Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I'm a bit too old to rant, but thank you. Plus, whilst a Liverpool fan for over 40 years, i'm from Grimsby originally - we tend to be a little more stoic over there

I remain pretty confident that the season will conclude successfully. England's covid-19 experience was massively harder than we had in Australia, but we were still impacted here. Now, however, with low new infection rates, our sport is coming back. It even looks like the Aussie Rules will be permitted to have small crowds. I understand the situation is different here, but it is further evidence that the world can, and will, come out of lockdown. Even in Manchester.

As I write this I'm watching the Premier League Daily show and it is exciting to hear the host and Alan Curbishley and some other bloke (Steve Sidwell apparently) discussing the return of football.

I don't accept that the remainig games will be so far removed from what went before as to invalidate the season. Extra subs and behind closed doors really isn't a complete rewriting of the rules as some have implied. Nor are extended contracts and sponsorship deals. What we hopefully will have is a thrilling, if unusual, end to the season.

Obviously I want the title won but the chase for Europe and the battle to avoid the drop looks really tasty. The stakes are just as high as they were a few months ago, so the talk of dead rubbers and meaningless games shouldn't be any worse than the usual run-in to the season's end.

Having our NRL back hére has been good. It has thrown up some interesting results and it wouldn't surprise me if the EPL doesn't experience the same. I'm genuinely looking forward to it (bit bored of watching the constant rerunning of the goals from Watford-Liverpool on this show though) and I hope that those on here who seem genuinely apathetic to the return of football rediscover their love of the game quickly. I'm pretty sure that if your lot get a couple of early results and start looking seriously at a top 4 finish, then interest will be rekindled. Obviously that's not what I actually want (), but, still.
Cheers - 40+ years United too and from a smallish town so similar (but different) views perhaps.

CV19 has made me look at stuff differently but while I'm not hugely missing football at this minute, I'm sure that buzz will kick in quickly (I'm probably experiencing a similar situation to the Summer close season we have usually). I've watched a lot of old games on the app which were fun to watch (77 cup final was on recently) but not the same as the real thing.

Re league, I've posted before that Liverpool deserve the title but I won't lie, I would've laughed if it hadn't been awarded.... I guess 20+ years of rivalry/stick growing up does that to you.

Hoping the remaining games are decent, we get top.4 (and can kick on next season and give some genuine opposition) and Villa stay up .... or wife will blame me.

Hope enjoying Aus, I should've gone years ago.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Liverpool cleared to play home games at Anfield.

Can't wait for them to be given special dispensation to let fans in to watch the trophy celebration.

montpelier

Can't wait for them to be given special dispensation to let fans in to watch the trophy celebration.
The Spirit of Shankly group will promise that 2m social distancing will be observed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

The whole stadium full of socially distanced Liverpool fans for their home games, no doubt.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I strongly disagree with this statement. I hold up my own national team as a great example of this - we are at best a below average ability international side but at home with the incredible atmosphere we generate as fans we are also one of the toughest sides to beat at home in Europe. A huge part of that is down to the connection the players have to the fans and they raise their game. If you lose that connection and atmosphere then we are nowhere near the same team.
Statistical evidence very much supports what you suggest here. Playing at home is - statistically - a significant advantage.

Not least for national teams, one could add.

That said, how much a particular crowd of supporters will actually influence the performance of their own team is a matter of pure conjecture, really: in other words, it seems far-fetched to claim that playing behind closed doors would negatively impact Team X more than Team Y.

Every set of fans think they're the greatest around, that's a given.

The - and again, it's absolutely a real thing - home advantage is most likely down to the mentality of the visitors: a draw is usually considered a decent result away from home, and you play accordingly.

I don't know if anyone has done a study on it, but it would be very interesting to see the stats pertaining to the following scenario(s): the visitors have to win (to win the title, or to stay in the race, or to escape relegation, or to progress in a knock-out competition, etc.). I suspect those numbers will be somewhat different.

