Cop in America doing a bad job, again

mu4c_20le

Whittaker did nothing wrong, he never saw the cops through the peephole and couldn't be sure it was the police out there. It's not like he opened the door with a gun in his hand during a long police standoff. He was within his rights to be holding his gun while opening the door that late at night. The fact that those two cops covered for each other in the report was sickening.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Come on. It’s just not that simple. There are consequences from decisions that are made, there really not many good ones that can materialize when rushing out of one’s place with a gun drawn, cops or no cops outside. The cat was murdered, no doubt, but he didn’t have to be.
Didn't really rush out though did he?

MarylandMUFan

Yeah, that was straight up murder. He was cowering down in the most submissive way possible and the cop, probably nervous and scared, fired on him. It does make me wonder, how often does owning a gun cost lives in a home vs save them? Surely if he did not have a gun, he would still be alive. I will never have a gun just because I think it serves to escalate situations just like this. That being said, the guy was within his rights, reacted properly and was still murdered.
A lot to unpack there.

Halftrack

Come on. It’s just not that simple. There are consequences from decisions that are made, there really not many good ones that can materialize when rushing out of one’s place with a gun drawn, cops or no cops outside. The cat was murdered, no doubt, but he didn’t have to be.
I think American gun laws are insane, and yeah, opening the door with a gun in your hand is dumb. But! It's also legal, and shouldn't cost you your life. He wasn't even given the chance to put it down, and he literally couldn't have moved to do so any faster.

If you're going to have lax gun laws, you best make sure having a gun doesn't mean cops will use it as an excuse to kill you.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Perhaps Americans can enlighten me, how often does break ins happening? All this time "break ins" are created as if it's like some sort of boogeymen that justify having more guns than your hand can handle. Are they really is such a big issue over there? It's a fecked up society where a knock on your door should be answered accompanied with a gun.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I get what you're saying but that just goes to show how utterly absurd American gun laws and police culture is.
Having a law which if followed makes you liable to get murdered (by the cops, no less) with people still being able to "reasonably" defend the murderers is completely ridiculous.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Perhaps Americans can enlighten me, how often does break ins happening? All this time "break ins" are created as if it's like some sort of boogeymen that justify having more guns than your hand can handle. Are they really is such a big issue over there? It's a fecked up society where a knock on your door should be answered accompanied with a gun.
It’s common, but it’s a stupid argument in support of having guns because most burglaries occur during the daytime when no one is home. Home invasions on the other hand where people are present in the home are very very rare. It’s usually committed on homes where defenseless elderly people live, or to rob known drug homes. It’s all media fear-mongering and gun-nuts adamant that they need to protect their home/family, when really there’s a higher chance of an accident or other mishap

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It’s common, but it’s a stupid argument in support of having guns because most burglaries occur during the daytime when no one is home. Home invasions on the other hand where people are present in the home are very very rare. It’s usually committed on homes where defenseless elderly people live, or to rob known drug homes. It’s all media fear-mongering and gun-nuts adamant that they need to protect their home/family, when really there’s a higher chance of an accident or other mishap
I actually think the argument tends to go more the other way. Breakins are very uncommon in most areas compared to the stats I pull up of similar sized places in other parts of the world. Crime like car theft, breakins etc are very rare compared to similar sized towns in a lot of Europe for instance. Based on the comparisons in crime stats I've seen. The notion is then that many Americans believe that it's safer because people have guns but ironically those same safe areas probably have much lower rates of gun ownership than those that are not.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It's as if the one LEO has waited his entire career to point the weapon (AR-15 or M-4, not sure, possibly neither) and was gonna milk it for however long as possible.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's as if the one LEO has waited his entire career to point the weapon (AR-15 or M-4, not sure, possibly neither) and was gonna milk it for however long as possible.
I truly believe this is at the core of the issue. The mindset to want to engage with a civilian physically in some regard is overwhelming in many LEOs. Ammosexuals, MMA dorks, call them whatever you want, but these ‘peace officers’ just want to force project as doing so offers them something approaching a sexual feeling. It’s a deep seeded psychosis that doesn’t get weeded out during the hiring process. And people suffer greatly due to it.

Last edited:

Halftrack

I actually think I believe her. Seems plausible that a friend could have written 'KKK member' in her bio as a joke and that she didn't know how to edit it due to technological incompetence, which is further supported by her claim that she thought deleting the app would delete the account.

If that's indeed the case, then she didn't deserve to be fired. But I guess in today's environment, police prefer just doing dumb shit like this instead of making any meaningful changes.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I actually think I believe her. Seems plausible that a friend could have written 'KKK member' in her bio as a joke and that she didn't know how to edit it due to technological incompetence, which is further supported by her claim that she thought deleting the app would delete the account.

