Copa America 2015 | Tournament over, Eboue misses the final, everyone lols

justboy68

Teams not from South America being invited to compete in that regions tournament is barmy to be honest. It's like Real Madrid being invited to play in the FA cup one season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Teams not from South America being invited to compete in that regions tournament is barmy to be honest. It's like Real Madrid being invited to play in the FA cup one season.
Or Swansea in the English leagues..

They kind of have to. They only have 12 countries in South America, and only 10 of them are competitive. Guyana and Suriname are the other two but they are represented in the CONCACAF. Its only logical for the Copa America to invite nations to the tournament.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Or Swansea in the English leagues..

They kind of have to. They only have 12 countries in South America, and only 10 of them are competitive. Guyana and Suriname are the other two but they are represented in the CONCACAF. Its only logical for the Copa America to invite nations to the tournament.
As someone with a Guyanese father I often wonder how Guyana would fare if they were in Commebol. Would they concede double digit goals every match?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
As someone with a Guyanese father I often wonder how Guyana would fare if they were in Commebol. Would they concede double digit goals every match?
Well they played Colombia in a friendly 3 years ago and lost 7-1.. their last International fixture was in 2012.

beergod

The 2016 Copa America will be held in the USA, but that's some sort of merge with the Gold Cup I think.
Not a merger. The Copa America centenary in the US is a straight up cash grab, similar to why the Mexican NT plays many matches in the U.S. and the Gold Cup is always played here every time even when another country hosts some matches.

Eila

Copa America 2016 is a friendly tourney pretty much. I do wonder what kind of squads the teams will take, since there is only the olympics that year.

Woodzy

The title of this thread makes it sound like it he got pissed up and did it himself for a dare or something.

Roman Bellic

Prick

:(, but at least he will be ready in time for the Super cup against Bayern.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I've updated post #3 and #4 with all the final squads.

European teams with at least two players at the Copa:

6 - PSG
4 - Man City, Barcelona, Juventus, Fiorentina, Napoli
3 - Man Utd, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Torino, Porto
2 - Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Sevilla, Eintracht Frankfurt, Rayo Vallecano, Genoa, Sampdoria, AC Milan, Atalanta, Monaco, Benfica, Zenit, Shakhtar Donetsk

Last edited:

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I'm hoping for a Chile vs Argentina final. The Copa is exciting and this year you can see 4-5 teams that contain at least 1 superstar.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Hopefully Di Maria has a great tournament and restores confidence to himself.

Him, Valencia and Rojo. Anyone else from United?
Valencia is not in the Ecuador squad. Angelo Henriquez is in Chile's, however.

I've updated post #3 and #4 with all the final squads.

European teams with at least two players at the Copa:

6 - PSG
4 - Man City, Barcelona, Juventus, Fiorentina, Napoli
3 - Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Torino, Porto
2 - Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Sevilla, Eintracht Frankfurt, Rayo Vallecano, Genoa, Sampdoria, AC Milan, Atalanta, Monaco, Benfica, Zenit, Shakhtar Donetsk
Rojo, Di Maria and Henriquez.

DannyDash

Anyone else think its shocking that neither BT or Sky Sports attained the broadcasting rights for this, its a showpiece event and Premier Sports gets it, its laughable. Surely BT could have put it on ESPN if they didn't want it on their main channels.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
How else do you create three groups of four with 10 teams? Two of 5 is far too many group games.

It's (to my knowledge - I guess OFC as well) the only continental tourno where every country participates: no qualifiers and still not enough teams to fill the groups.

It should typically be US & Mexico though, it's Copa América after all.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Anyone fancy having a go at some starting XI's? How strong will the lineups be?

Possible Brazil XI:

Jefferson
Danilo - Luiz - Silva - F.Luis
Elias - Fernandinho
Willian - Coutinho - Neymar
Firmino​

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Let it go, he's leaving.

But as it stands, he's a Manchester United player. To leave him off a list starts making it opinion and not fact!

I can't believe LVG wouldn't give him a shot.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Cant wait to see Argentina, Messi and Banega :drool:

----------------Romero----------
Zabaleta--Otamendi-Garay---Rojo
------------Mascherano---------
-------Banega-------Biglia-------
Messi---------Kun-------Di Maria

Tevez supersub :( Would love to see Di Maria in place of Biglia and Tevez in front three.....

