Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
With Rashford and Kane coming back from injury and Sterling out of form - Euros postponement could be good for England.

SirAnderson

If the scientists are to be believed, then we are only in the beginning phases of this virus and people are vastly under rating the impact it could have. No symptoms but infectious up to 28 days before showing any signs of having the virus, with it apparently going through an incubation phase of sorts from my understanding, meaning it has 28 days to lie low, jumping from person to person before anybody has an idea where its dormant before flaring up again in increased numbers. Scary times and I hope people of power pay attention. I mean truthully, we could be years away from any sort of vaccine that could fight this.

Edit. Small sample of a very intriguing interview on Joe Rogan with a investigative medical expert.
28 days? Where'd you get that?
Everything I'm reading talks about 14 day isolation etc.

TheReligion

Abusive
Wonder if Spain, Germany, Italy and France will announce league champions if season is halted? Makes sense as season is nearly 3/4 complete. Teams still waiting to do it all in the final quarter (City to win the league, Norwich to escape relegation, etc) is an unlikely scenario given how the rest of the season has panned out. Freeze the positions and move on to next season I reckon.

Will give Arsenal, Utd, Wolves, Chelsea more focus on staying in CL positions to not get frozen out when the music stops.
I think the season will be scrapped tbh so everyone will miss out. Don't know how they will decide everything but I don't think just freezing things is an option.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How can they do this without delaying the start of the next season?

Logistics are impossible. The season is likely to be suspended and if the outbreak continues made void.
I imagine it will be played when the Euro's is suppose too. Meaning pre season will start late for pretty much everyone.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I imagine it will be played when the Euro's is suppose too. Meaning pre season will start late for pretty much everyone.
What happens about the players having a holiday, do the clubs say just rest but cannot travel abroad? The Spanish players usually want to go home and see family. Is that going to be banned?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It is absolutely a short term solution and one which is very much needed. How short term I don't know. 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month I don't know. But to me it is inevitable that what Italy has done will be done in multiple countries. The thing is IMO it is better to do proactively now rather than react like Italy where it has been a bit late. At least this way there will only be mostly economic impact. Unfortunately as a physician in USA I see Italy repeating here, there will be loss of life and economic impact. Hopefully I'm completely wrong.
The thing is you can only do something like what Italy is doing for a short period of time and it has massive implications. Timing is important.

HisEarth

Supports
Tottenham Hotspurs
Stolen from RAWK:

Conspiracy to Obstruct Victory for the Insufferable Dippers 19

:lol:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I think this seasons CL has been damaged by one leg of two legged ties being played behind closed doors. If the PL were to follow suit from here on in it wouldn’t be just as bad because it’s not knockout and most teams will have similar number of home and away games. The bottom line though is there is no easy and completely fair solution to any of these problems.

Maybe if the Euros weren’t happening there might be a way to at least delay and reassess in one or two months time. Public health must come first and I can see a situation where the season is entirely cancelled.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What happens about the players having a holiday, do the clubs say just rest but cannot travel abroad? The Spanish players usually want to go home and see family. Is that going to be banned?
I imagine they will have the holiday time the players playing Euro's and World Cup do, ala at the start of when pre season is.

mav_9me

The thing is you can only do something like what Italy is doing for a short period of time and it has massive implications. Timing is important.
Yes agreed that it can only be short period. But my point is that's inevitable. Better now than later. Other countries have to learn from Italy.

Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) have so far resisted calls for more draconian measures, such as banning people from attending soccer matches, or closing schools. When few people in Britain have the virus, such moves would achieve little, they argue.

Banning people from attending sports events, where scientists regard an infectious person as unlikely to pass the disease to very many around them, could be counter-productive if people instead watch matches in pubs, where the disease is more likely to spread.
Backs ups what I've posted earlier today in here.

Source.

LordNinio

I've just finished reading Bill Bryon's "The Body" and have read as many facts regarding Covid-19 as possible. It'd not confirmed at all that it can spread by airborne droplets*, and as with other viruses, it's far more likely you get it by touching a contaminated surface, a door handle, tap, tube button, seat handrest etc. and then put your hands on your own face. This is also why "hand washing" has been the number 1 advised way to prevent it.

So when you claim sitting 1m away from someone on the tube (guessing he's never actually travelled between 7-10 and 15-19) it advised, it won't help, it wouldn't help even if the virus was airborne either.

