Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What is two weeks going to stop? I'm not complaining that they cancelled the matches but to do it and reschedule in two weeks seems pointless. The virus is still going to be a threat, if not more in two weeks. I suspect they will evaluate again and cancel or ban fans from attending matches.
It will be two weeks initially but they are clearly leaving themselves the option to extend that.

ManUArfa

Isn't the coronavirus isolation centre on Merseyside somewhere?

I think Public Health England has set it up there in the hope that LFC's toxicity will completely erradicate the virus...

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I think it's the only reasonable thing to do for public safety. It would be such a shame for Liverpool not to win the league though. :wenger::wenger::wenger:

stevoc

What are they going to do with CL spots for next season if they stop the league?
Look up who finished in the CL spots last season and there’s your answer.

If the league is cancelled it’s then null and void.

SinNombre

Ran out of my quota for posts for the day

its just that I'm having a debate at the moment with my mother in law, who believes its all overhyped. trying to convince her that its not, she likes to stick her head in the sand for many things
She will be right in that 3-4 years from now, when we have herd immunity as a species, it will be like influenza.

How many people get infected, critically so and needing intensive care with fewer beds and expensive or barebones healthcare systems like in the US and UK, is what should scare her, especially given that the mortality rates are 20% for ages > 80 or 10% for ages > 60 with comorbidities.

Covid-19 is more contagious and lethal than H1N1 which killed 600 thousand people globally (including 12k in the US) but not as good at killing like SARS-1 which is what makes it scary since people can spread it without being symptomatic or showing mild symptoms. H1N1 was also easier to develop a vaccine against (took 5 months) and we are still at least a year away for Covid-19.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Imagine Liverpool's parade through their empty, rat infested city. That would be lovely.

DVG7

I think the best and fairest thing for all parties is to immediately cancel the league, and take every teams most recent result in the league and apply that to each remaining game, since it’s a strong indicator of form.

Swiss League has been suspended so it could definitely happen in England, though you'd think the Premier League would keep playing through the apocalypse to keep their greedy pockets stuffed full.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Swiss League has been suspended so it could definitely happen in England, though you'd think the Premier League would keep playing through the apocalypse to keep their greedy pockets stuffed full.
In the ever increasingly likely event of major disruption the biggest problem will be getting a resolution which all clubs would support. Clubs in with a chance of CL qualification or avoiding relegation won’t support a curtailed season which freezes current positions. The money at stake is just too much. That’s before you even consider the lower leagues.

Amerifan

Cancelling the season has apparently been discussed between government and Premier League officials. So it's not a total impossibly. :D At this stage though, it seems unlikely and they may just play in empty stadiums.
If no one sees them win it did it really happen?

Judas

Open to offers
We should just have a big day where all the teams play their remaining games at the same ground but its just penalty shootouts to decide each game result :drool:

pacifictheme

In the ever increasingly likely event of major disruption the biggest problem will be getting a resolution which all clubs would support. Clubs in with a chance of CL qualification or avoiding relegation won’t support a curtailed season which freezes current positions. The money at stake is just too much. That’s before you even consider the lower leagues.
In a pandemic situation those are pretty fecking minor issues

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I see Kloppy was getting is knickers in a twist over this:

Asked if he had a message for any paranoid Liverpool fans, Klopp said: ‘I don’t think that our fans are paranoid, I think people who are not interested are bringing up these stories. ‘I can’t believe that Liverpool fans are thinking about it, and I actually speak to Liverpool fans.

‘If anybody wants to ask me about that, and how much sense it would make to delete all the results of this season and tell me who will play next year Champions League and stuff like this. Would be really interesting. ‘Nice story, always obviously some newspapers they always have to write something.

‘But when I saw it first time I really thought, “Wow! Really somebody thinks something like that?” But Liverpool fans are not silly enough to believe in these things.’
:D

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/02/jurgen-klopp-coronavirus-stop-liverpool-winning-title-12333648/

stevoc

Why would current league positions be frozen? For what purpose?

Paul_Scholes18

We will see if attendence is stopped in England too. Euros might be under threat at least for attending the games.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Why would current league positions be frozen? For what purpose?
My guess would be to prevent a total cancellation. There is no simple solution which won’t see some clubs very angry and others happy. For example a cancellation could mean Norwich etc staying in the prem and WBA in the championship. Also who would play in next seasons CL - the teams who qualified last year? Lots of clubs would be rightly pissed off. Just seen on sky news peak in the UK could be in about two months time. If that is correct perhaps the season can run till the end albeit possibly with empty stadiums.

fps

Just play it without fans then
Given they aren’t that important any more with all that tv money, I reckon the clubs would be up for this. Fans at stadia only really exist to provide atmosphere for telly watchers, they’re the Greek chorus of the piece.

USREDEVIL

It's only right that the English United fans help to spread the virus in England so as to hopefully end the season. It's the very least you can do. No handwashing, shake hands with everyone, sneezing as openly as possible, and of course, share foods and beverages. Do it for United Englishmen/women!

stevoc

My guess would be to prevent a total cancellation. There is no simple solution which won’t see some clubs very angry and others happy. For example a cancellation could mean Norwich etc staying in the prem and WBA in the championship. Also who would play in next seasons CL - the teams who qualified last year? Lots of clubs would be rightly pissed off. Just seen on sky news peak in the UK could be in about two months time. If that is correct perhaps the season can run till the end albeit possibly with empty stadiums.
I don't think it will actually get bad enough for the season to be suspended/cancelled, hopefully it doesn't anyway.

But if in the unlikely event it does then i can't see any scenario where the entire season doesn't become null and void if the remaining fixtures can't be fulfilled. Its just wouldn't be fair on the teams in the relegation spots and the teams just outside CL/European places.

ROFLUTION

What if say a Liverpool player got the Virus? Would that put the whole squad in 14 days of quarantine? What would happen to their games?

Not unlikely that a player will get the flu. England's now officially in highest possible alert situation.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What if say a Liverpool player got the Virus? Would that put the whole squad in 14 days of quarantine? What would happen to their games?

Not unlikely that a player will get the flu. England's now officially in highest possible alert situation.
Don't say that.

I get nervous commuting to and from work.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
A worrying scenario for any team would be one player being diagnosed. With a 2 week incubation period surely that would mean that team couldn’t play for at least two weeks. And any team they had recently played would also be at risk. Mind boggling the number of potential issues from just a single diagnosis.
Spurs might be the team to watch in that case as I think Son is in self exclusion due to some reason having his arm operation in South Korea last week.