Club's reply to Sevilla's high ticket prices

Newstar

Supports
Liverpool
Here was my initial take on this...

At first I thought it was great that a club was standing up for their fans, forcing Seville to back down and giving their supporters something back. Seville fans will be fuming with Seville and the club will fix it...

But what if they don't?

After reading some comments and having time to think, it just looks like rich men punishing working class people again, which is exactly what Seville done to Utd.

It's great that the club are willing to give back to their fans, it would of looked much better if it came out of their own pocket. 'Look we aren't standing for this, here is the difference to supporters (say 100k) and we'll fight this with UEFA and get the backing of the FA to ensure that this doesn't happen again.' Instead if you treat each person individually regardless of the the club they support, then Utd have basically just taken from one working class person and given to another working class person.

It's a tough one, I appreciate what Utd are trying to do, and it's not black and white, but at the end of the day the fans are getting something back, but not at the expense of the club. God forbid a football club would actually give something back without damaging their own pockets. Would be nice for once a club takes a hit out their own pockets for the fans and then fight the battle at the top, rather than hit everyday match goers.

Nick7

If United took this hit, it would be expected they would the next time it happens as well. That would also embolden other clubs to do as Sevilla is doing and gouge our fans. That's unsustainable.

Newstar

Supports
Liverpool
If United took this hit it would be expected they would the next time it happens. That would also emboldened other clubs to do as Sevilla is doing and gouge our fans. That's unsustainable.
It's a fair point, as I say it isn't black and white. Initially it looks great but it's really hard to 100% justify another set of fans, just like yourself having to fork out a fortune to go the match. They obviously want Seville to back down, but IF they don't then it hasn't really achieved anything other than replacing one fans money with another. It's risky, but got to be said it would be great if Seville did back down because of this.

Just still a shame that clubs feel they still need to be compensated for doing somehting for their fans. There is a bigger issue surrounding ticket prices in general, maybe doing something this extreme which puts it in the public eye again will help. Just feel sorry for the dad and lad travelling across the continent having to pay a fortune, just like the Utd fans where being asked to.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Great move. It does suck for traveling Sevilla fans but the move is now with Sevilla the football club who should do exactly what we have done.

Excellent move by the club which should pressure Sevilla to back down in this instance and, more importantly, help prevent clubs from attempting similar price hikes in the future.

Only the most cynical of cynics will find fault.

mav_9me

At first I thought it was great that a club was standing up for their fans, forcing Seville to back down and giving their supporters something back. Seville fans will be fuming with Seville and the club will fix it...

But what if they don't?

After reading some comments and having time to think, it just looks like rich men punishing working class people again, which is exactly what Seville done to Utd.

It's great that the club are willing to give back to their fans, it would of looked much better if it came out of their own pocket. 'Look we aren't standing for this, here is the difference to supporters (say 100k) and we'll fight this with UEFA and get the backing of the FA to ensure that this doesn't happen again.' Instead if you treat each person individually regardless of the the club they support, then Utd have basically just taken from one working class person and given to another working class person.

It's a tough one, I appreciate what Utd are trying to do, and it's not black and white, but at the end of the day the fans are getting something back, but not at the expense of the club. God forbid a football club would actually give something back without damaging their own pockets. Would be nice for once a club takes a hit out their own pockets for the fans and then fight the battle at the top, rather than hit everyday match goers.
What about the next time another club tries this and the time after that and so on?

SirAF

Ageist

But what if they don't?

Tbf, United first and foremost have a responsability towards themselves, their shareholders and fans. They have done well for their own fans - can't expect any more.

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re

But what if they don't?

Uefa were approached and wanted nothing to do with it.

This hasn't been a spur of the moment decision, Utd have been negotiating with Sevilla over this since the draw was made.

Sevilla refused to cooperate and were told what our intention was. They still wouldn't back down.

As bad as it is for Sevilla fans it really is down to their club and no one else.

I hope after this Uefa for once do something for the fans and introduce a fair price policy for European games.

Not that they will though....

King.of.Red

good move by our club to show their support for our amazing away supporters. I like this.
now, it's Sevilla fans turn to pressure their club.. haha

SirAF

Ageist

This hasn't been a spur of the moment decision, Utd have been negotiating with Sevilla over this since the draw was made.

Sevilla refused to cooperate and were told what our intention was. They still wouldn't back down.

As bad as it is for Sevilla fans it really is down to their club and no one else.

I hope after this Uefa for once do something for the fans and introduce a fair price policy for European games.

You should most more often! This insight is great, and I imagine this info is not easily available?

Sylar

This really is the best thing United could do. It puts all pressure back on Sevilla.
Whilst it sucks for their fans, it now allows their fans to focus on their own club (rather than United fans complaining about Sevilla club)

And lets be honest, more clubs abroad would start / continue doing this.

Big Andy

Bloke

Judging by the obscene prices for Champions League finals is expect UEFA to not be arsed about price increases...

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
Not sure if everyone is aware, but to implement the 89 euro price for Utds away fans, Sevilla have to charge their own fans in the same area of the ground, the same extortionate amount which they are doing.

This negates any breaches of Uefa policy, hence their reluctance to get involved.

Things might hopefully change after Utds bold move....