@VintageWhatnots claiming stopping sporting events will slow the spread is just not true. It's nothing like seeing litter on the ground and thinking feck it. It's simple common sense that this virus will be spread around London this week at a rate astronomically higher than it could during a Liverpool v Athletico football match.

*WHO: Airborne spread has not been reported for COVID-19 and it is not believed to be a major driver of transmission based on available evidence.
I didn't say it wouldn't spread quicker with the tourists in London, did I?

But to say, cancelling all sports will have no effect at all, its blatantly not true.

Last edited:

DVG7

The premier league have apparently found the perfect cure, which involves everyone in the UK being placed in a self induced "sleep coma" for the next two weeks.

Starting at 7pm tonight, the emergency broadcast system will be initiated and we will only be able to watch a pre-recorded VT of James Milner and Joel Matip talking about their favourite anfield moments.

Experts are predicting the virus will be completely nullified by 7:04pm on March 25th, 2020.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Backs ups what I've posted earlier today in here.

Source.
That "they will go to the pub instead" logic is so badly flawed. There's not a hope in hell of tens of thousands of fans all trooping off to the boozer instead. Football fans aren't idiots. They'll be aware as the rest of us what a serious situation we're facing and shutting down the stadiums will bring this home. Obviously you'll get a minority who don't give a shit but I reckon there's a good chunk of match-going fans who will do the sensible thing and watch at home instead. And if thousands of people stay at home for the day, instead of getting out and mingling; running their hands up and down the same hand rails, passing tickets back and forth, being patted down by security, cheering and singing loudly (sending droplets of spittle flying everywhere) etc etc then that's a good thing.

Dante

Average bang
Euros involve a lot of international travellers, going through airports and border, so it's more risky. And can't really play those behind closed doors, like what's the point for the hosting countries then?

If we get to the point where the EPL is postponed one can only imagine it will be restarted if infection rates diminish greatly or played largely behind closed doors.
To be fair, as of March 2020, the UK is in the containment phase for the Corona virus. That means we're still trying to limit the spread from outside and contain what already exists within our borders.

But by June/July, the cat will already be out of the bag. Restricting international travel probably won't make any material difference...

...when your neighbour in Manchester or London is as likely to have the virus as a random person in Berlin or Paris, closing borders doesn't make much sense any more.

We're definitely going hit a critical mass of infections at some point. The question is when.

That "they will go to the pub instead" logic is so badly flawed. There's not a hope in hell of tens of thousands of fans all trooping off to the boozer instead. Football fans aren't idiots.
Valencia just last night proved my logic @Pogue Mahone

And how would you respond to the fact that we have 5 million journeys on the London tube every single day?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yes agreed that it can only be short period. But my point is that's inevitable. Better now than later. Other countries have to learn from Italy.
Depends. I assume with a quarantine you are confident that the situation, the R rate, will be better on the other side of the quarantine. If the UK were to quarantine for 3 weeks now, would the situation be better or would people be looking to pick up life again in a worse situation? I don’t think it will be better then. Can you quarantine for month, six weeks? Even in six weeks we might not have peaked. There would be social unrest and massive knock on effects from any quarantine of more than a few weeks.

Doing it too early also compromises the effectiveness of self isolation. It is much more difficult to self isolate an adult, when the schools of their two children are closed, their partner’s workplace is shut and all cultural and social events are closed off. You are just creating mini cruise ships/petri dishes and sending healthy people to be confined with sick. After 14 or 21 days you then release all these new cases into the wild. Currently, the families of those confirmed cases are much safer leading their normal lives, if they are given the all clear, then they are being forced to stay at home with the sick.

Darlington Padgett

I think this seasons CL has been damaged by one leg of two legged ties being played behind closed doors. If the PL were to follow suit from here on in it wouldn’t be just as bad because it’s not knockout and most teams will have similar number of home and away games. The bottom line though is there is no easy and completely fair solution to any of these problems.

Maybe if the Euros weren’t happening there might be a way to at least delay and reassess in one or two months time. Public health must come first and I can see a situation where the season is entirely cancelled.
China is still battling it after 4 months so I don't think it might just go away fast enough for it to be possible to do it during the break. The problem with playing behind closed doors is that fans will still gather outside the stadium. Season should be declaren void, having players travel around won't help. Putting the fans and players at risk. As you said health must come first and I can see that situation as well.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

But to say, cancelling all sports will have no effect at all, its blatantly not true.
It may do something, but weighed up against the costs and implications of doing it, the net benefits may be small. Doing it alone will likely offer little value whilst life goes on outside of it.

