Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

Ineos 25% with the Glazers remaining is a deal that doesn't really do anyone any favours, least of all, United fans. Likely means no infrastructure investment and the Glazers running the show for at least another few years. I suppose, from Ratcliffe’s perspective, it's a foot in the door and would put the Qataris out of contention once and for all.

Weird to see this story coming out at almost exactly the same time as the Beckham PR guff, though. Certainly gives the impression that something is going to happen, finally.

stevoc

The vast majority where interpreted it how? I dont recall this - anyway my point is he didn't say it would be soon. He also caveated it was under the current bid structure from Ratcliffe which since changed.
It was interpreted by many as a major business news outlet confirming that the Qatar takeover was imminent. Let's not forget it was only about a week after the Reuters exclusivity nonsense.

It's not irrelevant. The writer who penned the article came on to give context on his article and why he thought Qatar would win (because his sources on the side of Ratcliffe + United board stated unsease from Class A Shareholders around his bid).
It is to me and my original point. It was probably nothing more than an effort to save face anyway.

My point is the same -Bloomberg didn't say it would be completed soon. Their premise of Qatar being sole runners was also based on the premise that Ratcliffe doesn't change his bid - which he now has.
No but they reported what the Qataris were thinking which amounted to as much.

Anyway you've defended Bloombergs honour, lets stop boring people with this shite.

FujiVice

I mean, its a terrible deal for us, but there are positives. Radcliffe will be way more hands on as 25% owner than the Glazers are. Things you'd think will get done quicker. He's a football man, so will know certain people to get certain aspects of this club rocking again. Paul Mitchell for instance is someone we're desperate for. Radcliffe getting his feet under the table would be cause for celebration about 2 years ago.

But this club needs so much doing to it, its gone way past minority investment. We need playing staff, backroom staff, an upgraded training facility, massive improvement to the stadium. This needs a full takeover.

putzmcgee123

Ineos 25% with the Glazers remaining is a deal that doesn't really do anyone any favours, least of all, United fans. Likely means no infrastructure investment and the Glazers running the show for at least another few years. I suppose, from Ratcliffe’s perspective, it's a foot in the door and would put the Qataris out of contention once and for all.

Weird to see this story coming out at almost exactly the same time as the Beckham PR guff, though. Certainly gives the impression that something is going to happen, finally.
Exactly, and finally...just put us out of our misery already. If we are to believe what is reported, we should now be well on our way to either Ratcliffe striking a deal or the Qataris raising their valuation to a number the Glazers will accept. Frankly would still baffle me if the Qataris don't hit the "magic number" after all of this, but who knows.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Surely the 25% offer boxes the Glazers into a corner? Ratcliffe will surely want to agree a future full buyout fee now, but how does that benefit the Glazers? The club could be worth £2 billion or £20 billion 5 years down the line. Nobody knows.

Ratcliffe will want it based on the current value, the Glazers on potential future value. I can’t see how the details on a full take over could be agreed now.

stevoc

Weren't Bloomberg saying it was done dealio for Qatar back in June?
They reported that Qater were very confident they'd be taking over Manchester United in the near future...

...or the far future.

sirAlexsglasses

Last time I looked in here, the celebrations for Qatar has begun but just a day later, it's now Ratcliffe?

Come on guys, surely you've learnt the game by now?
Exactly my friend, rinse and repeat ad infinitum, which is exactly why I do not get caught up in this and debate.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I truly believe, as others have said, this bloomberg report is an attempt from the Glazers to get Qatar to pay up a bit more
I know feck all about all this business shit, so correct me if I'm wrong. But surely Bloomberg wouldn't be willing to help the Glazers with the sale like this. Right?

spwd

I'm not a finance person and have no idea how it all works etc. I just don't see how the Glazers are going to agree to a deal where they sell a bit of the club and are forced into investing that and get nothing from it. Whats actually in it for the Glazers at this point?
Same here, it just doesn't make any sense.

Solid post and for the Glazers to increase the value of the club from its already inflated value of £5.5 billion current bid, the following would have to happen ;

1. United become consistently successful on the pitch
2. The £1.5 billion paid to the Glazers assuming £1.1bn goes to them and £250m goes to Class A Share holders and £150m into the club for Cashflow.

Where is the money coming to pay off the £1 billion debt, £1 billion to modernise the stadium and £500m to invest in the Squad. The Glazers will have to invest £30m of that £1.1billion this year, the following year and the year after just to prevent serious FFP Fines and Sanctions.
3. At least £250m additional money needs to be invested in modernising Carrington
4. Regular CL football for each of the next three consecutive seasons.
5. Should INEOS take control and Nice finish in the top 3 of French league either United or Nice will not be allowed to play CL as a conflict of interests.
6. United would have to be given their own TV deal to screen every match on their own platform to really increase revenue to the levels that increase the value of the club to £8-10billion
7. They qualify for the club World Cup every 4 years starting in 2025.
8. Domestic and overseas TV rights go up by 30-40% when the new deal is finalised.

