Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I can't see them giving it to them, it would set a strange precedent and open up a can of worms with what to do with the rest of the league standings

when i started this thread i thought there was a 1 in 1000 chance Liverpool wouldn't get a title because of this

now it's honestly looking like the most likely outcome, which is insane
I know it’s lovely :D
The guy from the FA said it was likely didn’t he?

UnitedChampionsAgain

Let them decide the title over a game of blow football.
I've heard Klopp is very good at blowing....or was that Gerrard?

TheReligion

Abusive
Surprised to see FOUR journalists putting their name to this single story. Don't think I've seen that before. In a credible newspaper too.
You're so sensationalist :lol:

If you seriously think everyone's going to agree to just give you a title you haven't won without getting anything out of it themselves you're mad.

AFC NimbleThumb

I can't see them giving it to them, it would set a strange precedent and open up a can of worms with what to do with the rest of the league standings

when i started this thread i thought there was a 1 in 1000 chance Liverpool wouldn't get a title because of this

now it's honestly looking like the most likely outcome, which is insane
I’ve not been following this closely enough but surely this can’t be the case.

Take away the mathematical impossibility that Citeh can catch Pool in one game but how can Pool have a 29 game season whilst multiple others [Citeh included] had 28 games?

There’s no doubt if the season is allowed to play out they’ll win the league but you can’t suddenly rule the season a 29/28 game one and award them the title.

The real argument comes when you look at Villa. All the teams around them have played 29 games whilst they’ve played 28; if the season ends today they’d be relegated but if they won the ‘game in hand’ Watford go down.

If there’s no relegation there can not be a title winner.

Hawks2008

If you give Liverpool the title then you have to give European places and relegate sides as they stand which is hardly fair.

If they cancel the league it simply has to voided completely instead of awarding a winner. Although, since they haven't actually won they would always be paper champs.

Scriblerus

The rules of the Premier League state that positions are decided at the end of a season, and that in a season each team plays all the others twice. There is a contingency for the FA to extend a season beyond 1 June at its discretion in extraordinary circumstances. There is no contingency stated for a season to be deemed to be completed before all the required matches are played. I can't see any way that final positions can be allocated before 38 matches each, under the rules that all the teams signed up to - and the lawyers of affected clubs would surely tear them to shreds if they tried to rewrite their own rules.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not averse to this idea (in the Telegraph) that every team in PL would retain their place, top two from the Championship promoted for a 22 team league next season with 5 relegated. As well as expanding the qualifiers for the CL to include more teams who are currently in a bit of a grey area, such as ourselves.

The least bad idea I've heard so far.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The rules of the Premier League state that positions are decided at the end of a season, and that in a season each team plays all the others twice. There is a contingency for the FA to extend a season beyond 1 June at its discretion in extraordinary circumstances. There is no contingency stated for a season to be deemed to be completed before all the required matches are played. I can't see any way that final positions can be allocated before 38 matches each, under the rules that all the teams signed up to - and the lawyers of affected clubs would surely tear them to shreds if they tried to rewrite their own rules.
I reckon theyll end up just playing it behind closed doors with whoever is fit, to get the title over the line and everyone else to fight for themselves.
The season is tainted unless they finish it properly which I doubt it will be.

0le

I'm not averse to this idea (in the Telegraph) that every team in PL would retain their place, top two from the Championship promoted for a 22 team league next season with 5 relegated. As well as expanding the qualifiers for the CL to include more teams who are currently in a bit of a grey area, such as ourselves.

The least bad idea I've heard so far.
I just don't agree with that either. I still think making the season void is better because most of the teams who miss out on promotions will argue the season as not complete, so it may be seen as favouring certain teams. At least with making the season void, your situation doesn't change - you remain in the same league and compete in the same cup competitions based on the previous year qualification. But yeah, its incredibly difficult to now decide what to do and admittedly there isn't any great solutions either.

Pav1878

What's wrong with the United fans in this thread suggesting we simply "give them the title cos fairness, la"

Nah.

You all need to be sent to @golden_blunder house for "reconditioning".
This. If the tables were turned, do any of you think they would want anything other than for us to not win the title!? They would be loving it!

Any United fans on here preaching about fairness need to remember which club they are speaking about. The worst, most self righteous fanbase out there. Watching them cry about losing the title under thee circumstances would be THE funniest thing ever to happen.

As much as I want it to happen, I really can't see it unfolding that way unfortunately.

I'm hoping that the PL will opt for the option that upsets fewer teams and fans ;)

spiriticon

As long as City have a chance of winning it, they should never agree to declaring Liverpool as defacto champs. I mean wtf is this? Christmas?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I just don't agree with that either. I still think making the season void is better because most of the teams who miss out on promotions will argue the season as not complete, so it may be seen as favouring certain teams. At least with making the season void, your situation doesn't change - you remain in the same league and compete in the same cup competitions based on the previous year qualification. But yeah, its incredibly difficult to now decide what to do and admittedly there isn't any great solutions either.
I think declaring a season that's been 75-80% completed - given that we are expecting a next season (not like a world war scenario, hopefully!) - is way more dramatic. Like I said, I like this idea. I'd also like any kind of play-offs for the teams battling for places/promotion/survival. And maybe scrapping both the League Cup and FA Cup next season, to accommodate this all.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
If you give Liverpool the title then you have to give European places and relegate sides as they stand which is hardly fair.

