Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

RedDevilRoshi

I think regarding European football the only way to do it that would be sort of fair would be to just not have any European football next season.
If nobody has it then nobody is at a disadvantage.
Obviously this would still be rubbish for the likes of Wolves and Sheff Utd but to me it’s much fairer than having last seasons champions league teams get another go at it for free.
Obviously this would be bad for us too, I think given our form we’d have been likely to get champions league football and maybe win one or two of the trophies available to us, but it is what it is.
Hopefully they can finish the season even if it’s behind closed doors.
That’s what I was thinking but there is no way UEFA will sanction that. There is far too much money involved.

I personally don’t think there is a solution out there that will suit all parties. Whatever gets implemented will please some teams and disappoint others. Everything is a guessing game just now and no one knows what’s happening right now or what the future holds.

Acquire Me

Ad-hoc solution of awarding Liverpool the title while asking rest of the PL to make do with 2018-19 table is never going to work. It's going to be contested by other 19 clubs and opens up litany of law suits which I suspect FA would've little intention of dealing with.
Exactly. Not going to happen.

Fake title holders would be a bit brilliant though :lol:

arnie_ni

I honestly think the following situation is extremely possible:

- Season is not finished
- There are no champions for 19/20
- There are no relegations or promotions
- Current top 4 excluding City get into Europe

Which would obviously be a wet dream for us

If they put last seasons top 4 into Europe it wouldn’t be fair as 2 of them have already been knocked out so you would be reinstating them into the competition. This would be ridiculous as Spurs would qualify for a competition they have already been eliminated from and were looking likely not to qualify for next year.
You cant do that. Your making two rules up. If the season is cancelled its last yrs seedings for determining Europe

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Does everyone here genuinely think Liverpool we’re going to win the league? It seemed obvious to me they were going to bottle it after recent form and injuries.

Now the league is cancelled and they get the league? feck that
I’m with you on that

arnie_ni

I wonder could all the leagues come to one agreement. If one league does one thing and another league something else itl give more up roar

spiriticon

Yeah if this season is cancelled it's the Europa League for us next season for sure.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
So, what if they gave Liverpool the title despite the fact that they could be mathematically caught, started a new season, played 5 games and then an even bigger Corona outbreak occurred...?

They would then have to give whoever was at the top after 5 games a PL title.

My point is, where's the line drawn? It sets a dangerous precedent to start giving out trophies for unfinished campaigns.

If the entire population is being told to 'take it on the chin' by Boris Nonsense, meaning at least hundreds of thousands of humans will die, then Liverpool can deal with this. It's not a big deal.
A key difference is that after 5 games the team at the top of the league could be mathematically caught by every single team in the league, whereas after 29 games Liverpool are 25 points ahead of the only team that could catch them. Man City haven't won more than 4 league games in a row all season, so in all probability Man City wouldn't get 26 points from the remaining 30 and even if they did, Liverpool would get the 6 points they need from the remaining 27 available.

To suggest anything different to this is clutching at straws!

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Seemingly, that's all these feckers in the media (not all of them) care about it that Liverpool get the title. The general sentiment just reads to me like "sort the scousers out first, they're most important, then whatever happens to the rest of them, happens"

RedRJ

Not sure if something along these lines has already been suggested, and it’s a far from perfect idea, but how about:

1. No relegation this season, with 2 clubs promoted.
2. 5 relegated and 3 promoted next season.
3. This season played to a finish with results counting towards next season‘s fixtures.

I appreciate that this would be difficult to implement, especially around fixtures for the promoted clubs. Also don’t know what you do around European places, but it at least reduces the number of fixtures necessary to complete this season and then moving onto next season.

DVG7

Yes. I don’t know a Rangers fan who thinks we can catch them.
at least you’re consistent. I’m the opposite, I think it should just all be voided without any official declaration of champions. Too many variables to be comfortable with an outcome that awards a domestic leagues grandest prize to the “would be” winners. Messes up 10 in a row aswell

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
The easiest solution is to play out the league and delay the start of next season. 8 games can be played in 3 weeks. If it is August who cares. Next season can start in September.

I think it will be finished at some point. Cup competitions could be scrapped at this point.

DVG7

Seemingly, that's all these feckers in the media (not all of them) care about it that Liverpool get the title. The general sentiment just reads to me like "sort the scousers out first, they're most important, then whatever happens to the rest of them, happens"

before posting an article from anyone in the media, you have to remember that their job is to get discussion moving, and the easiest way to do that is be controversial. It’s the one constant across the industry, the story that sells the most is the story you go with

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
before posting an article from anyone in the media, you have to remember that their job is to get discussion moving, and the easiest way to do that is be controversial. It’s the one constant across the industry, the story that sells the most is the story you go with
Believe me, i'm fully aware of how the media operates. Doesn't make it any less nauseous.

Thiagoal

Not much point speculating on what will happen at this point! No one knows how corona will play out! Could go on for months or suddenly disappear tomorrow like viruses have in the past! Needs to be a wait and see approach

No eye dear

Once again, the real problem is the league one and two clubs that may not survive this enforced end to the season, Liverpool may or may not be awarded the title, but their fans will have a team to watch, some fans probably won't, but I'm 60 years old and I've never known the scouser give a feck about anyone but themselves anyway, self pity city

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema

It’s ridiculous - Liverpool are NOT the important ones here!!

Aston Villa could be relegated with a game-in-hand that could’ve raised them out of the drop-zone; Sheffield United have a game-in-hand that could see them raise up to fifth and thus a Champions League spot if the City ban comes into effect next season; Arsenal have a game-in-hand that could put them in the European positions, and teams like Chelsea have difficult runs-in left that could see them drop-out of the Champions League places themselves for another team’s benefit. And that’s without getting into the situation in the Championship.

