Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This fight will never happen.

Conor is under UFC contract and they will never allow Mayweather to take the $100m he's asking for, which McGregor will also ask for. There's also no way this fight will be sanctioned with PBF having a 49-0 and McG having a 0-0 record.

Only way this happens is if it's for charity, with a 2 round fight (1 boxing and 1 mma).

Revan

Assumptionman
But isn't he retired? He obviously doesn't want to fight those people. I don't see it as "McGregor or Canelo" but as "McGregor or no one". One is more of an entertainment show, the other a proper boxing match, requiring heavy training, regime etc. There is a huge difference. This is what he retired from, maybe he just doesn't want to return to that.

I understand the McGregor criticism somewhat, but not for Mayweather.
Boxers being retired doesn't mean anything. They all retire and come back. Mayweather retired once before and came back. Sugar Rey Leonard retired 3 times, to only come back.

RedRover

This fight will never happen.

Conor is under UFC contract and they will never allow Mayweather to take the $100m he's asking for, which McGregor will also ask for. There's also no way this fight will be sanctioned with PBF having a 49-0 and McG having a 0-0 record.

Only way this happens is if it's for charity, with a 2 round fight (1 boxing and 1 mma).
This. It's nothing but mutual promotion.

I'm not sure how it would even work. Mayweather would knock McGregor out in 30 seconds if they were boxing and McGregor would choke Mayweather out probably even quicker than that if it were MMA.

It won't happen and frankly, nor should it. It'd be nothing but a freak show.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Am I right saying that the only reason this fight is even considered is that both are famous and both are fighters?

Revan

Assumptionman
This. It's nothing but mutual promotion.

I'm not sure how it would even work. Mayweather would knock McGregor out in 30 seconds if they were boxing and McGregor would choke Mayweather out probably even quicker than that if it were MMA.

It won't happen and frankly, nor should it. It'd be nothing but a freak show.
Mayweather knocking out someone? :eek:

It would be a 12 round match, with Mayweather winning all the rounds but never knocking down McGregor.

RedRover

It would be a 12 round match, with Mayweather winning all the rounds but never knocking down McGregor.
I'm not sure whether you're being serious here but I'm going to take a punt and say you are.

In my opinion, Mayweather, would (as he should as one of the greatest boxers of all time) land so many shots, and with such comparative ferocity to an MMA fighter that he'd stop McGregor quickly.

Two different sports, two different types of conditioning. MMA fighters get hit once hard on the chin and that's it so they train to stay at arms length and avoid them.. They get punched less than boxers for obvious reasons - not least that you can't throw as many punches without getting kicked or taken down.

You can hit harder and more often with gloves on - not to mention the differing effects "gloved" shots have in terms of jarring the brain. Would someone not trained in taking those types of shots last? I personally think not. That's not to mention the affect of body shots.

Likewise, if it were MMA rules Mayweather may not be able to take a direct shot to his chin, or more likely would be taken to the floor and submitted before he knew what was happening.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff

Not sure how you can say Mayweather would be unable to KO an amateur boxer, all things being equal. His lack of knock outs in his last fights is an observable fact, that he was fighting high level boxers is also an observable fact. I agree with Ogg, this would be very similar to those "fights" Haye has been putting on recently. McGregor to not land a punch, Floyd to win within four rounds.

Revan

Assumptionman
Guys, I was only half-serious there, as it 'Mayweather doesn't KO other boxers and wins with unanimous decision'. Obviously, I think that he would KO McGregor.

However, I don't agree that McGregor is comparable with a amateur boxer (unless you're talking about the best amateur boxers, those who win golds or silver in Olympics). He is much better than that, but he's not comparable with the top boxers.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Mayweather beats McGregor more convincingly in a boxing match than McGregor beats Floyd in an MMA match (and Floyd gets slaughtered).

Dominos

Mayweather beats McGregor more convincingly in a boxing match than McGregor beats Floyd in an MMA match (and Floyd gets slaughtered).
Nah. It depends how Mcgregor decides he wants to fight, he could just kick the shit out Mayweather and not even let him in range to throw a punch, or he could take him down with ease giving Mayweather 0% chance of winning.

At least Mcgregor would have a puncher's chance since he's a big hitter.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
At least Mcgregor would have a puncher's chance since he's a big hitter.
I don't think he would, though. Plenty of big hitters had more than a punchers chance against Mayweather, and all came up short. Not exaggerating for effect when I say that McGregor would not land a clean punch on Mayweather. Similarly, Mayweather would be destroyed in an MMA fight,

Classical Mechanic

Guys, I was only half-serious there, as it 'Mayweather doesn't KO other boxers and wins with unanimous decision'. Obviously, I think that he would KO McGregor.

However, I don't agree that McGregor is comparable with a amateur boxer (unless you're talking about the best amateur boxers, those who win golds or silver in Olympics). He is much better than that, but he's not comparable with the top boxers.
McGregor trained in one of Roach's gyms and Freddie said his level is of a 'young amateur' and that he got 'beat up' in sparring by a couple of Freddie's journey men kind of guys.

If they did fight it would be a con, Mayweather would carry him for 7 or 8 rounds, let him back him on to the ropes at times and slip his shots as McGregor's fans go wild thinking he might win. I would then expect Floyd to take him apart.

After the fight Floyd will say

'He is one hell of a fighter, a great champion but I am the best'.