Awful lot of if’s and maybe’s however they will not sell to Qatar until they up their bid to £6 billion!
According to @Rojiofam jim will somehow magic it all out of his ass out of the goodness of his own heart so the galziers don't have to spend any of their hard earned windfall! :houllier:

Last time I looked in here, the celebrations for Qatar has begun but just a day later, it's now Ratcliffe?

Come on guys, surely you've learnt the game by now?
Exactly predicted by @Woziak

Cantonagotmehere

At least you guys had a good season. Now imagine being an Oakland A’s fan like myself. Probably the worst owner in all of sports.
Very fair. But John Angelos said, we wont be able to keep all these players ...in the middle of this season. Idiot, like his dad.

But yes, mate, good luck. I had an old A's hat a buddy gave me in college. Wore its for ages. Best uni's in baseball.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
You have to be extremely naive to think Glazers will reinvest the money received from 25% sale. They are not accepting 5b from Qatar because they want more money. Now suddenly they want to sell 25% of their asset and reinvest that back into the football club? Not going to happen.

They are receiving money for their equity and have never put any significant investment in the football club. I dont think they will invest their equity investment now back into the football club after no investment in last 18 years

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
the ER reporting has been delay for weeks and usually a board meeting is required to review the ER report before disclosure. So there is definitely something imminent behind the scene happening.

imo there must be an offer (probably the SJR one) whic has been generally accpeted by the majority owners (the Glazers siblings) and this proposal will be presented on the board meeting for voting. If nothing dramatic happens, thats it. SJR will be the minority owner.

SmallCaine

Almost everything you wrote is totally wrong, made up or irrelevant.

Ratcliffe has enjoyed sporting success in both cycling and F1. His Nice project had stagnated for a few years, sure, but it hasn't been a failure and there are a lot of positives to take away from it, especially recent results and appointments. The takeover has made them financially secure and they aren't under pressure to sell their best players anymore. Not for cheap, anyway. I know they haven't blindly thrown hundreds of millions of euros onto every issue (because I guess that's what most of you really want), but they've been improving both on and off the pitch and getting smarter with operating the club. They've appointed a new, promising sporting director and new, younger managers in Digard and Fariola in place of older, probably less riskier options (especially in the public eye) in Galtier and Favre. They've spent €264 million in the transfer market so far, more than 2.5 times the amount that they bought the club for. Whilst they are definitely not a project where Ratcliffe comes in and burns money like Boehly at Chelsea or Qatar at PSG, it has overall been getting better in the last ~12 months and they are learning from their mistakes...admittedly, you can't really compare this to how they would potentially run one of the biggest clubs in the world in United, but it's not been a failure at all. It's also been a much more sensible and likeable approach than to build a toxic culture and senselessly spend billions on the tranfer market on big names, without any vision, just to show the world how wealthy you are...because what I've just described is exactly what PSG have done in the last 12 years without showing any signs of realizing their mistakes after more than a whole decade. Remember 2021? Hakimi, Danilo Pereira, Nuno Mendes, Messi, Donnarumma, Wijnaldum, Ramos...apparently the "best window ever" for a club...turned out well, didn't it. :) And that was after 10 years of "learning on the job".

Also, what's the evidence that Jassim (if it isn't a state bid) will be able to restore the club to its former glory or even that he'll spend hundreds of millions on players every summer? Has he been involved in any sports operations? Not to mention that he sure as shit doesn't have the money to invest tens, if not hundreds of millions into Manchester United every year for the next 1-2 decades out of his own pocket...he'd have to rely on his dad or the state to provide him further funds besides the rumored 5-5.5bn, which is also not coming from himself, that's for damn certain.

You also claim that Ratcliffe has gone from first wanting a full takeover to a partial one, and now he'll take any % just so that he can claim to own the club. This is completely false, since it's been stated several times by reputable sources that his offer is "flexible", meaning that there are several options on the table ranging from all Glazer shares for 69% of the club, a 50.1% offer with put and call options for the future and now a 25% minority investment that we don't know the details of just yet. If not all 6 of the Glazer siblings want to leave, what can Ratcliffe do? If that deal isn't achievable, then he can try alternative methods to get his foot in or he can be stubborn like Qatar and submit an offer that Joel and Avram won't accept.

