Conte | Spurs Manager

TheReligion

Abusive
I like Gil - he looks a talented kid to me. The problem is he is quite light weight right now and need to improve his strength to cope with the premier league - also he is a young kid coming from a different league and country so it takes time to adapt. I'd really like to see him get a decent loan somewhere for the rest of this season and then properly integrate him into the squad next season.
Gil is a good lad. Plus has hair like mine.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He does love a moan about the club he works for, ol' Toni.
He's complimented us more in his post match interviews after the games this month than he did in his entire second season here.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
But it would be the smart thing to do. To invest money on the team. They need players to get back to the CL and with the CL comes both UEFA money and more notoriety, that helps attract sponsors.
Borrow in the hundreds of millions in the hopes of securing one top four finish? Push their debt to a billion during a time when they have posted losses because of the pandemic?

aka

"the smart thing to do"

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He is going to ruin his cv at Spurs just like Mourinho's ,the club itself has always been the problem possibly sacked / quit earlier than Mou. I think this is why you should compare a manager based on the club he took not just the manager ability itself

Conte took Chelsea and Inter ( look at inter today, does they look like they are missing conte ? )
Mourinho took United and Spurs

That's why people thought Mourinho is finished while Conte is in his prime ,when the reality it's the club Mourinho took that were finished
Spurs have declined since Poch left because of the chronic lack of investment even when he was still at the club. They were always going to struggle to maintain that level as some of their best players left/aged and were not properly replaced.

Even despite that they doubled down and made an even worse decision appointing Mourinho. He’s absolutely finished as an even decent level manager. The game has truly passed him by and he’s proven that in his last 4 jobs.

Pintu

Borrow in the hundreds of millions in the hopes of securing one top four finish? Push their debt to a billion during a time when they have posted losses because of the pandemic?

aka

"the smart thing to do"
Not the hundreds. 80/90 M + whatever they can get form sales would do just fine.

A strong team would guarantee more than one top 4 finish.

romufc

It's weird how clubs like Arsenal and Spurs put their positions down to lack of Investement.

Spurs built a brand new stadium and training ground, the season that was complete they spent £133m

Then Jose was given £100m and Nuno £60m

In a Pandemic, I think that is not lack of investment.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's weird how clubs like Arsenal and Spurs put their positions down to lack of Investement.

Spurs built a brand new stadium and training ground, the season that was complete they spent £133m

Its lack of investment compared to the competition though isnt it - that and the actual quality of players you bring in - unfortunately for Spurs our recruitment has generally been shocking especially on the bigger money spends.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

It’s a combination of lack of investment when we were on the up and poor investment when it was too late.

romufc

It’s a combination of lack of investment when we were on the up and poor investment when it was too late.
I feel Spurs and United are similar. Investing for the sake of it. It seems no thought gone into players bought. I look at players like Ndombole, Gill when you need players to impact the PL, its poor.

Pep's Suit

I think he'll try to finish in Top4 then leave this small club and wait for PSG, Real, Juve or Milan.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think he'll try to finish in Top4 then leave this small club and wait for PSG, Real, Juve or Milan.
Would Real go for him? He's great domestically but Real sees itself as a club with the divine right to win the Champions League.

His European record is quite bad

redshaw

Bit early yet to write him off. They have two games in hand as well but even 5th or 6th is a turnaround.

Aren't Spurs one of the form teams since he took over, second behind City before the weekend and I never expected them to beat Chelsea away. United should get 4th if they carry on out their slumber, we have the squad. Conte has done a very good job so far so lets see how they do and what players they bring in. Traore could be quite a boost.

Pintu

I think Agnelli would rather get relegated to Serie B than appoint Conte again. They kind of hate each other. And maybe the entitled extremely wealthy Agnelli isn't used to his employees being disrespectful to him.

Would Real go for him? He's great domestically but Real sees itself as a club with the divine right to win the Champions League.
His European record is quite bad
His record in the CL is not as bad as people make it out to be. There is context. It is not like he took Bayern or peak Barça and made them poor in the CL.

And by the way, Real considered him in the summer. He was not ready to take a new job back then.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ahh ok so clearly Ole is a much better manager than Conte
He’s available if you’re looking to upgrade. ;) That said if you want to beat Chelsea maybe just send Conte back there?

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Did anyone actually see the line-up Spurs had out yesterday?

Lloris; Tanganga, Sanchez, Dier, Davies; Doherty, Hojbjerg, Winks, Sessegnon; Bergwijn, Kane

I swear some of you have no perspective whatsoever. Lewis Hamilton is a great driver but what's he going to do in a Williams? A manager can only do so much.

Dec9003

Lloris; Tanganga, Sanchez, Dier, Davies; Doherty, Hojbjerg, Winks, Sessegnon; Bergwijn, Kane

I swear some of you have no perspective whatsoever. Lewis Hamilton is a great driver but what's he going to do in a Williams? A manager can only do so much.
They’ve lost three times to Chelsea in the last few weeks, each time with different lineups and haven’t managed to score a goal.

