Could this be the beginning of something?

Moriarty

So instead of saying we tried big name managers and it didn't work. The board need to examine why it didn't work and make a better choice. Because other clubs have changed managers, made the right choices and won
So who will advise the Glazers on the best choice for our new manager? Arnold? Woodward? Fergie? Might as well throw a bunch of names into a hat and see who gets drawn first. Such an abject lack of planning from 2013 on and it continues to this day. Might as well keep Ole in there if that's the case.

Dansk

I was just watching Ferguson on prime and it covered him almost getting the sack after losing 5-1 etc with Fergie out banners etc. At the end of the day, there is a chance that being in a big low happens no matter who is the manager and there is always ups and downs. Maybe this is the biggest down we have had since a while, but it doesn't mean it wont get better
SAF had done an astonishing job at Aberdeen and had proven his qualities. He was also an obvious leader and a huge personality, and while one wouldn't say that Man Utd was an impoverished club when he took over, he certainly far fewer resources available to him than Ole has had. There are no indications whatsoever that Ole might turn this around, not a single thread of evidence that things might get better. He appears to be tactically inept, and he now appears to have lost the dressing room as well.

Womp

idiot
The only positive spin I can find is that the board are trying to find their replacement and not rush into Conte as a knee jerk. Im really hoping the delay is just for them to get time for due diligence done on the successor.

They should have had that in their back pocket from the getgo though.
How I feel too.

Stig

Which of the current team have currently spoken out against Ole ?

Also, I have an idea, why don't we ask one of the player's dad to take over for a few games while the manager and coaching staff have a rest ?

Stig

The only positive spin I can find is that the board are trying to find their replacement and not rush into Conte as a knee jerk. Im really hoping the delay is just for them to get time for due diligence done on the successor.

They should have had that in their back pocket from the getgo though.
I think that they might be considering bringing in a two man team of Mark Hughes and Brian Kidd.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Watch us get thrashed against Spurs. Squad unity seems to be at a dismal low and Ole staying for the next few games hasn't help.

Denis79

An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.
We went on to claim our 4th title in 5 years.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

23 October 2011 we lost to City 6-1 and only finished 2nd on goal difference.

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)
We've been here before with Ole. Every season since he took over we're either on a flying run or crawling in the mud. If he stays it will be like that this season as well.

This isn't a question of form or confidence in our players. We lack the required experience at leadership level to be consistent enough to truly compete.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Watch us get thrashed against Spurs. Squad unity seems to be at a dismal low and Ole staying for the next few games hasn't help.
We'll beat Spurs. Even in this bad state I fancy our chances against them. They're a poor side whose talisman has turned to shit.

GioF

Leeds - before Ronaldo. I genuinely think he has had an affect on the way we play, because of the way he plays. I’m not saying it’s all his fault because clearly it isn’t, and it’s on the manager to work out the best way to accommodate him but I do think it’s a factor.
So one game?! Of which if Leeds were clinical that game could of been 6-6 or some other stupid scoreline.

We’ve been dreadful this season mate…I wish the game on Sunday was a blip or an anomaly but the fact is all the signs were pointing towards this happening and Ole did nothing to prevent it. Even a few of his old teammates said on live TV what would happen Sunday and he again did nothing.

Lindelof has been abused the last few games and yet he still plays him. The McFred midfield doesn’t work and yet he doesn’t adapt. He pins his hopes on a big of magic from Ronaldo, Bruno, Pogba etc.

Things will not change as much as we would all love it too. Let’s not pretend to be overly optimistic just for the sake of it. You need to look at the facts, the performance and the character of the team. It’s all so far away from what we need.

wolvored

An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996....

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)
At that stage we had won umpteen trophies under Fergie. There really is no comparison with how we recovered and the shitshow under Ole. Nothing there just move on with another manager.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
That's the most optimistic bit of writing I've ever seen.