If they cancel the league it simply has to voided completely instead
of awarding a winner. Although, since they haven't actually won they would always be paper champs.
Where's the fairness for teams like Leeds and West Brom? Or Leicester? Sheffield United?

0le

I think declaring a season that's been 75-80% completed - given that we are expecting a next season (not like a world war scenario, hopefully!) - is way more dramatic. Like I said, I like this idea. I'd also like any kind of play-offs for the teams battling for places/promotion/survival. And maybe scrapping both the League Cup and FA Cup next season, to accommodate this all.
Well either way, whatever happens is going to upset a lot of people. I think one thing we can agree on is that whatever decision is to be made will be correlated with the amount of money the various organisations involved can recoup.

Fooza

Or play the remaining 9/10 games in the PL when the virus dies down.

Next season they can scrap the Energy drink cup and FA cup, no silly international qualifiers too as that's been done.

A short season of just 38 PL games and European football. With a lot more midweek Pl games.

Thoughts?

Obviously the best scenario is being void only cause the 19 la.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well either way, whatever happens is going to upset a lot of people. I think one thing we can agree on is that whatever decision is to be made will be correlated with the amount of money the various organisations involved can recoup.
Sure, that's the likeliest priority on most fronts in this world.

Grand scheme, within football, I think the priority should be saving clubs from going bust, any promotions, relegations, cups, titles, qualifications are of secondary importance. But of course, that won't be the thinking.

Roario

Just do an average of the last 9/10 games point totals and add them and you get the final table.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Or play the remaining 9/10 games in the PL when the virus dies down.

Next season they can scrap the Energy drink cup and FA cup, no silly international qualifiers too as that's been done.

A short season of just 38 PL games and European football. With a lot more midweek Pl games.

Thoughts?

Obviously the best scenario is being void only cause the 19 la.
The Premier League would have to pay the EFL and the FA a lot of money to do this. Don't forget those competitions have sold broadcasting and sponsorship packages. If they aren't played some people who paid to show or be shown in them will lawyer up. It'll be a breach of contract and it won't be cheap to settle.

Fooza

The Premier League would have to pay the EFL and the FA a lot of money to do this. Don't forget those competitions have sold broadcasting and sponsorship packages. If they aren't played some people who paid to show or be shown in them will lawyer up. It'll be a breach of contract and it won't be cheap to settle.
I guess but really someone or something has to give. Perhaps the premier league give some of their next years fortune over to the EFL and FA to compensate.

However, to get european football I guess every European country will need to be virus free or under control. Hard to see it happening.

UncleBob

Well, you can say there's an element of luck involved (injuries, the teams we've had to play and not had to play etc) but the reality would be that 29 games would have been played across the board for everyone and really, any team that moans about it should have performed better over those games. We're in great form now but if we hadn't been so crap for most of the season we'd be higher in the table. Same logic applies to the other teams. The relegated teams and the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves etc would just have to deal with it too.

....or we can just cancel the whole season.
The reality is that with the 29 games suggestion, some will have been lucky with the fixtures and some won't, it's absurd and completely unfair to everyone fighting to get top 4 or avoiding relegation. Mental idea

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Give them the title but the trophy has only one handle. Actually no, they haven’t won jack yet and you can’t just hand out titles when not won. Who gets the CL, EL and FA cup because they probably would’ve won it? Season is played to completion by every team or nothing.

FujiVice

Villa have a game in hand. If they win that, they go outside the bottom 3. If Sheffield United win their game in hand, they got 5th. Which could be enough for a Champions League place.

But yeah, finish the season and let Liverpool win the league. feck everyone else. Its madness. A massive can a worms. Its unfair on so many teams who are playing for places if it goes ahead like this. The season either has to resume or its null and void.

Witchking

I rather give the league trophy to Liverpool. This season will always be a weird season. They will never be able to celebrate this properly.

Next season every common fan will be cheering them on. Not to mention all the commentators in every game. Then if they do win the league, which they most probably will, the wankfest will be crazy to handle. Rather just give it to them this season. Let the dust settle down.

van Persie

Fact is you can't award Liverpool the title before all teams are finished playing since the season didn't finish. We play 38 games.

In that case you'd also have to relegate teams that potentially could stay up. Promote some teams that may or may not.

Teams that still play for EURO cups could get ripped. Will Champions League expand for all those teams that could've made it?This is not just about Liverpool. Tons of clubs will take a hit.

Last edited:

stepic

Seems sensible to finish the season in the summer. Reduce next season in whatever way plausible, most likely the league cup.

forevrared

Going to be an asterisk next to this title regardless of what happens from here on out, so I'm not too fussed by it. It's unlikely that all 38 games will be played, given the Euros and Olympics in the summer.

20 > 19*

zenith

Since it's looking like this is the end of the season. I reckon the table will stand as it currently does with Liverpool being declared champions.

The europa and CL could be handed to the highest seeded teams that remain. In not sure the FA cup has a seeding system.

Perhaps no relegation and top two from championship make it to the PL,

The lower league teams to follow the same system of promotion and relegation.

There is ofcourse the possibility of lawsuits but the sporting bodies can always argue that this is an unprecedented situation and they have discretionary power.