Last edited:

gormless

This really is the best thing United could do. It puts all pressure back on Sevilla.
Whilst it sucks for their fans, it now allows their fans to focus on their own club (rather than United fans complaining about Sevilla club)

And lets be honest, more clubs abroad would start / continue doing this.
They have already responded by saying they’re subsidising their own fans. So essentially tickets they may as well have just reduced the ticket price in the first place

Sylar

They have already responded by saying they’re subsidising their own fans. So essentially tickets they may as well have just reduced the ticket price in the first place
They have?
Well I guess its even more of a success then.
I agree they should have reduced the tickets for United, but would never have happened if United didnt put them in this position.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Well, that's fantastic. I retract my objections, it was the right strategy and well done.

iam_kramer

It had to be acted on in my opinion. Other clubs would have done just the same, especially to clubs with good travelling support. I doubt Sevilla will even listen to their supporter clubs never mind actually care about it. It's a pity, but I'm not sure there was another way around it.

I feel for the Sevilla supporters who are getting ripped off due to their own club's lack of principle.

Hope we knock them out.

robinrooney

Gotta feel for the Sevilla fans but it is only due to the greed of their club.

Well done United, about time they stuck up for us on away ticket prices.

We used to get fecked over regularly before the £30 cap was brought in for Prem games.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

This pretty much covers all bases, good post.

gormless

Hawks2008

Sevilla played themselves, feel for their fans though. Hopefully they can subsidise their fans costs too...

Sylar

http://www.sevillafc.es/en/actual/news/sevilla-fc-allocated-2995-tickets-old-trafford

Yeah on mobile so copy and pasting is a nightmare but here is their response
Last week Sevilla FC applied for the full allocation of tickets offered by Manchester United for the second leg of the Round of 16 Champions League tie at Old Trafford. This amounted to 2,995 tickets - 4.1% of the stadium's capacity - which were initially priced at 50, 51 and 60 Pounds.

Owing to questions of security, the Premier League club did not act in accordance with UEFA regulations- which dictate 5% of the stadium's capacity (3,800 seats in this case) should be made available to the visiting club - when ticket prices were announced midway through December. Sevilla FC duly communicated the fixed prices and seat allocation for travelling fans to Manchester United. On the basis of this, Sevilla FC made the formal application for away tickets on the 2nd of January.

Though attempts have been made to reach an agreement on fixed prices for tickets, this was ultimately not possible. For that reason, Sevilla FC will maintain the duly communicated ticket prices. Manchester United have announced a unilateral increase in ticket prices for our fans to ensure away tickets for the second leg cost the same as away tickets for the first.

Sevilla FC will subsidise the price increase for club members travelling to Manchester for said fixture. With this subsidy, the club will guarantee that no club members pay more than the 60 Euros initially specified. Sevilla will be in contact with UEFA over both Manchester United's failure to make 5% of tickets available to away fans, as well as the Club's price increase after a formal application for an away allocation. Sevilla will also look to guarantee that no Sevillista pays a penny more than any Manchester United fan for similar tickets - as competition regulations dictate.

Looks like Sevilla are trying to act the victims here.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Was going to say is this the first ever unanimous thread where we are all proud of the club. Brilliant stuff IMO.

Sylar

Sevilla tweeted about this and put a statement as @gormless said:

But the majority of Sevilla fans are not happy with their greed and see through this.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Was going to say is this the first ever unanimous thread where we are all proud of the club. Brilliant stuff IMO.
We are proud of the club for overcharging Sevilla fans that have nothing to do with this?

There had have to been better ways to deal with this.

Nick7

What do the fans have to do in this? As a Sevilla fan, it's not under my control what the club charges.
But you can still be unhappy that your club is price gouging, no?

We are proud of the club for overcharging Sevilla fans that have nothing to do with this?

There had have to been better ways to deal with this.
Sevilla originally price gouged our fans. We tried to negotiate with them so they would not. They didn't play ball, so we played them at their own game.

Pennywise

What an absolute nonsense from Sevilla. A Genius move from Utd and it has had the desired effect

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
But you can still be unhappy that your club is price gouging, no?

Sevilla originally price gouged our fans. We tried to negotiate with them so they would not. They didn't play ball, so we played them at their own game.
The Sevilla club did this to us. They are the cnuts. Not the fans. We took their cnutish behavior out on their fans. How does this make us different than them.

Kostur

海尔的老板
The Sevilla club did this to us. They are the cnuts. Not the fans. We took their cnutish behavior out on their fans. How does this make us different than them.
If those Sevilla fans will be outraged they can act with their club on their own, they provoked the whole situation. Perhaps if their club doesn't want to listen to us, they'll listen to their own fans. We're not a fecking charity to let our fans get ripped yet again and feel sorry for their fans at the same time.

el3mel

What do the fans have to do in this? As a Sevilla fan, it's not under my control what the club charges.
If Sevilla didn't raise the price of the tickets on our fans I doubt we would have done that, and similar to Sevilla fans I don't think United fans have nothing to do with it. Sevilla acted boldly as if they can raise the price of the tickets as they want.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Looks like Sevilla are trying to act the victims here.
Basically they were upset that the seating allocations wasn’t enough (which could’ve been a security issue)
I still fail to see how that justifies them overcharging United fans for the home match at their stadium.

Nick7

Because Sevilla weren't going to back down. We raised the prices as a last resort against them. We're not "better" than them, but we're not going to let them walk all over our fans.

SirAF

Ageist
Like I said, United have a responsability towards themselves and their own fans. This was Sevilla's own doing - United should not think about their fans.