Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fair enough. Seems counterproductive of the club/Glazers to put that info out there, but we'll see how it shakes out. Like I said, I can't read the article to see who his source is due to the paywall. Just going off a summary I read elsewhere, and him retweeting another tweet claiming Qatar to be the source.

Can you post a link/copy and paste where you got this info?
Which is why I’m inferring that the Qataris have entered an exclusive period and INEOS are out and Qatar already know that.

Hence why the talk now is Qatar or (if a final agreement cannot be found) they fall back to minority investment.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ok fair enough that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it

The third largest shareholder has sent a letter in making their thoughts clear on it and it’s been reported that the minority owning hedge funds are threatening legal action over it so I guess that’s their opinions and they’re entitled to that too.
I just think the situation is muddied by the fact that there are 6 or 7 Class B shareholders. For example, if 1 Class B shareholder sold each year for the next 6 or 7 years, where would that leave the Class A shareholders? It's the same in principle except they're all going at once. If it was held by one single company then it could be argued a lot easier that they have left the minority shareholders high and dry, but can you prevent individual shareholders from simply selling their shares?

And that is before we get to the possibility of 2 shareholders remaining. In that case, who is liable to the minority shareholders or could they prove that they have suffered a loss in that case? I don't know the legal ramifications to any of this, but I'm just looking at it from a logical approach and I'm not convinced that an individual holding 10-20% of the shares can be prevented from selling up.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Which is why I’m inferring that the Qataris have entered an exclusive period and INEOS are out and Qatar already know that.

Hence why the talk now is Qatar or (if a final agreement cannot be found) they fall back to minority investment.
Well that's something different altogether and is simply a guess on your part. But if you are correct, shouldn't the Glazers be announcing this to shareholders also in their best interests?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I just think the situation is muddied by the fact that there are 6 or 7 Class B shareholders. For example, if 1 Class B shareholder sold each year for the next 6 or 7 years, where would that leave the Class A shareholders? It's the same in principle except they're all going at once. If it was held by one single company then it could be argued a lot easier that they have left the minority shareholders high and dry, but can you prevent individual shareholders from simply selling their shares?

And that is before we get to the possibility of 2 shareholders remaining. In that case, who is liable to the minority shareholders or could they prove that they have suffered a loss in that case? I don't know the legal ramifications to any of this, but I'm just looking at it from a logical approach and I'm not convinced that an individual holding 10-20% of the shares can be prevented from selling up.
Which is all fine but we’re not talking about a simple private sale of shares here.

You seem to be hell bent on ignoring the bit where they started this entire process as directors of the company promising to act in the best interests of shareholders, fans and stakeholders in a statement from the club.

That statement says that:

The Raine Group is acting as the Company’s exclusive financial advisor and Latham & Watkins LLP is legal counsel to the Company.

Rothschild and Co. is acting as exclusive financial advisor to the Glazer family shareholders.

strandty

Well that's something different altogether and is simply a guess on your part. But if you are correct, shouldn't the Glazers be announcing this to shareholders also in their best interests?
They have to release any material news that may impact the share price to the NYSE as per below:

The SEC recently approved an amendment to Section 202.06 of the NYSE Listed Company Manual to prohibit the issuance of material news by listed companies in the period immediately after the official closing time for the Exchange’s trading session until the earlier of publication of such company’s official closing price on the Exchange or five minutes after the official closing time. The Exchange’s official closing time is generally 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time (except that on certain days the official closing time occurs early at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time).

Consistent with the text of the rule prior to the most recent amendment, Section 202.06 continues to include advisory text recommending that listed companies not issue material news until 15 minutes after the scheduled closing time on the Exchange.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think it can be taken as read that either Qatar buys the club or nobody does. The latter seems unsustainable in the long run - but a stalemate between Glazers could run for a while.

Tiber

Not a peep out of the agm yesterday? Must have been a dull meeting if even the twitter bullshitters aren't talking about it

RedDevilRoshi

I think it can be taken as read that either Qatar buys the club or nobody does. The latter seems unsustainable in the long run - but a stalemate between Glazers could run for a while.
That’s my main worry with this too.

I wonder how patient Jassim will be then before he decides to call it quits himself due to the never ending longevity circus this whole saga has been.

