Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

Drainy

They're really not. Technique wise it's in the dark ages while the distances etc are different in each sport. Fighters with no boxing background would be lost in the ring.
Even then with the earning potential of both sports, a skllled boxer wouldn't touch mma so its the worst of the worst that makes the jump.
You're probably right, the level of footwork and guard training to be a professional boxer is pretty high. Although I would guess most MMA fighters from Europe will have had boxing training in their youth.

True, there is a very low 'punchers chance' of winning an MMA fight for a boxer. They don't have the sprawl with resist a takedown and then limited BJJ training so they would get destroyed

justboy68

A proper fight is boxing, not rolling around on the floor hugging each other. ;)
Good luck with that if you ever get into a proper fight.

Shame they couldnt make some kind of compromise between the two, I.e make it a kickboxing or muay thai fight. Or my favourite suggestion was to have it a boxing match but with the lighter mma gloves. In just a straight boxing match then the chance of it being in anyway a competitive affair are slim to say the least.

cyberman

Real men stand up. Or you talking about a drunken brawl outside a pub?
Stand up and Conor just leg kicks him to death. Even in mma Conor doesn't go to the ground.
Mayweather can only beat Conor under a strict set of rules.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Good luck with that if you ever get into a proper fight.

Shame they couldnt make some kind of compromise between the two, I.e make it a kickboxing or muay thai fight. Or my favourite suggestion was to have it a boxing match but with the lighter mma gloves. In just a straight boxing match then the chance of it being in anyway a competitive affair are slim to say the least.
Wouldn't Conor just kick the shit out of Mayweather from a safe distance?

justboy68

Wouldn't Conor just kick the shit out of Mayweather from a safe distance?
He could do whatever he wants. Literally the only strategy which could fail would be to only box and utilise no other aspects of mixed martial arts. Outside of that Mayweather would have one or two chances to get a hail Mary knockout.

Not a knock on boxing, as a single martial art it is obviously one of the most important and definitely the most well loved there is. By design though it's an incomplete combat system.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
It's only one disclipline. If he loses he can claim he bravely walked into Floyd's ring now he has to man up and walk into his octagon.
Conor would kill him in a proper fight, that can't be ignored so his reputation wouldn't be damaged that much.
Nope it wont happen. Floyd isnt stupid. He will never step foot inside an octagon. Also the Conor killing him in a proper fight could be true but is still hypothetical and we will never know. So why even worry about that?

cyberman

Nope it wont happen. Floyd isnt stupid. He will never step foot inside an octagon. Also the Conor killing him in a proper fight could be true but is still hypothetical and we will never know. So why even worry about that?
I was responding to the point of it hurting Conor's reputation though.
It shouldn't. The entire sport of mma has evolved to the point that a fighter with one disclipline gets doninated and picked apart by well rounded fighters.
Floyd's boxing stance would get exposed by a modest mma fighter, never mind Conor. A fight pointer like floyd would get eaten alive but that's a different conversation.
Conor losing to Floyd doesn't weaken Conor's image, he's the one limiting his skill range to make this competitive or even possible.
I honestly think this whole thing is setting up a mma promotion between Conor and Floyd. A more of a boxing setup than everything under one roof, WWE style that the UFC are.
Tv companies and venues will bid for fights rather than everybody being treated like slaves and employess as they are now.

Deleted member 101472

I will absolutely watch that fight despite knowing how big of a farce it is. The trash talking in the build up will be legendary

AXVnee7

Even if Floyd is the major favourite, would still like to see this happen. The build up itself would be worth it. It'll be interesting to see how Floyd responds to Conor's antics.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
He's gonna lose, pick up millions and ride off into the sunset in his sports car laughing with his stacks of cash isn't he. Well in Conor :lol:

Deleted member 101472

I think they'd generate a lot more money if they agreed to 11 rounds of boxing and 12th round MMA

" Can Conor survive long enough to bring Floyd into his house " - Joe Rogan

Seriously though, it's gonna be the two of them and a referee in a ring. Say Floyd, as expected, dominates him... how tempting will it be for Conor just to through in a leg kick or a takedown?

Kazi

Should just do it in a boxing ring with MMA gloves on, so that Floyd can actually add another one punch KO to his record.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Just wish they would get it over with

Anyway, it's still far away from being made. Dana has only just about gotten McGregors side to sign up

Negotiations with Mayweather haven't even started yet.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
:lol:

I think Mayweather will play around with him and win easily. Won't take it seriously.

What a farce.

It's Rocky vs Thunderlips all over again.
its simply the reverse of james tony vs randy cotuture

put simply world class boxers are better at boxing than mma fighters and conversely world class mma fighters are better at mma than boxers... cant blame connor though... shocking amount of money to get outboxed for a few rounds

cyberman

Mma undercards shit all over boxing undercards.
They need to find a way to have UFC undercard fights on this

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Meh. Will watch but it's a joke contest.

Deleted member 101472

If Conor does land a left hand, he'll get a shock when mayweather doesn't flinch.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Most of McGregor pre fight trash talk is about his numbers and how the opponent's are bums... Wonder which direction he'll go this time around considering mayweather is bigger than him in every way.

RedRevongge

If Conor does land a left hand, he'll get a shock when mayweather doesn't flinch.
If Conor lands a left hand then Mayweather will do more than flinch...it's more the case that Mayweather is so good defensively it will be so hard for Conor to catch him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Most of McGregor pre fight trash talk is about his numbers and how the opponent's are bums... Wonder which direction he'll go this time around considering mayweather is bigger than him in every way.
I'd imagine he'll just talk about how he's limiting himself for this fight, how he'd beat Floyd in a "real" fight, etc. I guess he'll also pick out some of Floyd's worst PPV numbers and say they're the best he can do these days.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I hope Mcgregor get's a proper good hiding, however, I won't be throwing my money at this shite.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I'd imagine he'll just talk about how he's limiting himself for this fight, how he'd beat Floyd in a "real" fight
Probably because ultimately his future probably lies in MMA so yeah start trash talking the next MMA fight up sayin he is the only MMA fighter with the balls to step into the boxing arena (I mean FFS pretty much any MMA fighter would let mayweather school them in boxing for the money on offer)
But yeah talk up his mma credentials pretty much throughout and try (and fail) to get mayweather to agree to an mma rematch before sliding into a UFC title defence as a headliner

VP

I really hope no one pays for this shite.

These two pricks are an embarrassment to sport.