They both laugh all the way to the bank.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
McGregor trained in one of Roach's gyms and Freddie said his level is of a 'young amateur' and that he got 'beat up' in sparring by a couple of Freddie's journey men kind of guys.

If they did fight it would be a con, Mayweather would carry him for 7 or 8 rounds, let him back him on to the ropes at times and slip his shots as McGregor's fans go wild thinking he might win. I would then expect Floyd to take him apart.

After the fight Floyd will say

'He is one hell of a fighter, a great champion but I am the best'.

They both laugh all the way to the bank.
Chris Van Heerden suggested differently.

Oggmonster

Chris Van Heerden suggested differently.
He's probably one of the most reasonable people to discuss it with as well considering he sparred with McGregor and basically he said Mayweather finishes it whenever he wants.

Oggmonster

About 6mins 20 seconds into this by the way for probably the most reliable person on the matter....fight won't be happening.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
He's probably one of the most reasonable people to discuss it with as well considering he sparred with McGregor and basically he said Mayweather finishes it whenever he wants.
No doubt there really. Just said he was as good as a professional.

Oggmonster

No doubt there really. Just said he was as good as a professional.
It's a weird one really. Some "amateur" boxers are brilliant fighters so its no shame to be compared to an amateur. I don't think it was a way of Roach (I think it was him who said it?) to insult him but more his technique needs work, hence why he said "young" amateurs, people with a lot to learn basically. McGregor probsbly could knock out 1 or 2 pro fighters but once you're at a level of Mayweather....or even a level of people like a journeyman fighter the likes of what Kell Brook has recently fought in Frankie Gavin etc he probably wouldn't stand a chance really.

If I had to guess and I thin kit's been said previously in this thread, Roach probably wants to train McGregor in parts of his boxing for a rematch in UFC against Diaz as it's a good opportunity for Roach to make some money and get some exposure as well. It's all business at the end of the day.

Classical Mechanic

It's a weird one really. Some "amateur" boxers are brilliant fighters so its no shame to be compared to an amateur. I don't think it was a way of Roach (I think it was him who said it?) to insult him but more his technique needs work, hence why he said "young" amateurs, people with a lot to learn basically. McGregor probsbly could knock out 1 or 2 pro fighters but once you're at a level of Mayweather....or even a level of people like a journeyman fighter the likes of what Kell Brook has recently fought in Frankie Gavin etc he probably wouldn't stand a chance really.

If I had to guess and I thin kit's been said previously in this thread, Roach probably wants to train McGregor in parts of his boxing for a rematch in UFC against Diaz as it's a good opportunity for Roach to make some money and get some exposure as well. It's all business at the end of the day.
If Roach wanted exposure and money he would talk up this fight and train McGregor. He would make 10% on McGregor! I don't think Freddie wants the fight to go ahead because it is a total mismatch. He doesn't even like his top level pros sparring too far out of their weight classes. By 'young amateur' I think he means a talented but very inexperienced boxer.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
If Roach wanted exposure and money he would talk up this fight and train McGregor. He would make 10% on McGregor! I don't think Freddie wants the fight to go ahead because it is a total mismatch. He doesn't even like his top level pros sparring too far out of their weight classes. By 'young amateur' I think he means a talented but very inexperienced boxer.
Not train him for this fight. Just train him for MMA fights. That's what Oggmonster meant.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Someones response :lol:

justboy68

Khan has actually talked a fair bit recently about having an mma fight. He also trained a bit and took some photos at the UFC gym in Vegas. If there was some kind of weird crossover fight it could be the Khan freakshow in the octagon rather than the Mayweather freakshow in the ring.

Nikhil

A quick question. In boxing, can a professional boxer compete at the Olympics? Or is it just amateurs at the Olympics? And are MMA fighters professionals? Can an MMA boxer fight non MMA boxers like Mayweather etc? I was expecting McGregor at the Olympics. Sorry if these questions seem strange. I don't follow boxing at all.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
A quick question. In boxing, can a professional boxer compete at the Olympics?
Rules changed recently so that professionals can compete at the Olympics. Used to be just amateurs.

Deleted member 101472

A quick question. In boxing, can a professional boxer compete at the Olympics? Or is it just amateurs at the Olympics? And are MMA fighters professionals? Can an MMA boxer fight non MMA boxers like Mayweather etc? I was expecting McGregor at the Olympics. Sorry if these questions seem strange. I don't follow boxing at all.
Any pro boxer wanting to compete at the Olympics basically has to sell there soul to the very corrupt AIBA

paulscholes18

Changed the rules, Eubank Jr wanted to go to Rio.
Dana White said if Floyd Mayweather wants to fight Conor, Floyd needs to get in touch with him 1st

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Bumping this as per @Randall Flagg's comment so MMA and boxing threads aren't both derailed with same chat.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This will happen eventually, there's too much money in it for the fight to not happen.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Will probably buy it just to see the carnage :lol: Is there any chance less than 0%?

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Who would win?
Floyd has as much chance in an MMA fight against Conor as Conor does in a boxing match vs Floyd. There's amateurs out there that would make CM look foolish in a boxing ring.

Runner

Floyd has as much chance in an MMA fight against Conor as Conor does in a boxing match vs Floyd. There's amateurs out there that would make CM look foolish in a boxing ring.
Thanks, I don't watch much fighting sports so I wasn't sure if CM was considering a great boxer/striker.