g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather | Again?

Classical Mechanic

People ignore the fact that Mayweather has consistently underwritten the costs for the Golden Gloves, paid for Genaro Hernandez's funeral has supported the wife of Chico Corrales etc
The Jimmy Savile defense.

Classic Mayweather given

Ironically, the story begins with Mayweather claiming to be a champion for battered women. In 2001, Mayweather fought what was then the biggest fight of his career, against the favored Diego “Chico” Corrales. Corrales, a deeply troubled but usually benevolent soul, was facing an impending jail sentence for assaulting his wife. Mayweather, always eager to get under his opponents’ skin, pounced on it. He dedicated his performance to “all the battered women in the world” and even entered the ring to music bashing violence against women. It worked. In retrospect, it’s obvious that Corrales would have lost to Mayweather under any circumstances, but he was atypically distracted and off his game that night, resulting in what many still consider to be the most impressive win of Mayweather’s career.

From

http://deadspin.com/the-trouble-with-floyd-mayweather-1605217498

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I get what you're saying but there are loads of examples of boxers who've taken a beating with no permanent consequences to their health. It's a fight game. There's always risks. Every MMA fight is only one flying knee away from that horrific depressed skull fracture Cyborg got last year. I don't understand why you're so convinced McGregor will be permanently harmed, no matter how bad a mismatch the fight turns out to be.
I think the way boxers get duffed up, and the amount of rounds of sparring they do in preparation for that is another world to that of MMA. By the time a boxer is at Floyd's level, the amount of sparring they've done is off the charts and they're as best (for better or worse by the time they hit their latter years - potential dementia pugilistica) conditioned to take those shots as a human can be. The cumulative damage in boxing is also so much more than MMA as all those softening shots to the head/body can often lead to the K.O's seen in the later rounds, even the most gruelling MMA fights are swift in comparison to the tenderising process of a methodical boxer taking his opponent apart over 30+ minutes of boxing, which is what Floyd often does.

Even accounting for the smaller gloves in MMA and how much quicker they conclude a fight, Conor has been badly rocked by punches from Diaz in both fights. On his best day, Diaz can't punch like Floyd nor does he have the accuracy or speed. I don't know what the equivalency would be between a gloved hand of Diaz in an MMA glove and Floyd in a boxing one (PPI/force etc.) but I doubt Diaz would land with the same velocity and accuracy even allowing for Mayweather being in a bigger and more padded glove. If he's tagging Conor at will for x amount of rounds, I think there's a huge element of risk, much greater than Conor has ever had in his MMA career.

Another thing that comes to mind is that Conor fights long with his chin in the air in MMA. Could he unlearn that and tuck for a boxing match where he quickly realises what he's actually got himself into and very probably his natural fighting instincts come out? Every time Diaz tagged Conor when he was fatigued, Conor's instinct was to try and fire back, he dove for Diaz's leg at the end of their first fight when he realised he was in serious trouble, point being, not once did he shell up or defend himself when faced with adverse conditions. That would be incredibly dangerous if he had the same instinct in a boxing bout.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think the way boxers get duffed up, and the amount of rounds of sparring they do in preparation for that is another world to that of MMA. By the time a boxer is at Floyd's level, the amount of sparring they've done is off the charts and they're as best (for better or worse by the time they hit their latter years - potential dementia pugilistica) conditioned to take those shots as a human can be. The cumulative damage in boxing is also so much more than MMA as all those softening shots to the head/body can often lead to the K.O's seen in the later rounds, even the most gruelling MMA fights are swift in comparison to the tenderising process of a methodical boxer taking his opponent apart over 30+ minutes of boxing, which is what Floyd often does.

Even accounting for the smaller gloves in MMA and how much quicker they conclude a fight, Conor has been badly rocked by punches from Diaz in both fights. On his best day, Diaz can't punch like Floyd nor does he have the accuracy or speed. I don't know what the equivalency would be between a gloved hand of Diaz in an MMA glove and Floyd in a boxing one (PPI/force etc.) but I doubt Diaz would land with the same velocity and accuracy even allowing for Mayweather being in a bigger and more padded glove. If he's tagging Conor at will for x amount of rounds, I think there's a huge element of risk, much greater than Conor has ever had in his MMA career.

Another thing that comes to mind is that Conor fights long with his chin in the air in MMA. Could he unlearn that and tuck for a boxing match where he quickly realises what he's actually got himself into and very probably his natural fighting instincts come out? Every time Diaz tagged Conor when he was fatigued, Conor's instinct was to try and fire back, he dove for Diaz's leg at the end of their first fight when he realised he was in serious trouble, point being, not once did he shell up or defend himself when faced with adverse conditions. That would be incredibly dangerous if he had the same instinct in a boxing bout.
I absolutely agree that boxing is more damaging to the brain than MMA. More headshots, heavier gloves, getting a standing count when you're rocked instead of getting swarmed for a quick finish. What I don't get is why you're so convinced that Conor is likely to be permanently damaged as the result of a single boxing bout? I think he would lose (and lose badly) but there's no reason to think his long-term physical consequences would be any worse than any other boxer who gets a beating. If anything, a history of repeated head shots from sparring would make any individual more, rather than less, prone to permanent brain damage. As you say, it's the cumulative effect of hundreds of head shots over years and years that is most likely to cause brain damage.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
The Jimmy Savile defense.