Lost bear

Yeah I’ve bought a bunch of shares because I was happy to put my money where my mouth is - with what we know about the clubs finances, since the beginning logic has said that Qatar will win this.

That’s completely beside the point though and I think you know that and are arguing in bad faith now.

I’ll break it down for you one last time.

1. Last year the Glazers put out a statement saying they were exploring strategic alternatives which include investment or sale. They made clear this was to benefit the club, fans, shareholders and stakeholders.
  2. Off the back of that statement the share price rocketed.
  3. The Glazers have two offers.
    1. One ticks all the boxes of what they promised including premium for the shareholders and major investment in the club (which will satisfy fans and stakeholders like sponsors etc).
    2. The other is a nice little earner for them. Has no promise to clear debt and no promise of investment.
Now nothing was stopping them putting out a statement that they were looking to exit and their shares were for sale but they didn’t do that. They made an official statement as directors of the club.

They are directors of the company. They have responsibility to their shareholders. They currently have an offer that will make a lot of people a LOT of money, my shares are so few they are inconsequential, I’m under no illusion of that however, there are firms holding tens of millions of dollars worth of MUFC shares on behalf of their clients and they will be arming themselves with huge legal teams if the Glazers do not act in their best interests.
Let's hope so.

Barthez

State of the over privileged Glazer siblings arguing over billions of dollars when not one of the clowns invested a single cent, yet feel they are entiled to hundreds of millions each. Even that doesn't seem enough to fund their greed. Absolute Rats the lot em'

croadyman

Worrying that Qatar seemingly is the only real bid being considered yet they still haven't signed off on it

The nightmare of them doing a no sale seems to be unfolding by the day
Yeah that is a very valid concern

MTF

Not a peep out of the agm yesterday? Must have been a dull meeting if even the twitter bullshitters aren't talking about it
It was explained here a hundred times but no one listened. Nothing happens at AGMs for 99.9% of companies nowadays.

croadyman

Easily the worst. Not even close is it

They've taken the most historic and beautiful team in World football and turned them into this

If they were never born then United would probably have the strongest and best squad in the World right now
Yeah City would never have won half of the trophies because players would be here

Infra-red

Official press release from Manchester United in the capacity of directors, not private shareholders:

Key quote:

“Throughout this process we will remain fully focused on serving the best interests of our fans, shareholders, and various stakeholders.”

Following this statement the share price rocketed.

If the Glazers accept an offer where they exit selling only their own shares at a premium when there is another offer that gets a premium price for all shareholders, can you explain to me how they have not reneged on the promise they made as directors?

The other offer also includes major investment in the club and the removal of debt. A promise which also fulfils the criteria of their statement and promise last year.
I would have thought that the bigger issue is the dual class share structure's unequal voting rights (10 v 1) and the clause that stipulates that class B shares automatically revert to class A shares at point of sale when sold to anyone outside the Glazer family (provided that the family still retains at least 15% of the shares).

The class A shareholders would have every right to expect that if the Glazers were selling a portion of their class B shares to, for example, Ineos, that their voting position as class A shareholders would consequently improve (since a portion of the class B shares with 10x voting rights were being converted to class A). Ineos would of course never agree to take on 50.1% of the club while only acquiring a minority of the voting rights, so the Glazers would have to construct a deal whereby the 10x voting power of their class B shares was retained, even while being sold outside the family to Ineos.

The Inoes M&A team are highly experienced and they, the club and the Glazers have been taking legal advice throughout, so I will be surprised if conflict with the class A institutional holders has killed off SJR's bid, but, that does appear to be what has happened, if David Hellier from Bloomberg is to be believed.

Last edited:

Infra-red

Anyone know where we can buy this creme? Also, I'll probably regret asking this, but anyone know what it is made from?

New Era 77

I'm surprised the Glazers haven't stripped the club by selling the land of the stadium is on, in return for a long lease arrangement, which will be paid by the club etc

There is still plenty of money for them to remove before they sell up for a big price.

captaincantona

Is this possible -
Apparently we are negotiating with any number of players agents and clubs etc. Mount, Onana, previously KMJ and now Caicedo. Surely the new owners would have significant interest in such signings and investments. So what deal has been struck with the bidders to ensure these negotiations can take place ?

is it possible that common sense has won out? An announcement of a new billionaire owner and inevitable transfer warchest at this point would literally add on 15 million to every player we go after. Maybe the successful bid has already been accepted and a NDA or some sort signed to stop the news leaking until after the transfers have been sorted?

