Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

Enigma_87

You know who
Is anyone else fed up of this nonsense yet? Its on/its off/its on ad nauseam.............

Saying this as a fan of both, I really don't want to see this.
Yeah it's a bit stupid money stint. Could be mildly interesting if CM was 10 kg above Mayweather to close the gap, but it's absolutely unnecessary fight. Probably won't watch it as well.

Pscholes18

I'd be fecking livid if I were in line to fight Conor for his belt...They have to wait even longer now and Dana gives feck all.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It'd be funny if Floyd knocked him down. No doubt Conner's natural instinct will be to cover up ready for ground and pound, only to realise he's actually fighting queensbury rules. :lol:

SteveTheRed

Apparently Conor uploaded a picture on his Facebook profile a couple of minutes ago, a poster confirming it'll be June 10th at the T-Mobile Arena. The picture has already been deleted though.
Not seen anything on twitter?

UFC President is now saying it will happen so I'm sure he'll have some cut of the money.

Skizzo

Not seen anything on twitter?

UFC President is now saying it will happen so I'm sure he'll have some cut of the money.
The most improbable, and arguably biggest fight in the history of combat sports, looks to have taken one step closer to becoming a reality. Floyd Mayweather versus Conor McGregor may actually happen ladies and gentlemen, and if it does the fight has a home.

Sources close to FloCombat have confirmed T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas has put the June 10 date on hold for the mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor.

This news of course does not mean the fight is official or is guaranteed to happen, but the largest arena in the fight capital of the world reserving a date certainly means the fantasy bout is moving closer to reality.

Last week the pound-for-pound boxing great announced he's officially out of retirement and the sole intention of that move is to fight the UFC superstar. Mayweather went on to call out McGregor by name and told him to "stop blowing smoke up people's asses and sign the paper."

While there has yet to be word from the UFC regarding their stance since President Dana White offered Mayweather a purse the boxing champion quickly dismissed, the Dublin native being under contract means they will certainly have to play a role in the negotiations.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Both sports would lose credibility, I think, if this nonsense happens.

So as someone who morally dislikes combat sports, let 'em take their paycheck for a non-event.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

He's entertaining, at least :lol:

RedRevongge

It's amazing that this looks like happening. Although it is almost certain Floyd will win, I can't help thinking about if McGregor lands one of those devastating left hands.

The build up will be epic too

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Shame they seem set on it being a boxing match rather than MMA. I would love to see Floyd get his legs kicked off.

You know all the trash talk from Conor is just for show because he won't bring up all the domestic violence issues surrounding Mayweather.

Donut

Imagine Conor KOs Floyd with a head kick then says "I apologize to absolutely nobody." Would become biggest boxing legend in an instant (& probably go to jail for 10 years).

duffer

Scout
Given Floyd is one of the greatest boxers ever, should this really go more than a couple of rounds?

I know he's older and hasn't knocked many people out in recent years but surely the gulf in class is just too vast for this to last.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Given Floyd is one of the greatest boxers ever, should this really go more than a couple of rounds?

I know he's older and hasn't knocked many people out in recent years but surely the gulf in class is just too vast for this to last.
Floyd will carry him for as long as he can. Conor will gas within 5 rounds regardless. Mayweather's hands are too brittle for him to hunt for a K.O. but he could easily land a clean chin shot K.O. on any of the bazillion counter opportunities he will get.

I still think this ends in DQ after McGregor gets so frustrated he lashes out with an illegal strike, most likely a kick.

duffer

Scout
Floyd will carry him for as long as he can. Conor will gas within 5 rounds regardless. Mayweather's hands are too brittle for him to hunt for a K.O. but he could easily land a clean chin shot K.O. on any of the bazillion counter opportunities he will get.

I still think this ends in DQ after McGregor gets so frustrated he lashes out with an illegal strike, most likely a kick.
As good as Floyd is, he has to give him the treatment CM Punk got.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
As good as Floyd is, he has to give him the treatment CM Punk got.
He will box tentatively and cautiously, like he always does. I don't think that's conducive to anything but an embarrassing showing for Conor regardless of when the fight ends. This is the best defensive boxer of all-time vs a non-pro - Conor is going to look bad whether he swings for the fences or tries to strategically navigate the bout.

CM Punk was put in with an eager, young rookie, I'm not sure one of the best of all time UFC fighters would have gone in to destroy him in the same way as it would look bad on them. Not sure there's enough animosity for Floyd to go in there with bad intentions to humiliate Conor anymore than his own boxing will.

duffer

Scout
He will box tentatively and cautiously, like he always does. I don't think that's conducive to anything but an embarrassing showing for Conor regardless of when the fight ends. This is the best defensive boxer of all-time vs a non-pro - Conor is going to look bad whether he swings for the fences or tries to strategically navigate the bout.

CM Punk was put in with an eager, young rookie, I'm not sure one of the best of all time UFC fighters would have gone in to destroy him in the same way as it would look bad on them. Not sure there's enough animosity for Floyd to go in there with bad intentions to humiliate Conor anymore than his own boxing will.
Gall thought he had to do what he did to prove that not anyone can just decide to compete in the UFC.

McGregor is not just setting foot into a pro boxing ring, he's going against one of the all time greats. If Conor lasts 4 rounds, it's a miracle.