For argument’s sake, you don’t play a game behind closed doors at Old Trafford to prevent a possible 0-3 new cases of transmission. That’s still manageable. We are still talking about tiny numbers in the UK. There’s no big outbreaks yet. If that’s your risk appetite, you’d literally never open the stadium.

Last edited:

MadMike

To be fair, as of March 2020, the UK is in the containment phase for the Corona virus. That means we're still trying to limit the spread from outside and contain what already exists within our borders.

But by June/July, the cat will already be out of the bag. Restricting international travel probably won't make any material difference...

...when your neighbour in Manchester or London is as likely to have the virus as a random person in Berlin or Paris, closing borders doesn't make much sense any more.

We're definitely going hit a critical mass of infections at some point. The question is when.
Of course it makes both sense and a difference. You think you could bring a few hundred thousand tourists for a couple of weeks into London in the middle of a pandemic? What happens if 2% (that's 2k on 100k tourists by the way) become ill enough to need ICU treatment. You got a couple of thousand ICU beds going spare?

International sport events are stopped because people are all congregating in one city/area for a time. They are not spread across the whole country. Meaning both higher infection rates and bigger strain on local health services. Something that can't be allowed to happen when the health service is inundated and operating over capacity.

I have claimed it would have "no effect at all", just that is will be minimal in comparison @VintageWhatnots and nothing more than a PR stunt.

The UK are basing their response on SAGE and...

Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) have so far resisted calls for more draconian measures, such as banning people from attending soccer matches, or closing schools. When few people in Britain have the virus, such moves would achieve little, they argue.

Banning people from attending sports events, where scientists regard an infectious person as unlikely to pass the disease to very many around them
, could be counter-productive if people instead watch matches in pubs, where the disease is more likely to spread.
And here's Dr. Patricia Daly, (the chief of health services for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics)
During a pandemic, there’s really not a lot of evidence that canceling mass gatherings is of much benefit,” told the Journal. The Vancouver Games came after the peak of the 2009 H1N1 swine flu outbreak.
“If you think back to H1N1, you probably don’t recall a lot of cancellations.
Pogue (unlike him actually) has a nice rosey eyed view of people it seems, and apparently they won't go to the pub, or congregate outside the stadium like Valencia fans did just last night. I'm sorry but unless you put Cities on lockdown, people absolutely will, no doubt whatsoever. They will eat in cafes, restaurants, ride the tube, the bus etc.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surely, if we see the way Getafe's president has announced they will not be traveling for the away leg against Milan, we can't be far away from the European competitions being suspended / cancelled?

I mean if teams start taking it upon themselves and not wanting to travel due to the (understandable) concerns about wanting to protect their players, UEFA would need to appreciate they would need to take some sort of action to end the tournaments?

Dante

Average bang
Of course it makes both sense and a difference. You think you could bring a few hundred thousand tourists for a couple of weeks into London in the middle of a pandemic? What happens if 2% (that's 2k on 100k tourists by the way) become ill enough to need ICU treatment. You got a couple of thousand ICU beds going spare?

International sport events are stopped because people are all congregating in one city/area for a time. They are not spread across the whole country. Meaning both higher infection rates and bigger strain on local health services. Something that can't be allowed to happen when the health service is inundated and operating over capacity.
It wouldn't be for a couple of weeks. The Euros will be played on a match-by-match basis at each location.

Dave_MUFC

Wonder if Spain, Germany, Italy and France will announce league champions if season is halted? Makes sense as season is nearly 3/4 complete. Teams still waiting to do it all in the final quarter (City to win the league, Norwich to escape relegation, etc) is an unlikely scenario given how the rest of the season has panned out. Freeze the positions and move on to next season I reckon.

Will give Arsenal, Utd, Wolves, Chelsea more focus on staying in CL positions to not get frozen out when the music stops.
You're forgetting about all the teams in between, like Villa, West Ham in the relegation battle, Leeds, Fulham in the promotion battle etc. How would lower league play offs be sorted? If they decide to write off this season, I don't think they can take those actions, they would just have to reset the season next season.

Rooney1987

That's what they were going to do in Seria A before the suspension.

