Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Okey

Well, the weather will perhaps have the biggest role here. The sooner it warms up, the quicker the virus plateaus and starts to tail off. Almost all the cases so far in the UK have travel links, and no evidence they've been super spreaders. Even with the initial super spreader in Brighton, his whole chain is clean now. So in summary, I don't think it'll get to a cancellation of the league. Empty stadiums or a short suspension at the worst. I doubt most of the emergency measures announced by the government today will actually be needed, but of course it's best to be fully prepared.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Should we only wait until it gets so bad? Cancelling all football now is the best thing to do.

We wouldn’t be in this mess if travel restrictions from China were enforced on day 1.

:)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Has anyone made a joke about City's gate receipts remaining the same if teams are forced to play behind closed doors yet?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Can't see any cancellation at this stage. If anything I can see the premier league following Italy's lead and just playing without a crowd. Would be weird to watch the game on tv with no crowd though.

Saying that if a lot of the players catch it, then I can see games having to be cancelled. As players and squads would have to quarantine themselves.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Well, the weather will perhaps have the biggest role here. The sooner it warms up, the quicker the virus plateaus and starts to tail off.
We live in South East Asia and haven't worried about it yet as I also presumed heat would be a factor and here its over 30 degrees everyday, but it seems that isn't the case. Thailand and Malaysia now have proper outbreaks and there is a fast growing one in Algeria. Bahrain and Kuwait are also recording over 50 cases each. I don't think the warm weather will make this go away, even though Trump said it would!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't mind if this season is cancelled and it is declared null. The 4 CL places would then be given according to how many EPL titles the club has won throughout history

Okey

We live in South East Asia and haven't worried about it yet as I also presumed heat would be a factor and here its over 30 degrees everyday, but it seems that isn't the case. Thailand and Malaysia now have proper outbreaks and there is a fast growing one in Algeria. Bahrain and Kuwait are also recording over 50 cases each. I don't think the warm weather will make this go away, even though Trump said it would!
It's not really Trump. He was only repeating what experts said based om what we know of previous similar corona viruses. Yeah the outbreaks in warmer climes suggest this one may be different but it's not just about the ambient temperature. It's more about respiratory illnesses generally reducing when the weather warms up. It's still officially hoped there's a dip post winter - see the UK's 'delay phase' of combating the virus.

Bestietom

If it gets bad enough Yes, it could be cancelled. But maybe the euro's are in most danger now.

SER19

Seeing Liverpool win it in front of an empty anfield, would be too funny to cope with

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Probably going to cancel the season with no winner at this rate. :( What are the odds of that happening so I can put money on and at least win one way or the other? I mainly ask Utd fans as they have experience in this form of betting. :p

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I imagine it won't be necessary to have stadium closures for fans until at least the beginning of April, at which point teams will have 7-8 games left each. I could well see the season being played out behind closed doors. The PL is far too dependent upon TV revenue than it is ticket sales, so this could be palatable. Ditto the CL and EL. Because we are so far through the season, I think they will find a way to get it completed, especially if the Euros are postponed and league games could drag on for a few more weeks if necessary. If we were only 20 games in, I might be a bit worried if I were Liverpool, but not now. The Scousers will be unlikely to get a street parade approved in the short term though!

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Euros postponed to 2021. The format of the competition actually makes that decision much easier. All of the travelling increases the risk factors and all the host sites allow the competition to be rearranged in a more modular fashion, with some hosts changing if necessary.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I imagine it won't be necessary to have stadium closures for fans until at least the beginning of April, at which point teams will have 7-8 games left each. I could well see the season being played out behind closed doors. The PL is far too dependent upon TV revenue than it is ticket sales, so this could be palatable. Ditto the CL and EL.
This could put some lower league clubs out of business, they are massively dependent on gate receipts and match day revenue. I imagine some Serie B clubs and Serie C are panicking right now now all matches have to be behind closed doors in Italy until April.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This could put some lower league clubs out of business, they are massively dependent on gate receipts and match day revenue. I imagine some Serie B clubs and Serie C are panicking right now now all matches have to be behind closed doors in Italy until April.
Yeah, for lower league clubs the situation is different, but also the risk factor is different. Smaller attendances and people generally living locally, rather than nationally or internationally.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Liverpool get a tainted win and Man City won the last few by cheating :drool::drool:
The last legit wins were by Chelsea (still dodgy) and Leicester and then us.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Yeah, for lower league clubs the situation is different, but also the risk factor is different. Smaller attendances and people generally living locally, rather than nationally or internationally.
It’s still thousands of people travelling up and down the country every Saturday. In Italy all sporting events have to be behind closed doors, if they do that here I guarantee some clubs will go bust. :(

