Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Ricky Hatton in his current state would wreck McGregor in a boxing match. This would be an absolute joke for everyone involved. UFC's obsession with Mayweather is just strange.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Ricky Hatton in his current state would wreck McGregor in a boxing match. This would be an absolute joke for everyone involved. UFC's obsession with Mayweather is just strange.
Thats beyond an exaggeration though isnt it?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Maybe. But, I do think some vastly underestimate the skill level of top level boxers. Being a good striker in MMA is completely different than being able to actually box.
Ricky Hatton is literally a parody of himself. I wouldnt back him in a poxy bar fight let alone a boxing match

Dont think anyone in this thread has said Mcgreggor would have a chance in a straight boxing match. Just like Mayweather wouldnt have a chance in a genuine MMA fight.

I'd say you'd need two parts to this fight; a boxing match, then an MMA fight. Regardless of knockouts, have a scoring system, the winner is whomever has the highest points by the end of the 2nd fight. It be close, but it would come down to who was less shit in the others discipline which would be fair.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
UFC's obsession with Mayweather is just strange.
UFC doesn't really have an obsession with Mayweather. Conor is using the artificial leverage of a fight with him to get more money from his future UFC fights.

All that's really needed is for Dana to come out and say "I can categorically say that any top level boxer would beat any UFC fighter of the same weight, in a boxing match".

There seems to be this weird thing where UFC fans are delusional about it all. Almost as if they think admitting this kind of thing diminishes the sport of UFC. It doesn't. they are entirely different sports.

Can you imagine how insane it would be for a Decathlete to hold the opinion "If decathletes focused on any one of the 10 events they'd be a gold medallist in that event"

The UFC is currently a bigger draw than most boxing cards as Boxing is in a sorry state. But the UFC is, to my mind, just about to start going through some major growing pains. Fighters are going to want higher purse splits. Personalities are going to start outgrowing the sport. All that has to be managed. Dana's a savvy guy. I think he cashed out at the right time.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
UFC doesn't really have an obsession with Mayweather. Conor is using the artificial leverage of a fight with him to get more money from his future UFC fights.

All that's really needed is for Dana to come out and say "I can categorically say that any top level boxer would beat any UFC fighter of the same weight, in a boxing match".

There seems to be this weird thing where UFC fans are delusional about it all. Almost as if they think admitting this kind of thing diminishes the sport of UFC. It doesn't. they are entirely different sports.

Can you imagine how insane it would be for a Decathlete to hold the opinion "If decathletes focused on any one of the 10 events they'd be a gold medallist in that event"

The UFC is currently a bigger draw than most boxing cards as Boxing is in a sorry state. But the UFC is, to my mind, just about to start going through some major growing pains. Fighters are going to want higher purse splits. Personalities are going to start outgrowing the sport. All that has to be managed. Dana's a savvy guy. I think he cashed out at the right time.
Great post, especially the bolded.

Classical Mechanic

Thats beyond an exaggeration though isnt it?
With a bit of cardio training the Hatton of today would school McGregor in a boxing bout. McGregor is an amateur level boxer and Hatton competed among all time great fighters. He would be hitting McGregor with shots and combinations that he wouldn't even see coming. McGregor's only chance would be a punchers one or that Hatton would have a heart attack or something.

Oggmonster

#

Good post but not sure about the bolded point.

Look at UFC events since 200:

200: 1million buys
201: 240,000 buys
202: 1.6million buys
203: 450,000 buys
204: Unknown (less than 300k according to Meltzer)
205 1.3million buys
206: 150k buys
207: 1.1mil buys

I'd say UFC has the current mega star(s) in both sports with Rousey and McGregor. But given Rousey won't fight again I'd guess and that she probably factors for more than 50% of the 207 card. 202 and 205 were McGregor cards and he brought in most the numbers on that you'd think.

The numbers for the large part aren't overly better than most boxing cards really. I've said in both the boxing and UFC threads both are desperate to create interest in their sport outside of McGregor/Rousey/Mayweather. There's potential stars to do it in boxing and UFC but they don't seem to be pushing most of them.

Someone like Anthony Joshua will be huge if he beats Wladimir Klitschko and would have the potential to do more numbers than all them UFC cards. Boxing will still attract "traditionalists" as it is the older sport. I agree with your sentiment but I don't think UFC outdraws it massively if you discount a few McGregor cards a year.

