Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t see him as that similar to Mahrez. Mahrez played wider and was a much better at using his dribbling to beat players one on one. I see Palmer as basically the player Kai Havertz was promised to be at Chelsea.

Mainoldo

When they finally get their FFP sanctioning we should really try and make this guy a priority signing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He has 17 games. No one has ever counted 'starts'.
There’s at least 4 games he played less than 30 mins. People have counted starts for years. It makes sense to differentiate them from late sub appearances.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
One thing we’ve missed out on in recent years being Man City’s only rival is we don’t get the talent they ship to our rivals.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t see him as that similar to Mahrez. Mahrez played wider and was a much better at using his dribbling to beat players one on one. I see Palmer as basically the player Kai Havertz was promised to be at Chelsea.
Exactly. I see Palmer's player profile as very similar to Havertz but he just seems much more comfortable in our team than Kai ever did.

I'm not even saying he's necessarily the better player of the two (at least not yet) but definitely a much better fit for us anyway.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Even if you took away all his pens, 4 goals and 6 assists in 14 starts is genuinely excellent.
And it's not like his pens were when we were leading comfortably or already lost, all of them are extremely likely (next to dead certain in one of the cases) to have seen us come away with less points had he missed.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
There’s at least 4 games he played less than 30 mins. People have counted starts for years. It makes sense to differentiate them from late sub appearances.
This. It's not like it's something new or novel, people have been doing it for as long as I can remember. :lol:

And it more representative to count starts than to count 20 minute cameos as an entire game. For what it's worth, he has a goal contribution every 82 minutes. Or 115 minutes if you take out the penalties. Either way, he's been superb.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
I haven’t seen a single example of it. Can you give some examples?
Well firstly yourself with the stats. Failing to mention half the goals were pens and only counting starts, then another poster explaining that the pens were not just pens, but M&S pens with a cherry on top, and then another bringing up Mount as some kind of ‘gotcha’ to United (despite the fact Mount barely played this season).

Palmer has been a good signing so really no need for the above. Although I appreciate he’s probably the only one that has worked for you so far so there’s a bit more excitement attached.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well firstly yourself with the stats. Failing to mention half the goals were pens and only counting starts, then another poster explaining that the pens were not just pens, but M&S pens with a cherry on top, and then another bringing up Mount as some kind of ‘gotcha’ to United (despite the fact Mount barely played this season).

Palmer has been a good signing so really no need for the above. Although I appreciate he’s probably the only one that has worked for you so far so there’s a bit more excitement attached.
I don’t know man. You’re giving off ‘can’t handle Chelsea player being praised’ vibes ;)

I always count starts, no matter who I’m talking about. Why would 20 min cameos count as the same as full game unless you want it to for your own reasons. Separating them is not inflating stats, it’s putting them in its proper context.

When Kane scores 30 goals, nobody says ‘but hang on, 12 of them were pens’ as a caveat every time he is goals record was discussed.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t know man. You’re giving off ‘can’t handle Chelsea player being praised’ vibes ;)

I always count starts, no matter who I’m talking about. Why would 20 min cameos count as the same as full game unless you want it to for your own reasons. Separating them is not inflating stats, it’s putting them in its proper context.

When Kane scores 30 goals, nobody sa ‘but hang on, 12 of them were pens’ as a caveat every time he is goals record was discussed.
Not really. Just adding some grounding to the debate. As I say the player has done well enough without what I just talked about.

When you score 30 goals sure but when you have 8 and you’re trying to manipulate stats to show off something better (when there’s no need to) that’s somewhat different.

Just feels insecure!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not really. Just adding some grounding to the debate. As I say the player has done well enough without what I just talked about.

When you score 30 goals sure but when you have 8 and you’re trying to manipulate stats to show off something better (when there’s no need to) that’s somewhat different.

Just feels insecure!
Okay, sir. I’ll be sure to mention his penalties whenever Palmer is being discussed.

Not gonna lie, the only thing that feels insecure here is your insistence to have the caveat inserted into every discussion. It’s cool though, I recognise hater vibes when I see it :D

TheReligion

Abusive
Okay, sir. I’ll be sure to mention his penalties whenever Palmer is being discussed.

Not gonna lie, the only thing that feels insecure here is your insistence to have the caveat inserted into every discussion. It’s cool though, I recognise hater vibes when I see it :D
If I was a hater I wouldn’t be saying that he’s done well. Just seems insecure trying to make it better than it already is, or start throwing around Mount as some kind of yardstick.

As I say, no need to really. Enjoy!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If I was a hater I wouldn’t be saying that he’s done well. Just seems insecure trying to make it better than it already is, or start throwing around Mount as some kind of yardstick.

As I say, no need to really. Enjoy!
The fact that he’s scored penalties doesn’t detract from anything in any way, so yeah, by all means keep policing the discussion.

I can’t speak for the poster who mentioned Mount. You saw my response to him.

But yeah, no worries. Have a good day, sir.

TheReligion

Abusive
The fact that he’s scored penalties doesn’t detract from anything in any way, so yeah, by all means keep policing the discussion.

I can’t speak for the poster who mentioned Mount. You saw my response to him.

But yeah, no worries. Have a good day, sir.
Giving a take you don’t like isn’t policing the discussion. It’s a forum and all about different views and opinions. Not sure why you’re being so arsey over it tbh!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Giving a take you don’t like isn’t policing the discussion. It’s a forum and all about different views and opinions. Not sure why you’re being so arsey over it tbh!
Because you said it was insecure of me to put his stats in their proper context. You don’t seem to be understanding how you being arsey for no reason drags the conversation into the gutter.

But yeah fair enough, I was being a bit of a dickhead there, my bad.

TheReligion

Abusive
Because you said it was insecure of me to put his stats in their proper context. You don’t seem to be understanding how you being arsey for no reason drags the conversation into the gutter.

But yeah fair enough, I was being a bit of a dickhead there, my bad.
I simply said 4 of the 8 goals are from the penalty spot. Of the other 4, 2 were from yesterday against Luton. Simply adding context!

I think he’s been a good signing so far anyway. We can agree on that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You still need to score pens and it's not like they're all penalties either. One of the penalties he scored was also one of the most high pressure situations you'd be in to tie up the game at 4-4 against your boyhood club.

He's one of the few standouts in an average side this season.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Because he was good player for us and he’s a Cobham kid.
He also hasn't got a single goal contribution in the whole of 2023, we dont miss him.
What did he do that Palmer doesn't do?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I do miss Mount to be fair.
I liked Mase, but I don’t miss him, and the way his father conducted himself after he left really left a bad taste. It has been over a year since Mount scored a goal for anyone.