Regarding the blood money part of your post: I don't know any western countries that buy football clubs or other sporting institutions in order to buy the sympathy and support of masses of people, do you? If the US, UK or any country wanted to buy United, I would heavily be against that too. If a Russian oligarch wanted the club, I'd be heavily against that too. I know Ratcliffe isn't the cleanest guy around but I'll take him over state-ownership and/or blood money any day of the week.

By the way, do you think gambling is as bad as working poor Asian immigrants to death in 40 Celsius degrees for 16 hours a day, confiscating their passports upon arrival in the country and just generally treating them like subhumans? All this for what, $200 a month? How about human rights issues? How about womens' rights? How about forcing religion down the throat of their own people? How about sentencing underage people to death? How about committing genocide in Gaza, Yemen, etc.? You're just shamelessly defending the Middle East because they have money.

And yes, I know about our Saudi sponsor and strongly condemn it, however, it's drastically different from complete ownership of the club. And we could be self-sufficient even if we didn't have a single sponsor with a controversial background. Not many other clubs in the world out there that can say the same.
I am not a cycling fan so I don't know much about the sport, but what little I have read does make one thing clear, the success his team had before ineos takeover and after are very different and not in a good way. F1 really isn't a good barometer as they are a 1/3rd owner and not in control.

Nice I don't have much to say that you didn't except you left out a major problem with nice, they aren't competing with PSG, they are competing with other teams who don't spend as much money as PSG but quite a few also spend a lot less money than Nice have and seem to be finishing in better position. My issue with Nice isn't they dont compete with for the title it is that they can't even finish in top 4 and they definitely are in the top 4 in terms of spending over the years.

Jassim could ofcourse be another Al khelaifi, an idiot with more money than sense, but he gets the benefit of the doubt right now as he is unproven unlike Ratcliffe who has proven he isn't good at it.

Funny how any argument about blood money issues start with owning football clubs, is it because middle east can only buy football clubs and not clolonize you and make you live how they want you to live? Because if you look at the history book even today much of the big territorial problems in the world can be traced back to Britain drawing arbitrary lines after looting those countries for everything had a fact that made you a lot richer and everyone else a lot poorer. Americans and their allies have the Petro dollar and basically spread their form of crony rulership any time anyone in the world has ideas that go against their interests. Blood money is blood money, it's not drastically different if it comes from a Sheikh who believes women shouldn't get basic rights in ME country or a billionaire who helps pay for politicians who will strip it from a western one.

Also I am not defending the Middle East or Israel (don't even know how their shit comes up in this conversation), they aren't good people it's just the hypocrisy of the so called sport washing shit, to me it's like being ok with a bj but drawing a line at sex when it comes to cheating. Just sounds stupid. You are in bed with the devil just accept it and move on. They own your banks, your local grocery stores, places where you live and work, owning a football club is not somehow a sacrilege when they already own your money and what you eat and where you live.

On human rights violation, western companies and workers will always be one of the many profiting from it. You want to talk about the workers who died building qatar's football pr guess who built those stadiums you will find western architects and western project consultants. The war zones and atrocities you mentioned, guess who is backing the ones committing those atrocities and making money from selling the propogators of violence with arms and ammunition. We live where we live, you are an indirect beneficiary of the evils committed by your governments who you elect, just accept it since we can't really change it.

Last edited:

croadyman

Surely the 25% offer boxes the Glazers into a corner? Ratcliffe will surely want to agree a future full buyout fee now, but how does that benefit the Glazers? The club could be worth £2 billion or £20 billion 5 years down the line. Nobody knows.

Ratcliffe will want it based on the current value, the Glazers on potential future value. I can’t see how the details on a full take over could be agreed now.
Yeah the hopes of a full takeover are fading due to this Ratcliffe minority offer unfortunately

Rednotdead

I don’t believe the Glazers have ever considered Ratcliffe to be a serious contender. He’s just been a useful idiot to play off against Jassim in an attempt to get him to increase his offer. They know Jassim will never walk away from the opportunity to get his hands on the biggest club in world football, no matter what he says. I expect Jassim to succeed in the purchase, no matter how long it takes.Agreement will be reached.

crossy1686

career ending
Not sure why people assume the bigger number wins. It could very well be that the Glazers dont want a full sale, so they put an unrealistic price like 10b like you said. Otherwise I'm not sure what Jassim's people are negotiating if they aren't budging from their (6th?) last offer.
The Glazers will do a full sale if they money is right, they don't give a shit about anything else. Jassim's people haven't made another bid because they currently have the highest bid so why would they bid again? Now INEO's have made another bid I'm sure they'll up theirs also.