As for the fight if it's boxing Mayweather schools him. It's obvious Dana White doesn't want the fight to happen hence the stupid 25mil 25mil split offer. Everyone knows Floyd doesn't fight for that little anymore. Whether they like it or not he has much bigger purses in his fights than anyone in the UFC. Floy'ds jab at Dana underpaying fighters will probably piss him off a bit as well.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Even if it's $100m for Floyd and $25m for McGregor, he should want it to happen because (I think) that's about tenfold of what he makes in a UFC fight? Don't know if Conor's ego would allow it to happen though.

SteveTheRed

I honestly don't think McGregor would give a shit if he lost the fight against Mayweather. He is not a boxer, but he has a punchers chance. They guy has said time and time again he wants to get in and out of the fight game. No brainer for him to be pushing for a fight with Mayweather to basically triple his career money and ride off into the sunset.

I only see McGregors career going one way.
Fights Mayweather and loses - takes $30m (3x more than his career earnings so far in UFC.)
Joins WWE/Becomes an actor

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I only see McGregors career going one way.
Fights Mayweather and loses - takes $30m (3x more than his career earnings so far in UFC.)
Joins WWE/Becomes an actor
Let me add to that:

Makes appearance on Raw, gets interrupted by local brute Rusev, who McGregor left hooks into oblivion then begins a feud with Roman Reigns to help get Roman over.

Green_Red

Is there any proof anywhere to McGregors fathers claims that he was an underage all Ireland champion in amatuer boxing?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Is there any proof anywhere to McGregors fathers claims that he was an underage all Ireland champion in amatuer boxing?
He was all Ireland potato punching champion apparently

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'd love too see McGregor batter Mayweather but I can't believe he'd even consider taking on the fight

Oggmonster

I'd love too see McGregor batter Mayweather but I can't believe he'd even consider taking on the fight
If it happened (I still don't think it will) I'd imagine McGregor's thinking is Mayweather hasn't knocked a fighter out in the ring in 6 years and you could argue he hasn't legitimately knocked one out in 9 years considering the Ortiz one wasn't exactly a "proper" knockout.

Realistically McGregor knows he would lose but it would be an exhibition fight, he wouldn't take any damage that he wouldn't expect to get in an MMA fight. Even if he got knocked out I'd be surprised if it was a brutal knock out. It's more money than he'd ever make in an MMA fight. a 25million purse is what Mayweather offered and then anything else on top of it such as sponsorship deals he could make a lot more in 1 fight than he would in the UFC.

I think they're both just using it to their advantage. Mayweather will probably come back against someone else and get 50-0 so is remaining relevant and is still the biggest name in boxing even though he's retired, Conor is using it as leverage for more money and to show the UFC he doesn't need them probably. It suits them both to be talking about each other. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they had spoke about it with each other or through a mutual person they both know!

Revan

Assumptionman
I actually think that May has a chance to win under MMA rules. He would dance and hit, probably KO McGregor within a minute or so. A bit similar to how Nunes KO Rousey, with Rousey trying to get near her, but getting punched repeatedly in the process.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think I've watched about 2 MMA fights my life so I can't comment with any authority here, but wouldn't Floyd be a sitting duck in the same way McGregor would in a boxing fight? Wouldn't the MMA fighter be able to grapple his way to glory? Or smash a couple kicks at Floyd?

Oggmonster

I think I've watched about 2 MMA fights my life so I can't comment with any authority here, but wouldn't Floyd be a sitting duck in the same way McGregor would in a boxing fight? Wouldn't the MMA fighter be able to grapple his way to glory? Or smash a couple kicks at Floyd?
Yeah. James Toney vs. Randy Coutoure was a fight that happened in the UFC and it'd go the same way I'd guess. Just get them to the ground straight away and win that way.

I don't think either stand a chance in the other persons discipline

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I actually think that May has a chance to win under MMA rules. He would dance and hit, probably KO McGregor within a minute or so. A bit similar to how Nunes KO Rousey, with Rousey trying to get near her, but getting punched repeatedly in the process.
That's assuming McGregor doesn't kick lumps out of him or go for the takedown.

SteveTheRed

He would have no chance. All McGregor has to do is hug him and he would fall to the floor and it's game over.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I realise McGregor can be annoying for some. But you would really be up for this cnut?

http://heavy.com/sports/2015/05/floyd-mayweathers-domestic-violence-arrests-criminal-prison/

By the way I also dont think McGregor would have a hope
I accept his criminal history but I don't think it defines him, plus he's served his sentence and moved on in life I'd like to think he should be afforded this, that's the point of a criminal justice system.

Certain celebrities who have domestic violence charges aren't reminded of their history any time their name is mentioned (Sean Penn, Sean Connery, John Lennon, Michael Fassbender - just to name a few) therefore their reputation doesn't continue to get tarnished.

Other celebrities (Chris Brown, Mel Gibson off the top of my head) don't get that luxury and Mayweather is the same.