FA should suspend the 3pm rule also.
Isn’t this more of a government rule? I remember a few years ago Real and Barca had a 4pm Saturday kick off on Sky and we all missed the first half because if that stupid rule.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
You're forgetting about all the teams in between, like Villa, West Ham in the relegation battle, Leeds, Fulham in the promotion battle etc. How would lower league play offs be sorted? If they decide to write off this season, I don't think they can take those actions, they would just have to reset the season next season.
They would all be sorted by freezing the positions as a huge part of the season has already been played. But you're right, if this goes to the vote the losers in this situation will be against and vice versa. Stalemate.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

That's now Getafe, Wolves and Roma who cannot/will not travel for their games on Thursday.

Dave_MUFC

They would all be sorted by freezing the positions as a huge part of the season has already been played. But you're right, if this goes to the vote the losers in this situation will be against and vice versa. Stalemate.
Yeah, you can say the season is almost over, but all those teams I have stated are within a couple of points within each other, so one result changes the standings completely. Can't imagine that decision would come without some insane amount of protesting and legal cases etc. as the financial differences to your team to staying up or going down, getting promoted etc. is massive. Making the season void would be the only logical decision if they are left with no choice.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Valencia just last night proved my logic @Pogue Mahone

And how would you respond to the fact that we have 5 million journeys on the London tube every single day?
Any idea exactly how many people congregated outside the stadium in Valencia last night? Do you think it was the same amount that would have congregated inside the stadium if they hadn't played the game behind closed doors? I suspect not. Not to mention that I guaran-fecking-tee they'll get bored of doing that pretty damn quick.

The tube is an essential transport system that would cripple London overnight if it was shut down. How do you think most nurses and doctors in London get to work? Comparing the importance of keeping the tube running with the importance of letting football fans continue to attend games is laughable tbh.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

That's now Getafe, Wolves and Roma who cannot/will not travel for their games on Thursday.
Looking like a diplomatic incident brewing between Spain and Italy. This feels very tit for tat given the relative number of cases in the two countries. Don't what those Italian viruses taking up the jobs earmarked for those hard-working Spanish viruses.

red4ever 79

Surely, if we see the way Getafe's president has announced they will not be traveling for the away leg against Milan, we can't be far away from the European competitions being suspended / cancelled?

I mean if teams start taking it upon themselves and not wanting to travel due to the (understandable) concerns about wanting to protect their players, UEFA would need to appreciate they would need to take some sort of action to end the tournaments?
Surprised Utd are going to Austria. All the borders are closed here between Italy>Austria>Czech Republic. I wouldnt go anywhere now

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The tube is an essential transport system that would cripple London overnight if it was shut down. How do you think most nurses and doctors in London get to work? Comparing the importance of keeping the tube running with the importance of letting football fans continue to attend games is laughable tbh.
Pogue, the additional risk for fans attending the vast majority of football matches in this country, whilst continuing to live their normal lives, is utterly negligible.

Pogue, the additional risk for fans attending the vast majority of football matches in this country, whilst continuing to live their normal lives, is utterly negligible.
Which is my entire point.

Pogue thinks I'm comparing it, I'm not. I'm saying, if you for example live in London and travel on the tube every day... is your risk increased even by 1% by going to a game at Stamford Bridge? Not on your life.

As I posted earlier, the governments own Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies says that banning people from attending sports events, where scientists regard an infectious person as unlikely to pass the disease to very many around them could be counter-productive if people instead watch matches in pubs, where the disease is more likely to spread.

You asked me Pogue how many Valencia fans there were and question if I think it was the same amount that would have congregated inside the stadium if they hadn't played the game behind closed doors?

No mate, and you're being rather naive if you don't think a shit load of fans didn't go directly to the pub instead or "get bored of doing that pretty damn quick" and then go to the pubs instead. Places where they are far more likely to catch or spread the infection.

redshaw

I wouldn't expect a team outside of Italy to play in Milan. When the country stops all league games, how can you allow a Europa game to be played still. Italy's rule doesn't apply to international tournaments but there's no logic in allowing the Inter game to go ahead, you either stop the games or you don't. Perhaps in some remote part of Italy barely affected but this is in the most infected region of Europe.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Which is my entire point.

Pogue thinks I'm comparing it, I'm not. I'm saying, if you live in London, travel on the tube every day... is your risk increased even by 1% by going to a game at Stamford Bridge? Not on your life.
You might as well throw measures out there like banning all food takeaway delivery, or closing the public and private postal systems down. The risk of these things causing an uncontrollable outbreak is so relatively small currently, given what we know about confirmed cases, that their benefits to people far outweigh the threat they offer to public health.

Of course, if cases are found with people who attended Old Trafford or worked as a Deliveroo driver, then you adjust accordingly.