Could this be the beginning of something?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
How did I know there would be a Fergie analogy in the op?
Maybe because he was out most successful and longest serving manager, and the only manager of the club I ever knew growing up?
Still, it was a comparison of score lines and fortunes, not managers hence his name isn’t mentioned. Nobody can compare to the great man.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It’s a nice stat about our heaviest defeats being in October, I hadn’t realised that.

But as for the main topic? Nah, it’s too far gone. Besides, the examples with Fergie weren’t the start of something, they were a blip in the middle - he’d already won the league and been successful. There’s nothing to suggest Ole can do that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This whole idea you need to “rebuild” after each manager is a nonsense. You don’t. You hire and sack until you find a good one. It really is that simple for a club with resources like ours.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
But... why?

Are you from peak John Lennon era, being a certified dreamer?

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.
We went on to claim our 4th title in 5 years.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

23 October 2011 we lost to City 6-1 and only finished 2nd on goal difference.

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)
That’s the spirit! I love positivity like that, true supporter.

SER19

This poor soul. What admirable optimism.

But no. It won't be the start of anything but another inconsistent run of false dawns followed by Sheffield United at home style capitulation

GioF

What games this season have we actually played like a team and performed well??

Plant0x84

What games this season have we actually played like a team and performed well??
Leeds - before Ronaldo. I genuinely think he has had an affect on the way we play, because of the way he plays. I’m not saying it’s all his fault because clearly it isn’t, and it’s on the manager to work out the best way to accommodate him but I do think it’s a factor.

lex talionis

I don’t think drawing comparisons between domestic abuse and a man doing his his job as a football manager is particularly tasteful or appropriate. Maybe that’s just me.
You're right. It was inappropriate. My apologies.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Haven’t read all the responses but have you had any supportive responses @Plant0x84?

Not being facetious, genuinely curious of where the Ole supporters are.

justsomebloke

An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)
I don't think so. But thanks for making the point.

Unfortunately not, mate. The difference is that performances have been shocking all season. Only the Leeds game we can claim to have dominated from start to finish.

Cloud7

This thread seems like an extended version of Ole's "We are too close to give up now!"

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

All disastrous results can be consigned to the record books pretty quickly with a turnaround in form, followed by actual achievements usually in the form of silverware.

It’s easier said than done though. The problem where we find ourselves now is less the 4-2 and 0-5 losses, but more the consistently underwhelming performances and defensive porosity. That’s far harder to fix.

Okey

The beginning of the end of Ole's reign, Yes. Probably gone by the international break. Ain't no happy endings on the horizon with Ole in charge, No.

lemmiwink

All of those matches were end to end stuff. The city game ended 6-1 cause united went gung ho with 10 men and city took advantage of that.
The Liverpool match had no courage, no effort and no grit. It was 11 players completely lacking any sort of passion and that is the way we have been playing for over 6 months.

There is no light at the end of this tunnel, just a freight train coming our way. We should get a competent manager in right now to salvage whatever we can from this season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm actually genuinely astounded he's not been sacked.

No amount of drivel (I mean credit for trying) can make it even begin to make sense.

The absolute best case scenario is the players demonstrate a frankly incredible level of professionalism and we crawl our way to whenever the next humiliation is and he gets sacked then instead.

Much more likely is we'll get crapped all over by either spurs or city and end up with half the players so angry at the lack of action from the club that they have their agents looking for a new one.

Imagine how angry you'd already be if you were Eric Bailly, Fernandes, Sancho, etc.

Okey

This whole idea you need to “rebuild” after each manager is a nonsense. You don’t. You hire and sack until you find a good one. It really is that simple for a club with resources like ours.
This! I don't know why we keep talking rebuilds and long term. Give me sustained success even if it means a new manager every 2 years and I'd bite your hands off. Chelsea ain't doing too badly in that respect.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

No amount of drivel (I mean credit for trying) can make it even begin to make sense.

The absolute best case scenario is the players demonstrate a frankly incredible level of professionalism and we crawl our way to whenever the next humiliation is and he gets sacked then instead.

Much more likely is we'll get crapped all over by either spurs or city and end up with half the players so angry at the lack of action from the club that they have their agents looking for a new one
The only positive spin I can find is that the board are trying to find their replacement and not rush into Conte as a knee jerk. Im really hoping the delay is just for them to get time for due diligence done on the successor.

They should have had that in their back pocket from the getgo though.

Plant0x84

Much more likely is we'll get crapped all over by either spurs or city and end up with half the players so angry at the lack of action from the club that they have their agents looking for a new one.

Imagine how angry you'd already be if you were Eric Bailly, Fernandes, Sancho, etc.
Not sure the players can be angry at the club without taking a look at themselves first.

Plant0x84

Haven’t read all the responses but have you had any supportive responses @Plant0x84?

Not being facetious, genuinely curious of where the Ole supporters are.
There have been a handful of more reasonable and measured responses. Thing is, this wasn’t really an Ole in/out thread - more of a do you think we have it in us as a club to turn it round without change. The examples o gave were supposed to illustrate it’s possible and happened before, albeit in different circumstances.
I certainly don’t believe that the team are performing well, and that usually leads to one thing. I get that, but there are reasons it might not and this was a peek into an alternate future where we somehow miraculously get our shit together.

croadyman

We are so old fashioned with our approach to these things and we really need to get with the modern times

Dansk

Last time we won a game convincingly was the 4-1 against Newcastle a month and a half ago. We're almost in November now. Since then, we've won three out of our last nine games, and all three wins were desperate lategame one-goal victories where Ronaldo scored in the nick of time. We've spent about 600% more time behind than ahead in the last month and a half. We've been leading for 41 minutes in the last nine games. We've been one or more goals down for 247 minutes in that same stretch of games. This is some of the worst I've ever seen.