Plus I think McGregor has adopted Mayweather's persona, gravitas, extravagance or whatever you want to call it and flaunts his wealth in very much the same way, but doesn't get the same negative press for it.

It's a shame but it appears as though Mayweather is known for his wealth and criminal history more than his boxing achievements which is sad because at his peak he really was an amazing boxer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
McGregor wouldn't necessarily have to do that though. If Mayweather can't deal with leg kicks (as you'd assume he can't) then McGregor can hack away at him from a safe distance, I'd have thought.

Dominos

No chance. For a start Mcgregor is one of the best strikers in MMA with Rousey being one of the worst.

I don't know how he's going to be throwing knockout punches when he's getting kicked in the gut, if Mcgregor wanted to he could teep for 5 minutes and Mayweather wouldn't get close enough to even throw a punch. And that's before we consider he could get taken to the ground very easily.

Also we've not considered Mcgregor is bigger than Floyd with a decent chin and Floyd hasn't knocked anyone out in 9 years. He'd literally have to one punch KO him you'd think because if Mcgregor got hurt at any point he'd take him down.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is the great thing about this fight, so many opinions and beliefs that it'll be easy for either of them.

I truly believe Conor could give Mayweather a few decent rounds while fresh but keeping up the speed and pace through a 12 round fight won't be possible. I would love to see if Mcgregor could catch him square on the jaw and if Mayweather could brush it off.

I don't see how this fight will happen as there's just too much to lose for Mayweather and not enough money to get him excited unless he's promoting it. Mcgregor will want a very near figure and no doubt the UFC will want in on it.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
With a bit of cardio training the Hatton of today would school McGregor in a boxing bout. McGregor is an amateur level boxer and Hatton competed among all time great fighters. He would be hitting McGregor with shots and combinations that he wouldn't even see coming. McGregor's only chance would be a punchers one or that Hatton would have a heart attack or something.
When was the last time you saw Ricky Hatton? Cardio training or not, not a chance hes beating mcgreggor in any sort of match.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, McGregor would get schooled by any elite boxer in a boxing fight and vice versa in an MMA fight. MMA fighters hardly spend any time in the pocket because they have to stay far enough away to avoid kicks or takedowns. They wouldn't have a clue what to do in a fight fought almost entirely at a range in which they've never exchanged before. Like you say, there would be punches coming from angles they didn't know existed.

cyberman

When was the last time you saw Ricky Hatton? Cardio training or not, not a chance hes beating mcgreggor in any sort of match.
McGregor isn't a boxer, an unfit over the hill boxer destroys an amateur with technique alone

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
It doesn't matter, a good boxer can completely nullify a novice like McGregor with ease and McGregor wouldn't know where Hatton's shots were coming from.
Hatton wouldnt know where Hattons shots are coming from.

McGregor isn't a boxer, an unfit over the hill boxer destroys an amateur with technique alone
Any normal unfit over the hill boxer and I'd agree completely. Ricky Hatton isnt a normal unfit over the hill boxer though, he hasnt got a clue whats up from down right about now. I've seen him in his current state in person, and mcgreggor would most definitely get the better of him in any sort of match.

JP77

I like McGregor and all but he'd get embarrassed in a boxing match with Mayweather. It wouldn't even be remotely competitive.

The level of striking in MMA is amateur level compared to boxing.
Not really. The two shouldn't even be compared actually because they're two completely different sports.

An Irish Red

Not really. The two shouldn't even be compared actually because they're two completely different sports.
The level of boxing in MMA is noticably poor though. The amount of decent MMA fighters who can't box beyond a bar room brawl standard is unreal.

I get that the threat of takedowns changes things considerably and all but there's plenty of fighters who can't even do the basics. Just look at Ronda Rousey..

JP77

The level of boxing in MMA is noticably poor though. The amount of decent MMA fighters who can't box beyond a bar room brawl standard is unreal.

I get that the threat of takedowns changes things considerably and all but there's plenty of fighters who can't even do the basics. Just look at Ronda Rousey..
You said striking, which is completely different to a stand alone skill such as boxing. Again, the two (striking in boxing and MMA) are very different, shouldn't really be compared because there's much more to striking in MMA than just boxing.

Classical Mechanic

Hatton wouldnt know where Hattons shots are coming from.

Any normal unfit over the hill boxer and I'd agree completely. Ricky Hatton isnt a normal unfit over the hill boxer though, he hasnt got a clue whats up from down right about now. I've seen him in his current state in person, and mcgreggor would most definitely get the better of him in any sort of match.
Well yeah if Ricky turns up coked up and drunk he would lose.