TheRedHearted

Can’t wait for Klopps press conference about COVID and how unfair COVID was and that be the reason for Liverpool losing any of the remainder of games

PoTMS

One legged ties. We really should winning the Europa League. And by that stage, we'll already know whether we have made top 4 or not. 3 cup finals to ensure Champions League football next season.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool

One legged ties. We really should winning the Europa League. And by that stage, we'll already know whether we have made top 4 or not. 3 cup finals to ensure Champions League football next season.
One legged ties now? No integrity left in that competition. Any team that wins it will have a huge asterisk against their name etc.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
:lol:

The game has literally stayed exactly the same, unless you consider more subs and no fans the heart and soul of "football as we knew it".
Inconsistency reigns in certain comments.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
One legged ties now? No integrity left in that competition. Any team that wins it will have a huge asterisk against their name etc.
One legged ties against the very best teams in Europe has a lot more integrity than Belfast Crusaders and Oulun Palloseura in the last 16, Transzonspor in the 1/4 final and Dynamo Bucharest in the semi final.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
One legged ties against the very best teams in Europe has a lot more integrity than Belfast Crusaders and Oulun Palloseura in the last 16, Transzonspor in the 1/4 final and Dynamo Bucharest in the semi final.
Relax mate, you don't have to face them yourselves :)

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Crusaders were a great team then, we were lucky to get past them.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
2 minutes and already a chomp from the scouse bots on here. Asterisk Champions of England 2020.
It was a lighthearted comment based on many of the comments on here in recent weeks/months.

If United win the FA Cup and The Europa League you could do the asterisk double? **

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It was a lighthearted comment based on many of the comments on here in recent weeks/months.

If United win the FA Cup and The Europa League you could do the asterisk double? **
You forgot the * if you get to CL via Citys ban.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
Hahaha. At least be consistent fella. I asked more or less the same question less than a week ago and you said no as the rules would be the same from the start of the season.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I don't wanna sound or come across as defensively, I'm not acting on behalf of the PL or defending Liverpool in here or anything. I think I'm just very tired (and should better just avoid this thread) about the black and white views that quite a few posters hold about the return of football. The "but this", "but that", "this is not fair" arguments are repetitive and tiresome to argue against because it will never be good for some people. Every solution would've had its flaws, and I'm in no way saying that this is the perfect one but what's the point of still going on and on about integrity, fairness and stuff?

If you think it's a massive change to football, then I'll disagree with that though. I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Bayern is still dominating and winning games, Schalke was bad before and is still bad right now, ... It makes way less of a difference than people think or argue, which is proven by a few studies already (for home advantage) if I'm not mistaken. I've also already explained why the subs rule change certainly won't be a massive change either. It will not be the reason why a team goes down or stays up, it will not be the reason why Utd does or doesn't make top 4. That's why I hold the view that the chances are "minimal", yes.

Except that it isn't. The notion that "grounds" or "fans" create a fortress is just wrong. What creates a fortress is the team playing in that home ground. Anfield was by no means considered a fortress between '10-'15, I'm not gonna look up the stats but we lost plenty of games at home. Then Klopp came around and we haven't lost at Anfield in the league in almost 3 seasons or so if I'm not mistaken. Yet we still have the same ground and the same fans. Stamford Bridge was a fortress under Mourinho and then wasn't when he was gone and replaced by a lesser manager, yet it remained Stamford Bridge. It's the team that plays in the ground that will make the difference.

The fact that you will view next season's winner as "lesser" is up to yourself, it's an opinion I can't change but I strongly disagree with that as well. The rules are the same for everyone. Whether it's Liverpool, City or United next season, to me whichever team is on top after 38 games will be deservedly champions. And that's also how I think about the relegation and top 4 battle for this year. Whoever finishes 3th or 4th will have earned it on the pitch.
The question I would ask. If the unthinkable happens and Liverpool lost all their remaining games and City won the league, would Liverpool fans blame the rules and the lack of fans and the break? Of course they would. If the league was closer and Liverpool lost it, again the fans would look to this situation to make excuses.

The fact that Liverpool are waiting to be anointed allows Liverpool fans to be phlegmatic in their public personas. The truth, in my opinion, is far from that.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The question I would ask. If the unthinkable happens and Liverpool lost all their remaining games and City won the league, would Liverpool fans blame the rules and the lack of fans and the break?
No.

fps

The question I would ask. If the unthinkable happens and Liverpool lost all their remaining games and City won the league, would Liverpool fans blame the rules and the lack of fans and the break? Of course they would. If the league was closer and Liverpool lost it, again the fans would look to this situation to make excuses.
Liverpool don’t even need the last nine games to prove they’ve been the best team this year. They will obviously win the league with no issues. Fans of all clubs are unbearable when their team wins something, especially after a long wait and being goaded by other sets of fans, it is a given.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You might think so. If we lose all of our remaining games, we have no one but ourselves to blame. All the excuses that are already being made are pathetic to me. If Utd doesn't get top 4 this season it won't be because you had to play some games behind closed doors but because you started the season atrociously when there were still fans in the grounds. If Norwich gets relegated they didn't do enough before and after the break, and it won't be because Carrow Road was empty for four or five games. If the title race was close and we narrowly lost out to City, there would undoubtedly be Liverpool fans who'd argue that we would've won it in "regular circumstances" or blame the break, whatever. Where does that get you? Nowhere, and it's just diverting from the fact that you didn't do enough on the pitch to win it, simple as.