Liverpool are not more important than any of those teams. I can’t see how you can award them a title they haven’t won without doing the above as well, and that’s not fair to those teams.

If the season can’t be completed, it has to voided completely - it’s nobody’s fault, it’s just the reality we are living with now.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Reckon we're going to enter a weird mini transfer season in the press as they run out of things to write about. Expect us to be linked with every player under the sun and a Pogba saga.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I also wonder if with all this free time now whether City should be forced to do their appeal on the ban to the court of arbitration. Maybe UEFA should make a preemptive case to get a ruling sorted.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A key difference is that after 5 games the team at the top of the league could be mathematically caught by every single team in the league, whereas after 29 games Liverpool are 25 points ahead of the only team that could catch them. Man City haven't won more than 4 league games in a row all season, so in all probability Man City wouldn't get 26 points from the remaining 30 and even if they did, Liverpool would get the 6 points they need from the remaining 27 available.

To suggest anything different to this is clutching at straws!
I didn't know that assuptions and odds are valid in sports when you are deciding who wins what. :houllier:. I understand how you Liverpool fans feel. First title in 30 years so emotions are high but use some common sense ffs. To suggest that league is played only for Liverpool is ridiculous. There are 19 clubs more involved in this league. And they are all affected with this. So everything used for Liverpool will be used for other clubs.
Are you mathematically champions? NO! So giving you a title would be based on assumption. Which creates domino effect. We ( United) can say then that we are in best form in league and we would catch 3rd place. Norwich can say that they have more points in last 5 games then lets say West Ham and that they need to avoid relegation. SU have game in hand and can say that they would 100% win that game and finish above United. Some other club will say that they played more away games than home games. Etc...etc...

League have 38 games. All games must be played. If not, league is not valid. Simple as that.
Yeah, it sucks. It is not fair. Life is not fair. You are morale winners and shit like that. But if league will not be finished you are not valid winners. Except for you ( Liverpool fans).

IF FA decides to use current standings i fully expect from us, Spurs, Su, Wolves, Arsenal and some other clubs to make appeal on court. Canceling whole season is only logical thing to do

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It’s ridiculous - Liverpool are NOT the important ones here!!

Aston Villa could be relegated with a game-in-hand that could’ve raised them out of the drop-zone; Sheffield United have a game-in-hand that could see them raise up to fifth and thus a Champions League spot if the City ban comes into effect next season; Arsenal have a game-in-hand that could put them in the European positions, and teams like Chelsea have difficult runs-in left that could see them drop-out of the Champions League places themselves for another team’s benefit. And that’s without getting into the situation in the Championship.

Liverpool are not more important than any of those teams. I can’t see how you can award them a title they haven’t won without doing the above as well, and that’s not fair to those teams.

If the season can’t be completed, it has to voided completely - it’s nobody’s fault, it’s just the reality we are living with now.
It's pathetic. I understand Liverpool being the focus of everyone on here because it's a United forum and, being a United fan myself, i'm not going to sit here and pretend for one second that if this did lead to a cancellation of the season and Liverpool didn't win the title, it will fill me with utter joy - there's no denying that. But taking all biases aside, the way that they've been banging on about it in the media as if it's the most important thing in the world is pathetic. Even a global pandemic can't stop them from fawning over these feckers. Let's just hand them the title, and whatever happens to everyone else, happens. That's the sentiment i get from it. Obviously they're not saying that explicitly, but that's the feeling you get.

I understand that it's an issue that needs to be addressed, but come on.

Josh 76

The easiest solution is to play out the league and delay the start of next season. 8 games can be played in 3 weeks. If it is August who cares. Next season can start in September.

I think it will be finished at some point. Cup competitions could be scrapped at this point.
Fair point.
But in reality there will be no more football this year.

Greck

If Liverpool are awarded it it would be a honorary title. The kind that fills them with emptiness because they will say "19 titles" and we will say 18 and a half

clarkydaz

If it were Man city on the brink of winning the league title would the media be just as vocal?

Sparky Rhiwabon

You can't have it both ways - either the season is null and void and nothing stands - no Champion, no relegation, etc - OR everything stands and they find some way of working it out as fairly as possible OR they find a way to complete the season

You can't have Liverpool being called Champions, but everything else being voided...especially given their track record of letting it slip

Pav1878

H
It's pathetic. I understand Liverpool being the focus of everyone on here because it's a United forum and, being a United fan myself, i'm not going to sit here and pretend for one second that if this did lead to a cancellation of the season and Liverpool didn't win the title, it will fill me with utter joy - there's no denying that. But taking all biases aside, the way that they've been banging on about it in the media as if it's the most important thing in the world is pathetic. Even a global pandemic can't stop them from fawning over these feckers. Let's just hand them the title, and whatever happens to everyone else, happens. That's the sentiment i get from it. Obviously they're not saying that explicitly, but that's the feeling you get.

I understand that it's an issue that needs to be addressed, but come on.
Exactly how I feel. The 'Liverpool Situation' seems to be top priority and then everything else can be sorted to fit around that it seems.

Personally I think all the clubs in the PL and FL should have a vote on the three options and that should be that.

Those reports saying that the general consensus amongst other clubs is to give the title to Liverpool is complete garbage, Karen Brady has already said to void it and I'm sure others will agree. Of course there will be some who want to give the title to Liverpool, but I bet you they are the midtable mediocrity clubs who are unaffected by this and want to be seen to be on a moral high ground.

Utd7

Most logical and fair solution is void the season. No champion, no relegation, no promotion, no European football next season. Clean slate for 2020-21 season.
No CL and Europa will hurt UEFA financially but these are extraordinary circumstances.