Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

OverratedOpinion

He should have let others take the pen if he's already got a hat trick and the game is wrapped up. Selfish from him.
He is their penalty taker, that is a job he has taken on and done admirably including under high pressure situations where no one else was begging to take the penalties.

Goals are not offered up as charity for other players ego.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
City are about to splash the money on Paqueta when this guys easily better. What sense does that make.
Palmer is better as the main man in an average team, but Paquetá is better suited to City.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
I think he's played well enough to warrant starting for England over Saka. Probably can link up better with Foden and Grealish. Plus to me he seems to have this almost sociopathic steeliness about him.

Put it this way - if they're taking a penalty to win the world cup, I reckon Palmer is unphased while Saka would be shitting himself.

Kwabs

Supports
Barcelona
He is their penalty taker, that is a job he has taken on and done admirably including under high pressure situations where no one else was begging to take the penalties.

Goals are not offered up as charity for other players ego.
I think you can give a penalty away for team harmony if you're leading by a large margin. Messi gave penalties away all the time and still scored over a hundred of them (and his teams did OK for the most part). Mind you, Palmer so far looks like a better penalty taker than Messi to be quite honest......

Maclooch

City sold David Silva 2.0 to Chelsea; they have to be kicking themselves.

croadyman

Says it all about the state of our academy that he chose City over the club he supported. I fully blame those yankee leeches for the state of things but hold no ill feelings towards him

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Palmer is better as the main man in an average team, but Paquetá is better suited to City.
Paqueta won't be a starting 11 player, Palmer wanted to be a starter. He's plenty good enough to be the main man in a top team too.

Lexicon Red Devil

£86 million for this! ….what the hell was Ten Hag thinking
We could have signed two Cole Palmers for that amount.

The worst thing about that transfer is that if we hadn't signed him, no other club would have even offered half that amount for him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He should have let others take the pen if he's already got a hat trick and the game is wrapped up. Selfish from him.
Doesn’t matter if it was 9-0 and he was 9 goals clear of the golden boot. He’s the designated penalty taker. If the other players have an issue with that, they take it up with the manager. Palmer’s done nothing wrong.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Paqueta won't be a starting 11 player, Palmer wanted to be a starter. He's plenty good enough to be the main man in a top team too.
Different players, really. Paqueta is more of a Gundogan style replacement — he’d be replacing Kovacic deeper.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some season from him especially given how difficult things have been at Chelsea. Any possibility they’re in desperate need to balance the books this Summer? If it’s true he’s a United fan then we should enquire, as there’s no other reason he’d join us and he’s really what we need.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Be interesting to see how he develops over the coming seasons. I think he's having one of those seasons where everything is falling for him.

troylocker

I wouldn't imagine he would be in the starting line up no.
You realize Pep's been starting Doku, Alvarez, Grealish, Nunes(!!), sometimes Silva and even Bobb in the attacking 3, right? He scored in the community shield and in the super cup final, I'm pretty sure he'd have fair chance of finding his way to the first 14-15 players who starts regularly for Pep this season.

I can't believe City actually spent 72M on Nunes and 60M on Doku and sold Palmer for 47M in the same window. :lol:
Doku and Nunes is just not good enough to ever be first choices there.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Some season from him especially given how difficult things have been at Chelsea. Any possibility they’re in desperate need to balance the books this Summer? If it’s true he’s a United fan then we should enquire, as there’s no other reason he’d join us and he’s really what we need.
Because of the stupid way the FFP rules work, it's much better for Chelsea to sell academy players rather than make a profit on players we bought.

It would take an absolutely ridiculous bid to buy Palmer.

Rojofiam

Really good player but as it always is the case, he's getting heavily overrated on the back of a great run of form.

He has 25 goals from 14.94 xG and 13 assists from 8.97 xA, so this is nothing but a purple patch from him. That 14.94 xG includes penalties as well so it's about 8 expected goals without them.

Like I said, though, he's a really good player but the discourse on social media is already how he should start for England at the Euros and how he's better than Saka. Neither of those things are true but football fans will always be fickle I guess. When Chelsea paid 47m for him everyone was laughing at them. :lol:

Just like how Hojlund was better than Haaland when he was scoring every game, and now he's back to being a championship level player because he's not scored in 4 games.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Really good player but as it always is the case, he's getting heavily overrated on the back of a great run of form.

He has 25 goals from 14.94 xG and 13 assists from 8.97 xA, so this is nothing but a purple patch from him. That 14.94 xG includes penalties as well so it's about 8 expected goals without pens.