Dec9003

So in conclusion: Chelsea are better.
Chelsea are better, yeah. They’ve not been in great form themselves though, so you’d think over three matches a top manager like Conte might be able to get some kind of performance out of his players.
Conte is a good manager but I’m struggling to remember a manager as protected on the caf as he is.

romufc

Well unless someone held him at gunpoint to say select this team?

It was his choice to go so defensive, he had options on the bench.

Lewis Hamilton is a great driver but he isn't going to go into a Williams when there is a Ferrari about.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Well unless someone held him at gunpoint to say select this team?

It was his choice to go so defensive, he had options on the bench.

Lewis Hamilton is a great driver but he isn't going to go into a Williams when there is a Ferrari about.
Spurs don't have a Ferrari, that's the problem.

Conte is a top manager but he's not going to have the patience for an extended rebuild. And while Spurs might be able to eek out a top four finish this year or next, there's no way they are challenging for the trophies Conte cares about - the PL or CL - anytime soon, no matter who the manager might be.

It's a short-term marriage of convenience. Conte cashes some big checks and stays active in the game for a year or two while waiting for a better job to open up, Spurs use him to take one last crack at making top four and/or winning a domestic cup before Kane and Son really start declining. But neither side can openly acknowledge this publicly as it wouldn't sit right with the fans.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I think he'd rather finish fifth with these players than fourth, having squeezed every last drop of the players at his disposal.

That squad needs a refresh.
- He won’t get more money to spend for finishing lower.
- Players won’t be keener to play Europa League be Chanpions League.
- He won’t get as big of a bonus
- He will lose players

But yeah, he would be over the moon to do worse instead of better.

romufc

Spurs don't have a Ferrari, that's the problem.

Conte is a top manager but he's not going to have the patience for an extended rebuild. And while Spurs might be able to eek out a top four finish this year or next, there's no way they are challenging for the trophies Conte cares about - the PL or CL - anytime soon, no matter who the manager might be.

It's a short-term marriage of convenience. Conte cashes some big checks and stays active in the game for a year or two while waiting for a better job to open up, Spurs use him to take one last crack at making top four and/or winning a domestic cup before Kane and Son really start declining. But neither side can openly acknowledge this publicly as it wouldn't sit right with the fans.
There are things I agree but they do have more attacking talent than what Conte put out.

They spent £22m on Gill, £50m Lo Celso, £60m Ndombole, Moura too.

Also, we have seen it with other clubs, fine you don't like the players like Alli, Ndombole then youngsters are introduced but Conte isn't even doing that.

Conte does not go somewhere where he cannot win trophies, which is why I am surprised he went there. Managers stocks are now what did you do in your last job, Conte is known to be a top top coach who can overachieve. If he fails that at Spurs, it wont be easy to get another job.

Lets also not forget, clubs want to go a different direction in terms of style of play, Conte is probably one of the few with the defensive mould that gets results these days.

Stgun

Spurs have declined since Poch left because of the chronic lack of investment even when he was still at the club. They were always going to struggle to maintain that level as some of their best players left/aged and were not properly replaced.

Even despite that they doubled down and made an even worse decision appointing Mourinho. He’s absolutely finished as an even decent level manager. The game has truly passed him by and he’s proven that in his last 4 jobs.
Lies told thousands times is still a lie. I don't believe he was finished, not at all .He won trophies in all his last 4 jobs except at Spurs, thanks to them sacking him for no reason just before his first attempt to a trophy. He keeps taking difficult job that might ruined his own CV doesn't equal with finished.
Conte is light years ahead of present day Mourinho unfortunately. I know their performances against us were pretty shit but even with us big games weren't his strongest point (he lost 4 out of 8 against a finished Wenger winning only one). It's why he wins a lot of leagues but rarely any cups.
No he isn't , he picks better job yes but he isn't better manager. If he was better then i am not sure why a manager in his prime must be backed with new players while a "finished dinosaur manager" like Mourinho must work with what he has and get the best out of them at Spurs. Prime Conte couldn't even get the best of Harry Kane unlike the finished dinosaur.

I don't think Conte has any chance to success at Spurs cause even Mourinho couldn't except maybe if they bought him 22 new players like he got at Inter. He will fail there ,but the difference compared to Mourinho's fail is that it's Spurs that is going to be called finished not Conte which i agree with since you can't polish a turd anyway. By the way i wouldn't consider Mourinho's fail at Spurs, in 20/21 Tottenham scored 120 goals all competition under him , second best goal scoring season in their history , only 4 points off top 4 , and in a cup final ,his sacking has nothing to do with results nor with him losing the dressing room seeing how highly Kane spoke about him.

