether it had. That’s tainting. It’s what tainting is. City haven’t been “convicted” of anything yet, but their success is tainted because everyone already believes they have.
So yes, it will happen.

You think it’s annoying having “moralists” in our own fanbase now? You’re gonna get bored of “defending” it. And of seeing everyone portray our non-state owned rivals as “proper” clubs and the moral victors whenever they beat us.

That’s the trade off. It’s absolutely fine to some, I’m sure. Many even. And being resigned to it is perfectly fine. But forgive me if I find the celebration and pre-emptive defence of it pretty gross, and entirely alien to how I engage with supporting this club, and my love of football in general.

And forgive me if I don’t in good faith think that a lot (not all) of people now pretending it’s all because of their newly found rabid hatred of the Glazers (no Glazer thread on this site has ever been as long or contentious as this!) wouldnt have been the same people dismissing or laughing at those who initially opposed them… because the snarky “I wonder whether those pesky moralists will still support the club or feck off!?” rhetoric sounds exactly like some past insults lobbied at United fans during a takeover… and it wasn’t by those against it.
Amen

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It will happen. It’s inevitable. It might not be right away, but it will. We will one day be involved in a transfer, or a re-development, or a something which requires us to spend more than we’d budgeted for, or should be able to spend, and the people that own us, who’ve never had to deal with not getting their way or encountered a problem they couldn’t solve with money, will find a way to get that money used for their gain….

Just like City did, despite it being perfectly possible to grow them more organically over time, just like Newcastle are already doing with their sponsors, despite already being a more “marketable” team than City were, and just like Qatar themselves did with the Neymar & Mbappe deals that broke the transfer market, or the World Cup bid that saw 7 FIFA officials arrested in the aftermath and a criminal investigation opened into the bidding process FFS!

it will happen. And all the same people will excuse it and defend it, precisely because being Man Utd will be the perfect cover for it, and a much more easily defendable reason for spending ludicrous sums. And even if it doesn’t, there will always be doubts as to whether it had. That’s tainting. It’s what tainting is. City haven’t been “convicted” of anything yet, but their success is tainted because everyone already believes they have.
So yes, it will happen.

You think it’s annoying having “moralists” in our own fanbase now? You’re gonna get bored of “defending” it. And of seeing everyone portray our non-state owned rivals as “proper” clubs and the moral victors whenever they beat us.

That’s the trade off. It’s absolutely fine to some, I’m sure. Many even. And being resigned to it is perfectly fine. But forgive me if I find the celebration and pre-emptive defence of it pretty gross, and entirely alien to how I engage with supporting this club, and my love of football in general.

And forgive me if I don’t in good faith think that a lot (not all) of people now pretending it’s all because of their newly found rabid hatred of the Glazers (no Glazer thread on this site has ever been as long or contentious as this!) wouldnt have been the same people dismissing or laughing at those who initially opposed them… because the snarky “I wonder whether those pesky moralists will still support the club or feck off!?” rhetoric sounds exactly like some past insults lobbied at United fans during a takeover… and it wasn’t by those against it.
I've not posted since the cup final. Thought it was worth bumping this and saying extremely well said.

What a strange day to support Utd. I find it all depressing.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Feels like we are so close to getting rid of them, finally. Go on Jassim!!

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Thinking in terms of pure probability of the full takeover deal (the deal that the stock most benefits from), the likelihood has gone up on this report, but is not yet that close to the sort of 99% that would send the stock pretty much up to the acquisition price. Negotiating exclusivity is still a step before exclusivity agreed, and then deal agreed. There's still room for SJR to up his bid, as the story explains.
thanks, was getting a bit too muppety

sparx99

So yes, it will happen.

We have no need to. Utd have spent enough on players to compete but spent poorly. We haven't spent enough on Old Trafford or Carrington but infrastructure investment is allowed outside of FFP. It would have no need to be hidden.

cyberman

:lol:

Starting to think after successfully convincing Jassim to up his bid, twice, they're now going to see if they can convince Ratcliffe to do the same.
Na, can’t see a point now. Qatar would just up theirs slightly as they have twice within the last 2 weeks.
It was all about chiselling out the two Glazers and working that angle for Jim. With that seemingly gone his bid will be too.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jim officially drop out before tonight

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

So yes, it will happen.

And forgive me if I don’t in good faith think that a lot (not all) of people now pretending it’s all because of their newly found rabid hatred of the Glazers (no Glazer thread on this site has ever been as contentious as this!) wouldnt have been the same people dismissing or laughing at those who initially opposed them… because the “I wonder whether those moralist will still support the club!?” rhetoric sounds exactly like some past insults lobbied at United fans during a decisive takeover… and it wasn’t by those against it.
Great post @Mockney. Well argued. It’s plain as the nose on your face, but important to keep swimming, keep speaking, even if it’s against the tide. Honour to the dead of February 1958.

MTF

So yes, it will happen.

I'm very much of this mind too. It will happen, and not because it is strictly necessary, but because it's the way that Qatar has conducted most of its business in sport, as you outline so well.

jm99

So yes, it will happen.

I suppose if you have the power of precognition and know that Qatar will cheat, despite now oil state ever having bought a club in the same stratosphere as United, making it totally unique, then it's understandable why you'd be against them, as for me I'll wait til they actually do something before saying that as I lack psychic powers

Status
Not open for further replies.