Like I said, though, he's a really good player but the discourse on social media is already how he should start for England at the Euros and how he's better than Saka. Neither of those things are true but football fans will always be fickle I guess. When Chelsea paid 47m for him everyone was laughing at them. :lol:

Just like how Hojlund was better than Haaland when he was scoring every game, and now he's back to being a championship level player because he's not scored in 4 games.
The thing with downgrading his achievements because of xG seems to me that he’s punished for being great at finishing.
Imagine talking about Beckham’s free kick record and saying it’s less impressive (or a ‘purple patch’) because the xG of those free kicks would be lower than the reality.

Rojofiam

The thing with downgrading his achievements because of xG seems to me that he’s punished for being great at finishing.
Imagine talking about Beckham’s free kick record and saying it’s less impressive (or a ‘purple patch’) because the xG of those free kicks would be lower than the reality.
I didn't say it's not impressive. It's just not his real level and he will inevitably be called a flop or a one season wonder, etc. when he doesn't reach these numbers next season. He's still a great player, like I said, and I'd take him at United without hesitation, as both at RW and RCM he would be grand for us. But this current purple patch is going to create unrealistic expectations of him. Normally he wouldn't even reach 15 goals a season if he wasn't the penalty taker for his team, but this season he's probably going to get 30 goals.

There's also no place for him in the strongest England XI, but he should be the second or third option to come in and make an impact from the bench (the first being Foden)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

He has 25 goals from 14.94 xG and 13 assists from 8.97 xA, so this is nothing but a purple patch from him. That 14.94 xG includes penalties as well so it's about 8 expected goals without them.

Purple patches tend to last 10 or so games, not a full season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Purple patches tend to last 10 or so games, not a full season.
He has 11 non-penalty goals from 8 NPxG in thr league. Hardly something incredible

14 non penalty goals in all competitions

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He has 11 goals and 3 assists in his last 6 games.
He has 11 non-penalty goals from 8 NPxG in thr league. Hardly something incredible

14 non penalty goals in all competitions
He has 38 goal contributions all season and you still have to score penalties. Not only do you have to score them but he's scored quite a bunch in high pressure situations, which is a skill of its own.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
Never call players great on the back of one season. Never ever do that but fickle fans will never learn. Always looking for the next flavor of the season player to hype to the high heavens and can't wait to pile on the when they are rubbish the next season. That's why there are so many true talented players in the game today. He's an average player, that is what he is. I will call him a great player after 2 to 3 seasons playing exceptionally well, not now. City sold him for a reason.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Because the manager said we don't have a set taker and the player can sort it out themselves on the litch

Post match yesterday, Poch changed his mind and said Palmer is the taker.
Ahh, seems like a great strategy for a bunch of kids...

Hughes35

I think he's played well enough to warrant starting for England over Saka. Probably can link up better with Foden and Grealish. Plus to me he seems to have this almost sociopathic steeliness about him.

Put it this way - if they're taking a penalty to win the world cup, I reckon Palmer is unphased while Saka would be shitting himself.
You're kind of right, but you could easily argue that's why you have Palmer on the bench.

I can't think of two better players to bring on in the 100th minute of a world cup than Toney and Palmer in preparation for a shootout.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He has 38 goal contributions all season and you still have to score penalties.
Take out penalties and it's 29, with 13 assists, of which 9 off 8.2 xAG and 6.6 xA. Point is he's great, but his numbers are likely just a freak season, not something he's going to be putting up year after year. Though, even 29 goal contributions is a lot, mind, and probably something that can be expected going forward

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Take out penalties and it's 29, with 13 assists, of which 9 off 8.2 xAG and 6.6 xA. Point is he's great, but his numbers are likely just a freak season, not something he's going to be putting up year after year. Though, even 29 goal contributions is a lot, mind, and probably something that can be expected going forward
29 is more than the majority of professionals reach in their best ever seasons and he's doing it in his debut season for Chelsea at 21 and there are still 7 games for Chelsea to go.

I just don't think it's a purple patch, he's just a very good player who is at the right club to build around him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Salah 17 goals (5 penalties)

Saka 14 goals (5 penalties)

I don’t hear any discourse around their inflated numbers. I understand the urge to do it with Palmer as it’s his first real season as a starter and the other two are more seasoned pros in comparison but it seems unfair to keep harping on about ‘well if you take this away, it’s only this much’. The guy has been automatic from penalties this season. Sterling has only taken one and he missed it. Enzo has taken two and he missed one. Palmer scoring 9 from 9 is something to be praised, not used to diminish him.