Ludens the Red

I think the best and fairest thing for all parties is to immediately cancel the league, and take every teams most recent result in the league and apply that to each remaining game, since it’s a strong indicator of form.
:lol:

peridigm

Liverpool get a tainted win and Man City won the last few by cheating :drool::drool:
The last legit wins were by Chelsea (still dodgy) and Leicester and then us.
plot twist

<insert evil looking Ed Woodward pick here>

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Chances of players and whole squads getting it, which kills the season are rising. Main problem is virus doesn't show symptoms a lot of the time so is spread unwittingly. Unless all players are entirely isolated from the rest of society for the rest of the season doesn't look good.

They have to interact with their families, wives, kids, dogs etc so don't see how it can be avoided if it spreads across the population like flu.

My thoughts are it's probably not that much more serious than flu, hoping that anyway.

Infra-red

My thoughts are it's probably not that much more serious than flu, hoping that anyway.
Unfortunately, it appears to be around 34 times more serious than flu, according to the latest mortality rate statistics (3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have already died, compared to a 0.1% mortality rate for seasonal flu).

peridigm

Seeing Liverpool win it in front of an empty anfield, would be too funny to cope with
It’ll be like that time Saurez ran to the corner flag to celebrate his goal only to turn around and find no one was there.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I don't mind if this season is cancelled and it is declared null. The 4 CL places would then be given according to how many EPL titles the club has won throughout history
This is the most sensible way to go.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Playing fixtures behind closed doors is the main contingency plan being considered by the Premier League, should the spread of coronavirus necessitate it, although at present matches will go ahead as planned.

"After discussion with the Government's crisis planners, the main focus for our contingency planning is consideration of a 'behind closed doors' policy," the email says.

The guidance also notes that the Government has laid out three different categories of contingency plans and could intervene if the situation changes.

While the Premier League is currently in Category A, described as "as you are", it says that Category B would be "behind closed doors" and then Category C is "cancellation, curtailment or postponement".

If the guidance were to change, clubs would meet for a shareholders' meeting.

The Premier League said it is in regular contact with Government officials responsible for policy for crowded places, and will be working closely with club doctors as they look to share "best practice".

The main advice to clubs is that increased care needs to be taken with hygiene and steps must be taken to limit access to stadiums and training grounds.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51747062

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
As funny as Liverpool winning the title in front of nobody it would actually suck to watch games with no fans. When England played Croatia in an empty ground it was shite. The noise from the fans works in the same way a score does for a film, it brings an emotional undertone to the match.

Furthermore, the FA wouldn't even suspend the 3pm rule so we won't even be able to watch those matches.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
As funny as Liverpool winning the title in front of nobody it would actually suck to watch games with no fans. When England played Croatia in an empty ground it was shite. The noise from the fans works in the same way a score does for a film, it brings an emotional undertone to the match.

Furthermore, the FA wouldn't even suspend the 3pm rule so we won't even be able to watch those matches.
I agree, but then, the trophy presentation ..... :D

FlapR

Should play games behind closed doors. Liverpool winning the league in an empty stadium would be a RAWK goldmine.

Wouldn't surprise me if some went the whole FA conspiracy and bias route.

Rafaeldagold

Unfortunately, it appears to be around 34 times more serious than flu, according to the latest mortality rate statistics (3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have already died, compared to a 0.1% mortality rate for seasonal flu).
That’s quite a lot different to the 2% I thought it was. Must have risen.

However then the question is how many of these cases would have died anyway with just the flu?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Holmenkollrennet (google it!) in Oslo this weekend will go ahead without any audience.

Crustanoid

How are Liverpool going to do their street parade if large events get banned?

Judas

Open to offers
I'd fancy our chances of top 4 if we have to play matches behind closed doors. Think we're suckers for getting spooked by atmospheric grounds of the smaller teams who get enhanced by their fans, so it might just play into our hands and let what quality we have shine. Or I'm talking total shite!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'd fancy our chances of top 4 if we have to play matches behind closed doors. Think we're suckers for getting spooked by atmospheric grounds of the smaller teams who get enhanced by their fans, so it might just play into our hands and let what quality we have shine. Or I'm talking total shite!
The crowd wouldn't be able to influence referees.