Last edited:

WButlerMU

Conte is a great manager for any club, his work at Juventus, Chelsea and Inter is excellent proof of his level. I don't think Tottenham could have found anyone better in the current circumstances. But he always needs quality transfers to succeed and Spurs were well aware of that when they signed him so let's see how this story ends.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Imagine being a top top manager and going to work for Daniel Levy in your prime! :houllier:

Conte deseves it for making this rubbish decision and trusting Daniel Levy.

Can't believe there are ENIC apologists out there still defending Levy.

They couldn't even get Adama for him.

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Imagine being a top top manager and going to work for Daniel Levy in your prime! :houllier:

Conte deseves it for making this rubbish decision and trusting Daniel Levy.

They couldn't even get Adama for him.
Not sure if you noticed but Barcelona are a much bigger team than Spurs and the player already had links to there. In what universe do you think the player would choose Spurs over Barcelona in this situation? Is that Levy's fault?

Also, the window is still open so... let's leave all the gloating till the window is shut and we know what's happened (or what hasnt?)

Gandalf

Not sure if you noticed but Barcelona are a much bigger team than Spurs and the player already had links to there. In what universe do you think the player would choose Spurs over Barcelona in this situation? Is that Levy's fault?

Also, the window is still open so... let's leave all the gloating till the window is shut and we know what's happened (or what hasnt?)
Well Barca did not throw their hat into the ring until a couple of days ago. Spurs had a free run at Traore for weeks and Levy haggling over a few pennies has once again cost them. I cannot imagine Antonio is feeling too warm and fuzzy towards his boss this morning.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Lies told thousands times is still a lie. I don't believe he was finished, not at all .He won trophies in all his last 4 jobs except at Spurs, thanks to them sacking him for no reason just before his first attempt to a trophy. He keeps taking difficult job that might ruined his own CV doesn't equal with finished.

No he isn't , he picks better job yes but he isn't better manager. If he was better then i am not sure why a manager in his prime must be backed with new players while a "finished dinosaur manager" like Mourinho must work with what he has and get the best out of them at Spurs. Prime Conte couldn't even get the best of Harry Kane unlike the finished dinosaur.

I don't think Conte has any chance to success at Spurs cause even Mourinho couldn't except maybe if they bought him 22 new players like he got at Inter. He will fail there ,but the difference compared to Mourinho's fail is that it's Spurs that is going to be called finished not Conte which i agree with since you can't polish a turd anyway. By the way i wouldn't consider Mourinho's fail at Spurs, in 20/21 Tottenham scored 120 goals all competition under him , second best goal scoring season in their history , only 4 points off top 4 , and in a cup final ,his sacking has nothing to do with results nor with him losing the dressing room seeing how highly Kane spoke about him.
Mourinho's Roma spent €112m this summer (which is definitely not shabby for Serie A, and, believe it or not, it's their biggest net transfer deficit *ever*) to end up with 6 points less than last season after 23 games.
Jose's still in the game just as a pastime nowadays.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well Barca did not throw their hat into the ring until a couple of days ago. Spurs had a free run at Traore for weeks and Levy haggling over a few pennies has once again cost them. I cannot imagine Antonio is feeling too warm and fuzzy towards his boss this morning.
What makes you think Mendes hasnt been whispering in his ear about Barca for weeks as well?

lloyd2wayne

He should convert Bergwijn into a RWB since he’s not getting Traoré. I believe he can do a job there. He has speed, can cross, assist and score even if not at a very top level.

Stgun

Mourinho's Roma spent €112m this summer (which is definitely not shabby for Serie A, and, believe it or not, it's their biggest net transfer deficit *ever*) to end up with 6 points less than last season after 23 games.
Jose's still in the game just as a pastime nowadays.
5th in the league , last season Roma was 7th.
Rome wasn't build in a day. They played well most of the time, only Inter has better XG in the league but not clinical enough to convert chances and not discipline enough to keep clean sheet , overall they played just as good as those teams above them.
Give Mourinho his choice of defender and give him till his 3rd season he may surprise anyone which he will cause at Roma their board , their club legend actually trust him and want to give him all the backing , their fanbase didn't overreact for every defeat and didn't have silly expectations, they know their club hasn't won anything for decades so they don't have much ego unlike United and spurs fans , and most important thing is they want Mourinho to lead their rebuild.

Something Conte probably won't be allowed to do at Spurs because their club is finished. It's going to be funny when Mourinho somehow achieve a big things at Roma, wonder what's the agenda is going to be , whether "he is back as prime manager" or "it's just serie A" because that serie A title is what makes Conte a prime manager :lol: .Because i believe he will, when you hire Mourinho you can expect success only and if only the club backed him properly , by backing him properly it means getting the players he wanted no matter who without questioning , and get rid of whoever he didn't want, no matter who without questioning and give him enough time to work with. We and Spurs question too much about who he wanted to bring ( like Perisic ) or who he wanted to get rid off ( like Martial ) and look where it lead us ? 0 trophies. The recruitment he made at Roma instantly become the starter and immediately improve the team.

Last edited: