Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Castia

Since it's looking like this is the end of the season. I reckon the table will stand as it currently does with Liverpool being declared champions.

The europa and CL could be handed to the highest seeded teams that remain. In not sure the FA cup has a seeding system.

Perhaps no relegation and top two from championship make it to the PL,

The lower league teams to follow the same system of promotion and relegation.

There is ofcourse the possibility of lawsuits but the sporting bodies can always argue that this is an unprecedented situation and they have discretionary power.

They’ll have to play the last 10 games If it’s in April, May or next January. The only way those games don’t get played is if the league is void and we start fresh.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I don’t even think Pl clubs expect to be back in April. The hope I think would be Euros gets pushed back and then hopefully come May clubs are at least in a position to be able to play behind closed doors. As much as cancelling the season would be hilarious in some ways, I think logistically it would be a nightmare (and financially - aren’t the PL and CL likely to be sued or left unpaid if they don’t fulfill broadcasting requirements?)

I suppose we’ll know more when UEFA make their decision on Tuesday. If they cancel the CL then I think that is a sign of things to come, whereby if they suspend you’d expect them to have hope the season will be allowed to finish at some point.

Either way this whole thing is a mess. We’re all on this forum because of a collective love of the game so hopefully they find a solution that satisfies all and allows us to get back to some form of normality.

lysglimt

Scout
If the tables were turned, RAWK would be having a field day right now as would the Liverpool-led media.

If that's not enough, just picture the endless stream of hilarious memes that will come from this.
I am not saying they wouldn't - but it still wouldn't be right. I am just saying in my opinion - Liverpool deserve to win as much as I hate to admit it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t even think Pl clubs expect to be back in April. The hope I think would be Euros gets pushed back and then hopefully come May clubs are at least in a position to be able to play behind closed doors. As much as cancelling the season would be hilarious in some ways, I think logistically it would be a nightmare (and financially - aren’t the PL and CL likely to be sued or left unpaid if they don’t fulfill broadcasting requirements?)

I suppose we’ll know more when UEFA make their decision on Tuesday. If they cancel the CL then I think that is a sign of things to come, whereby if they suspend you’d expect them to have hope the season will be allowed to finish at some point.

Either way this whole thing is a mess. We’re all on this forum because of a collective love of the game so hopefully they find a solution that satisfies all and allows us to get back to some form of normality.
I think April is an impossibility too. Even without it getting worse, entire clubs are having to self quarantine. It’s feasible that there will be no training taking place for the next fortnight at a minimum so match fitness of entire clubs will be out the window.

Since it's looking like this is the end of the season. I reckon the table will stand as it currently does with Liverpool being declared champions.

The europa and CL could be handed to the highest seeded teams that remain. In not sure the FA cup has a seeding system.

Perhaps no relegation and top two from championship make it to the PL,

The lower league teams to follow the same system of promotion and relegation.

There is ofcourse the possibility of lawsuits but the sporting bodies can always argue that this is an unprecedented situation and they have discretionary power.
None of us know what will happen of course, but we all should know with 100% certainty that the above will not happen.

You can't just say "the table stands" as it is. They either push to finish the season in the Summer, else they void the season.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
If Liverpool want support from the other clubs to push through a positive season-ending scenario for them, i.e. awarding them the title, they need to stump up a lot of cash. Bribery and payments need to be the order of the day. £10-15m for each club they manage to get onside. Let’s see how desperate they are to be officially declared champions. :D

Red00012

Going to be an asterisk next to this title regardless of what happens from here on out, so I'm not too fussed by it. It's unlikely that all 38 games will be played, given the Euros and Olympics in the summer.

20 > 19*
There is no chance the Euro’s will be played in the summer.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This. Simply cancelling the season isn't financially viable. We will soon start seeing tweets suggesting consideration from the FA that the season will played out on an accelerated calendar through July, august if need be. Capitalism has creative ways of recouping its investments

Owners across all sports are pressuring their commissioners to suspend not cancel because they refuse to take the financial hit
Not really. Sure I agree the premier League will probably be finished in the summer (if possible). But playing in the summer has come at the expense of the euros. And moving the euros comes at the expense of the new World Club Cup.

Look at the markets. They've plummeted because they cant solve this

Tango80

It's a bit of a mess at the minute. Yes you could give the trophy to Liverpool, but you can't relegate the bottom three, then you've got other factors like the CL places. You could have playoffs to decide those but who would be included? What happens with EFL games? If they just declared the top team as champions there would be outrage.

That's before you get to the cups. What happens with City, Real, PSG, United and so on? I really don't know how to call this. You could postpone the euros till next summer and use the summer to finish the league /Cup games instead.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

It's a bit of a mess at the minute. Yes you could give the trophy to Liverpool, but you can't relegate the bottom three, then you've got other factors like the CL places. You could have playoffs to decide those but who would be included? What happens with EFL games?

That's before you get to the cups. What happens with City, Real, PSG, United and so on? I really don't know how to call this. You could postpone the euros till next summer and use the summer to finish the league /Cup games instead
This. Was chatting to my mate who supports the dippers in work yesterday, even he sort of agreed in the end.

You can’t decide one without the others, if Liverpool are given the title then CL, EL, relegation places all have to be decided and ultimately I don’t see how it can be done fairly.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It’s not directly comparable, but what are the regulations when games are abandoned 2/3 of the way through for a variety of reasons? (e.g. floodlight failure, weather conditions etc.) They don’t just award the three points or the tie to the team who were leading at the time of the abandonment. It’s different context, of course, but really, why should it be different?

fergosaurus

It’s not directly comparable, but what are the regulations when games are abandoned 2/3 of the way through for a variety of reasons? (e.g. floodlight failure, weather conditions etc.) They don’t just award the three points or the tie to the team who were leading at the time of the abandonment. It’s different context, of course, but really, why should it be different?
I read on RAWK someone say if a game is abandoned after 70 minutes the score at the time stands. Don't know how much truth there is in that but they're desperately hoping there's a similar rule for the league should it be abandoned.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This will be a fecking mess.
The basis of law will be challenged no matter what any contingency plan is.

The ONLY way the league can be decided,and I mean all aspects top and bottom, will be to play all of the games.

Anything else will be wrapped in legal challenge for years.

Yeah Liverpool are just on the finish line but they are not over it. CL places are up for grabs. EL too. Relegation scrap.
All divisions.

Unless the maths is categorical then this isnt going to be sorted easily. There is no way clubs will accept it. Take us for an example. We are on a great run with favourable games. Weve a good chance of winning a trophy and getting top 4.
We're not going to accept a piecemeal solution.

Saddy

I would think the cup competitions will be cancelled first - Euros is a no brainer postpone one year this frees up time in June.

Then cancel the European Champions League and Europa cups.

Play the remaining league fixtures every 3 days or even consider every 2 days but have a final date fixed - say 30th June and fit as many in as possible if some don't get played then the final positions stand and make sure every team has played the same number - all the abandoned games one point each for the 2 teams - fair as possible ?

Josh 76

There are only two solutions.

1. Finish the season, even if that means playing it in July and August.

2. Cancel season and declare it void.

No way can they end the season as it is, the PL will have law suits filed against them to make them bankrupt.

Well because that's 2 teams, who had equal amount of time 70 minutes against the same opponents.

Stopping a league and saying "it stands how it is" when teams have played less games than others, when teams have faced tougher fixture lists than others etc. becomes an unfair farce.

Nothing about the floodlight scenario is "unfair".

vidic blood & sand

To be honest I think they should let the prem continue with a greatly reduced crowd spaced out better, no one over 70 years old attending, and PPV for each game not televised.
In the end of the day, we're all taking risks going to work and to the shops etc.

Castia

To be honest I think they should let the prem continue with a greatly reduced crowd spaced out better, no one over 70 years old attending, and PPV for each game not televised.
In the end of the day, we're all taking risks going to work and to the shops etc.
I think that was going to be the plan but then Arteta, Hudson Odoi and potentially Everton and Leicester players got it they have no choice but to cancel.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think that was going to be the plan but then Arteta, Hudson Odoi and potentially Everton and Leicester players got it they have no choice but to cancel.
Given no reason why footballers any different to the rest of the population, as the virus spreads even more will be effected. Which is why it would seem zero chance of football resuming before the virus is under control. That is probably the rest of the year possibly some of next year too.

Josh 76

I would have a little respect for Klopp if sent a statement something like this;

'We should cancel the season as of now. Human life is much more important than 22 players kicking a football. There is no way we will want to be declared champions in this horrible situation. I believe in my team and this has motivated to go again next season and win all the 38 games and be proper champions".

This is what Fergie would have done.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You can't argue with maths and maths presently says that they haven't won the league - end of story.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I would have a little respect for Klopp if sent a statement something like this;

'We should cancel the season as of now. Human life is much more important than 22 players kicking a football. There is no way we will want to be declared champions in this horrible situation. I believe in my team and this has motivated to go again next season and win all the 38 games and be proper champions".

This is what Fergie would have done.
Klopp did make a very dignified statement, and he shouldn’t be saying what should and should not happen as it isn’t his decision. Coming out and saying it should be cancelled doesn’t help anyone, and there are a lot more issues than just whether or not Liverpool win the league.

Judas

Open to offers
The main reason I think Liverpool won't be given the title is because it'll mean they'll have to say the table is final thus making all the decisions about relegation and European places and that will cause hell, no one fighting for those positions will agree to that.

If they're happy to accept a "you were very very close and probably would have won the title, well done xx" trophy then fine, but they'll be mocked even more than they already are and it'll be close to meaningless.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I rather give the league trophy to Liverpool. This season will always be a weird season. They will never be able to celebrate this properly.

Next season every common fan will be cheering them on. Not to mention all the commentators in every game. Then if they do win the league, which they most probably will, the wankfest will be crazy to handle. Rather just give it to them this season. Let the dust settle down.
Nope.

AlwaysRed66

There is also the Sky/BT etc problem, whereby the PL & UEFA are paid to supply a certain amount of televised games in a season. From what I can gather, if they don't fulfil this criteria the contracts don't need to be paid. Be interesting. Sky will have enough problems with probably their own customers demanding refunds & doubt will be to be pleased if the PL doesn't play ball. I wonder if they don't fulfil the contracts, the media companies might decide to draw up less favourable new ones.

This is a nightmare situation for all concerned whether fans, football clubs or media companies, & I am glad I wont be making the decisions, as it wont end well whatever they do.

Djemba-Djemba

Liverpool are not a popular club with other fans, the idea that other teams fans will be "cheering them on" next season is laughable.

You can't just give them the title because they got close, they didn't win it!

Unless the season starts up again and they finish the job then they can't be champions, it's that simple.

AlwaysRed66

The main reason I think Liverpool won't be given the title is because it'll mean they'll have to say the table is final thus making all the decisions about relegation and European places and that will cause hell, no one fighting for those positions will agree to that.

If they're happy to accept a "you were very very close and probably would have won the title, well done xx" trophy then fine, but they'll be mocked even more than they already are and it'll be close to meaningless.
I agree totally with you. The logical & fair decision is to give Liverpool the title, & most would agree with that, but it would cause repercussions throughout football, so easiest decision is to null & void season

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I agree totally with you. The logical & fair decision is to give Liverpool the title, & most would agree with that, but it would cause repercussions throughout football, so easiest decision is to null & void season
How is it logical and fair when they haven’t met the requirements to win it?

Abizzz

No.