Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

buckooo1978

Quote......New estimates show Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s payoff for fighting Manny Pacquiao could easily be $180 million, up substantially from earlier predictions of $120 million. Pacquiao gets the short end of the purse, but even that is expected to be well over $100 million by the time everything is tallied up.......

Does McGregor give a shit about whether he wins? This could be his retirement fight and the biggest purse in history if the fight comes together given the McGregor hype machine

Tom Van Persie

No relation

This is going to happen imo. There's too much money involved for all parties for it to not materialise. I'm sure they'll work out a cut for Dana and the UFC brand will be all over the promotion. The split will probably be similar to the Pacquiao one.

Zen

It's gonna flop and break the sport for years since they'll both have insane guaranteed payouts.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm too lazy to research... is this an MMA fight? I find it hard to believe Mayweather would agree to that?

Traub

Oh boring what's the point in that? Complete mismatch.
The only way they can make it 'fair' is to have a shortened match e.g. 3 rounds only. Mayweather would never agree but it's the only hope for some competitiveness.

cyberman

My rabid mma supporting friend believes this is definitely on, he thinks they should use 4oz gloves though.
It'll never happen due to Floyds brittle hands.
Conor will get outboxed but Floyd being the businessman wont flat out ridicule him.

G-manc

The size of the gloves won't make a difference, he's simply not good enough which is evident from the sparring videos that have been knocking about. Doesn't punch in combinations, can't press a fight and couldn't slip a punch to save his life. Mayweather will murder him should it happen.

I can actually envisage McGregor doing something stupid to get DQ'd when he realises he's in too deep to save face.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
This isn't even going to be a real fight. I'm pretty sure it's nothing more than a glorified exhibition match and a marketing spectacle.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We're all going to watch it though, yeah?

Revan

Assumptionman
Doubt this will happen because of the cut Dana White will want to allow CM to fight.
Can Connor decide to retire from MMA and do this as a boxing match? I mean, he has won all in MMA and this fight will likely give him more money than all the MMA fights he did in his career, so what is there to lose.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Can Connor decide to retire from MMA and do this as a boxing match? I mean, he has won all in MMA and this fight will likely give him more money than all the MMA fights he did in his career, so what is there to lose.
Conor has four fights left on his current contract apparently.

Castia

If it ends up a boxing match McGregor will be KO'd within the first round, it's a complete miss-match. Conor is a world class fighter but he's nowhere near the boxing level to take on someone like Mayweather, hell he'd probably get beat by anybody in the top 20 boxing ranking.

cyberman

Apparently his UFC contract becomes void if he wants to box since his UFC contract violates boxing rules about promoters etc.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If it ends up a boxing match McGregor will be KO'd within the first round, it's a complete miss-match. Conor is a world class fighter but he's nowhere near the boxing level to take on someone like Mayweather, hell he'd probably get beat by anybody in the top 20 boxing ranking.
Agree with this, top pro boxers couldn't break down Mayweather, CM has no chance. But it's nothing to do with that, this whole stunt is for the money.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Problem there is the ridiculous UFC contracts which (I think) would still prohibit him from fighting in that scenario. Of course that contract might not hold up in court if it was challenged. McGregor specifically mentioned the Ali Act in a recent interview when the question of doing it against the UFC's wishes came up....

Robertd0803

Is anyone else fed up of this nonsense yet? Its on/its off/its on ad nauseam.............

Saying this as a fan of both, I really don't want to see this.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Is anyone else fed up of this nonsense yet? Its on/its off/its on ad nauseam.............

Paq v Mayweather was on/off for years

Get used to it

I was shocked earlier in the week when reports were suggesting it was a done deal. I would expect it to take way longer to sort out somethign like this

VP

In an ideal world, no one watches this and these two greedy pricks end up with nothing.

Robertd0803

Paq v Mayweather was on/off for years

Get used to it

I was shocked earlier in the week when reports were suggesting it was a done deal. I would expect it to take way longer to sort out somethign like this
At least they were the same sport and that was a dream match for most boxing fans. This has all the signs of a publicity stunt and a fiasco. I cant imagine UFC allowing their biggest draw to put himself at risk in something like this. However money talks I guess.

If Conor was to retire from MMA while under contract with UFC Id imagine UFC would enforce the length of the contract as part of the deal. As in if Conor has 4 fights in 3 years left, he retires and UFC say you can ''retire'' but still hold him under contract for the 3 years. They don't get the 4 fights but Conor cant do anything until the contract is up.

Kazi

It's just a way for them two to stay relevant while they're not fighting.

Robertd0803

It's just a way for them two to stay relevant while they're not fighting.
The annoying thing is they don't need to. Conor McGregor could go into social media silence for 3 months and then post a picture of his breakfast on Instagram and everyone will still go wild over it.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
In an ideal world McGregor will lose his rag in the ring and start kicking feck out of Mayweathers legs and literally commits assault.

cyberman

At least they were the same sport and that was a dream match for most boxing fans. This has all the signs of a publicity stunt and a fiasco. I cant imagine UFC allowing their biggest draw to put himself at risk in something like this. However money talks I guess.

If Conor was to retire from MMA while under contract with UFC Id imagine UFC would enforce the length of the contract as part of the deal. As in if Conor has 4 fights in 3 years left, he retires and UFC say you can ''retire'' but still hold him under contract for the 3 years. They don't get the 4 fights but Conor cant do anything until the contract is up.
When a UFC fighter retires the contract is more or less paused so if a fighter comes out of retirement in 1 month or 10 years the contract just picks back up from when he retired.
A fighter can't retire and wait it out.

Robertd0803

When a UFC fighter retires the contract is more or less paused so if a fighter comes out of retirement in 1 month or 10 years the contract just picks back up from when he retired.
A fighter can't retire and wait it out.
Ah cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
FloCombat reporting that the date and venue has been set.

FrontRowBrian seems confident that this is happening.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Apparently Conor uploaded a picture on his Facebook profile a couple of minutes ago, a poster confirming it'll be June 10th at the T-Mobile Arena. The picture has already been deleted though.