Nothing indicates that it's the start of anything. Compared to 1996, the league is brutally difficult to win nowadays. We were up against Newcastle, a Liverpool side that was in the midst of a thirty-year league title drought, and an Arsenal that had just sacked its manager and hired Arsene Wenger. This is no longer a league that you can win after an extended stretch of bad form. We're only nine matches in and we're trailing Chelsea by eight points, Liverpool by seven, and City by six. It's unthinkable that we catch up. We'll go out of the first CL knockout round, too. Two late winners by Ronaldo have kept us alive in one of the easiest groups in the tournament. If not for that, we'd probably already be in a position to give up on advancement.

Oh, and we're out of both cups, too. The only thing we can realistically hope for at this point is a top 4 finish. As with every season under Ole.

Someone

Something
Regardless to results, the moment a manager loses the trust of his player, it's over. Nothing else matters.

Ole is done, but nothing stops us from having a good beginning with someone else.

bonothom

That's the trouble with this club. We are stuck in the past. Somebody else said it, we are making the same mistakes as Liverpool in the 90's. Unless United change this "United way" shit we are going to be stuck in a time loop of winning nothing and going nowhere.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Great thread. New opinion. Well researched. Love this. Well done. I hope you might be right !!

Plant0x84

Last time we won a game convincingly was the 4-1 against Newcastle a month and a half ago. We're almost in November now. Since then, we've won three out of our last nine games, and all three wins were desperate lategame one-goal victories where Ronaldo scored in the nick of time. We've spent about 600% more time behind than ahead in the last month and a half. We've been leading for 41 minutes in the last nine games. We've been one or more goals down for 247 minutes in that same stretch of games. This is some of the worst I've ever seen.

Nothing indicates that it's the start of anything. Compared to 1996, the league is brutally difficult to win nowadays. We were up against Newcastle, a Liverpool side that was in the midst of a thirty-year league title drought, and an Arsenal that had just sacked its manager and hired Arsene Wenger. This is no longer a league that you can win after an extended stretch of bad form. We're only nine matches in and we're trailing Chelsea by eight points, Liverpool by seven, and City by six. It's unthinkable that we catch up. We'll go out of the first CL knockout round, too. Two late winners by Ronaldo have kept us alive in one of the easiest groups in the tournament. If not for that, we'd probably already be in a position to give up on advancement.

Oh, and we're out of both cups, too. The only thing we can realistically hope for at this point is a top 4 finish. As with every season under Ole.
How are we out of FA Cup? We don’t play until January….

always_hoping

Last season after 9 games United had 16 points getting well beaten by Palace, Spurs and flunked a win over Brighton.

Back then United had the excuse of little or no pre season work done and a hang over from the previous season, there was a promise that the team and players would improve once they got up to speed. They did and United even went top of the table for short period before 2nd place was secured with a few games to spare.

That excuse isn't there now and I'm not sure what's going to bring improvement now other than a change of management and educated guess says that change will be made at the international break.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I was just watching Ferguson on prime and it covered him almost getting the sack after losing 5-1 etc with Fergie out banners etc. At the end of the day, there is a chance that being in a big low happens no matter who is the manager and there is always ups and downs. Maybe this is the biggest down we have had since a while, but it doesn't mean it wont get better

oreon

Since Ole took over, City have won the league & multiple Carabao cups. Chelsea have the the UCL & Europa, Liverpool have won the league and the UCL, Arsenal won an FA cup, Leicester won a FA cup. UTD have won nothing

While UTD are always a season away from challenging every season. Just give Ole more time. While we give Ole more time, our rivals are catching up and passing us in the trophy count. Only a matter of time till Liverpool have one more premier league title. Only a matter time till City win the UCL and only a matter till Chelsea equal our UCL count.

Some clubs go by hope & delusions while others actual performance and results. We can clearly see which one UTD are.

Giggsy13

Desperately clutching at straws, no wonder we're a laughing stock.

oreon

I was just watching Ferguson on prime and it covered him almost getting the sack after losing 5-1 etc with Fergie out banners etc. At the end of the day, there is a chance that being in a big low happens no matter who is the manager and there is always ups and downs. Maybe this is the biggest down we have had since a while, but it doesn't mean it wont get better
Why would it get better ? You know why people get stuck in their lives its because they can keep on hoping things will get better instead of learning and taking action.
UTD can continue to waste another season hoping an manager without a track record of success can turn it around. Or they learn from all their appointments, see what went wrong and make a better choice with someone who had proven success.

Moyes: Failed because had no previous experience at a big club. Job too big for him
LVG: Failed because he hadn't coached in club football for 10 years. His methods were outdated
Mourinho: Failed because of outdated methods. Also he had failed in his previous appointments. This was a manager in decline
Ole: I wouldn't call him a failure, just unable to take the next steps because of lack of a system and inexperience

So instead of saying we tried big name managers and it didn't work. The board need to examine why it didn't work and make a better choice. Because other clubs have changed managers, made the right choices and won