Look forward to coming back when city have put 6 past us.

macko12345

I think we will win the next few games and things will be sorted in the locker room.
The game against Liverpool was a turning point, and don't know what but something good will come out of it, and by that, I don't mean Ole getting the sack.
The league trophy is out of the question, as well as the champions league. A new coach will only complicate things even more. let Ole stay until the summer, and then decide if he is capable of leading united or not.

red4ever 79

I think we will win the next few games and things will be sorted in the locker room.
The game against Liverpool was a turning point, and don't know what but something good will come out of it, and by that, I don't mean Ole getting the sack.
The league trophy is out of the question, as well as the champions league. A new coach will only complicate things even more. let Ole stay until the summer, and then decide if he is capable of leading united or not.
Surely you have answered your own question in your statement.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I think the league is difficult but not impossible at this point. Beat City and we could be right back in it.
If we beat Atalanta we have 9pts and have all but qualified for the knockouts based on Oles 10pt metric.
If we put a cup run together we could easily win an FA Cup, or even go deep in the CL. There’s loads to play for if the lads come out fighting.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Liverpool result won't be the worst. We have City to play soon.

And unlike Liverpool, Pep and City will not stop after 5 goals. It could honestly get much much worse. Also the fact that our fiercest rivals played in 2nd gear because they didn't want to injure their players and conserve energy is as humiliating as it gets.
We're not rivals in anything other than the media.

They don't worry about us they are only looking to City and Chelsea.

We are the old actress that once won a few things that keeps turning up to things in a desperate bid to stay relevant.

McGrathsipan

We will get over it, like we got over the city thrashing. Everyone is way too emotional and dramatic. It’s 3 points, it stings more given the manner and who it was. Do we not all want a more stable club with less jerking from one thing to another? Rebuild after rebuild etc? Agree we are poor lately but we were decent last year and I can’t see why we can’t get back to at least how we were last year then go from there. I am not wanting a big ole in/out debate but if he can change this round it will be the right decision, if he doesn’t ok it’s wrong but I just think given the options- let’s see what happens keeping him for now.
You know what will happen. We might get a few wins and settle down as its just impossible not to win a few with the players on the books.

But the football will still be shit and we'll still win nothing of note and we'll be back in this position when the reverse run of these fixtures happen.

He'll just sit there with his Ipad and look lost

McGrathsipan

I've already decided by watching the football.
He's not capable, that's fairly clear

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I hope Ole comes out swinging, wins the next few then sees out the season and we end it in a respectable manner (top 4 and ideally a trophy) Then if I was him I would tell everyone to shove it and resign given the majority of players and fans all seem pretty quick to Chuck him under the bus.
Key word "HOPE"

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?

Difference between the start of your argument and end is management. Sir Alex was already a born winner whereas Ole hasn't would anything in the calibre that Sir Alex did.

LoneStar

We're not rivals in anything other than the media.

They don't worry about us they are only looking to City and Chelsea.

We are the old actress that once won a few things that keeps turning up to things in a desperate bid to stay relevant.
I think Pep appreciates the derby though. And every opposition, particularly City, will sense our weakness and go for the kill. If we continue to play like we did agaisnt Pool, I'm genuinely concerned that the scoreline would be much worse.

owlo

You have to have a special level of delusion to think this is anything but a painful end. You'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't still stinking up the place.

No manager can survive this level of player mutiny and club talk. It only goes downhill from here.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The beginning of the end maybe? After four failed appointments and decade of being also rans, maybe we really are a fallen giant now? My mates have been telling for years comparing us to Milan. I have fought tooth and nail and rejected such comparisons. Always felt the turn around is almost there. But alas. And now seeing the way the club has reacted to the drubbing at home, I think the title of fallen giants aptly fits us. Maybe I am wrong. Don't know. Basically numb.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

You can’t do this with “some” United fans these days. A very small minority are spoilt and/or gloryhunters :smirk:

Maticmaker

@Plant0x84 I agreed with your original post about October being something of a 'hoodoo' month for United and even when it has been really bad, we have on occasions bounced back and won title in the same year!
Whilst I appreciate your optimism I would point out however things are different. Back then with SAF 'at the wheel' and Gill at the helm the management of the club overall was settled and was all about being the best in football. Sometimes it was a sharp 'kick up the pants' that was needed and of course SAF could provide it.

Nowadays Ole, despite his man-management skills, does not have the depth and breadth of experience and its clear he his still 'learning on the job', whats more the new 'helmsman' (whether Woodward or Avram Glazer) are basically steering a different course. Making money is the primary objective, success on the field is a prerequisite, but not the primary objective.
Most of the big name players brought in to 'improve' the team have rarely done so Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez nothing, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, arguably Cavani, gave some assistance but were never long term, Lukaku was a second choice for Jose, never played to his strengths, now of course we have CR who whether his return is successful of not is likely to be short term and may impede overall squad development.
Only with Pogba and Bruno can say we have seen some ongoing contribution to squad objectives but with Pogba was (and still is) always 'hit and miss' and with Bruno its beginning to look the same.... probably because Ole never gives him a rest!

The big names have of course contributed to selling of merchandise and in recruiting new sponsors with even more money to invest. Therefore whilst Ole will probably be replaced, the underlying business model for the running the club will remain the same, more big names having their swansong and selling more shirts. The only set criteria for success will be qualification in Europe, the possible odd 'pot' now and again.

Lets hope this October signals the bottom of the barrel and the only way is up!!

Think i will just go out of the room whilst I shed a tear!

Last edited:

Castia

So basically you’re blaming the month of October for our mess?

The White Pele

If Ole does hold hope for turning this around or at least finishing his time here on a high, he could do a lot worse than reverting back to what got him the job in the first place. A solid midfield 3 with pace and quality up front. This was his initial run and midfield selections in those games:

Cardiff: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Huddersfield: Matic Fred Pogba WIN
Bournemouth: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Newcastle: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Spurs: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Brighton: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Arsenal: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Burnley: Matic Pereira Pogba DRAW
Leicester: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Fulham: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Chelsea: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Liverpool: McTominay Herrera Pogba DRAW
Palace: McTominay Fred Pogba WIN

In virtually all these games we had Lingard or Mata playing as part of the front 3. There’s no reason Bruno can’t do the same and we go back to basics.

Play Matic, Fred, VDB against Spurs and use that shape for a run of games. Pogba to come in for VDB when he returns. Pity we don’t have a younger Matic.

Plant0x84

So basically you’re blaming the month of October for our mess?
Not blaming no, just thought it was an interesting stat/facht and I liked that it demonstrated we can still achieve even if we hit a rough patch. Maybe a bit of adversity and siege mentality can get us toward where we want to be.

That said, ‘Kane doesn’t score in August’ was a thing for a few seasons pre lockdown, so why not United are Shite in October?!

Plant0x84

If Ole does hold hope for turning this around or at least finishing his time here on a high, he could do a lot worse than reverting back to what got him the job in the first place. A solid midfield 3 with pace and quality up front. This was his initial run and midfield selections in those games:

Cardiff: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Huddersfield: Matic Fred Pogba WIN
Bournemouth: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Newcastle: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Spurs: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Brighton: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Arsenal: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Burnley: Matic Pereira Pogba DRAW
Leicester: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Fulham: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Chelsea: Matic Herrera Pogba WIN
Liverpool: McTominay Herrera Pogba DRAW
Palace: McTominay Fred Pogba WIN

In virtually all these games we had Lingard or Mata playing as part of the front 3. There’s no reason Bruno can’t do the same and we go back to basics.

Play Matic, Fred, VDB against Spurs and use that shape for a run of games. Pogba to come in for VDB when he returns. Pity we don’t have a younger Matic.
I agree we should go back to that and I like this plan. 433 with Fred, VDB and Bruno.

HailtotheKing

SAF had done an astonishing job at Aberdeen and had proven his qualities. He was also an obvious leader and a huge personality, and while one wouldn't say that Man Utd was an impoverished club when he took over, he certainly far fewer resources available to him than Ole has had. There are no indications whatsoever that Ole might turn this around, not a single thread of evidence that things might get better. He appears to be tactically inept, and he now appears to have lost the dressing room as well.
Yeah, this PR spin needs to stop. Ole is no Fergie. We are constantly living in the past and it's destroying us. The only way I want to live in the past is by returning to having top of class personnel in every position. Not sure if this has been posted already but how in the F?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Finished some work that i'm really content with and just opened a nice cold beer so im feeling positive

Maybe this heavy defeat can galvanize the team and we go on a 20-game unbeaten streak. In which case. Great

Or we could keep playing like idiots and lose to Spurs and Atalatna, in which case Ole gets sacked and maybe there will be an armistice in the Great Redcafe War (2018-2021)

macko12345

Surely you have answered your own question in your statement.
Look, it's a four-horse race. It's not like ok we got Sancho, Ronaldo, and Varane and we should win the league easily. We still have below-average players at our club, and the midfield problem is not solved yet.