Samid

But as it stands, he's a Manchester United player. To leave him off a list starts making it opinion and not fact!

I can't believe LVG wouldn't give him a shot.
Okay fine, I have edited that list. Happy now? ;)

He should've been given a chance to prove himself this forthcoming pre-season. Selling him for the fee that was reported last month is just daft.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Okay fine, I have edited that list. Happy now? ;)

He should've been given a chance to prove himself this forthcoming pre-season. Selling him for the fee that was reported last month is just daft.
Thrilled!

I hope he gets chances. Perhaps he'll get some for his country this summer too, it'd be great to see him do something - he's been on fire this season.

bucky

Anyone fancy having a go at some starting XI's? How strong will the lineups be?

Possible Brazil XI:

Jefferson
Danilo - Luiz - Silva - F.Luis
Elias - Fernandinho
Willian - Coutinho - Neymar
Firmino​
Romero

Zabaleta - Garay - Otamendi - Rojo

Mascherano - Pereyra

Messi - Pastore - di Maria

Agüero

vs

Firmino

Neymar - Coutinho - Willian

Fernandinho - Fabinho

Filipe Luis - Thiago Silva - David Luiz - Danilo

Jefferson​
What I hope for I guess.

Marcelo, Alex Sandro, Lucas Moura, Felipe Anderson? But Robinho is initially called up?

antohan

Just looking at that reminds me how fecked we are for goalkeepers. Who was the last great South American goalkeeper? Chilavert? Julio César had a very short peak.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Anyone else think its shocking that neither BT or Sky Sports attained the broadcasting rights for this, its a showpiece event and Premier Sports gets it, its laughable. Surely BT could have put it on ESPN if they didn't want it on their main channels.
That's a big disappointment.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Chile vs Ecuador should kick off around 00:30 here in the UK :) Definitely going to keep an eye on that.

ctp

Why are Brazil still not playing Diego Alves in goal? He's been great in La Liga for a few years now.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Just looking at that reminds me how fecked we are for goalkeepers. Who was the last great South American goalkeeper? Chilavert? Julio César had a very short peak.
Having followed a few of the South American leagues over the last couple of years, I have to say the absolute ineptitude of the goalkeepers across the continent is a stand-out feature.

That, the surprisingly sparsely populated stadiums and the excessive dribbling.

Stereotype hat-trick ftw!

antohan

Why are Brazil still not playing Diego Alves in goal? He's been great in La Liga for a few years now.
Brazilians love a rubbish keeper.

Not sure what it is, maybe it's a psychological trick so players don't get overconfident ("Remember! Our goalie can lose it for us in no time!").

antohan

Having followed a few of the South American leagues over the last couple of years, I have to say the absolute ineptitude of the goalkeepers across the continent is a stand-out feature.

That, the surprisingly sparsely populated stadiums and the excessive dribbling.

Stereotype hat-trick ftw!
In a nutshell, yes. It doesn't help that we have a tendency to go with experience over ability, we have seen some outstanding keepers in our Youth teams but they never make it at their clubs because rubbish experienced ones somehow hold on to their spots. Right now, the two reserve keepers at Peñarol are being sought after by European teams while the starting keeper is a fecking calamity. Bizarre.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Really don't know why that is. This is the first Argentina generation in a long time that you can say is genuinely more gifted than their brazilian counterparts, yet when they play them they play like the inferior side from a talent perspective. IMO its a simple case of not utilising what you have to its fullest. After they got beat by germany in 2010 they seemed to go into a shell and preferred pragmatic football instead of the flashy, more attack based stuff that they should be using. Give this side to an offensive genius of Tele Santana's ilk then you'd see some of the best football we've ever witnessed.
They were runnners-up at the last World Cup, they're better than Brazil.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
@Samid any chance of a sweepstake just for fun? Two posters for every team, maybe as there's only 12 teams.

Sweepstake begins

Samid

Welcome to the Copa America 2015 sweepstake. Copy and paste the list and put yourself next to a number and I'll draw them using a random generator.

12. Samid

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
12. Samid
19. Red Devil 26

Hojoon

Suffered an ACL tear against Real Betis a few weeks ago. Probably out for the rest of the year.