A part sale makes less sense than a full sale to them, it's too messy and would stop them from having access to the goose that lays golden eggs.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I know feck all about all this business shit, so correct me if I'm wrong. But surely Bloomberg wouldn't be willing to help the Glazers with the sale like this. Right?
No but what I mean is if its been deliberately told that Ratcliffe is in the lead its putting pressure on SJ to increase his bid. I don't mean they're writing it to help the Glazers.

If they've got the info then it's from a very reliable source, I'm sure of that, but has that source leaked the info deliberately to pile on the pressure?

Pes6Monster

On human rights violation, western companies and workers will always be one of the many profiting from it. You want to talk about the workers who died building qatar's football pr guess who built those stadiums you will find western architects and western project consultants. The war zones and atrocities you mentioned, guess who is backing the ones committing those atrocities and making money from selling the propogators of violence with arms and ammunition. We live where we live, you are an indirect beneficiary of the evils committed by your governments who you elect, just accept it since we can't really change it.
Whataboutery.

The 'West' is not buying Man Utd and the atrocities/dubious business practices you mention are called out by a variety of stakeholders, all of whom would be arrested or executed for 'subversion' in the likes of dictatorships such as Qatar.

Change is possible and it's on you, not 'us', if you continually refuse to pursue it.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I don’t think it’s too far to consider what happens to United once SJR kicks the bucket I mean I know he’s healthy and not in his 80s but he’s not far off.

Then we become just an arm of INEOS, feck me this is going to get real ugly.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Ratcliffe will be the most hated new owner in football history

Brophs

The One and Only
Perhaps incorrectly, I read the Beckham stuff the other way. If he’s speaking in the direction of the fans now it’s not because he/Qatar are confident, it’s because they aren’t, or they’re trying to exert pressure on the Glazers. If Qatar were even remotely close to an agreement, they or the people around them wouldn’t be saying a word.

Brophs

The One and Only
Michael Knighton has been flying below the radar of late. Preparing one last mega bid?

Godfather

A minority investment really is the worst outcome from all possible options. United really never fail to dissapoint

Godfather

Investment into what exactly? We all know the club will not get one penny.
Minority share deal more like. If this materializes I just hope it comes with an option for future purchases of further shares. Without it this would be a huge downer...

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I mean, its a terrible deal for us, but there are positives. Radcliffe will be way more hands on as 25% owner than the Glazers are. Things you'd think will get done quicker. He's a football/Sailing/FI man, so will know certain people to get certain aspects of this club rocking again. Paul Mitchell for instance is someone we're desperate for. Radcliffe getting his feet under the table would be cause for celebration about 2 years ago.

But this club needs so much doing to it, its gone way past minority investment. We need playing staff, backroom staff, an upgraded training facility, massive improvement to the stadium. This needs a full takeover.
Fixed.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I mean, its a terrible deal for us, but there are positives. Radcliffe will be way more hands on as 25% owner than the Glazers are. Things you'd think will get done quicker. He's a football man, so will know certain people to get certain aspects of this club rocking again. Paul Mitchell for instance is someone we're desperate for. Radcliffe getting his feet under the table would be cause for celebration about 2 years ago.

A football man?! Is he feck!

& Mitchell is not the guy we need. He is shocking.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Minority share deal more like. If this materializes I just hope it comes with an option for future purchases of further shares. Without it this would be a huge downer...
Ratcliffe would be the dumbest billionaire if he didnt do otherwise.

But there lies the risk for the Glazers. Will the value of the club increase in the meantime with marginal investment until Ratty goes all full control? Or what Jassim offers today be a safer bet?

Infra-red

It is likely that the Bloomberg story is correct. Ineos have been reworking their bid as previously reported and have now landed on something that is palatable to the Class A shareholders and the Glazers, which will pass without legal challenge. Absent their asking price being met, it most likely is true that this offer from Ineos is, as Bloomberg report, the Glazers preferred offer of those currently on the table. Bloomberg are happy to publish, because the story is true.

That covers the substance of what has been published, but not the question of why it was published. The fact that Ratcliffe is now proceedable allows the Glazers/Raine to have another nibble at the Qataris to see if they can make a big full sale offer that meets (or gets a lot closer) to their asking price. That's why this (nevertheless accurate) piece has been published. If the Qataris don't significantly increase their offer, I assume we'll end up with Ineos' 25% deal, but the Glazers are clearly still open to a full sale at the right price.

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

Seems SJ and SJR are racing in an endless race. Yes there are times Qatar edges ahead, Ratcliffe edges ahead but who cares to be honest. There’s no finish line!

Edit: wtf is that autocorrect!

Status
Not open for further replies.