Floyd will not be paid per round, it's in his best interest to prove that not any old loudmouth can talk his way into a ring and actually last more than a few minutes.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Gall thought he had to do what he did to prove that not anyone can just decide to compete in the UFC.

McGregor is not just setting foot into a pro boxing ring, he's going against one of the all time greats. If Conor lasts 4 rounds, it's a miracle.

Floyd will not be paid per round, it's in his best interest to prove that not any old loudmouth can talk his way into a ring and actually last more than a few minutes.
That's what a young version of Mayweather (Pretty Boy) might do, but 'Money' is not going to be looking for a K.O. like that - if the opening is there, he will take it, but he won't break from his plan to do anything.

Also, the worst way to punish Conor is to keep him in the ring for as long as he can stand and absolutely pummel his face with an endless stream of jabs. I think a swift KO isn't as resounding as trapsing, gassed, around a ring chasing shadows for 36 minutes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Isn't connor bigger than floyd tho? Are we sure floyd even has the power for a quick KO? Asking because i don't know much about connor

Oggmonster

You know all the trash talk from Conor is just for show because he won't bring up all the domestic violence issues surrounding Mayweather.
He tweeted about it a few months ago from what I remember. I do agree it is for show as is most trash talk.

Isn't connor bigger than floyd tho? Are we sure floyd even has the power for a quick KO? Asking because i don't know much about connor
He's an inch taller than him according to their billed heights.

Re the power Floyd could knock him out, his hands are fecked though apparently hence the change in fighting style for last few years.

cyberman

Ah ffs, just realised that it's a boxing match which means there can't be any mma fights on the undercard.
Im suddenly against this, at least if it was mma Dana would stack the undercard with world class matchups.
I'm disgusted and it's my fault :(

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's an inch taller than him according to their billed heights.

Re the power Floyd could knock him out, his hands are fecked though apparently hence the change in fighting style for last few years.
Afaik, connor should be some 15/20 pounds heavier?

Kazi

Ah ffs, just realised that it's a boxing match which means there can't be any mma fights on the undercard.
Im suddenly against this, at least if it was mma Dana would stack the undercard with world class matchups.
I'm disgusted and it's my fault :(
As Dana's involvements will be minimal, at least the fighter's will be paid fairly.

Oggmonster

Afaik, connor should be some 15/20 pounds heavier?
It's a bit of a weird one weight wise. Conor probably walks around a lot heavier than Floyd but then for the fight there will be a weight limit so they'll weigh in at a similar weight on the scales.

Boxers don't tend to do as extreme weight cuts as MMA fighters as well. Floyd especially I reckon he won't put on much weight in between fights as he is pretty much training 24/7.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's a bit of a weird one weight wise. Conor probably walks around a lot heavier than Floyd but then for the fight there will be a weight limit so they'll weigh in at a similar weight on the scales.

Boxers don't tend to do as extreme weight cuts as MMA fighters as well. Floyd especially I reckon he won't put on much weight in between fights as he is pretty much training 24/7.
Yeah, i meant, they'd have to fight at a catchweight that wouldn't force connor to drain himself, wouldn't they? Like 160/165 pounds? Wouldn't connor be much heavier than floyd on fight night then?

Oggmonster

Yeah, i meant, they'd have to fight at a catchweight that wouldn't force connor to drain himself, wouldn't they? Like 160/165 pounds? Wouldn't connor be much heavier than floyd on fight night then?
I'm not sure what weight they'd go at. As Mayweather keeps saying he's the A Side so I'd suggest it's more on his terms.

Conor is a former UFC featherweight chmpion (145lbs) and Mayweather spent most of his career at 147lbs so I'd guess they could fight at anything above that.

Floyd has fought at junior middleweight a few times so maybe that'll be the weight. I don't think it will go any higher than that though.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I'd love to see this happen, only from the POV that I'd love to see Connor get a good hiding.

El-Manos

Such a mismatch. It's two different sports at the end of the day. Would be like Federer going up against a former world champion badminton player or something.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Such a mismatch. It's two different sports at the end of the day. Would be like Federer going up against a former world champion badminton player or something.
More like Phelps going up against Bolt on the track.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Would have been better if it was a UFC fight, rather than boxing

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Ariel Helwani has just said on the MMA hour that negotiations are moving along and 16th September is the date being discussed.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Silly question. If he makes this fight then it will probably be the last fight he ever needs to make.

UFC money will seem like peanuts in comparison.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why is McGregor so desperate to lose?
More money than he'd ever make in a UFC fight, plus he'd be losing in a way that has next to no effect on his status within the UFC. Career-wise it makes total sense, as long as he can stand everyone laughing at him when he loses.

cyberman

Why is McGregor so desperate to lose?
It's only one disclipline. If he loses he can claim he bravely walked into Floyd's ring now he has to man up and walk into his octagon.
Conor would kill him in a proper fight, that can't be ignored so his reputation wouldn't be damaged that much.

cyberman

Not really. Boxers are terrible at MMA, MMA fighters are at least competent at boxing.
They're really not. Technique wise it's in the dark ages while the distances etc are different in each sport. Fighters with no boxing background would be lost in the ring.
Even then with the earning potential of both sports, a skllled boxer wouldn't touch mma so its the worst of the worst that makes the jump.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not really. Boxers are terrible at MMA, MMA fighters are at least competent at boxing.
I'd say the gap between the two is about the same. As in, a boxer has no right being in an MMA ring and an MMA fighter has no right being in a boxing ring.