As a fan I’m gonna forget worrying about the takeover and focus on transfers - don’t give a fuk who owns us anyway but I do care if we start next season with no striker or back up for Casemiro.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Is this possible -
Apparently we are negotiating with any number of players agents and clubs etc. Mount, Onana, previously KMJ and now Caicedo. Surely the new owners would have significant interest in such signings and investments. So what deal has been struck with the bidders to ensure these negotiations can take place ?

is it possible that common sense has won out? An announcement of a new billionaire owner and inevitable transfer warchest at this point would literally add on 15 million to every player we go after. Maybe the successful bid has already been accepted and a NDA or some sort signed to stop the news leaking until after the transfers have been sorted?

As a fan I’m gonna forget worrying about the takeover and focus on transfers - don’t give a fuk who owns us anyway but I do care if we start next season with no striker or back up for Casemiro.
Going off of what people in here have said prior, this would be the kind of fraud that gets you in to too much bother for it to be worth trying.

Matthew84!

I know this probably has been answered somewhere, I'm just curious why Jassim hasn't just bought up all the shares not owned by the Glazers already? Could he not buy up the shares of the siblings that want to sell and then force the rest out?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't think it's a case of all six having to agree on a course of action and any one sibling having the ability to kibosh it.

Surely there must be a deciding mechanism that a PLC has to follow in this scenario?
United haven't been a PLC for a long time

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I know this probably has been answered somewhere, I'm just curious why Jassim hasn't just bought up all the shares not owned by the Glazers already? Could he not buy up the shares of the siblings that want to sell and then force the rest out?
Answer to the first is because it would be expensive and unfruitful and the second is that the way the shares are set up he couldn't get a majority stake without the holdouts agreeing to sell at least some shares to him.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think they convert to Class A shares in that scenario.There’s a mechanism to transfer B shares to someone else and retain voting rights and my guess is that it requires a vote from all other B class holders.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
The Glazers (all six) will sell ALL their shares to the 92F, it’s just a matter of time. It’s legally and financially their best option.

If they eventually end up in a legal dispute there’s a possibility it could jeopardize their other businesses including their ownership in TBB. Even if the possibilities are slim they will NOT take that route.

I’m no legal expert but common sense says that six media shy families who values wealth above everything else don’t want to end up in a public legal dispute with a uncertain outcome. The downsides by far outweighs the eventual financial upsides.

Btw. I said already in beginning of this sales process that I didn’t saw Ratcliffe as a serious buyer. Too much uncertainty was involved to take him seriously. I still stand by that comment.

JB7

Think Mike Ashley is much worse. What about the chicken farmers of Blackburn?
In fairness as bad as he was, even Ashley paid off Newcastle's debts when he took over rather than loading his own debts onto the club, and then put his own money into the club as interest free loans when they were struggling which meant they didn't have to fork out millions in interest payments. Don't get me wrong Ashley didn't invest in the club or encourage their various departments to progress, and somewhat left it to rot as long as the Premier League money was rolling, as such there is no real defence for his style of ownership, but he cannot be considered to be on the same level as the Glazers.

I don't really think it's possible to overstate how astonishing it is we've managed to maintain the relative levels that we have done with the eye-watering sums that have been taken out of the club during their ownership. It's not even that far off the level of money that took City from being the club they were in 2007 to the club they are today. I don't know how many other clubs in the world would have survived being owned by this family.

JagUTD

I believe he also mentioned 3 of the Independent directors at the Club have also confirmed they won't be voting in favour of Ineos bid in Current form unless they get some sort of Understanding with minority shareholders who are threatening to Sue .
How many directors are they in total? Assuming 6 are the Glazers themselves.

JagUTD

On what basis can the minority shareholders prevent the Glazers selling their shares?

It doesn't make sense. It's not as if they are being offered less for their shares, they would still hold them and if anything, they would increase in value at the point of sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.