If that's indeed the case, then she didn't deserve to be fired. But I guess in today's environment, police prefer just doing dumb shit like this instead of making any meaningful changes.
I don’t know if I can buy that she wasn’t aware what ‘KKK’ stood for

Halftrack

I don’t know if I can buy that she wasn’t aware what ‘KKK’ stood for
I overlooked that bit apparently, but yeah, that's not really believable at all. Can't picture anyone American, and certainly not someone in the American south, not knowing what the KKK is.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I overlooked that bit apparently, but yeah, that's not really believable at all. Can't picture anyone American, and certainly not someone in the American south, not knowing what the KKK is.
I've had people create a social media account for me and not used it (while they could still theoretically take control of it once more) and I've had people write problematic shit on my fbook when I was younger and still had it (while I'd left it logged in or left the room, crap like that) so I could definitely believe that it wasn't her who wrote it. But yeah the denila of knowing the KKK part is a stretch.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Yeah, that was straight up murder. He was cowering down in the most submissive way possible and the cop, probably nervous and scared, fired on him. It does make me wonder, how often does owning a gun cost lives in a home vs save them? Surely if he did not have a gun, he would still be alive. I will never have a gun just because I think it serves to escalate situations just like this. That being said, the guy was within his rights, reacted properly and was still murdered.
A lot to unpack there.
Ask the NRA, they’ll tell you it’s always better to have a gun. They also won’t admit that having a gun increases your chances of being shot.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What’s staggeringly amazing is that this cat survived the murder attempt after having half a clip emptied into him at point blank range. And it came so easy to that police officer to fire off half a dozen rounds into him.

Skåre Willoch

I really don't understand why and how a cop can do this. I mean... how on earth can you defend this in any way?

I get that the guy might be reaching for a weapon in the car or something like that. But to shoot the guy in the back 7 (!!!) times? I mean.. Wow. I literally don't understand how this is possible. Why not shoot him in the leg at least? What happened to tasers? So many questions.

Are they taught to act like this? Even encouraged/obliged to by their superiors? Are the people in charge of this insane behavior (police education, higher ranking superiors, politicians) ever held accountable?

Halftrack

Jesus, what was he thinking? I'm not even American but you've got police pointing guns at you, you don't try to get in your car. Their first thought is always that he could be reaching for a gun.
How does that end up being the thing that sticks out to you in a video where a police officer shoots an unarmed man seven times in the back?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
How does that end up being the thing that sticks out to you in a video where a police officer shoots an unarmed man seven times in the back?
Don't try to go down that road with me, because it's been discussed a 1000 times on here and I completely understand the main issues at play here. I'm skipping past all that (racism, guns, police brutality) and just wondering, given everything the he and we know about police over there, why he still decided to try to get into his car. We all know how their police operate, one slight false move and its over. Do you understand what I'm saying?

pocco

loco
I really don't understand why and how a cop can do this. I mean... how on earth can you defend this in any way?

I get that the guy might be reaching for a weapon in the car or something like that. But to shoot the guy in the back 7 (!!!) times? I mean.. Wow. I literally don't understand how this is possible. Why not shoot him in the leg at least? What happened to tasers? So many questions.

Are they taught to act like this? Even encouraged/obliged to by their superiors? Are the people in charge of this insane behavior (police education, higher ranking superiors, politicians) ever held accountable?
They are taught to act like this. That's the problem. They will shoot to completely stop him in his tracks. If they shoot him in the leg, that won't stop him grabbing his gun. Maybe if they shot him in the leg before he got to his car, sure, but then we'd be questioning why they did that.

Skåre Willoch

They are taught to act like this. That's the problem. They will shoot to completely stop him in his tracks. If they shoot him in the leg, that won't stop him grabbing his gun. Maybe if they shot him in the leg before he got to his car, sure, but then we'd be questioning why they did that.
It's a much better/milder(?) thing to be questioning, though. I mean. I'd rather be questioned about why I shot a guy in the leg than 7 times in the back.

Also. Tasers. Have the police stopped using them or what?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Its is always the civilian that always has to act 100% rationally, the cops don't have any responsibility. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Halftrack

Don't try to go down that road with me, because it's been discussed a 1000 times on here and I completely understand the main issues at play here. I'm skipping past all that (racism, guns, police brutality) and just wondering, given everything the he and we know about police over there, why he still decided to try to get into his car. We all know how their police operate, one slight false move and its over. Do you understand what I'm saying?
I'm not trying to go down a road, I just don't think focusing on his actions is what we should be doing. There were so many more options available to them, and they failed to execute a single one before he got to his car, and then they went from zero to attempted murder in a split second.

pocco

loco
It's a much better/milder(?) thing to be questioning, though. I mean. I'd rather be questioned about why I shot a guy in the leg than 7 times in the back.

Also. Tasers. Have the police stopped using them or what?
I know but I doubt they would just shoot him in the leg because he could potentially try to get in his car. Playing devils advocate a bit here, but they tried to stop him getting into his car. If he had stopped then he might not have got shot.

I'm absolutely not condoning anything the police have done here, by the way. Just wondering what he was thinking. I mean, I'm not American but if I was over there and their police had their guns on me, I'd be unbelievably careful in every action I took until the situation was under control and their guns away. We know how trigger happy they are - I just can't believe he ignored everything, especially in this current climate where these issues are at the fore. I mean, it's almost like he's tried to make himself a martyr, this possibility must have crossed his mind when he ignored them. It's shit, really shit. But I feel like completely avoidable. I don't get the feeling that these police were like some of the others that were looking to kill, just following their shitty training.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You've got to be stupid to do what he did. Seriously, you lean into your car where they can't see your hands, we all know what happens next in that backwards country.
It's easy for you to call him stupid but you cannot guarantee how you would act if you had a gun drawn at you. There are a million things thise policemen could have done before pumping seven shots in his back.
It's a disgusting lack of respect for another person's life.