Classic Mayweather given

Ironically, the story begins with Mayweather claiming to be a champion for battered women. In 2001, Mayweather fought what was then the biggest fight of his career, against the favored Diego “Chico” Corrales. Corrales, a deeply troubled but usually benevolent soul, was facing an impending jail sentence for assaulting his wife. Mayweather, always eager to get under his opponents’ skin, pounced on it. He dedicated his performance to “all the battered women in the world” and even entered the ring to music bashing violence against women. It worked. In retrospect, it’s obvious that Corrales would have lost to Mayweather under any circumstances, but he was atypically distracted and off his game that night, resulting in what many still consider to be the most impressive win of Mayweather’s career.

From

http://deadspin.com/the-trouble-with-floyd-mayweather-1605217498
Supported his wife after Chico passed not in an attempt to get under Chico's skin. She said it herself

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
McGregor gets a ton of shit for his arrogance and the way he flaunts his wealth. He's one of Ireland's most unpopular sportsmen (despite being arguably the most succesful) for exactly that reason.
Perhaps outside of Ireland then because I don't see him get shit at all, I'd go as far as saying he is one of sports most popular faces. He gets away with what he wants with the UFC and the fans and public lap it up. Skip Bayless has previously chastised Floyd for the things that McGregor does yet he remains silent when McGregor does it.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Perhaps outside of Ireland then because I don't see him get shit at all, I'd go as far as saying he is one of sports most popular faces. He gets away with what he wants with the UFC and the fans and public lap it up. Skip Bayless has previously chastised Floyd for the things that McGregor does yet he remains silent when McGregor does it.
Fair enough. I assumed he divided opinions everywhere. Divisive characters are often very popular tbf. Surely Mayweather's PPV figures are boosted by being someone everyone loves to hate? That's an approach McGregor seems to be trying to emulate.

Oggmonster

Fair enough. I assumed he divided opinions everywhere. Divisive characters are often very popular tbf. Surely Mayweather's PPV figures are boosted by being someone everyone loves to hate? That's an approach McGregor seems to be trying to emulate.
I'd say he does in the MMA community there's plenty of people that don't like him or think he's a dick (as we've read in the MMA thread as I've seen you in there talking about it.) Outside of MMA and probably people who just see his fights and the personality he's hugely popular with anyone I've ever met. Most people in England reel off his quotes for weeks after pressers involving him.

Mayweather did know he sold PPVs on people wanting to see him lose, it's same reason he sold so many tickets probably as well. SO people could say "I was there" it's a pretty good tactic to be fair as it does obviously work for him. His later press conferences he seemed completely different as well, the build up to the Pacquiao fight he wasn't anything like his earlier big fights. Probably cos at the point he knew they sold themselves.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I think he has as many fans as haters. So loads from both sides

Also looking at Ireland we normally hate our successful personalities, so no surprise

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I absolutely agree that boxing is more damaging to the brain than MMA. More headshots, heavier gloves, getting a standing count when you're rocked instead of getting swarmed for a quick finish. What I don't get is why you're so convinced that Conor is likely to be permanently damaged as the result of a single boxing bout? I think he would lose (and lose badly) but there's no reason to think his long-term physical consequences would be any worse than any other boxer who gets a beating. If anything, a history of repeated head shots from sparring would make any individual more, rather than less, prone to permanent brain damage. As you say, it's the cumulative effect of hundreds of head shots over years and years that is most likely to cause brain damage.
I just think it's a very big risk as he is at the mercy of an all-time great who regularly makes mugs of even those trying to take his straps. In boxer-to-boxer terms, Mayweather is far from a hard hitter, which is why so many of his fights go the distance, but he's not hitting those guys with a barrage of flush shots and they have the fight prep/conditioning. Conor does a lot of things a boxer, even at lower levels, wouldn't, and that adds to more exposure of his chin for the kind of quality punching he's never seen in his life. An amateur boxer has the ring instinct to soften as many blows as he can by blocking, parrying, rolling with the shots so it would be a rare sight to see them battered at their own level, but you put one in with Mayweather going all guns blazing in a $100m PPV and they're potentially shaving years off their career. Conor's adding more risk than the hypothetical amateur because he doesn't have that kind of muscle memory or instincts.

Pogue Mahone

I think he has as many fans as haters. So loads from both sides

Also looking at Ireland we normally hate our successful personalities, so no surprise
We love Katy Taylor and those rowing lads. We don't mind success, we despise arrogance.

But you're right. He does have a lot of fans in Ireland. Just like Mayweather has a lot of fans in the US. They seem very similar in the way they divide opinions.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
We love Katy Taylor and those rowing lads. We don't mind success, we despise arrogance.
But so many of the non-UFC watching members of the Irish public don't realise that 99% of McGregor's antics are purely for show to promote fights etc. They just see this man shouting about how much money he makes as they're the quotes that make headlines.

I think he has shown several times in the past that he is quite humble in that he appreciates where he has come from and acknowledges how much his team etc have done to get him to where he is.

Pogue Mahone

But so many of the non-UFC watching members of the Irish public don't realise that 99% of McGregor's antics are purely for show to promote fights etc. They just see this man shouting about how much money he makes as they're the quotes that make headlines.

I think he has shown several times in the past that he is quite humble in that he appreciates where he has come from and acknowledges how much his team etc have done to get him to where he is.
True. I like him fwiw. Seems a decent sort, despite all the bluster and crass posts on social media. You can see why a lot of people hate him though.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
I think a lot of Mayweather's numbers come from people thinking finally he will fight someone that can beat him (Canelo, Pac, Oscar are his highest)

Personally I love McGregor, was in New York for hi second Diaz fight and the 40/40 club was packed with people who couldn't get to Vegas to see it. I saw Ric Flair and Odell Beckham Jr but there were more celebs in there.

Think he has really grown into a megastar that people will tune into whether they like him or not

Deleted member 101472

Mentioning skip Bayless should be banned on any forum in the world IMO.

Deleted member 101472

The guy is a massive dickhead, he honestly thinks Conor would batter Floyd in boxing :houllier:
He doesn't. He's the biggest wum on planet earth, makes successful on here look like a genuine guy.

Zen

Skip Bayless is the clickbait of sports. And he's massively successful at it, so whatever. I wouldn't know what his actual opinions are because his job is to seemingly get attention not voice his opinion, he gets attention.

RedRevongge

Pacquaio has offered to face McGregor if Mayweather declines. That would be a much harder fight for McGregor in my opinion

RedRevongge

Not seeing that at all. Manny is an offensive fighter and therefore open to be hit. McGregor would struggle to even lay a glove on Floyd.
You're right sorry I should have clarified. I think in a boxing match realistically McGregor gets schooled (although i'd love to be wrong). However I think Mayweather's style and the fact he isn't a heavy puncher would mean McGregor would last longer against him.

Classical Mechanic

You're right sorry I should have clarified. I think in a boxing match realistically McGregor gets schooled (although i'd love to be wrong). However I think Mayweather's style and the fact he isn't a heavy puncher would mean McGregor would last longer against him.
Ahh. Yeah, Manny would erase him in a round.

Zebs

To be officially announced in the next two weeks apparently. McGregor had an event in Dublin this Friday which has been cancelled due to an "unavoidable schedule conflict which sees Conor in Las Vegas this weekend."

GBBQ

To be officially announced in the next two weeks apparently. McGregor had an event in Dublin this Friday which has been cancelled due to an "unavoidable schedule conflict which sees Conor in Las Vegas this weekend."
Its all coming from a report in the sun which is bound to be just guess work after the Q&A cancellation.

Don't see it happening.

Zebs

Its all coming from a report in the sun which is bound to be just guess work after the Q&A cancellation.

Don't see it happening.
Well, he'd have to be going to Vegas for a reason?

GBBQ

Well, he'd have to be going to Vegas for a reason?
No doubt, could be UFC related or something for one of his sponsors?

For so many reasons the Mcgregor v Mayweatehr fight just doesn't seem like it will go ahead. I'll stand corrected if that's what this relates to but just seems unlikely.

Kazi

Doubt it. Canelo's already securing Vegas for Cinco de Mayo weekend.

Kazi

If this happens I assume its going to be MMA...McGregor to win if its MMA..Mayweather if its boxing obviously.
If this happens, Floyd has every advantage. He'll be the promoter, he gets the majority of the purse, he chooses the sport, the gloves, the location, the ref. Everything.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If this happens I assume its going to be MMA...McGregor to win if its MMA..Mayweather if its boxing obviously.
There's absolutely no way you'd get Floyd Mayweather in an MMA fight.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nope, boxing is all that has been discussed, which as you said means McGregor is certain to lose. Would get a nice big payday for it though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mcgregor clearly feels he stands a chance beating Mayweather at boxing, his confidence is admirable but it's blind faith.

Those big heavy gloves won't carry the same wack he's used to having. If he's not finished him inside 3 rounds he will be dead on his feet IMO.

T_Model101

It's a pure business decision from Connor. He knows he'll lose this, but it's a significantly larger payday than he'll ever make in, well Probably the rest of his MMA career.
Personally I think there's too much money for this not to happen