It's remarkable that I'm only seeing this complaints regarding football. All NBA teams have lost their home-court advantage yet almost all fans are just happy that it's being brought back.

montpelier

You might think so. If we lose all of our remaining games, we have no one but ourselves to blame. All the excuses that are already being made are pathetic to me. If Utd doesn't get top 4 this season it won't be because you had to play some games behind closed doors but because you started the season atrociously when there were still fans in the grounds. If Norwich gets relegated they didn't do enough before and after the break, and it won't be because Carrow Road was empty for four or five games. If the title race was close and we narrowly lost out to City, there would undoubtedly be Liverpool fans who'd argue that we would've won it in "regular circumstances" or blame the break, whatever. Where does that get you? Nowhere, and it's just diverting from the fact that you didn't do enough on the pitch to win it, simple as.

It's remarkable that I'm only seeing this complaints regarding football. All NBA teams have lost their home-court advantage yet almost all fans are just happy that it's being brought back.
Oh well, if the NBA are doing it.

What if the 9 games, or let's say the 4 or 5 home games are not of equal difficulty per team - if you see what I mean.

Relegation by a point is going to be hard to swallow.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Oh well, if the NBA are doing it.

What if the 9 games, or let's say the 4 or 5 home games are not of equal difficulty per team - if you see what I mean.

Relegation by a point is going to be hard to swallow.
That's not a "what if" scenario, it's almost 100% sure that the last few home games are not of equal difficulty. But I'd guess that most teams have some good teams and some bad teams left. A relegation threatened team with a hard schedule right now would also have had trouble to survive with a hard schedule under normal circumstances.

Relegation is always hard to swallow. No one wanted these circumstances, yet if "strength of remaining schedule" is the biggest issue, that further proves my point from yesterday which I've argued ad nauseam by now, that the impact is minor.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
And if your team was in the exact same league position as Liverpool and 25 points clear, you wouldn't a) want the league to be null and voided. b) question the integrity of the sport. And don't deny either point either otherwise you are a complete and utter liar and only deceiving yourself.

montpelier

That's not a "what if" scenario, it's almost 100% sure that the last few home games are not of equal difficulty. But I'd guess that most teams have some good teams and some bad teams left. A relegation threatened team with a hard schedule right now would also have had trouble to survive with a hard schedule under normal circumstances.

Relegation is always hard to swallow. No one wanted these circumstances, yet if "strength of remaining schedule" is the biggest issue, that further proves my point from yesterday which I've argued ad nauseam by now, that the impact is minor.
I'm not arguing super-passionately here, because I don't know. But it's likely that something or other in all this will cause a 3pt swing somewhere or other.

I am inclined to say too, that having voted for it, they'll have to like it or lump it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

At the end of the season those 'easy' matches sometimes become some of the most difficult as teams at the bottom are fighting for their lives and mid-table teams have little to play for so it becomes much more unpredictable anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hahaha. At least be consistent fella. I asked more or less the same question less than a week ago and you said no as the rules would be the same from the start of the season.
You need to learn to read as the example I replied to said exactly the opposite and that the rules would change from no fans at the start to fans later on.

Come on fella. Open your eyes.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
And if your team was in the exact same league position as Liverpool and 25 points clear, you wouldn't a) want the league to be null and voided. b) question the integrity of the sport. And don't deny either point either otherwise you are a complete and utter liar and only deceiving yourself.
What's that got to do with what I quoted ? :rolleyes:

I called bollocks on robin for saying you lot wouldn't blame the changes on losing said 25 point lead which (unfortunately) knowing you lot you quite clearly would.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What's that got to do with what I quoted ? :rolleyes:

I called bollocks on robin for saying you lot wouldn't blame the changes on losing said 25 point lead which (unfortunately) knowing you lot you quite clearly would.
You have no clue about what I would or wouldn't do. I said I wouldn't blame anything or anyone but ourselves and if you don't believe me, by all means go ahead.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You have no clue about what I would or wouldn't do. I said I wouldn't blame anything or anyone but ourselves and if you don't believe me, by all means go ahead.
The sooner it comes - the better! :D

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How would you feel about getting relegated off the back of this 9 game farce?
Stil though, considering the same can be said to other teams, you're still bottom.

Letting bottom team got away with being 20th for 29 games isn't fair as well.

Truth is, nothing is fair. We just need to take one arbitrary cut point and just decide on it. BCD, One Leg, Two leg, etc is not fair eitherway.